US White-Black wealth gap worse than apartheid South Africa

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

@Grimdalus said:

I think this quote from Tim Wise sums up the mentality of this white male dominated thread(I am also a white male):

“Ignorance of how we are shaped racially is the first sign of privilege. In other words. It is a privilege to ignore the consequences of race in America.”

Tim Wise

Many of the erroneous conclusions made about a general population may be the result of sheer ignorance; see: too much tv. However, I don't believe that the ones who constantly profess the depravity of a certain group are that ignorant. Some of these folks have demonstrated their capacity to approach an important subject or issue in a sound, competent and analytical fashion, yet completely abandon this analytical standard as it applies to certain groups. So I think it's reasonable to assume that those who routinely advertise bigotry toward others are motivated by more than just mere ignorance.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Still waiting for someone to show a shred of evidence that this is a racial issue and not in fact just an issue of there being a lack of opportunities for poor communities.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53  Edited By TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

@Grimdalus said:

@TheWalkingGhost: Maybe you should not force your privileged starting position on everyone else. There are many factors on what makes someone rich:

• access to education,
  • access to clean water, food and correct living standards
  • Access to information
  • Geographical location
  • Country born in
  • Race
  • Gender and many more. Thinking anyone can succeed in America regardless of race is absurd, you are clearly detached from the material conditions in America. A poor black child growing up in the ghettos of Detroit would not have the same chance of success of what a white rich kid would have.

Whose alt are you? Think before you post, I am not White or rich and surely not privileged. Stop forcing your world view on others, anybody can make it in America regardless of race and if you lived here you know that. Race has zero to do with the first for of your "points" and the 5th is laughable as immigrants make it here all the time, some of our biggest companies were founded by immigrants. Race is meaningless as is gender for the most part. I would suggest you do your homework before you rant.

FYI: A poor white kid in the south or detroit would have trouble, just as much as any poor black kid. Stop overstating race.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By TheWalkingGhost

@Jankarcop said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Jankarcop said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Blue-Sky said:

You can thank Ronald Reagan and the war on drugs for effectively destroying Black communities.

Stop making excuses

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/06/04/the-blackwhite-marijuana-arrest-gap-in-nine-charts/

And? Do you even understand those numbers or just throwing out stuff?

Nice link disproving the fact based article I posted.

It had great data points.

So....... You got zero to say to back up your comments? Anything?

@Grimdalus said:

@jooky1169 said:

It's no ones fault but your own if you don't succeed in life. Your choices are what put you where you are. How can you blame an entire race for your life not turning out like you wanted? I had a lot of white and black friends throughout school. Most were very smart. Some of them went somewhere in life and some didn't. I have friends who were very smart that ended up being criminals. Both black and white. They made the choice to live that way. It's no one else's fault but their own.

I think the image should speak for itself.

Not only did you assume all white people only got rich off the backs of blacks (which is false) but you assumed Black people can't rise without the help of a white man (which is also false). You can make it in America without the help of a white man you know.

@LostProphetFLCL You won't find any evidence, because there is none. There is lots of things that lead to poverty, but it's just easier to focus on race and assume that's the only one. Take everything at face value.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Still waiting for someone to show a shred of evidence that this is a racial issue and not in fact just an issue of there being a lack of opportunities for poor communities.

It is indeed an economic issue.....

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Jankarcop said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Jankarcop said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Blue-Sky said:

You can thank Ronald Reagan and the war on drugs for effectively destroying Black communities.

Stop making excuses

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/06/04/the-blackwhite-marijuana-arrest-gap-in-nine-charts/

So....... You got zero to say to back up your comments?

Apart from the link I posted with several graphs and research from washington post?.

Meanwhile you havn't refuted any of it with your own citation.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 TheWalkingGhost

@Jankarcop said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Jankarcop said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Jankarcop said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Blue-Sky said:

Stop making excuses

So....... You got zero to say to back up your comments?

Apart from the link I posted with several graphs and research from washington post?.

Meanwhile you havn't refuted any of it with your own citation.

I'll take that as a no. You have yet to explain why that means what you are claiming it does or why it's even relevant here. Burden of proof is on you, not me.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

[Deleted Post]

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@TheWalkingGhost: He posted data about how disproportionately blacks are arrested compared to whites and linked that to the Drug War specifically during Reagan. Reagan is known for upping the drug war due to the crack epidemic in the 80's and since crack is known as the "poor" drug the low income communities got hit the hardest and these poor communities were very often majority African American. Reagan also introduced mandatory minimum sentencing for drug related offenses, another policy that unfairly targeted African Americans.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TheWalkingGhost

@Aljosa23 said:

@TheWalkingGhost: He posted data about how disproportionately blacks are arrested compared to whites and linked that to the Drug War specifically during Reagan. Reagan is known for upping the drug war due to the crack epidemic in the 80's and since crack is known as the "poor" drug the low income communities got hit the hardest and these poor communities were very often majority African American. Reagan also introduced mandatory minimum sentencing for drug related offenses, another policy that unfairly targeted African Americans.

Why the hell couldn't the other dude say all this? Even though what Reagan did is mostly economic not racially motivated. Weed is largely becoming legal now, but more study needs to be done in order to find out why the gap exists. It may not be racial at all.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@TheWalkingGhost said:Burden of proof is on you, not me.

Because posting the actual study isn't proof:

https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/aclu-thewaronmarijuana-rel2.pdf

TLDR: Whites smoke pot just as much. But Blacks get charged with possession 4x as much. You're probably thinking more violence is involved, it's not. Read the study.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I think it is more a cultural issue rather than a race issue. Heck, the Asians in North America didn't exactly have it any easier than the Blacks for most of our history, yet they had a culture that emphasized hard work and success, and they achieved it by and large. You can blame the white man for overarching societal trends all you want, but in the end, it always comes down to individual choice. It's a choice to drop out of school, it's a choice to join a gang, it's a choice to leave your family, it's a choice to commit a crime. And unfortunately, it appears black communities seem to ignore or even advocate these choices. It's easy to say, "well, they grew up in poverty, they had no choice", but they do. I have known dozens of people who grew up in poverty, but they worked hard to improve their situation and do better for their children. Are there racist individuals and polices? Most definitely. But things will never improve for the black communities until they take responsibility for their people and their actions, and strive to do better, not just blame others for their misfortune.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@Grimdalus said:

@jooky1169 said:

It's no ones fault but your own if you don't succeed in life. Your choices are what put you where you are. How can you blame an entire race for your life not turning out like you wanted? I had a lot of white and black friends throughout school. Most were very smart. Some of them went somewhere in life and some didn't. I have friends who were very smart that ended up being criminals. Both black and white. They made the choice to live that way. It's no one else's fault but their own.

Wasn't it something like 1% of white people actually owned slaves?

I accuse the creator of this to be historically illiterate and racist against white people.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 TheWalkingGhost

@Jankarcop said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:Burden of proof is on you, not me.

Because posting the actual study isn't proof:

https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/aclu-thewaronmarijuana-rel2.pdf

TLDR: Whites smoke pot just as much. But Blacks get charged with possession 4x as much. You're probably thinking more violence is involved, it's not. Read the study.

Read what Aljosa23 said and get back to me. You know what, forget it. You are never going to explain why this is relevant here, how this relates to what the other said and how this is "destroying" black communities, much less how this is racially motivated or give an idea of why this is the way it is. You are just going to post a random study and not clarify why you are even posting it.

Also... LMFAO!!! You expect anybody to read a 130 page study? HAHA!! Try writing some bullet points to illustrate a point because NOBODY is going to read all that. Make one bullet point why you are even posting it and why should I care. PROTIP: The longer the thing is, the less likely people online will read it. Keep it short and to the point and highlight the relevant info and why it is relevant. You haven't done that so far. But I am done here.

Marth6352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By Marth6352
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

@redstorm72: My problem is you are acting like black americans HAVE not worked hard since they have been in america.

When black americans would acquire wealth back in the 20th century it was always destroyed by angry mobs of white protesters. I mean this is in the history books man, I really hate when people like you assume that black people don't work hard and are complaining. We get judged by the actions of a few. If one black man is a criminal then the next 10 are criminals as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@redstorm72 said:

I think it is more a cultural issue rather than a race issue. Heck, the Asians in North America didn't exactly have it any easier than the Blacks for most of our history, yet they had a culture that emphasized hard work and success, and they achieved it by and large. You can blame the white man for overarching societal trends all you want, but in the end, it always comes down to individual choice. It's a choice to drop out of school, it's a choice to join a gang, it's a choice to leave your family, it's a choice to commit a crime. And unfortunately, it appears black communities seem to ignore or even advocate these choices. It's easy to say, "well, they grew up in poverty, they had no choice", but they do. I have known dozens of people who grew up in poverty, but they worked hard to improve their situation and do better for their children. Are there racist individuals and polices? Most definitely. But things will never improve for the black communities until they take responsibility for their people and their actions, and strive to do better, not just blame others for their misfortune.

Of course they are choices but all choices happen due to external and internal forces. Did you ever stop and think why people drop out of school, join a gang, leave their family, or commit a crime? It's because their current situation is so shitty that staying in it is an even worse option than resorting to those awful things - that's the entire problem. I know it's easy to say "just work hard and improve your situation" but when you've been poor your entire life that's the only life you've lived, you don't know anything else, that fucks up your entire perception of the world and traps you in a vicious cycle.

Even if one is absolutely willing to better their life, how the heck do you go about that? Digging yourself out of a hole is a million times harder than you make it seem. Having no meaningful education because you live in the ghetto, well, can't look for a better job than your minimum wage at McDonald's now. Got kids to take care of and you can't find/afford a babysitter? Well shit, guess you can't get that GED or college degree you need for that better job. Don't have insurance? Better hope that you don't get sick or your car breaks down, and so on and so forth. There are hundreds of these little hurdles that prevent those living in poverty to better their situation and it wouldn't hurt to have a little compassion.

Keep in mind I am not talking about blacks only, that is a far more complex issue than posts in this thread seem to think - I am talking about poverty in general. I will say this thread is sad and the posts here indicate how the poor in general are still dehumanized by the general population.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@Aljosa23: mhm

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@redstorm72 said:

Of course they are choices but all choices happen due to external and internal forces. Did you ever stop and think why people drop out of school, join a gang, leave their family, or commit a crime? It's because their current situation is so shitty that staying in it is an even worse option than resorting to those awful things - that's the entire problem. I know it's easy to say "just work hard and improve your situation" but when you've been poor your entire life that's the only life you've lived, you don't know anything else, that fucks up your entire perception of the world and traps you in a vicious cycle.

Even if one is absolutely willing to better their life, how the heck do you go about that? Digging yourself out of a hole is a million times harder than you make it seem. Having no meaningful education because you live in the ghetto, well, can't look for a better job than your minimum wage at McDonald's now. Got kids to take care of and you can't find/afford a babysitter? Well shit, guess you can't get that GED or college degree you need for that better job. Don't have insurance? Better hope that you don't get sick or your car breaks down, and so on and so forth. There are hundreds of these little hurdles that prevent those living in poverty to better their situation and it wouldn't hurt to have a little compassion.

Keep in mind I am not talking about blacks only, that is a far more complex issue than posts in this thread seem to think - I am talking about poverty in general. I will say this thread is sad and the posts here indicate how the poor in general are still dehumanized by the general population.

This post wins right here.

It is not a race issue. It is an issue of the lack of opportunities for the poor.

Moving up on the social ladder gets harder and harder every year and that needs to change.

Grimdalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Grimdalus
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Grimdalus said:

@jooky1169 said:

Wasn't it something like 1% of white people actually owned slaves?

I accuse the creator of this to be historically illiterate and racist against white people.

Racism against white people doesn't exist. It is a fallacy.

Grimdalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Grimdalus

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Grimdalus said:

@TheWalkingGhost: Maybe you should not force your privileged starting position on everyone else. There are many factors on what makes someone rich:

• access to education,
  • access to clean water, food and correct living standards
  • Access to information
  • Geographical location
  • Country born in
  • Race
  • Gender and many more. Thinking anyone can succeed in America regardless of race is absurd, you are clearly detached from the material conditions in America. A poor black child growing up in the ghettos of Detroit would not have the same chance of success of what a white rich kid would have.

Whose alt are you? Think before you post, I am not White or rich and surely not privileged. Stop forcing your world view on others, anybody can make it in America regardless of race and if you lived here you know that. Race has zero to do with the first for of your "points" and the 5th is laughable as immigrants make it here all the time, some of our biggest companies were founded by immigrants. Race is meaningless as is gender for the most part. I would suggest you do your homework before you rant.

FYI: A poor white kid in the south or detroit would have trouble, just as much as any poor black kid. Stop overstating race.

You actually assume I am an alt, maybe you should think before you post. Race has serious impact on how you are treated in America, denying that it does not have an impact is the very nature of ignorance and it shows that you do not understand the social mobility problems black people face in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_mobility

Here are some sources that highlights that highlights America is a racist country:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/08/22/fergusons-racial-problems-are-not-unique-to-ferguson

http://www.marxisthistory.org/history/usa/groups/abb/1918/0900-briggs-amraceproblem.pdf

I have done my homework. Also, I am not forcing my views on others, I am combating liberalism. https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/selected-works/volume-2/mswv2_03.htm

Grimdalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Grimdalus
@InEMplease said:

@Grimdalus: Naturally.

I am unsure whether you think that racism is natural because it is not or you naturally agree with my comment. Sorry but one word posts are very vague. I leave you a quote by Nelson Mandela in case you believe in the first instance.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@Grimdalus said:
@InEMplease said:

@Grimdalus: Naturally.

I am unsure whether you think that racism is natural because it is not or you naturally agree with my comment. Sorry but one word posts are very vague. I leave you a quote by Nelson Mandela in case you believe in the first instance.

actually studies have shown that babies are prejudiced against other races and hilariously ugly parents.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

@Grimdalus said:

You actually assume I am an alt, maybe you should think before you post. Race has serious impact on how you are treated in America, denying that it does not have an impact is the very nature of ignorance and it shows that you do not understand the social mobility problems black people face in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_mobility

Here are some sources that highlights that highlights America is a racist country:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/08/22/fergusons-racial-problems-are-not-unique-to-ferguson

http://www.marxisthistory.org/history/usa/groups/abb/1918/0900-briggs-amraceproblem.pdf

I have done my homework. Also, I am not forcing my views on others, I am combating liberalism. https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/selected-works/volume-2/mswv2_03.htm

Waste of text. If they were sincere, they'd look this stuff up on their own.