U.S. Wars To Cost 12,000,000,000 A Month

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts

From CNN-

In 2008, its sixth year, the war will cost approximately $12 billion a month, triple the "burn" rate of its earliest years, Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph E. Stiglitz and co-author Linda J. Bilmes report in a new book.

Click Here for more info. That is an astounding number, and isn't going to help the U.S. economy pull itself out of the slump it's in.

Avatar image for Raged-wolverine
Raged-wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Raged-wolverine
Member since 2005 • 6075 Posts
how's that for a ripoff...:P
jazznate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jazznate
Member since 2008 • 1202 Posts
Our economy is screwed.
-R3Vo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -R3Vo
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts
Most of that is upkeep for the military...
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
Bush is an idiot. The americans would need those 12 billion to avoid a recession . However now hundreds of thousands of epople will be unemployed and a new depression could occur. You brought this over yourself USA.
Avatar image for Raged-wolverine
Raged-wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Raged-wolverine
Member since 2005 • 6075 Posts

Bush is an idiot. The americans would need those 12 billion to avoid a recession . However now hundreds of thousands of epople will be unemployed and a new depression could occur. You brought this over yourself USA.turgore

and yet they don't realize this!!

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Yup. Sad isnt it. Conservatives will back a situation that is bleeding us dry for people who hate us, but pitch a hissy fit when people suggest funding projects at home that benefit the public welfare.
knowledge-funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 knowledge-funk
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts
Well guys remember it completely worth it; we are fighting for DEMOCRACY, yeah!
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
God bless america for our hypocrisy, arrogance and ignorance. :)
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Is that a big number? I can't tell. Isn't the annual U.S. military budget for regular day-to-day activites (research, maintenance, etc.) around half a trillion dollars? If so, is an extra $12 billion a month for war expenditures really that big a deal?

EDIT: is the $12 billion entirely made up of extra costs that wouldn't be spent during peace time? Or does some of that figure represent costs that'd be paid whether or not we're in war (i.e. soldier paychecks)?

knowledge-funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 knowledge-funk

Is that a big number? I can't tell. Isn't the annual U.S. military budget for regular day-to-day activites (research, maintenance, etc.) around half a trillion dollars? If so, is an extra $12 billion a month for war expenditures really that big a deal?

Oleg_Huzwog

Yes. Our country no longer has control of its own economy. Our debt has never been higher

Our currency is low. This is a big deal.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darthmatt

Oleg_Huzwog
It is when our schools are falling apart... Just putting it out there that we could be spending that kind of money at home, but we cant because its getting spend over there. Call me a crazy liberal hippy, what ever, I dont really care, but isnt it better to fix/maintain your own house before you start fixing your neighbors? I live near Detroit, and I see all the time how great the "Me" system of government has worked out here :roll:. Its time for the US government to give a damn about its own people for a change. If a society doesn't take care of its own, what good is it? If we fail to have compassion for the common good of the nation as a whole, and welfare of our fellow citizens, then we have failed as a union and should seek another course of governance
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Darthmatt

It is when our schools are falling apart... Just putting it out there that we could be spending that kind of money at home, but we cant because its getting spend over there. Call me a crazy liberal hippy, what ever, I dont really care, but isnt it better to fix/maintain your own house before you start fixing your neighbors? I live near Detroit, and I see all the time how great the "Me" system of government has worked out here :roll:. Its time for the US government to give a damn about its own people for a change. If a society doesn't take care of its own, what good is it? If we fail to have compassion for the common good of the nation as a whole, and welfare of our fellow citizens, then we have failed as a union and should seek another course of governance

many would argue it a necessary expenditure for our "security". though i'm sure many ppl who can not buy food and afford shelter and health care have a slightly different view of what "security" is.

knowledge-funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 knowledge-funk
[QUOTE="Darthmatt"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

comp_atkins

many would argue it a necessary expenditure for our "security". though i'm sure many ppl who can not buy food and afford shelter and health care have a slightly different view of what "security" is.

there was no harm to could be done to our country, it was not a national security, but we still go to the ME and waste money and lives.

MarineJcksn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MarineJcksn
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts

I love how you liberals think we can just surrender in Iraq and keep this nation safe. When will it get through to you that we're facing an enemy who wants to kill every living American?

Ya'll need to wake up.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

there was no harm to could be done to our country, it was not a national security, but we still go to the ME and waste money and lives.knowledge-funk

Monday morning quarterback, eh?

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Darthmatt
[QUOTE="Darthmatt"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

comp_atkins

I agree man. As much as global terrorism is a threat to the national system of government in the US, the real day to day threat to average citizen is a little closer to home. Especially the poor and working class. Some cities in my state have made huge cuts in law enforement because they cannot afford the cost. Crime goes up, people get robbed, murdered and no longer able to live freely. So $12 billion a month is a huge number.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
But oooh no! We simply can't afford universal healthcare! Heaven's no! :|
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darthmatt

I love how you liberals think we can just surrender in Iraq and keep this nation safe. When will it get through to you that we're facing an enemy who wants to kill every living American?

Ya'll need to wake up.

MarineJcksn
I'll remember that where gun toting psychos are running through the street terrorizing Americans. Oh wait, welcome to "insert big city" America. Defending ourselves globally is pointless if we rot from within.
knowledge-funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 knowledge-funk

Ya'll need to wake up.

MarineJcksn

Wow, you must love your cnn man.

Larry_Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Larry_Balls
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
It would been cheaper to buy the ME an OBL an his crew
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

Ya'll need to wake up.

MarineJcksn

They would be just as happy bankrupting our country and collapsing our economy. (which, by the way, they succeeded in doing to the USSR).

We are marching in the same direction!

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darthmatt
[QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

Engrish_Major

They would be just as happy bankrupting our country and collapsing our economy. (which, by the way, they succeeded in doing to the USSR).

We are marching in the same direction!

Well at least when our leaders decide to do something they dont back down :roll: Yeah conviction is great but being able to learn from mistakes and change your mind when it hits the fan is better. especially when its killing you.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

Well guys remember it completely worth it; we are fighting for DEMOCRACY, yeah!knowledge-funk

Yeah ! We are going to free the **** out of iraq !

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I think what a lot of people fail to understand is that they are winning just by keeping us over there fighting. It doesnt matter how much we are kicking their ass. Everytime a school isnt funded or some old person dies because their health benefits got cut they win a little bit more.

CaptHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CaptHawkeye
Member since 2004 • 13977 Posts

Yup. Sad isnt it. Conservatives will back a situation that is bleeding us dry for people who hate us, but pitch a hissy fit when people suggest funding projects at home that benefit the public welfare.Darthmatt

Don't worry, the magical guiding hand of the economy will save us. Just like it did all those people in 1929. Wait a sec...

MarineJcksn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MarineJcksn
[QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

knowledge-funk

Wow, you must love your cnn man.

Only if glenn beck's on.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Darthmatt

I think what a lot of people fail to understand is that they are winning just by keeping us over there fighting. It doesnt matter how much we are kicking their ass. Everytime a school isnt funded or some old person dies because their health benefits got cut they win a little bit more.

Alter_Echo

Reminds me of something this guy said back in 2004. I hate to quote the guy, but he isnt stupid, and only a fool underestimates his enemy.

"All that we have to do is to send two Mujahideen to the furthest point East to raise a piece of cloth on which is written al-Qaida, in order to make the generals race there to cause America to suffer human, economic, and political losses without their achieving for it anything of note other than some benefits for their private companies.

... we, alongside the Mujahideen, bled Russia for ten years, until it went bankrupt and was forced to withdraw in defeat."

O bin laden. 11/04/2004

CaptHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CaptHawkeye
Member since 2004 • 13977 Posts

Ya'll need to wake up.

MarineJcksn

And have you ever stopped to wonder WHY they want to do this? Or is your answer the same as every social conservative who only thinks he knows what's up? "lolz they r jelos of our freedomz?" When that clearly isn't the case? Answer radical Islamic hatred with...war. Thus provided radical Islamists an excuse to label you as an aggressor and great enemy of Islam. Turns out Martyrs are easy to make. Especially when your society is still dominated by an archaic religious system.

MarineJcksn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MarineJcksn
[QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

Darthmatt

I'll remember that where gun toting psychos are running through the street terrorizing Americans. Oh wait, welcome to "insert big city" America. Defending ourselves globally is pointless if we rot from within.

This is true, i'm not disputing it. Our country needs a lot of economic reform to build strength and confidence in our economy. Actually, I ran off topic a bit because my comment was directed at the people who think surrender as advocated by the democratic congress is a good idea.

That money could be spent to provide relief here in America, god knows we got millions of homeless with no plan to do anything about them. The working poor deserve help, those who can't work because of disability deserve help, but everyone else who simply chooses not to work and wants to leech off the system should wither and starve imo.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

Ya'll need to wake up.

MarineJcksn

do you honestly believe that pre-2003.. the nation of iraq's chief objective was to kill every man, woman and child in the US??!?!??

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darthmatt
[QUOTE="Darthmatt"][QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

MarineJcksn

This is true, i'm not disputing it. Our country needs a lot of economic reform to build strength and confidence in our economy. Actually, I ran off topic a bit because my comment was directed at the people who think surrender as advocated by the democratic congress is a good idea.

That money could be spent to provide relief here in America, god knows we got millions of homeless with no plan to do anything about them. The working poor deserve help, those who can't work because of disability deserve help, but everyone else who simply chooses not to work and wants to leech off the system should wither and starve imo.

Its just a huge mess either way that we should have found a different way to deal with. I never trusted the reasons we go into this war from day one. But thats water under the bridge, and as pissed as I get when I see how much money is getting spent, and how my own part of the country is failing (economically) it makes it even harder to justify. I've always been a "You break it you bought it" person. As time wears on, we cannot afford that mentality. History is coming to a cross road for the US and the decisions we make will seal our fate in one direction or the other.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Darthmatt"][QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

MarineJcksn

They're not advocating surrender.

And take Powell out of your sig. He'd never run with such a poor candidate in McCain. EVER.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
[QUOTE="MarineJcksn"][QUOTE="Darthmatt"][QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

Dreams-Visions

They're not advocating surrender.

And take Powell out of your sig. He'd never run with such a poor candidate in McCain. EVER.

Please tell me what turning tail and running away is then? We leave now and there will be a political vacuum. Your liberal candidates won't pull the troops out, they can't.

So just sit back in your chair and continue critiquing the war and spending, because no matter who is president, we'll be there for the next 100 years.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
what a rip off
xanderenigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xanderenigma
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts

man i could do with one hundredth of that a year...

I think they should be generous and shgare out the cash!

markebici

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 markebici
Member since 2005 • 781 Posts
[QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

comp_atkins

do you honestly believe that pre-2003.. the nation of iraq's chief objective was to kill every man, woman and child in the US??!?!??

he got his facts from his imagination, i would just ignor them.

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts

[QUOTE="Darthmatt"]Yup. Sad isnt it. Conservatives will back a situation that is bleeding us dry for people who hate us, but pitch a hissy fit when people suggest funding projects at home that benefit the public welfare.CaptHawkeye

Don't worry, the magical guiding hand of the economy will save us. Just like it did all those people in 1929. Wait a sec...

Herbert Hoover r smart.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dreams-Visions

Please tell me what turning tail and running away is then? We leave now and there will be a political vacuum. Your liberal candidates won't pull the troops out, they can't.

So just sit back in your chair and continue critiquing the war and spending, because no matter who is president, we'll be there for the next 100 years.

cametall

lollerskates.

Tell me which Democratic candidate is talking about pulling 100% of our troops out.

Tell me which Democratic candidate is planning on stopping the War on Terror

Tell me which Democratic candidate is talking about leaving "now".

The answer is NONE.

They've neither recommended nor suggested they have any such intention. They will, however begin to draw down over the next couple of years and repirotize them to Afganistan (where they should have never left). Special forces will be left behind around 2010 to handle any small spurts of terrorist action.

And if you think we will or will need to keep 100,000 of our fighting forces and brigades in Iraq for 100 years, I have a mountain in Florida that I'd like to sell you. That concept (blissfully ignorant as it is) represents the reason why McCain will not win the general election anyway.

Truth_Seekr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Truth_Seekr
Member since 2007 • 4214 Posts

How in the hell is this extra bill going to help us out. All the more reason to pull out and rethink our policies. The so called "threat" has been taken cared of. No?

I don't understand, well yes I do(terrorist blah blah blah), I don't understand why we continue to fight a war and continue to spend money that America doesn't have.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
thats part of the reason why i hate bush and hate this war with such a burning passion, americans cbf helping out there own people but yet they jump on every god damn chance to fight an fn war, screw you bush you put america in the crapper
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Ya'll need to wake up.

MarineJcksn

lol, little info for yeah , the terrorist who attacked on 9/11, you know the ones who are willing and did attack the US, they arent in Iraq....

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Darthmatt
[QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

SaintLeonidas

lol, little info for yeah , the terrorist who attacked on 9/11, you know the ones who are willing and did attack the US, they arent in Iraq....

You dont understand, if they got a hold of the WMDs in Iraq the would kill us all. With their um, huh, they just would. They are still there, maybe once the Iraqis are all card carrying Republicans we'll find those WMDs. (Joke post.)
Larry_Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Larry_Balls
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
LOL @Darthmatt :)
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dracargen
Member since 2007 • 7928 Posts

So that makes this the second-most expensive war in history?

Now all we need to do is trump WWII and we'll be in Guinness!:D

I bet that's the plan.

MarineJcksn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MarineJcksn
[QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

comp_atkins

Saddam was agressively pursuing means of delivering chemical and biological weapons and the country was harboring terrorists. Iraqs sole objective wasn't to kill every man, woman and child in the US, but they certainly enabled terrorists who's sole goal is achieve this.

MarineJcksn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MarineJcksn
[QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

CaptHawkeye

And have you ever stopped to wonder WHY they want to do this? Or is your answer the same as every social conservative who only thinks he knows what's up? "lolz they r jelos of our freedomz?" When that clearly isn't the case? Answer radical Islamic hatred with...war. Thus provided radical Islamists an excuse to label you as an aggressor and great enemy of Islam. Turns out Martyrs are easy to make. Especially when your society is still dominated by an archaic religious system.

I've never disputed the reason of their cause. But what do you advocate we do instead, simply talk reason to terrorists and they'll see the error of their ways? How about we just ignore them, maybe then they'll play nice? :roll:

MarineJcksn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MarineJcksn
[QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

SaintLeonidas

Iraq harbored radical islamic extremists, much like Iran, syria, and dozens of other countries around the world.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

It's ok! BUSH is on the JOB!

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Darthmatt
[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="MarineJcksn"]

Ya'll need to wake up.

MarineJcksn

Saddam was agressively pursuing means of delivering chemical and biological weapons and the country was harboring terrorists. Iraqs sole objective wasn't to kill every man, woman and child in the US, but they certainly enabled terrorists who's sole goal is achieve this.

Saddam was a poser when it came to enabling terrosits. But we showed him how its done by kicking down the door, destroying all security structure (brutal as it was) allowing terrorist from all direction to freely enter the fight in Iraq a difficult to defend environment full of people who already don't trust us. Its like that scene from predator where arnold is all like "Come on! Kill me! I'm here! Kill me! I'm here! Kill me!". Now thats how you enable terroists.