US: ‘Gay Blood Drive Day’ to call for end of gay blood ban

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

ARTICLE

A Gay Blood Drive Day will be held on Friday, to protest the continuing blanket ban on gay and bisexual men donating blood in the US.

The Food and Drug Administration currently imposes a blanket ban on donating blood for all men who have had sex with men, because of the “increased risk” of sexually transmitted diseases.

San Francisco Congressman Mike Honda said: “Despite tremendous advances in the medical and biotech fields, the Food and Drug Administration still bans blood donations from gay and bisexual men.

I say thoroughly checked blood from gay people as STD's are more prevalent in gay men than straight people.

What you say OT , are you in support of lifting ban ?

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Don't hate da' playa', hate da' game. =P

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By indzman

@Allicrombie said:

Don't hate da' playa', hate da' game. =P

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Wait, worlock posts after being absent for like 10 years and he gets moderated?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@airshocker: I think they just got rid of his post since it had the other post in it. And that it wasn't really something held against him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Seeing how blood is tested for STDs it make little sense to ban it. They constantly advertise that they need more blood, yet they don't want to accept more.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@dave123321 said:

@airshocker: I think they just got rid of his post since it had the other post in it. And that it wasn't really something held against him.

I'm just complaining because I couldn't see what it was to begin with.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Oh some user made up some story about how he thought a gay blood drive would go and worlock just asked if the post was meant to be funny.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Our society is increasingly supporting equality for LGBT people. I will fight this ban that only marginalizes, stigmatizes, and stereotypes healthy people across the country.”

And there it is. This is just another, in a long line of bans against the LGBT community, that they will be going after to have changed.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12  Edited By Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

I'm not allowed to give blood either. But that's cause they're afraid some communism was implanted in my system when I lived in West Germany.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

@jasean79 said:

Our society is increasingly supporting equality for LGBT people. I will fight this ban that only marginalizes, stigmatizes, and stereotypes healthy people across the country.”

And there it is. This is just another, in a long line of bans against the LGBT community, that they will be going after to have changed.

Don't sound too excited

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jasean79

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@jasean79 said:

Don't sound too excited

It's overwhelming. You have no idea!

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I don't know enough about blood testing to say one way or the other but I would say if it's fool proof testing there would be no reason not to take blood from a gay person.

That said if we are in any way sacrificing out safety just to appease the feelings of the LGBT people....well that would just be stupid.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@toast_burner said:

Seeing how blood is tested for STDs it make little sense to ban it. They constantly advertise that they need more blood, yet they don't want to accept more.

It's stagnant air left from the late 80's and 90's. Obviously AIDS still exists but it's not as "shockingly prevalent" now as they made it out to be be back then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@BSC14 said:

I don't know enough about blood testing to say one way or the other but I would say if it's fool proof testing there would be no reason not to take blood from a gay person.

That said if we are in any way sacrificing out safety just to appease the feelings of the LGBT people....well that would just be stupid.

who said it's about appeasing the feelings of gay or bi men? Donating blood saves lives.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BSC14

@toast_burner said:

@BSC14 said:

who said it's about appeasing the feelings of gay or bi men? Donating blood saves lives.

Like I said, IF.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

Don't they test the blood?

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

They test the blood anyways so they should lift the ban,

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

The reason for the gay ban in blood drives is for the prevention of aids.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

It's a legit concern. Gays are more likely to have STDs.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Star0

@bobaban:

That logic though...

So because gays are statistically more likely to have STDs that means we should blanket ban all of them from donating blood?

That's ridiculous.

I think they're just trying to save on administrative and staff outlays more than anything and gays are an easy target in this instance, but there's been a typical reaction from the homosexual community.

Shouldn't saving lives be the prime objective of any kind of healthcare?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@JimB said:

it's not the 80's anymore.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I support the ban.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 indzman

@toast_burner said:

@JimB said:

Why take risk =P

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Star0

@AmazonTreeBoa:

Bold typeface? Add colour and underlining. Makes your point hold even more value...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KHAndAnime

@indzman said:

@toast_burner said:

@JimB said:

Why take risk =P

There is no risk, blood needs to be screened before any blood is given to a recipient, gay or straight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
@bobaban said:

It's a legit concern. Gays are more likely to have STDs.

Is it 1980 again? Even if that were true the blood gets tested before anyone gets it into their system. There's really no reason for the ban other than some asshole politician wanting to stick it to gay people even more.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Gay men can't donate blood?

This is news to me.

I can't donate blood because I live in Europe for 5 years as a child and might have been exposed to mad cow disease.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 indzman

@KHAndAnime said:

@indzman said:

@toast_burner said:

@JimB said:

Why take risk =P

There is no risk, blood needs to be screened before any blood is given to a recipient, gay or straight.

Is it always done accurately ? I heard some people still get infected with HIV for unchecked blood transfer in some hospitals or healthcare centres.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KHAndAnime
@indzman said:

Is it always done accurately ? I heard some people still get infected with HIV for unchecked blood transfer in some hospitals or healthcare centres.

Well, there's a difference between inaccurately screened blood compared to blood that hasn't screened at all. Those are two different scenarios that could result in someone getting infected. Honestly, I have no clue, it could be a 99.9% situation, which sounds nice on paper initially, until you realize that theoretically for every 1000 cases there would be one mistake made. I'd really hope they're 99.9999% accurate but that could be wishful thinking. I'd look it up but I need to sleep.

I don't even really understand how they can enforce this ban anyways. If you show up to a blood drive wearing pink, they send you home? My imagination is stretching thin...

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 indzman

@KHAndAnime said:
@indzman said:

Well, there's a difference between inaccurately screened blood compared to blood that hasn't screened at all. Those are two different scenarios that could result in someone getting infected. Honestly, I have no clue, it could be a 99.9% situation, which sounds nice on paper initially, until you realize that theoretically for every 1000 cases there would be one mistake made. I'd really hope they're 99.9999% accurate but that could be wishful thinking. I'd look it up but I need to sleep.

I don't even really understand how they can enforce this ban anyways. If you show up to a blood drive wearing pink, they send you home? My imagination is stretching thin...

Ahhh. Yeah , very rare cases tho ( Unchecked blood being transferred to needy nowadays ). I guess they happen at shitty or small town hospitals or at really emergency situations, still very rare.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Star0

Damn...gay people will stop wearing pink now. Crap...I hope they don't choose blue because that's my colour =P

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I didn't know they banned gay people from giving blood. Their reasoning seems stupid assuming that they test all blood anyways. If they don't test all blood... that just seems stupid.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#36 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@toast_burner said:

I was gonna ask if they tested for STDs anyways... And they do.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@jasean79 said:

OMG IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD PEOPLE ARE ASKING TO BE TREATED AS EQUALS!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They test all the blood anyways (unless they actually don't and this screening process is all they use to determine most samples useability), so I'm not sure why they continue to lend credence to the AIDS hysteria from the late 1980's.

We've known for a while that heterosexual men and women can not only be highly promiscuous, but are as likely to be infected with a STI as anyone else who sleeps around, regardless of sexual orientation.It's dumb and would really help supplement the perma-shortage of useable blood.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Considering they should test any blood given from anyone so to ensure healthy blood is packed and used, the ban has been pointless from the start.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I donate blood every 3 months and within the 100 or so questions they ask it includes the "have you had sexual relations with another man in the past ________ days".

Some people don't know what discrimination is.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BSC14

@Treflis said:

Considering they should test any blood given from anyone so to ensure healthy blood is packed and used, the ban has been pointless from the start.

I remember hearing that at one time these blood test were a lot less accurate so it may have been useful at one point in history.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jasean79

@Treflis said:

Sadly, that hasn't always been the case. A friend of mine had a blood transfusion in the 80's that was HIV positive. He's been living with the disease ever since.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BSC14

@foxhound_fox said:

They test all the blood anyways (unless they actually don't and this screening process is all they use to determine most samples useability), so I'm not sure why they continue to lend credence to the AIDS hysteria from the late 1980's.

We've known for a while that heterosexual men and women can not only be highly promiscuous, but are as likely to be infected with a STI as anyone else who sleeps around, regardless of sexual orientation.It's dumb and would really help supplement the perma-shortage of useable blood.

I think generally the gay community is a bit more promiscuous than the average heterosexual. I know that might be an outrageous thing to say on this particular board and I don't have numbers with proof but it seems that way to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@Treflis said:

Sadly, that hasn't always been the case. A friend of mine had a blood transfusion in the 80's that was HIV positive. He's been living with the disease ever since.

That's crazy. Did he ever sue the hospital?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@Treflis said:

Yikes, That is a serious error done by those testing the blood. I hope he got some sort of compensation for it even if that wouldn't make it all better.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

@Wilfred_Owen said:

I'm not allowed to give blood either. But that's cause they're afraid some communism was implanted in my system when I lived in West Germany.

Communism in West Germany?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Unless there is an overwhelming majority of homosexual populations being infected with STIs, this is uncalled for discrimination. The 1980s AIDS craze focused on homosexual men and apes was definitely just a stigmatization movement as I see it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I think generally the gay community is a bit more promiscuous than the average heterosexual. I know that might be an outrageous thing to say on this particular board and I don't have numbers with proof but it seems that way to me.

That is a stereotype leftover from the late '80's. There is no truth in it. There are heterosexual men and women who have been with hundreds of partners (some of which have knowingly been infected with HIV and continue to have unprotected sex without telling their partners). The only way to be sure is to test the blood... and they do that. There is no "higher average of promiscuity".

But, for the sake of argument, let's say you are right.

--

We'll assume for argument's sake that a tenth of the total human population is homosexual (I've heard numbers from 8-10%). There is no means to really tell. But assume that's true.

Now, if a third of those homosexuals are "more promiscuous than normal" (I'd like to know what a "normal level of promiscuity" actually is BTW), out of a population of 1,000,000 people, that gives us about 33,333 people that would be at increased risk of spreading STI's due to their higher partner count.

Assuming these numbers carry, that leaves 90% of the 1,000,000 people. Out of those heterosexuals left, let's assume a tenth of them are as promiscuous as their homosexual compatriots. That would give us a whopping 90,000 people at the same level of risk as homosexuals to spreading STI's. Even if we assume a TWENTIETH of the remaining heterosexual population is as prmoiscuous, that STILL is 45,000 people. About 12,000 more than the homosexual population.

Even if we were to be extremely biased and say "half of all homosexuals are dangerously promiscuous", that still leaves us with 50,000 vs the original 90,000 from the tenth of heterosexuals.

--

The whole idea that "gays are sluttier" stems from the idea that homosexual cannot have meaningful relationships and CHOOSE to have sex with other men. This was the mindset of the era when AIDS was a "gay disease". It is a fallacious mindset to hold unless you can actually link to medical/scientific studies proving that homosexuals of a promiscuous nature (i.e. having lots of unprotected sex) it cannot be used a means to justify refusing to take their blood.

And this falls again to the concept that THEY TEST ALL THE BLOOD regardless of the screening process (which merely throws the sample out of consideration if one has come in contact with ANY infectous disease... for instance, where I live, they ask if you have come in contact with monkeys or monkey bodily fluids within the past 12 months, not to mention many prescription drugs also exempt samples from being considered).

Any person of high levels of sexual promiscuity should not be considered an ideal blood donor. Period. Regardless of orientation.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jasean79

@Aljosa23 said:

@jasean79 said:

@Treflis said:

That's crazy. Did he ever sue the hospital?

I don't know. It's not something he ever talked to me about. I found out through a mutual friend of ours, but never had the courage to ask him about it myself.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@Treflis said:

It makes me wonder what they actually knew about the disease back then. I know now they hold blood for 6 months to see if HIV or other things show up. Don't know if they did it back then.

Either way it is unfortunate. Just one thing that makes me glad about how medical science keeps getting better and better. I am sure such cases are much rarer now than they were back then.