Unbiased State of the Union discussion?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

Ok, I can do this, I can keep my opinions from detering from the discussion. What did you guys think? Not too much controversy, he confronted congress a little bit, talked a lot about how he is bringing jobs back, but he seemed strong. I think he did a good job, he looked strong and he made some strong points (we'll see if anyone listens). So, OT, what say you?

[spoiler] Gingrich is a terrible person! Did I just blow it mods? [/spoiler]

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

There are some things I agree with like no more bailouts and more importantly, a more efficient government. I'm not sure about his policy towards Iran, though.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
everything was well said
Bloodaxe726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bloodaxe726
Member since 2007 • 7903 Posts

I'd possibly think he did a good job with all the promises he made, but we've seen what happened with his promises enough that I am unwilling to believe him.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
I thought President Obama was very strong on the taxation issue. He drew a clear contrast on the point paying their fair share, or as he put it, "common sense" amount of taxes. [quote="President Obama"] But in return, we need to change our tax code so that people like me, and an awful lot of Members of Congress, pay our fair share of taxes. Tax reform should follow the Buffett rule: If you make more than $1 million a year, you should not pay less than 30 percent in taxes. And my Republican friend Tom Coburn is right: Washington should stop subsidizing millionaires. In fact, if you're earning a million dollars a year, you shouldn't get special tax subsidies or deductions. On the other hand, if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 percent of American families, your taxes shouldn't go up. You're the ones struggling with rising costs and stagnant wages. You're the ones who need relief. Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense. We don't begrudge financial success in this country. We admire it. When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it's not because they envy the rich. It's because they understand that when I get tax breaks I don't need and the country can't afford, it either adds to the deficit, or somebody else has to make up the difference - like a senior on a fixed income; or a student trying to get through school; or a family trying to make ends meet. That's not right. Americans know it's not right. They know that this generation's success is only possible because past generations felt a responsibility to each other, and to their country's future, and they know our way of life will only endure if we feel that same sense of shared responsibility. That's how we'll reduce our deficit. That's an America built to last.

Also... [spoiler] Romney is a tool! [/spoiler]
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12348 Posts
He did pretty well.
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
It was strong and called for American unity. I thought it was politically strong too, as it called for mobilization.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 branketra

Not to get too off-topic, but

Romney is a tool! nocoolnamejim
I heard he's been getting paid $60,000 a day for a while now. He has it in Swiss bank account(s). He released that information in the middle of the night, yesterday. This is very hypocritical since he was accusing Gingrich of "influence peddling" last night.

EsYuGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EsYuGee
Member since 2007 • 466 Posts

Like I said in the other thread. Ban insider trading by members of Congress. Why is this not a law. Give it a straight up or down vote and lets see where everyone stands.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
[quote="President Obama"] But in return, we need to change our tax code so that people like me, and an awful lot of Members of Congress, pay our fair share of taxes. Tax reform should follow the Buffett rule: If you make more than $1 million a year, you should not pay less than 30 percent in taxes. And my Republican friend Tom Coburn is right: Washington should stop subsidizing millionaires. In fact, if you're earning a million dollars a year, you shouldn't get special tax subsidies or deductions. On the other hand, if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 percent of American families, your taxes shouldn't go up. You're the ones struggling with rising costs and stagnant wages. You're the ones who need relief. Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense. We don't begrudge financial success in this country. We admire it. When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it's not because they envy the rich. It's because they understand that when I get tax breaks I don't need and the country can't afford, it either adds to the deficit, or somebody else has to make up the difference - like a senior on a fixed income; or a student trying to get through school; or a family trying to make ends meet. That's not right. Americans know it's not right. They know that this generation's success is only possible because past generations felt a responsibility to each other, and to their country's future, and they know our way of life will only endure if we feel that same sense of shared responsibility. That's how we'll reduce our deficit. That's an America built to last.

I'm not an American and I agree with this
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RandomWinner

I'd possibly think he did a good job with all the promises he made, but we've seen what happened with his promises enough that I am unwilling to believe him.

Bloodaxe726

Well to me I feel like the big thing is whether or not congress will listen. The President can only suggest laws, which is what he did. Its one of the checks and balences. So the big thing is whether or not the parties and Joe Lieberman (Independant!) can get together and draft the laws he asked so politely for.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

It's an election year, full of promises he will most likely not achieve or keep. America is a false democracy ruled by those with the largest pocketbooks and sharpest lobbyists.

Good speech. But speeches do not make a country whole.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 branketra
Jim, I have to ask. Did you type out President Obama's words yourself?
Bloodaxe726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bloodaxe726
Member since 2007 • 7903 Posts

[QUOTE="Bloodaxe726"]

RandomWinner

Well to me I feel like the big thing is whether or not congress will listen. The President can only suggest laws, which is what he did. Its one of the checks and balences. So the big thing is whether or not the parties and Joe Lieberman (Independant!) can get together and draft the laws he asked so politely for.

He also lost any ounce of respect I had for him by signing the NDAA.

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts
>_> President Obama is a better speaker than this guy.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#16 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

My personal opinion.

I think he will not follow through with anything he said. 4 years is enough of this guy.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

[QUOTE="RandomWinner"]

[QUOTE="Bloodaxe726"]

Bloodaxe726

America the police state has been here for quite some time now. The NDAA only serves to strengthen the status quo.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RandomWinner

Not to get too off-topic, but [QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Romney is a tool! BranKetra

I heard he's been getting paid $60,000 a day for a while now. He has it in Swiss bank account(s). He released that information in the middle of the night, yesterday. This is very hypocritical since he was accusing Gingrich of "influence peddling" last night.

Not to sound biased but they are both Washington outsiders. They shouldn't accuse eachother of anything but.

:P

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 branketra
[QUOTE="Bloodaxe726"]

[QUOTE="RandomWinner"]

[QUOTE="Bloodaxe726"]

Funny how he failed to mention that entirely.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZumaJones07
Anyone watching the Republican Response thing? I would vote that guy in before any of the current candidates.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[quote="President Obama"] But in return, we need to change our tax code so that people like me, and an awful lot of Members of Congress, pay our fair share of taxes. Tax reform should follow the Buffett rule: If you make more than $1 million a year, you should not pay less than 30 percent in taxes. And my Republican friend Tom Coburn is right: Washington should stop subsidizing millionaires. In fact, if you're earning a million dollars a year, you shouldn't get special tax subsidies or deductions. On the other hand, if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 percent of American families, your taxes shouldn't go up. You're the ones struggling with rising costs and stagnant wages. You're the ones who need relief. Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense. We don't begrudge financial success in this country. We admire it. When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it's not because they envy the rich. It's because they understand that when I get tax breaks I don't need and the country can't afford, it either adds to the deficit, or somebody else has to make up the difference - like a senior on a fixed income; or a student trying to get through school; or a family trying to make ends meet. That's not right. Americans know it's not right. They know that this generation's success is only possible because past generations felt a responsibility to each other, and to their country's future, and they know our way of life will only endure if we feel that same sense of shared responsibility. That's how we'll reduce our deficit. That's an America built to last.

Goddamnit Obama why do you have to keep saying things I agree with but then doing stupid ****
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

Not to get too off-topic, but [QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Romney is a tool! RandomWinner

Not to sound biased but they are both Washington outsiders. They shouldn't accuse eachother of anything but.

:P

I guess not.

Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Banjo_Kongfooie

Anyone watching the Republican Response thing? I would vote that guy in before any of the current candidates.ZumaJones07

Isn't this supposed to be unbiased? You just admitted your a Republican. Personally this man is making me tired.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RandomWinner

[QUOTE="RandomWinner"]

[QUOTE="Bloodaxe726"]

Bloodaxe726

That is the one that he "regrettably" signed right? If so the NDAA is a must pass law, but I agree with you. Its not something that he should have signed, because it really does make legal what we've been doing for the past decade by essentially suspending the fourth amendment. The fact that it got so few "nays" in congress is more despicable than anything in my opinion, but its a valid criticismof his recent policy.

If that's not the NDAA, then I have no idea what you're talking about and I'd be happy to listen to you to explain it to me.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

My personal opinion.

I think he will not follow through with anything he said. 4 years is enough of this guy.

ristactionjakso
You do realize that Congress has to act on pretty much everything he said, right? Its not about him following through at all...
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RandomWinner

[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]Anyone watching the Republican Response thing? I would vote that guy in before any of the current candidates.Banjo_Kongfooie

Isn't this supposed to be unbiased? You just admitted your a Republican. Personally this man is making me tired.

Lol, its a fair enough response (just like mine!), I lol'd when he said Obama's "trickle down" wasn't working. He did a good job aswell and he is better than Gingrich and Romney imo, but I'm pretty sure those aren't his words.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RandomWinner

[quote="President Obama"] But in return, we need to change our tax code so that people like me, and an awful lot of Members of Congress, pay our fair share of taxes. Tax reform should follow the Buffett rule: If you make more than $1 million a year, you should not pay less than 30 percent in taxes. And my Republican friend Tom Coburn is right: Washington should stop subsidizing millionaires. In fact, if you're earning a million dollars a year, you shouldn't get special tax subsidies or deductions. On the other hand, if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 percent of American families, your taxes shouldn't go up. You're the ones struggling with rising costs and stagnant wages. You're the ones who need relief. Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense. We don't begrudge financial success in this country. We admire it. When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it's not because they envy the rich. It's because they understand that when I get tax breaks I don't need and the country can't afford, it either adds to the deficit, or somebody else has to make up the difference - like a senior on a fixed income; or a student trying to get through school; or a family trying to make ends meet. That's not right. Americans know it's not right. They know that this generation's success is only possible because past generations felt a responsibility to each other, and to their country's future, and they know our way of life will only endure if we feel that same sense of shared responsibility. That's how we'll reduce our deficit. That's an America built to last. Ace6301
Goddamnit Obama why do you have to keep saying things I agree with but then doing stupid ****

Well you nailed what I was thinking.

Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Banjo_Kongfooie

[QUOTE="Banjo_Kongfooie"]

[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]Anyone watching the Republican Response thing? I would vote that guy in before any of the current candidates.RandomWinner

Lol, its a fair enough response (just like mine!), I lol'd when he said Obama's "trickle down" wasn't working. He did a good job aswell and he is better than Gingrich and Romney imo, but I'm pretty sure those aren't his words.

He started off praising Obama and then bashed him and the "senate democrats" later in the speech. Being better than those two is nothing to be proud of.

Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Banjo_Kongfooie

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

My personal opinion.

wolverine4262

You do realize that Congress has to act on pretty much everything he said, right? Its not about him following through at all...

Exactly the Republicans keep stopping everything. Mitch McConnell said his main goal is to make President Obama a 1 term president.

CajunMadePunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CajunMadePunk
Member since 2011 • 7425 Posts
I love Obama's speech writer.
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RandomWinner

[QUOTE="RandomWinner"]

[QUOTE="Banjo_Kongfooie"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

He started off praising Obama and then bashed him and the "senate democrats" later in the speech. Being better than those two is nothing to be proud of.

Now I'm not allowed to be passionate because I'm the TC, but he's better than the two potential nominees (Paul doesn't have a shot if we're being honest). What you percieve as how I really see the three of them will not be found here. I must be unbiased. Fair and Balenced like a Fox news corespondent.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ZumaJones07
I love Obama's speech writer.CajunMadePunk
but do you like the content of the speech?
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RandomWinner

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"] You do realize that Congress has to act on pretty much everything he said, right? Its not about him following through at all...Banjo_Kongfooie

Exactly the Republicans keep stopping everything. Mitch McConnell said his main goal is to make President Obama a 1 term president.

I want to comment with a passionate rant very badly. I want to share the opinions I have on McConnell. But tragically, I can not.
I love Obama's speech writer.CajunMadePunk
He/she does good work, I feel like I agree with everything he/she writes.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 branketra
[QUOTE="CajunMadePunk"]I love Obama's speech writer.ZumaJones07
but do you like the content of the speech?

Do you have a link for that?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Unbiased statement:

Addressing the nation in his State of the Union speech, President Barack Obama openly declared war on what remains of this free, but fledgling, society.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

He told people what they wanted to hear.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RandomWinner

Unbiased statement:

Addressing the nation in his State of the Union speech, President Barack Obama openly declared war on what remains of this free, but fledgling, society.

coolbeans90

No sir, that is the pinacle of the truthiness.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Obama is a great president.

...he just needs a better @#$%ing congress.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I'm glad to see tax inequality back in the spot light.

I find it interesting that the GOP frontrunners for the presidential election are putting Mitt Romney under the bus for paying only 13.9% in taxes in 2010. So you have to wonder, what stances is the GOP going to take towards tax code evasions that they refused to close back in the August budget talks.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I really liked how he said "washington is broken". What truth... congress is a mess, the parties are ridiculous, it's out of control

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
[QUOTE="Darthkaiser"][quote="President Obama"] But in return, we need to change our tax code so that people like me, and an awful lot of Members of Congress, pay our fair share of taxes. Tax reform should follow the Buffett rule: If you make more than $1 million a year, you should not pay less than 30 percent in taxes. And my Republican friend Tom Coburn is right: Washington should stop subsidizing millionaires. In fact, if you're earning a million dollars a year, you shouldn't get special tax subsidies or deductions. On the other hand, if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 percent of American families, your taxes shouldn't go up. You're the ones struggling with rising costs and stagnant wages. You're the ones who need relief. Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense. We don't begrudge financial success in this country. We admire it. When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it's not because they envy the rich. It's because they understand that when I get tax breaks I don't need and the country can't afford, it either adds to the deficit, or somebody else has to make up the difference - like a senior on a fixed income; or a student trying to get through school; or a family trying to make ends meet. That's not right. Americans know it's not right. They know that this generation's success is only possible because past generations felt a responsibility to each other, and to their country's future, and they know our way of life will only endure if we feel that same sense of shared responsibility. That's how we'll reduce our deficit. That's an America built to last.

I'm not an American and I agree with this

One of the things that I suspect that people are going to be a bit surprised by is, as Obama truly enters campaign mode and starts laying out his version of what happened the last few years - as opposed to the one-sided Republican version that has been being portrayed for months and months now - people are going to be in for a bit of a jolt. He's not a socialist. He's not going around apologizing for America. Or a traitor or whatever. Most Americans that aren't either firm liberals or firm conservatives don't pay that much attention between elections. Certain caricatures have been allowed to take root and stick and one sided stories have been put into the public's minds.
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Obama is a great president.

...he just needs a better @#$%ing congress.

Goyoshi12

So ******* true....

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I liked the bit about not giving tax credits to buisnesses who move jobs overseas. I liked how they showed Eric Cantor not clapping for that proposal.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i had no idea this was even tonight. i only realized it when i walked into my local smoke shop and the owner was watching it on tv.

kind of sad, eh? :lol:

PSN-SCRODE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PSN-SCRODE
Member since 2008 • 652 Posts

I like how he said Fvck the banks we are not bailing you out no more. Also for universities who can keep costs down will receive more money ad Universites who can not will receive no money. Also I like how he called out having foreigners come to the US to get a higher education and return to their country to work and develop new ideas. I tought it was a great speech he showed he was strong and is tired of Republicans and such Bi**** and nothing is getting done.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

>Promise to not bail out banks after financial crisis ends

Funny guy.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

The desparate words of a failing president. He fell back into his comfort zone of divide and conquer.

SauceKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SauceKing
Member since 2011 • 679 Posts

I'm glad to see tax inequality back in the spot light.

I find it interesting that the GOP frontrunners for the presidential election are putting Mitt Romney under the bus for paying only 13.9% in taxes in 2010. So you have to wonder, what stances is the GOP going to take towards tax code evasions that they refused to close back in the August budget talks.

Blue-Sky

Gop response is that 40% of americans dont pay income tax. While ignoring the regressive payroll tax in which the low income americans pay higher a percentage than the rich.

But thats their spiel.

Of course the problem with the income tax isnt that the working poor dont make high enough wages to qualify, but that they are enjoying the high life with luxuries like "food" and "shelter". Yachts aint cheap, people... someone's gotta pay for em, working poor seems as good a source as any.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
Because investment income is like normal income..... The money the person earned already got taxed once. Taxing investment income is in effect double taxation. So, equating it to regular payroll income taxes is not a logical comparison......
SauceKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SauceKing
Member since 2011 • 679 Posts

Because investment income is like normal income..... The money the person earned already got taxed once. Taxing investment income is in effect double taxation. So, equating it to regular payroll income taxes is not a logical comparison......Mafiree

where did you hear this one?

private equity and hedge fund managers, have never been taxed on their income... but they are allowed to claim at capital gains rates.

if you make a million dollars a year, when you only had 10,000 how is that double taxation? or do you not understand tax policy? ill explain it because im nice.

EDIT: i saw bill o reilly, make the same lie.