UK Gunman shoots dead at least 12. 25 more injured.

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts

Very shocking for us UK residents. Obviously whenever these incidents happen it's tragic, wherever they are, but here in the UK we pretty much never get mass killings or these sorts of incidents.

This happened this afternoon (2nd June) so bodies are still being found and the investigation is underway.

BBC source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

CNN source:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/06/02/uk.england.shootings/index.html?hpt=T1

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
That is rough
Melpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 Melpoe
Member since 2009 • 3635 Posts

Sorry to hear.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Only in the UK...

bruinfan617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bruinfan617
Member since 2010 • 3767 Posts

Only in the UK...

Lto_thaG
ha...
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
Awful thing to happen. The last one was in 1996, but was far worse it has to be said.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts

Only in the UK...

Lto_thaG
I came in here to post this :(
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

Only in the UK...

clayron

I came in here to post this :(

I do apologise,clay :(

UbiquitousAeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 UbiquitousAeon
Member since 2010 • 2099 Posts

I seriously can't understand why people feel the need to go on killing sprees.

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cjek

See... Outlawing guns and not selling them to people doesn't prevent people from getting and using them... So all you people who want to outlaw guns in the US... STFU... Maybe if one of those killed or injured was carrying he or she could have ended the ordeal right as it started... But no... No weapons for self defense in the UK.

Buttons1990

Sure, no weapons for self defence, but how often does this happen? 1996 was the last mass shooting.

EDIT: I'm not presenting an opinion on gun ownership, just saying that this incident doesn't say anything about the issue of gun ownership.

Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

See... Outlawing guns and not selling them to people doesn't prevent people from getting and using them... So all you people who want to outlaw guns in the US... STFU... Maybe if one of those killed or injured was carrying he or she could have ended the ordeal right as it started... But no... No weapons for self defense in the UK.

cjek

Sure, no weapons for self defence, but how often does this happen? 1996 was the last mass shooting.

EDIT: I'm not presenting an opinion on gun ownership, just saying that this incident doesn't say anything about the issue of gun ownership.

Yes in the US it does... Many advocates of outlawing guns here use what has happened in the UK as an excuse to outlaw them... They say making them available leads to this type of thing... Well they are not easily available in the UK, yet it still happened...

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

Buttons1990
Lol you mad and you ranting irrelevant crap. Anyway, horrible news to wake up to.
Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

T_P_O

Lol you mad and you ranting irrelevant crap. Anyway, horrible news to wake up to.

Relevant to me as I own thousands of dollars in handguns...

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

[QUOTE="T_P_O"][QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

Buttons1990

Relevant to me as I own thousands of dollars in handguns...

Cool story, but not relevant for this thread.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

[QUOTE="cjek"]

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

Buttons1990

Yes in the US it does... Many advocates of outlawing guns here use what has happened in the UK as an excuse to outlaw them... They say making them available leads to this type of thing... Well they are not easily available in the UK, yet it still happened...

Of course they're still going to happen no matter what laws you put in place, no one's arguing that. The argument is that legal guns means more shootings and if you compare the US and UK this is true.
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cjek

[QUOTE="cjek"]

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

Buttons1990

I see. I guess outlawing guns vs. outlawing guns in the US are two completely different issues given the culture difference between the US and other countries.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

[QUOTE="cjek"]

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

Buttons1990

Obviously. Gun laws don't stop psychopaths and criminals from obtaining guns, they only restrict access to honest and responsible citizens. I resent the gun laws here in Canada and I hope that Americans resist the idiots who want to impose the same kind of restrictions in the US.

On-topic: It's sad that this has happened. It really pisses me off when innocent people are shot for no apparent reason.

MRblue45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MRblue45
Member since 2010 • 445 Posts
I think he was using a shotgun though, shooting people point blank in the face I might add, and shotguns are legal here in the UK with the right licence, so the 'illegal to carry fire arms and it still happens' argument isn't that valid.
meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts

UbiquitousAeon
That's part of the problem. There's never a uniform logic behind it. Their minds are just twisted. Sad to hear, especially on top of all the other problems in the world.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

Buttons1990
Wow. You do know that there are way more mass shootings in the US, right? This incident really proves nothing about guns or gun ownership, other than its pretty easy to kill people with them. We already knew that though.
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

[QUOTE="cjek"]

Tezcatlipoca666

Obviously. Gun laws don't stop psychopaths and criminals from obtaining guns, they only restrict access to honest and responsible citizens. I resent the gun laws here in Canada and I hope that Americans resist the idiots who want to impose the same kind of restrictions in the US.

On-topic: It's sad that this has happened. It really pisses me off when innocent people are shot for no apparent reason.

Then why are homicide rates in the US much higher than the other Western countries?

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

Guns in the UK?

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Fort Hood, 2009. 13 dead, 30 injured. Virginia Tech, 2007. 33 dead, 25 injured. Westroads Mall, Omaha, 2007. 9 dead, 4 injured. Columbine, 1999. 15 dead, 24 injured Tell me, how are firearms so defended in the US?
MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

I think he was using a shotgun though, shooting people point blank in the face I might add, and shotguns are legal here in the UK with the right licence, so the 'illegal to carry fire arms and it still happens' argument isn't that valid. MRblue45

This.

I don't think I can understand anyone who doesn'trealise areas were guns are more readily available have more homicides. I mean the last time this happened in the Uk was 14 years ago, it's far more common in the US.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 one_plum

[QUOTE="MRblue45"]I think he was using a shotgun though, shooting people point blank in the face I might add, and shotguns are legal here in the UK with the right licence, so the 'illegal to carry fire arms and it still happens' argument isn't that valid. MattDistillery

This.

I don't think I can understand anyone who doesn'trealise areas were guns are more readily available have more homicides. I mean the last time this happened in the Uk was 14 years ago, it's far more common in the US.

To be fair though, I think Switzerland has a low homicide rate.

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
laws wont stop some people from breaking them. Especially gun laws.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

[QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

one_plum

Then why are homicide rates in the US much higher than the other Western countries?

There is bound to be more violence in an unhealthy society. Most other Western countries take better care of their citizens and the wealth is generally more equally distributed. Sure restricting guns in an unhealthy society could perhaps reduce gun crime but working towards a better society is a far better goal that kills two birds with one stone.

The good life, as I conceive it, is a happy life. I do not mean that if you are good you will be happy - I mean that if you are happy you will be good.

-Bertrand Russell

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts

Buttons1990
So this happens once and you think everyone should be carrying around guns to prevent shootings? Come on...
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#30 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Thats terrible, just saw this on BBC Look North right now.

dkrustyklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dkrustyklown
Member since 2009 • 2387 Posts

So much for strict gun control, eh?

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

UbiquitousAeon
yeah, I dont get it myself :?
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

So much for strict gun control, eh?

dkrustyklown
Loose Gun laws don't make a difference either
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Crazies who think they can take from others. Too bad some people are bad.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

That's a bummer.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Buttons1990

Not taking sides on the age old argument.. But your conclusion is not supported by the story.. No one suggested guns could be strickly gone within the region, but lessened? That could be a possibility.. No system is 100% fool proof, and regardless of the motion there will still have things like this happen.. Yet again not suggest I support the banning of guns (I am indifferent more along the lines adding regulations, but not banning of guns what so ever).

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 one_plum

[QUOTE="one_plum"]

[QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

Tezcatlipoca666

There is bound to be more violence in an unhealthy society. Most other Western countries take better care of their citizens and the wealth is generally more equally distributed. Sure restricting guns in an unhealthy society could perhaps reduce gun crime but working towards a better society is a far better goal that kills two birds with one stone.

A suggestion for conservatives then; either narrow the socioeconomic gap or tighten the gun laws. From the argument above, it seems like having none of the two is the reason why there's so much violence.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
good for him y'know
JayUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 JayUK
Member since 2004 • 299 Posts

A mate of mine was working in a shop literally around the corner from the first killing in Whitehaven. He was told by the police to shut the shop and lock the doors. All this happening just a week after the 2 teenagers died in the school bus crash and after the serious floods last year. Stuff like this doesn't happen to quiet rural West Cumbria.

And this argument about the banning of guns. The fact firearms are illegal in Britain means this kind of thing only happens once every 20 years rather than an annual event.

bruinfan617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bruinfan617
Member since 2010 • 3767 Posts

A mate of mine was working in a shop literally around the corner from the first killing in Whitehaven. He was told by the police to shut the shop and lock the doors. All this happening just a week after the 2 teenagers died in the school bus crash and after the serious floods last year. Stuff like this doesn't happen to quiet rural West Cumbria.

And this argument about the banning of guns. The fact firearms are illegal in Britain means this kind of thing only happens once every 20 years rather than an annual event.

-Jonce-

This is what people fail to see. Either through pure ignorance or denial because they think guns are "really cool".

Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

I say, when will it end?:roll:

BonsaiMet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BonsaiMet
Member since 2010 • 542 Posts
Very shocking stuff this. I live in Cumbria just 20 minutes from the town where it all started and it's far from what everyone expected to happen here.
Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

your title isn't the easiest to understand. The period almost makes it look like a decimal.

Gunman taxi driver shot and KILLED 12, and injured up to 30 more.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts

Buttons1990
No one can defend themselves against a man driving around, shooting people. Why on earth would anyone carry a gun in the first place? Paranoia breeds paranoia, if you're scared of going out clubbing because "people have knives!" you'll bring a knife yourself, and suddenly STABBETY STAB! Would you yourself be able to defend yourself/others against a taxi driver gone mad with a gun, if you had a gun? I seriously doubt it. Have you tried carrying a gun with a bullet wound in your body? I doubt it. Panic would grip the average person, which is why so many people shouldn't carry weapons. Maybe it works in the US, but it doesn't work that way in Europe. Just because a weapon isn't allowed, those who want to harm other people with them have a way to get them, illegally. Who's to say the taxi driver wasn't a free-time hunter and had a license? Seriously..
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Wow that's bad.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Whenever I read these stories about how these seemingly happy & cheerful people suddenly snap and go on a killing spree, I'm horrified at how fragile and unpredictable the human mind can be. None of it makes sense, and yet it happens more often than you'd care to admit.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

"I've never known anything like this, where somebody would want to walk out and kill so many people in such a beautiful place in such a short space of time,"...lol..

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

Guns in the UK?

Former_Slacker

Yup, not all firearms are illegal. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but: Shotguns, powder revolvers, pre-1917 guns/historic weaponry, air rifles/pistols, sniper rifles, and bolt-action rifles are legal, but all require a licence.

Gun crimes in the UK are very rare. A lot of our violent crimes involve knives.

Avatar image for Jedi_Shearstone
Jedi_Shearstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jedi_Shearstone
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts

Guns aren't illegal in Britain just pistols getting a shotgun or rifle just means obtaining a license which you get off the police if you have a good enough reason either Farmer or in a shooting club and rural areas gun ownership is quite high

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
Horriffic incident. Cant imagine how the families feel