UFC 97 Predictions and Discussion Thread: Silva v. Leites and Liddell v. Shogun

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts

Main Card

• Middleweight Championship bout: Flag of BrazilAnderson Silva vs. Flag of BrazilThales Leites[1]
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesChuck Liddell vs. Flag of BrazilMauricio Rua[1]
  • Heavyweight bout: Flag of FranceCheick Kongo vs. Flag of the NetherlandsAntoni Hardonk[1]
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesSteve Cantwell vs. Flag of BrazilLuiz Arthur Cane[1]
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of PolandKrzysztof Soszynski vs. Flag of the United StatesBrian Stann[1]

Preliminary Card

• Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesEliot Marshall vs. Flag of BrazilVinicius Magalhães[1]
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaDenis Kang vs. Flag of FranceXavier Foupa-Pokam[1]
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaJason MacDonald vs. Flag of the United StatesNate Quarry[1]
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaDavid Loiseau vs. Flag of the United StatesEd Herman[1]
  • Lightweight bout: Flag of CanadaMark Bocek vs. Flag of SwedenDavid Bielkheden[1]
  • Welterweight bout: Flag of JapanRyo Chonan vs. Flag of CanadaTJ Grant[1]
  • Lightweight bout: Flag of CanadaSam Stout vs. Flag of the United StatesMatt Wiman[1]

I will be updating the thread throughout the day with information and my predictions. When the event starts you can make this your official discussion thread for anything and everything UFC 97.

AROWE77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 AROWE77
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

Main Card

• Middleweight Championship bout: Flag of BrazilAnderson Silva vs. Flag of BrazilThales Leites[1]-------- Anderson Silva Ko, easily
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesChuck Liddell vs. Flag of BrazilMauricio Rua[1] ------------------ Chuck (Even though I want Shogun to win.... badly)
  • Heavyweight bout: Flag of FranceCheick Kongo vs. Flag of the NetherlandsAntoni Hardonk[1] ------------------- Kongo, he just keeps improving
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesSteve Cantwell vs. Flag of BrazilLuiz Arthur Cane[1] ---------------------Luiz Cane
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of PolandKrzysztof Soszynski vs. Flag of the United StatesBrian Stann[1] -------------------- Krzysztof.... I don't really care though, Proff X andKangshould be on the main care instead of this.

Preliminary Card

• Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesEliot Marshall vs. Flag of BrazilVinicius Magalhães[1] -------------------Vinicius, his ground game is top, but he has no heart
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaDenis Kang vs. Flag of FranceXavier Foupa-Pokam[1] --------------------- I think Kang will take it, but he's always made silly mistakes.
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaJason MacDonald vs. Flag of the United StatesNate Quarry[1] --------------------------- Quarry Ko, used to think he wasn't great but he's improved so much
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaDavid Loiseau vs. Flag of the United StatesEd Herman[1] ------------- I hope David takes this as Ed is an idiot
  • Lightweight bout: Flag of CanadaMark Bocek vs. Flag of SwedenDavid Bielkheden[1] --------- Bocek, but I want David to win
  • Welterweight bout: Flag of JapanRyo Chonan vs. Flag of CanadaTJ Grant[1] --------- Chonan
  • Lightweight bout: Flag of CanadaSam Stout vs. Flag of the United StatesMatt Wiman[1] ------- hmmmmm tough one but I 'd say Stout....

The undercard is looking amazing. I can't wait for this event :)

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Another knockout for Silva, heard it might be his last match? Also, another loss for the aged Liddell, and a much needed win for Shogun.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts

I want The Crow to win too. It would also be nice if Shogun won and won convincingly. That would make the future of the UFC so much better. If Rua loses, he could get fired and we would be left with an Iceman that could retire any day now.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gunswordfist

Another knockout for Silva, heard it might be his last match? Also, another loss for the aged Liddell, and a much needed win for Shogun.

immortality20
I just hope Demian Maia gets his shot before Silva leaves.
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jfcundiff
Kongo vs Hardonk will most likely be a great stand-up war resembling something like K-1. Hardonk has the best leg kicks in the HW division right now and could do plenty of damage to Kongo, but I could see it being fight of the night.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gunswordfist
I'll make sure to watch that fight.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts

Liddell is from my town so I gotta root for him. Plus he is awesome.

SwampKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SwampKitten
Member since 2009 • 176 Posts
Why would silva leave? He should go to a different division because middle weight is the weakest BY FAR. Go to LHW and try it there big boy. He would get jacked up so quick in LHW.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50624 Posts
Why would silva leave? He should go to a different division because middle weight is the weakest BY FAR. Go to LHW and try it there big boy. He would get jacked up so quick in LHW.SwampKitten
By who exactly? He has much better skill than anyone in the division, minus Machida. OOOOOo, that's a fight I'd like to see, Silva/Machida! Make it happen!
AROWE77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AROWE77

I remember Silva saying he wanted to try boxing, but that was a while back. It looks like Wanderlei and Anderson have taken a dislike to each other, which saddens me. If Wand and Anderson fight I don't know who I'd root for.

I think Chuck still has it, he was dominating the fight with Rashad untill the KO, yeah he lost to Rampage and Jardine, but they are tough guys. I'm seriously worried about Shogun though, I can't get over how bad his cardio has become, I remember in Pride he used to fight 20 minutes at a high pace and not gas. Now Shogungasses in the second round *sigh*

All in all it's a good card and I'm excited about it.

SwampKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SwampKitten
[QUOTE="SwampKitten"]Why would silva leave? He should go to a different division because middle weight is the weakest BY FAR. Go to LHW and try it there big boy. He would get jacked up so quick in LHW.Chutebox
By who exactly? He has much better skill than anyone in the division, minus Machida. OOOOOo, that's a fight I'd like to see, Silva/Machida! Make it happen!

You asking who could challenge Silva in LHW? Uh -- Rampage, Vanderlei, Rashad Evans would be my top matches, but even guys like Forrest Griffin or Keith Jardine would give him trouble. LHW is alot deeper than MW.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Do you guys not remember when Silva moved up to fight James Irving and won in under a minute? That was amazing.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50624 Posts

Do you guys not remember when Silva moved up to fight James Irving and won in under a minute? That was amazing.

immortality20
Was about to mention that, thanks.
SwampKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SwampKitten

immortality20

Bold and underlined for emphasis. :)

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

well this might be one of the easier predictions UFC title fight history. id say silva has this in the bag. though there some pretty big joke fights when liddell was on that long rampage as the LHW champ and they were running out of fighters to throw at him.

Cally_Cooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cally_Cooper
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Yooo big fight tonight the only fight i care about is Chuck Liddell beating shogun rua go The Iceman .Hope silva wins aswell cause hes awsome

Cya After

Peace Out :D

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

Should be a fairly easy victory for SIlva. Also I want Jason MacDonald to win because he is from my hometown.

-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
Silva will get a KO easily, and I bet shogun beats Liddell
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="SwampKitten"]Why would silva leave? He should go to a different division because middle weight is the weakest BY FAR. Go to LHW and try it there big boy. He would get jacked up so quick in LHW.Chutebox

Silva would destroy Machida.
rcarbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rcarbo
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

I will only do the main card I havent seen some of the fighters on the undercard...

Main Card

• Middleweight Championship bout: Flag of BrazilAnderson Silva vs. Flag of BrazilThales Leites[1] --I say Silva but I think Leites will give him a nice test..
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesChuck Liddell vs. Flag of BrazilMauricio Rua[1] --Rua, age is catching up to the Iceman...
  • Heavyweight bout: Flag of FranceCheick Kongo vs. Flag of the NetherlandsAntoni Hardonk[1] --Kongo
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesSteve Cantwell vs. Flag of BrazilLuiz Arthur Cane[1] --Cane
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of PolandKrzysztof Soszynski vs. Flag of the United StatesBrian Stann[1] --I havent seen either fight, but If I had to pick I would go with Stann (USA)..

so whos watching the ultimate fighter UK vs US....who do you think is the favorites in each weight cla$$ so far???

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gunswordfist
Dammit looks like I'll have to leave the thread after this post since I missed the last Ultimate fighter episode but so far my favorites are: Team UK: 1. Andre Winner 2. Ross Pearson 3. Nick O. 4. Dean Team USA: 1. Mark Miller 2. Demarques
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
ok im here and we all know Anderson is going to wipe the floor with Leites.
AROWE77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AROWE77

Anderson Silva will never fight Machida as they are friends, but I think it would be a close fight with Machida taking it by UD.

jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jfcundiff
UFC 97 is getting closer. I am going to hit the gym, do some essays for college, and then enjoy a great night of fights.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MgamerBD
What time does it start again?
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

Shogun looked pretty bad in his last fight, and i guess the same can be said about his entire ufc career. (no soccer kicks QQ)

So my money is on liddell even though i'm not a fan of his, and i think his game is a bit one dimentional.

I'm looking forward to the Cheick Kongo fight. I think it's strange that he isn't higher on the ladder.

Krzysztof Soszynsk..... That must be an announcers worst nightmare.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
UFC 97 is getting closer. I am going to hit the gym, do some essays for college, and then enjoy a great night of fights.jfcundiff
Getting a whole lot of crap done and watching MMA totally relaxed is one of the best feelings in the world. Anyway.... Leites by destruction Liddell by knockout Other than that, I've got Kongo, Soszynski, Cane, Marshall, Chonan, Bocek, Wiman, Macdonald, and Kang winning their fights. As far as Shogun goes, I do believe that his gas tank will be better this time, but i just see him getting caught at some point. Even a prime Shogun is a good matchup for Liddell, stylewise. Shogun's a wild muay thai striker who verges on sloppy at times, whereas Liddell is a counter-puncher at heart. Unless Shogun manages to do a lot of clinch-work, I just don't see him being able to due what Wand couldn't. That said, I do think Shogun will look better than he did against Coleman. With Silva/Leites....Leites just isn't the man for this job, imo. It is true that it takes a grappler to beat Anderson, but that grappler needs to have Henderson-level wrestling AND Maia-level BJJ. Leites doesn't nearly have the wrestling for this job, and frankly, I don't think his BJJ is good enough for him to expect it to carry the fight. At 185, I think that both Maia and Palhares probably have better BJJ....and let's not forget that Anderson Silva is a BJJ black belt who submitted Travis Lutter. He also submitted Hendo, who has only ever been submittef by the Nogueira brothers prior to that. Leites just isn't good enough. His striking isn't even worth talking about against Silva, his wrestling isn't good enough, and his greatest strength, his BJJ, isn't good enough. He shouldn't even be in this fight. Since when was beating Drew McFedries something that gave you a title shot? Since when was beating a legit contender (Marquardt) by split decision...even when everyone KNOWS that you were getting mauled and only lost due to the other fighter losing 2 points.....make you a legit contender?
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Silav is gonna wreck Leites, his Muay Thai is just too good. As for Liddell vs. Shogun, it can go either way. Hua used to be an amazing kick boxer, but lately he's been iffy. I hope Hua wins and makes a come back, but Liddell is one tough dude.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Paladin_King
Silav is gonna wreck Leites, his Muay Thai is just too good. As for Liddell vs. Shogun, it can go either way. Hua used to be an amazing kick boxer, but lately he's been iffy. I hope Hua wins and makes a come back, but Liddell is one tough dude.Setsa
How many people actually believe what Dana has been saying about Chuck being gone if he loses this fight?
Rath_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rath_01
Member since 2005 • 1163 Posts
[QUOTE="Setsa"]Silav is gonna wreck Leites, his Muay Thai is just too good. As for Liddell vs. Shogun, it can go either way. Hua used to be an amazing kick boxer, but lately he's been iffy. I hope Hua wins and makes a come back, but Liddell is one tough dude.Paladin_King
How many people actually believe what Dana has been saying about Chuck being gone if he loses this fight?

Its probably true hes gone down hill very quickly. How many times in a row can you watch a guy gets his faced punched in and still call him a top contender. Like Tito Ortiz champ one day chump the next.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Paladin_King
True, but at the very least, he'd make a good gatekeeper. I mean, renegotiating his undoubtedly insane contract? Sure. But fire him?
FlyingArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FlyingArmbar
Member since 2009 • 1545 Posts

Main Card

• Middleweight Championship bout: Flag of BrazilAnderson Silva vs. Flag of BrazilThales Leites Silva
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesChuck Liddell vs. Flag of BrazilMauricio Rua Chuck, but I want Shogun to take it
  • Heavyweight bout: Flag of FranceCheick Kongo vs. Flag of the NetherlandsAntoni Hardonk Kongo
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesSteve Cantwell vs. Flag of BrazilLuiz Arthur Cane Cane
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of PolandKrzysztof Soszynski vs. Flag of the United StatesBrian Stann Krzysztof

Preliminary Card

• Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesEliot Marshall vs. Flag of BrazilVinicius Magalhães I think Elliot will knock him out, if it goes to the ground vinny easy
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaDenis Kang vs. Flag of FranceXavier Foupa-Pokam Kang easily
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaJason MacDonald vs. Flag of the United StatesNate Quarry Tough fight but I think Jason will sub Quarry
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaDavid Loiseau vs. Flag of the United StatesEd Herman Loiseau I hope
  • Lightweight bout: Flag of CanadaMark Bocek vs. Flag of SwedenDavid Bielkheden Bocek
  • Welterweight bout: Flag of JapanRyo Chonan vs. Flag of CanadaTJ Grant Chonan
  • Lightweight bout: Flag of CanadaSam Stout vs. Flag of the United StatesMatt Wiman Stout I hope

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Paladin_King

Main Card

• Middleweight Championship bout: Flag of BrazilAnderson Silva vs. Flag of BrazilThales Leites Silva
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesChuck Liddell vs. Flag of BrazilMauricio Rua Chuck, but I want Shogun to take it
  • Heavyweight bout: Flag of FranceCheick Kongo vs. Flag of the NetherlandsAntoni Hardonk Kongo
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesSteve Cantwell vs. Flag of BrazilLuiz Arthur Cane Cane
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of PolandKrzysztof Soszynski vs. Flag of the United StatesBrian Stann Krzysztof

Preliminary Card

• Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United StatesEliot Marshall vs. Flag of BrazilVinicius Magalhães I think Elliot will knock him out, if it goes to the ground vinny easy
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaDenis Kang vs. Flag of FranceXavier Foupa-Pokam Kang easily
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaJason MacDonald vs. Flag of the United StatesNate Quarry Tough fight but I think Jason will sub Quarry
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of CanadaDavid Loiseau vs. Flag of the United StatesEd Herman Loiseau I hope
  • Lightweight bout: Flag of CanadaMark Bocek vs. Flag of SwedenDavid Bielkheden Bocek
  • Welterweight bout: Flag of JapanRyo Chonan vs. Flag of CanadaTJ Grant Chonan
  • Lightweight bout: Flag of CanadaSam Stout vs. Flag of the United StatesMatt Wiman Stout I hope

FlyingArmbar

Exactly how I feel about the card except that i think Wiman will win and I'm not sure if Xavier will be as easy a fight for Kang as one would think.

FlyingArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FlyingArmbar
Member since 2009 • 1545 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="SwampKitten"]Why would silva leave? He should go to a different division because middle weight is the weakest BY FAR. Go to LHW and try it there big boy. He would get jacked up so quick in LHW.gunswordfist

Silva would destroy Machida.

MW isn't a bad division, HW is much weaker. It has quite a few talented fighters, it's just that Silva is so good that few of them can provide him with legitimate competition.

Anderson Silva
Yoshihiro Akiyama
Michael Bisping
Rich Franklin (Probably staying at LHW for awhile)
Dan Henderson (Same as rich)
Wanderlei Silva
Patrick Cote
Denis Kang
Chris Leben
Thales Leites
Jason MacDonald
Demian Maia
Nate Marquardt
Dan Miller
Yushin Okami
Rousimar Palhares
Nate Quarry

That's just from memory, so I'm sure I left out a few names.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Paladin_King
True, MW isn't bad compared to HW, but I'd sure love to see some MWs from outside the UFC show up. Guys I'd like to see most are probably Belfort, Manhoeuf, and Jacare, though I wouldn't mind seeing Santiago or Misaki either. Also, too bad Robbie Lawler's with Strikeforce now; I'd imagine he'd be great in the UFC again. Jacare vs Maia? Manhoeuf vs Leben? Manhoeuf vs Silva (Wand or Anderson) Belfort vs Silva Lawler vs Marquardt damn, those are fights i'd love to see....and most of the fighters i listed would be bigger threats to Silva than Leites is.
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jfcundiff
Mousasi would be another great fight if he fought at MW.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I'll go with:

Silva

Shogun

Kongo

Crazy Horse

Krzystof

Luis Cane

Vinny

Xavier

MacDonald

The Crow

Biekheden

Chonan

Sam Stout

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Please, who is Thales Leites compared to Silva, his matches are becoming easier every time, I wonder why he backed up from fighting Bisbing lol.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MgamerBD
What time does it start again?!!
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts
What time does it start again?!!MgamerBD
It's at 5am where I live lol.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Paladin_King

Whelp, so far Marshall won a Unanimous Decision in an ugly fight. Vinny didn't look bad at all though. He's gotten better.

Grant pulled the upset and eeked out a split decision against Chonan

Bocek put on a clinic, winning by RNC in the first

And as we speak, Loiseau has had his ass kicked by Herman for two rounds. Herman is just on fire and Loiseau just isn't looking good on his return.

Edit: Herman wins via brutal unanimous decision. 30-27, 30-27, 30-26. Ouch.

jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jfcundiff
Its almost time; 13 minutes left.
SwampKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SwampKitten

Please, who is Thales Leites compared to Silva, his matches are becoming easier every time, I wonder why he backed up from fighting Bisbing lol.

HAZE-Unit
Probably because he'd have to fly to England to face Bisbing because that's the only place that puss will fight.
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jfcundiff
And here we go.
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jfcundiff
Please Shogun win for us PRIDE fans!
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jfcundiff

So far I thoughtLuiz won the first round and Cantwell won the second.

jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jfcundiff
I thought Luiz won that fight.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points