Two different job offers? Gamestop Assistant Manager or Bank Teller?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zorn_Ate_Thorn
Member since 2008 • 270 Posts

I've worked at Gamestop for three years, worked my way up and am finally the top pick for the assistant manager at my store. I'm a 21 year old lady and not in school (though am interested in going back). I've been part time until now, working about 25 hours a week and that has been enough to get me by. 

If you've ever known someone who worked or has worked at a Gamestop, then you know what I mean when I say there are pros and cons and I can't go into detail being an employee currently. It's a retail position, and I wasn't expecting a promotion, so I started looking elsewhere for a future career. I've got a shoe-in at IBC Bank and could have a job there in a minute.

Both positions are full-time with pto and have health benefits, but here are the pros and cons of each:

Gamestop Pros:

Casual work environment (can wear jeans)

Familiar with staff, tasks

Passionate about work

Pays more than the bank would

Discount on games

Work afternoons (sleeping in!) and only some mornings

Cons:

Used games are dying out (next gen consoles are getting rids of them!)

Retail stress 

Work most weekends

Customers are usually hateful

No where to move up except a Store Manager

Benefits come out of paycheck

Job often depends on individual sales (trades/reserves/poweruprewards)

Now for the bank Pros:

Paid benefits

Fixed days off

Professional work environment (very dressy)

can open doors to other careers

raise every 9 months

fixed hours every day

Cons:

I'm not a morning person

pays less than GS in the beginning

unexperienced with banks

I can stay with Gamestop as a general associate only working one evening a week so I can keep my discount and friends, but what would you do???? I figured I would ask you guys because my friends are all biased or indecisive. Just give a good ol' honest answer. What would YOU do?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Getting experience as assist manager sounds good. Maybe you could start bank teller and move up
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Tough choice here, but I think there's a better future in a bank job. 

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Bank teller is going to look btter on your resume, and you're gonna get some business experience, even if it's not much.

Plus I imagine it pays a couple dollars better.

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Yusuke420

My parents said the same thing, and they're always looking out for me. Thanks for the input. :)

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
bank teller. don't have to deal with retail sh*t
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#7 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Bank Teller easily. Get some good contacts there and you can move up places. Hard to move up at gamestop I would imagine.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I'd go for the bank job myself. 

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

How long does it take to move up in the bank position before it is earning more than the Gamestop Assistant Manager?

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zorn_Ate_Thorn

The best part is I'll never have to hear another Battletoads joke again...

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zorn_Ate_Thorn

How long does it take to move up in the bank position before it is earning more than the Gamestop Assistant Manager?

TacticalDesire

This I'm not sure of. Every 9 moths there is a raise, but the decrease in pay would be by a few dollars at least (from GS).

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Yusuke420

The best part is I'll never have to hear another Battletoads joke again...

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

LOL

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Bank teller. I would imagine if you do some studying on your own time you can probably get promoted to something like an Accounts Manager in time. I would also imagine that the skills you will learn are likely to be more transferable to other places while Gamestop will be strictly limited to retail.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Bank,easily.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Yusuke420

I just figured out that your username TC is from FFIX, that is awesome :D as I love that game. Damn it I justed turned my PS3 off and now look what you have done!!!!

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zorn_Ate_Thorn

I just figured out that your username TC is from FFIX, that is awesome :D as I love that game. Damn it I justed turned my PS3 off and now look what you have done!!!!

Yusuke420

WUT SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS ME?? 

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

I personally wouldn't want either but I'd rather any day put up with people in a bank then at a Gamestop. Also the bank deal just sounds better. 

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I voted bank before reading that you already had Gamestop experience. Im a gamestop employee as well. If you already know the pros and cons, and are OK with them, take the Asst Manager job.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Looking at your pros and cons, it brings up the question of exactly what benefits the bank is offering. If the benefits are included they can more than make up for the pay difference with Gamestop. For example, if your health insurance is included with the bank job that in itself can save you hundreds of dollars a month over having to take out a policy on your own.

In terms of not being a morning person, I would recommend getting over it. You will get used to waking up early after doing it for awhile. I hated waking up early but being in the Army made me get used to it and now waking up at 5:15 isn't a big deal anymore. I sleep in on the weekends.

Getting dressed for work will get you used to having to look nice if you get a better job later on. I don't know exactly how nice you have to look but if you are talking about slacks and a button shirt you can buy machine washable ones at Wal-Mart and throw an iron on it for five minutes.

As for a discount with games, I'm pretty sure you already know your discount may be negated by buying the game on Amazon for some used titles. Or the fact that if you are eventually getting paid more and only buy one or two games a month the discount won't be worth it.

A very important thing you want to look at if you do consider the bank job is your credit. At certain banks they may check your credit prior to hiring you because they don't want people with too much debt handling money. The theory is someone in debt may steal money or accept bribes to pay their debts off. Also, even if you don't have malicious intents bad credit may make them feel like you just can't handle responsibility over money.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Bank. There is no future in working at GameStop.

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zorn_Ate_Thorn

It seems like the mature decision is bank, Gamestop was fun while it lasted, but I am honestly looking to advance my career while I have the chance. Even though I don't have a degree, I'd like to get out of retail. It BLOWS.

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

Most of the people whom are happy in this life say the same thing, they love their work, they look forward to waking up each morning and getting started. While the bank choice may seem obvious, if you'd be as passionate about the first as you say, then I would consider that one more favourably because doing what you love as a living is the key ingredient to happiness. Although I don't know how possible it is to make a living workig there but just my 2 cents.

Being happy is what is important, so factor that perspective very closely.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I wouldn't wish employment at gamestop to my worst enemies

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

wis3boi

I doubt the other job will be as glamorous, fact of the matter is most people are going to be workign jobs that they are miserable at, but to find something that you'll be happy doing is golden and extremely rare. Its just a perspective that needs to be considered very closely.

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zorn_Ate_Thorn

wis3boi

It will be nice to have a soul again.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Bank Teller sounds alot better to me.

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zorn_Ate_Thorn

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

C_Glass

I doubt the other job will be as glamorous, fact of the matter is most people are going to be workign jobs that they are miserable at, but to find something that you'll be happy doing is golden and extremely rare. Its just a perspective that needs to be considered very closely.

I may like video games, but I like playing them more. Selling them isn't playing them. Most of my customers are old ladies looking for zumba games or crack heads trying to sell their ps2 games for gas money. Rarely do I get customers that love games as much as I do. Co-workers feel the same, and they're the only thing that make the jo the least bit tolerable. Being told you're a piece of crap every single day because you can only give someone 5 cents for a game worth 2 cents hurts the spirit.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
the gamestop job sounds much better to me. even if used games die out, it will look good on your resume that you worked at one place for so long and got promoted into management. besides, a management job is better than a customer service job anyday and bank teller is just customer service. however i've never been the ambitious type... whatever makes me happiest and with the least stress and is enough to live on is what i would go for.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44641 Posts
Bank Teller would probably mean high pressure but lead to more career opportunities, GameStop assistant manager would be fun though. I'd go bank, once I was making more I'd use those extra clams to indulge in my gaming desires. Curious how much time it'd take to move up to something like loan officer.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Bank Teller, hands down. There's plenty of room for growth with hard work. Also, you won't have to deal with frickin' whiny ass gamers all day.
Sutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Sutton
Member since 2003 • 1758 Posts

Go with the bank, young lady. If you decide to revitalize your educational career, you can work days and go to school during the evenings. Also, as was stated earlier, the benefits will more than make up for the loss of pay, and you can work towards a promotion to make up for that initial loss of pay. Take advantage of your young years now, while you have endless energy. At your age, employers will lean more towards your work ethic than the length of time you've worked at any place. They know you're young, and still figuring out your life and yourself.

Go with the bank, and take advantage of the evenings.

And enjoy yourself. Don't lose sight of a good time on the weekends. ;)

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

Bank teller for sure! :)

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts
Definitely bank teller. I will never work retail ever again.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
bank.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Depends if you want to work retail and run a store one day or work at bank.. personally I think a bank job would be pretty boring.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I'd go for the bank teller job.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Gamestop Assistant Manager. Hands down. Don't listen to the others, I've worked for two large banks.

Those raises are not guaranteed, regardless of who told you what. You will not always get that raise. You will occasionally get it. Also, bank teller is less impressive than assistant manager on any resume. It doesn't matter what company you're an assistant manager for, it will always look better than teller. A teller is an entry-level position and easy to qualify for. Assistant manager shows you have competency, can be accountable/responsible, and drive for leadership, you can always segue into management at other companies.

Furthermore, the best reason not to work at the bank. People are funny with their money. Trust you me, the level of animosity and general absurdity you will have to put up with dealing with people and money, as a teller, is astronomically higher than the "trolling" you get from customers at Gamestop.

Take the Assistant Manager job, ASAP.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

Gamestop is a sinking ship.  You'll want to get out at some stage.  Maybe do the assistant manager for a year, but keep your eyes open and get out at the best opportunity. 

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Honestly, this is your decision alone to make. I don't know you nor am I in any position to tell you what to do with your life. Should talk to personal friends and family about it if you want other views.
LAN7ERN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LAN7ERN
Member since 2013 • 352 Posts
I would go with the bank job.
Squall18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 Squall18
Member since 2004 • 3756 Posts

As someone who has worked for a fortune 500 company and recruits for one of the world's largest firms in my city, I would say mentioning the word, "MANAGER" (even if it is an assistant position) on your resume' will pay off more in the long run. If you can move up to mgmt, then you're resume' is set for some serious recruiting action :) Also, if you go back to school and get a good degree (and I'm not downplaying a lot of degrees, but the best advice I received was major in something with high job potential that you like and minor in something you love), then you will be even more marketable.

Now, as someone who also worked retail jobs throughout college, you always think other industries will be better. Well, though I absolutely love what I do, I still deal with people (both nice and very standoffish) on a daily basis :) In other words, the grass ain't always greener in terms of customers (and corporate employees) on the other side.

Now that being said, from a business standpoint I feel that would be the best route. For personal reasons, you need to do what will make YOU happy :)

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
If you are looking for something temporary then stick with gamestop. If you are looking for something to have a career in, something long term, then go with the bank.
masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

Teller for sure...Hell...just on the principle of not having to go though another black Friday or holiday rush.

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Teller for sure...Hell...just on the principle of not having to go though another black Friday or holiday rush.

masiisam

you have felt my pain before, I sense it -_-

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

[QUOTE="masiisam"]

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

you have felt my pain before, I sense it -_-

I think working retail builds a strong character...and makes you drink a lot!..:lol:

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
If you don't want to go to college and are willing to relocate then I say take the gamestop job... work it for two tears then apply somewhere else as a manager... work that for a few years then apply for a head managers position at a store like walmart or family dollar... they can make up to 100k depending on the market... if you just have to get out of retail then go back to college...
Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

Bank, better future.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
why does everyone in this thread think working at a bank offers a better future? teller is a low level position... same as working the counter at any retailer. having an assistant manager position on her resume will do LOADS more for her future career than working at a bank.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Zorn_Ate_Thorn

My parents said the same thing, and they're always looking out for me. Thanks for the input. :)

Agreed with this.  But I guess that depends if the experience from that type of job would benefit what you want to do in the future. Â