Toys R Us could be filing for Bankruptcy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aac10039779c
deactivated-5aac10039779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5aac10039779c
Member since 2014 • 34 Posts

Been a long time since I ever bought anything gaming related in a Bricks and Mortar store, but nevertheless it would be a shock to see it disappear entirely.

Mod Edit - Link Removed

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@xtratip:

I liked them in the 90's.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

That's a real shame, they were the last real toy stores left. :(

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

According to CNBC, although they may file for bankruptcy, it doesn't necessarily mean they are closing stores just yet, citing Macy's as an example of a retailer that still was open when they filed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/18/toys-r-us-could-file-for-bankruptcy-as-soon-as-this-week-sources-say.html

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

I don't even blame Amazon. Kids today don't want "toys" these days. They want "gadgets" and smart phones, even video games was actually the start of the beginning of the end playing toys. Back when I was growing up in the 90's, my parents got me my first ever gaming console that is SNES, I totally stop playing toys, (but I still buy few action figures for show however) I still would go to Toys R Us just to ask Mom to buy games for me and that was it. Video Games was really slowly killing off toys.

Seeing Toys R Us going to file for Ch. 11 was just a matter of time, video games took over kids nowadays, smart phones was a bonus to that end and the best thing about Toys R Us, it was part of the excitement for us kids in the 90's; seeing all of the different toys (Transformers, GoBots, Gi Joes, Star Wars, etc.) that were advertised during our Saturday morning cartoons. Also not buying the cartoon action figures is what really killed off most of those action cartoons was also a problem.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#6 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

As far as the vg industry is,it is killing other forms of entertainment.Even most movie's can't ever compete against video games sales.In most cases it's not even close

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I bought my game gear and a bunch of games from toys r us will definitely miss them

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I used to go the Toys R Us by me when I was younger every Sunday morning. Gone are the days when kids play outside or go to the park.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

Had a lot of good times in "The R-Zone" (I think it was called that). I remember getting the Oracle Ages/Seasons games there, had the choice between a Game Gear and those two games...I think I made the right choice?

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@xtratip said:

Been a long time since I ever bought anything gaming related in a Bricks and Mortar store, but nevertheless it would be a shock to see it disappear entirely.

https://www.ft.com/content/96cee6f6-9cc3-11e7-8cd4-932067fbf946

Yep, but they are just to pricy. Also its unfair to them when Walmart, Target, and many other chain stores have the same for less. I went there last month, and got my nephew something.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

I always preferred Kay-Bee over TRU but it did have its merits like watching fistfights erupt over cabbage patch dolls in the early 80's and a decent selection of toys. IMO three things have worked against it over the years. The first is how many I've seen are not in a close proximity to an actual mall. The second is how it become less kid (or teen) friendly in terms of gaming demonstration stations and finally, PRICE.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

That kind of sucks. While I don't have a Toys 'R Us where I live I still much prefer going to brick and mortar stores to buy my stuff and still much prefer getting my games on physical format. I'm not really into shopping online or buying digital.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#13 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I don't want to grow up. I'm a Toys R Us kid. There's a million toys at Toys R Us that I can play with!

*here's a phone with a spinner ap*

**** Toys R Us!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

I don't want to grow up. I'm a Toys R Us kid. There's a million toys at Toys R Us that I can play with!

*here's a phone with a spinner ap*

**** Toys R Us!

lol

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

the lego stores aren't considered to be "real" toy stores?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox

@TheShadowLord07 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

the lego stores aren't considered to be "real" toy stores?

I didn't know I could buy Nerf guns, Transformers and puzzles at a Lego store. :S

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Brick and mortar in general seem to be having a tough time these days. I get why what with Amazon and everything, but it's pretty rare that I will actually buy something from Amazon.

Anywho, yeah, toys r us was a cool place to go as a kid. As an adult I don't buy the types of toys they have to offer. Hell most of the stuff I want is computer related, so this doesn't effect me all that much I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#18 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

During the PS2 years I would go there and sometimes find games that were difficult to find elsewhere.

I didn't really go to Toys R' Us much as a child since not many of them were close. I always preferred Hills and Kaybee's, and even Ames to Toys R' Us. I might be in the minority with that remark, but that's the truth.

More recently, I would sometimes pop into the one near a mall a few miles away. I would rarely ever buy anything there, but went mainly to look and see what kinds of toys they did have. If I had children of my own, I would probably look forward to taking them to a toy store to buy them new dolls or action figures. So, I guess it's a shame so many stores that used to exist are going the way of the do-do bird nowadays.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Retail apocalypse.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Brick and mortar in general seem to be having a tough time these days. I get why what with Amazon and everything, but it's pretty rare that I will actually buy something from Amazon.

Anywho, yeah, toys r us was a cool place to go as a kid. As an adult I don't buy the types of toys they have to offer. Hell most of the stuff I want is computer related, so this doesn't effect me all that much I suppose.

@foxhound_fox said:

Personally I have a daughter and I won't shop at Toys R Us anymore. Their prices are so inflated, I am not the least bit surprised. For instance, my daughter wanted a Lego set. It was cheaper at the mall in a random store then it was in Toy R Us. I'm sure online companies prices make it look like its price gouging. I understand they have bills to pay but when your mark up is considerably more then other companies who carry toys as side option... I have to question why?

Toys R Us used to be a good place to shop toys in the 90's but nowadays, they need to fix their prices. It is way to expensive now!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

i@davillain- said:

I don't even blame Amazon. Kids today don't want "toys" these days. They want "gadgets" and smart phones, even video games was actually the start of the beginning of the end playing toys. Back when I was growing up in the 90's, my parents got me my first ever gaming console that is SNES, I totally stop playing toys, (but I still buy few action figures for show however) I still would go to Toys R Us just to ask Mom to buy games for me and that was it. Video Games was really slowly killing off toys.

Seeing Toys R Us going to file for Ch. 11 was just a matter of time, video games took over kids nowadays, smart phones was a bonus to that end and the best thing about Toys R Us, it was part of the excitement for us kids in the 90's; seeing all of the different toys (Transformers, GoBots, Gi Joes, Star Wars, etc.) that were advertised during our Saturday morning cartoons. Also not buying the cartoon action figures is what really killed off most of those action cartoons was also a problem.

Hasbro and Lego are still making money. There's still demand for toys I think, it's just where people are buying them.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By foxhound_fox

@davillain- said:

Personally I have a daughter and I won't shop at Toys R Us anymore. Their prices are so inflated, I am not the least bit surprised. For instance, my daughter wanted a Lego set. It was cheaper at the mall in a random store then it was in Toy R Us. I'm sure online companies prices make it look like its price gouging. I understand they have bills to pay but when your mark up is considerably more then other companies who carry toys as side option... I have to question why?

Toys R Us used to be a good place to shop toys in the 90's but nowadays, they need to fix their prices. It is way to expensive now!

That's odd. The Toys R Us's we have here in Winnipeg run Lego at market price. Same sets at Wal-Mart, etc are the same price at Toys R Us.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Wonder if that means Amazon will buy them too

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Removed the link to the paid news site in the OP.

Yeah, this isn't surprising but as Hallenbeck said, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll cease to exist. Personally, I like the idea of at least -one- big toy retailer chain still existing out there, since the rest of them are pretty much gone.

-Byshop

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JustPlainLucas

@Byshop said:

Yeah, this isn't surprising but as Hallenbeck said, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll cease to exist. Personally, I like the idea of at least -one- big toy retailer chain still existing out there, since the rest of them are pretty much gone.

-Byshop

Remember Kay-Bee? Pettridge Farm remembers.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Oh yeah. There was a Kay-Bee near pretty much every Software ETC, GameStop, or EB Games in every mall.

-Byshop

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I'm waiting for the day 10-20 years from now when we are going to be out of pretty much all these brick and mortar stores and then Amazon/Wal-Mart/etc are going to be like "So, prices are going up 200%"

Anyway, I've been seeing a revival of mom-and-pop stores and smaller chains in my town and many other small towns; not big chains, mind you, but it's kind of nice to see "old down town" revivals in the wake.

There's no room for the middle any more, you either need to be a small local place with great service or a really huge massive online place with great deals.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JustPlainLucas

@Byshop said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Oh yeah. There was a Kay-Bee near pretty much every Software ETC, GameStop, or EB Games in every mall.

-Byshop

Yeah, I remember back when we had EB Games, the KBs were always a few shops down. When EB didn't have a game, KB most likely did. Great times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:
@Byshop said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

-Byshop

Yeah, I remember back when we had EB Games, the KBs were always a few shops down. When EB didn't have a game, KB most likely did. Great times.

We still have EB Games here. Ironically the last time I visited one they had redesigned the store and one wall was entirely devoted to lame "geek" crap like those Funko bobble head things, t shirts, etc.

They're doing what they have to do I guess. My point is, clearly Toys R Us needs to have a wall and a few aisles of adult stuff. -_-

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@stormcast: yea..if you have kids you know that..my daughter is 10 and still plays with toys on most days...the problem is definitely amazon..i am concerned about the centralizing of purchasing and think we should be looking at breaking them up

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Dang it's only a matter of time before we're down to just Target, Walmart, and Amazon, lol.