Top Ten Most Talented Bands Ever?

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts

Well, I narrowed it down to ten bands, and then listed them in order from most talented to least talented (least talented of course still being ridiculously good). However, I'd like to see what OT thinks and post their own choices. Then I'll edit the list when applicable.

This is how I listed it.

1. Rush
2. Tool
3. Dream Theater
4. Opeth
5. The Deer Hunter
6. Between the Buried and Me
7. Gorguts
8. The Dillinger Escape Plan
9. The Mars Volta
10. Animals as Leaders

This will be the starting list. Post bands that you believe should be in the top ten, and if we come to a group consensus, I'll add/remove bands.

Citrus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Citrus25
Member since 2009 • 2466 Posts

4. Opeth-Tish-

Opeth is my top band and it easily beats the other 9.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#3 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts

I don't think this thread's gonna fair well. TBH I think with people's opinions we're sure to get some fighting. I think The Beatles are the most talented, followed by Queen, and I dunno about the other 8.

To_Ashes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 To_Ashes
Member since 2006 • 549 Posts

I don't think this thread's gonna fair well. TBH I think with people's opinions we're sure to get some fighting. I think The Beatles are the most talented, followed by Queen, and I dunno about the other 8.

Cloud_765

Agreed, but I have to go with you and say Queen followed by Rush.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
No Huey Lewis and the News? :(
MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
The Beatles are easily more talented than any band you listed mainly because of Lenon/McCartney writing talent.
dhyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dhyce
Member since 2003 • 5609 Posts

Estradasphere x 10

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

Well, I narrowed it down to ten bands, and then listed them in order from most talented to least talented (least talented of course still being ridiculously good). However, I'd like to see what OT thinks and post their own choices. Then I'll edit the list when applicable.

This is how I listed it.

1. Rush
2. Tool
3. Dream Theater
4. Opeth
5. The Deer Hunter
6. Between the Buried and Me
7. Gorguts
9. The Mars Volta
10. Animals as Leaders

This will be the starting list. Post bands that you believe should be in the top ten, and if we come to a group consensus, I'll add/remove bands.

-Tish-

MY MAN!! i clicked this thread thinking 'dude better have Rush in here...' And you had them in the #1 spot. WIN. I just went to their show in Camden on 7-21. Ill be seeing them again on 8-31.

I would also have DMB #2 on my list, but you would not agree with that obviously :P

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

No Queen? I am dissapoint TC.

Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts

[QUOTE="-Tish-"]4. OpethCitrus25

lol no. Gorguts is the more talented. Luc Lemay crushes Mikael A. guitar-wise. Lemay friggen created his own style of playing :P Listen to anything off Obscura for a taste of what I mean. It's ridiculously hard to play.
-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Tish-
Yeah, Queen probably should be in there somewhere. Who should they replace?
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

I don't know. You might not see the full extent of someone's talents in the songs they choose to play. I mean someone might be able to play the best solo in the world and choose not to because it dosn't suit the style of their band. That's why I don't like these "Top 100 *Instrument* Players" lists. It's difficult to judge. I suppose you could argue that it's about who shows the most talent in what they play, but even then you have to consider the specific style they choose to play in. Too complicated.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

Decent list, TC. I like some of those bands.

More people in OT need to give jazz a chance. Miles Davis had some of the most talented band lineups in history.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

It's kind of hard because I know for a fact cIassical music has the most talent involved but I don't know anything about it. From the bands I listen to it would go: 1. Hypocrisy (seeing as it's Peter Tagtgren) 2. Pain (same reason :P) 3. Eluveitie 4. Carach Angren 5. Moonsorrow 6. Equilibrium 7. Agalloch 8. Ensiferum 9. Amon Amarth 10. Turisas Something like that.

nZiFFLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nZiFFLe
Member since 2009 • 1481 Posts

Rush is definitely number 1 for me as well.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

1. Prince. I'm not fond of his music but this man has mastered every instrument he's ever picked up.

2. Beatles. Sure, at first they were factory-made trite, but once that LSD hit them boy, oh boy.

3. Led Zeppelin. These guys did many styles from blues to reggae (D'yre Mak'er...and it's NOT pronounced Dier Maker) to folk and mastered it all.

4. The Doors. Just....poetry.

5. Pink Floyd. They're all buttholes but you can't deny the talent.

6. Santana. An amazing musician.

7. Stevie Wonder. The man is blind and still probably invented metal drumming. :P

After that it gets kinda blurry.

Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts
[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

It's kind of hard because I know for a fact cIassical music has the most talent involved but I don't know anything about it. From the bands I listen to it would go: 1. Hypocrisy (seeing as it's Peter Tagtgren) 2. Pain (same reason :P) 3. Eluveitie 4. Carach Angren 5. Moonsorrow 6. Equilibrium 7. Agalloch 8. Ensiferum 9. Amon Amarth 10. Turisas Something like that.

I swear you just listed your favourite bands. But I guess everyone is doing that...
-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Tish-

I don't know. You might not see the full extent of someone's talents in the songs they choose to play. I mean someone might be able to play the best solo in the world and choose not to because it dosn't suit the style of their band. That's why I don't like these "Top 100 *Instrument* Players" lists. It's difficult to judge. I suppose you could argue that it's about who shows the most talent in what they play, but even then you have to consider the specific style they choose to play in. Too complicated.

WasntAvailable
That is why I chose some of the bands I did. A lot of them have numerous levels of multidimensionality. But I get what you're saying. [QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

More people in OT need to give jazz a chance. Miles Davis had some of the most talented band lineups in history.

To be honest I know almost nothing about jazz, but I don't doubt it's extremely loaded with talent.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

No Queen? I am dissapoint TC.

clyde46

I'm not....:P

However..this is just an opinion thread. So feel free to make your own list.

hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts
Mine would be in no particular order: 1. Queen 2. The Beatles 3. Rolling Stones 4. The Clash 5. Blur 6. The Who 7. R.E.M 8. The Kinks 9. U2 10. The Jam Heh...
Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

1. beatles - they wrote many hits

i'll leave my list at that :P

Bloodaxe726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bloodaxe726
Member since 2007 • 7903 Posts

1. Iron Maiden

2. Led Zeppelin

3. Gorguts

4. Mastodon

5. Nevermore

6. Decrepit Birth

7. Rush

8. Agalloch

9. Megadeth

10. Death

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

I'm going to throw in The Police as being right up there - I can't think of any other band with only 3 members that sounds so.... full

EDIT: I'll throw in a supergroup whilst I'm at it - the Travelling Wilbury's

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic

I'm going to throw in The Police as being right up there - I can't think of any other band with only 3 members that sounds so.... full

poptart
Placebo has 3 members....
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RobboElRobbo
[QUOTE="Rikardur"][QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

I swear you just listed your favourite bands. But I guess everyone is doing that...

Nah, my top 10 favorite bands would be 1.Eluveitie 2.Hypocrisy 3. Equilibrium 4. Ensiferum 5. Elvenking 6. Agalloch 7. Amon Amarth 8. Carach Angren 9. Pain 10. Thyrfing

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

RobboElRobbo

Ehhh much as I love AA/Eluveitie/Equilibrium I wouldn't say they're some of the most talented. Probably same for Hypocrisy. Moonsorrow is debateable.

Hmm... my list (not in order):

Megadeth
Nevermore
Death
Nile
Immolation
Demilich

Will have to think on the others...

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 poptart

[QUOTE="poptart"]

LJS9502_basic

Unfortunately Placebo are perrenial underachievers and whose back catalogue isn't quite as diverse as The Police. Besides, in terms of talent I would say they're far more reliant upon effects to create the sound they do. In addition, The Police have one awesome drummer. Possibly my favourite... :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

Nah, my top 10 favorite bands would be 1.Eluveitie 2.Hypocrisy 3. Equilibrium 4. Ensiferum 5. Elvenking 6. Agalloch 7. Amon Amarth 8. Carach Angren 9. Pain 10. Thyrfing

RobboElRobbo

Going for some light music?:P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="poptart"]

poptart

Unfortunately Placebo are perrenial underachievers and whose back catalogue isn't quite as diverse as The Police. Besides, in terms of talent I would say they're far more reliant upon effects to create the sound they do. In addition, The Police have one awesome drummer. Possibly my favourite... :P

Sting has a whiny voice though....
-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Tish-
Some of the bands that caught my eye are Pink Floyd (although not really a fan, they are very good at what they do), Mastodon, and Agalloch. I also think Porcupine Tree is a definite candidate. I see a lot of people have The Beatles at the top of their list... I'm having a terribly tough time agreeing with them being the most "talented", but that's just my opinion. Maybe I can be convinced otherwise. :P
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 poptart

[QUOTE="poptart"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Placebo has 3 members....LJS9502_basic

He has an awesome voice. A little whiny yes, but not quite as flaky as the singer of Placebo's (can't remeember his name - the one with the faux US accent)

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RobboElRobbo

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

chessmaster1989

Ehhh much as I love AA/Eluveitie/Equilibrium I wouldn't say they're some of the most talented. Probably same for Hypocrisy. Moonsorrow is debateable.

Hmm... my list (not in order):

Megadeth
Nevermore
Death
Nile
Immolation
Demilich

Will have to think on the others...

Well for Eluveitie the amount of instruments used is my reason. As for Hypocrisy and Pain I should have just put Peter Tagtgren because I'm convinced he's the best death metal vocalist ever, as well as being able to play anything, writing all his music himself and recording/mixing it in his studio. Equilibrium's music is produced by one guy as well, it's more or less a one man army going on there.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="poptart"]

poptart

He has an awesome voice. A little whiny yes, but not quite as flaky as the singer of Placebo's (can't remeember his name - the one with the faux US accent)

Meh....I think it's very whiny and it irritates me. Brian Molke...faux? One of his parents is an American maybe that is where he picked it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
You've got a pretty good list there. :) You're missing Porcupine Tree and Edge of Sanity though.
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 poptart

[QUOTE="poptart"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Sting has a whiny voice though....LJS9502_basic

Meh....I think it's very whiny and it irritates me. Brian Molke...faux? One of his parents is an American maybe that is where he picked it up.

Sting's voice doesn't irritate me... just his personality :PBrian - that's it. Didn't know he had an American parent - I'll take that part back then...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
[QUOTE="poptart"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Placebo has 3 members....LJS9502_basic

I think he's a lot better than Molko. He has a very nasally, irritating voice. He's the reason I don't enjoy Placebo as much as I'd like too. :(
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

Sting's voice doesn't irritate me... just his personality :PBrian - that's it. Didn't know he had an American parent - I'll take that part back then...

poptart

Hey man he's tantric.

flordeceres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 flordeceres
Member since 2005 • 4662 Posts

the thelonious monk quartet was loaded with talent as is medeski, martin and wood

on a more popular note, the white stripes is a ridiculously talented band

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic

I think he's a lot better than Molko. He has a very nasally, irritating voice. He's the reason I don't enjoy Placebo as much as I'd like too. :(Guppy507
After awhile you don't notice it so much....couldn't imagine Placebo without him.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

It's kind of hard because I know for a fact cIassical music has the most talent involved but I don't know anything about it. RobboElRobbo

Oh but Luc Lemay of Gorguts does. He's a cIassical composer when not working with Gorguts. :P

[QUOTE="Citrus25"]

Rikardur

lol no. Gorguts is the more talented. Luc Lemay crushes Mikael A. guitar-wise. Lemay friggen created his own styIe of playing :P Listen to anything off Obscura for a taste of what I mean. It's ridiculously hard to play.

It's true. He has numerous techniques that aren't used by any other guitarist (he created them himself) and it gives his band such a unique sound...

If you're talking sheer talent, I'd list some other artists (progressive metal/jazz-fusion oriented or cIassiccal composers) but really when it comes to technicality and songwriting in unison it's tough to beat bands like like Gorguts, Ulcerate, etc., at least in 'popular' music.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 poptart

[QUOTE="Guppy507"] I think he's a lot better than Molko. He has a very nasally, irritating voice. He's the reason I don't enjoy Placebo as much as I'd like too. :(LJS9502_basic

After awhile you don't notice it so much....couldn't imagine Placebo without him.

I actually didn't mind his voice when nancy boy came out (hell I even bought the CD single). After that I just found him too one dimensional... But you're right - Placebo wouldn't be the same without his vocals... I always thought they could have been so much better. Ah well...

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

Rush is the most talented band I've listen to.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

StrawberryHill

Funny you should mention that, I've been getting in to Jazz recently. I'm a total Jazz noob, but Miles Davis and the people he plays with are incredible.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

Iron Maiden should be in that list, especially when you consider how they helped shape the "metal" genre.

I agree with a lot of your picks though.

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -Tish-

Alright I've changed a few things around. It's kind of hard to decide what bands to pull out though, seeing as how no one has specifically mentioned any of the bands on my list as being "unworthy".

1. Rush
2. Tool
3. Dream Theater
4. Opeth
5. The Deer Hunter
6. Gorguts
7. Between the Buried and Me
9. The Mars Volta
10. Queen

Yeah... Still pretty similar.

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

1. Rush

2. Queen

3. Beatles

4. Led Zeppelin

5. Metallica

6. Tool

7. The Doors

8. Gorguts

9. Santana

10. Nine Inch Nails

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RobboElRobbo

Alright I've changed a few things around. It's kind of hard to decide what bands to pull out though, seeing as how no one has specifically mentioned any of the bands on my list as being "unworthy".

1. Rush
2. Tool
3. Dream Theater
4. Opeth
5. The Deer Hunter
6. Gorguts
9. The Mars Volta
10. Queen

-Tish-

That's because none of them are unworthy, except maybe The Dillinger Escape Plan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

1. Rush
2. Tool
3. Dream Theater
4. Opeth
5. The Deer Hunter
6. Gorguts
9. The Mars Volta
10. Queen

-Tish-

It's far worse now that Queen is on it. :P

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -Tish-

[QUOTE="-Tish-"]

1. Rush
2. Tool
3. Dream Theater
4. Opeth
5. The Deer Hunter
6. Gorguts
9. The Mars Volta
10. Queen

Guppy507