Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Movies

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ciredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 ciredude
Member since 2004 • 2524 Posts

10 MOST UNDERRATED AND UNSEEN MOVIES

10. Waiting...
In a sea of Judd Apatow-driven comedies, this movie got lost when it really shouldn't have. It's really funny, and can definitely hold a candle to any other modern comedy. The group of off-beat high school grads that make up the crew at Shenanigan's Restaurant play off each other extremely well. While the movie focuses on Justin Long's and Ryan Reynolds' characters, every supporting cast member holds their own, making this movie even better. Oh, and Dane Cook's in it. I bet you didn't know that.

9. Hot Rod
If you enjoy Andy Samberg on Saturday Night Live, which you most likely do, why haven't you seen Hot Rod yet? I congratulate this movie for embracing its own stupidity and taking it to hilarious levels. If you need a reason to see this movie, see it for Andy Samberg's tantrum in the forest set to Foreigner music.

8. Just Friends
If you learn anything from this list, it should be that Ryan Reynolds doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's a funny guy, and he proves he can take the lead in Just Friends. It's a completely relatable and hysterical movie about the complications of dating a close friend. If you're looking for a lighthearted and enjoyable comedy, go rent Just Friends. Ten bucks says you've never seen it before.

7. Ghost Town
This is a pretty recent film, so I guess it's fair to say people really haven't had a chance to see it. Either way, I know this did terribly in theatres when it shouldn't have. While the idea of a man who can see ghosts and reluctantly helps them may sound stupid, Ricky Gervais saves this movie, supported by the best role Greg Kinnear has ever had. The delivery and exchanges between the two of them make this movie consistently funny and touching.

6. 3:10 to Yuma
This remake of the 1957 western which I never saw is the only western I have ever enjoyed. I didn't just enjoy it, I love it. It's packed full of everything that makes movies awesome. The performances from the entire cast are incredible, especially Christian Bale's who seems wholly incapable of making a bad movie. If I say anything more about this movie, I'll probably give away something from its twist-filled plot, and I definitely don't want to ruin this movie for anyone. Just trust me when I tell you this movie is awesome.

5. Michael
An unorthodox love story with real heart, Michael stands out as Nora Ephron's best (And least annoying) film. Side note: If I ever see Sleepless in Seattle again, I'll lose my mind, and I've only seen it once. Forget any preconceived notions you have about Nora Ephron's standard love stories when you see this movie. This is anything but standard. Tabloid reporters take a road trip with an alcoholic angel and find love. That sounds interesting to me. Also, over ten years later, this movie still holds the record for most times seen in theatres for me. (Six times.)

4. Twelve Monkeys
I suppose I could put "Everything Terry Gilliam has Ever Directed" on this list, because they're all awesome and it seems nobody has seen any of them, but I feel Twelve Monkeys is the most important out of his films to see right away. This movie was filmed back in a time where Brad Pitt actually tried and Bruce Willis… well actually Bruce Willis is still exactly the same. Either way, this movie is ridiculously awesome and definitely one of the best sci-fi movies ever. Every actor delivers an amazing performance, especially Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines, the completely insane mental patient.

3. Red Eye
Psychological horror films seem to be a thing of the past. There's only so many times I can watch Psycho and still be shocked how sick Norman Bates is, and that's why I was thrilled when Red Eye came along. The movie follows Lisa Reisert on the plane ride from hell as she receives an absolute psychological **** from the man sitting next to her. The chilling performance from Cillian Murphy (My pick for the creepiest guy currently in showbusiness) as the sociopathic Jackson Rippner is complemented by the feeling of claustrophobia that comes with being stuck in an airplane. Which, by the way, is where ninety percent of this movie takes place.

2. Dude, Where's My Car?
See this movie. See it now. It is the slacker comedy of slacker comedies, and gets none of the praise it deserves. Yes, it's stupid. Yes, it makes very little sense. But isn't that what comedy is about? Comedies should steer away from the vapid indie comedy formula that is becoming increasingly more popular, and make more movies about two stoners who can't remember a damn thing. Seriously.

1. Donnie Darko
You knew this was coming. If you didn't, you don't know me or haven't been reading much of anything that I write. Though I've successfully introduced this movie to nearly all of my friends, chances are you still haven't seen it. Go see it as soon as possible. This movie is the most original and fascinating movie I have ever seen. Not only is it an excellent coming-of-age story, it's also a complex story of alternate universes and time travel. Think of a trippy combination of every 1980s teen drama or comedy, then add a time traveling rabbit man. Donnie Darko.

10 MOST OVERRATED MOVIES

10. Being John Malkovich
While I enjoyed Being John Malkovich, it doesn't deserve the amount of praise it gets from critics and viewers alike. Sure, it's funny at times (The idea of a half-floor is my favorite), but it's not nearly as funny as it thinks it is. In a world flooded with unoriginal films, I can see why critics clung so tightly to this movie. People should learn that just because something is original, it isn't automatically the best thing ever. Though sometimes, like in Donnie Darko's case, it comes very close to the best thing ever.

9. A Clockwork Orange
At the risk of being attacked by film snobs, I'm going to admit that I don't like Stanley Kubrick as a director very much. His ability to suck the life out of what would be incredibly interesting characters never ceases to amaze me. Case in point: A Clockwork Orange. My favorite book of all time was completely drained of character in Kubrick's adaptation. What was an interesting insight into the mind of a killer became a heartless, mindless, and unnecessary two hours of violence and sex.

8. Juno
Juno was sometimes funny. But the fact is that if you label a movie a comedy, it should make you laugh consistently. Getting in the way of comedy is the completely subdued dialogue that often comes along with indie comedies (Dry, unfunny lines throughout with way too many awkward pauses) as well as the completely ridiculous dialect that most of the characters use. I want Diablo Cody to show me on a map where teenagers speak the way she apparently thinks they do. Only then will I be able to make peace with this movie.

7. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
I like The Two Towers and The Return of the King. I really do. The problem with Fellowship is that there is too much time for dialogue, and frankly, these movies are not well written. Present this argument to anyone who dressed as Gandalf on opening night, and you'll probably get talked up from forty different fantasy nerd angles. Really, it's just your run-of-the-mill fantasy **** The whole time they talk about unpronounceable mountains and massive weapons, and it gets old. As a side question, am I the only one who gets annoyed with how much Frodo cries in this one?

6. The Sixth Sense
Building suspense until the last five minutes works with something like The Twilight Zone. It works because the suspense is successfully bolstered in a twenty minute time slot, at which point the shocking reveal occurs. This formula does not work with a feature length movie, and M. Night Shalamabanana needs to figure this out badly. Somewhere along the line, the feeling of suspense leaves and becomes an overwhelming desire to scream "GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!" at my television. After waiting and waiting, the best you could do is reveal that Bruce Willis is dead? Really?

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2001 is the most robotic movie of all time. As much as A Clockwork Orange is devoid of character, 2001 is devoid of everything human. It's missing interaction between actors, emotion, dialogue, a decent plot, and basically anything that invokes emotion from viewers. The last 40 minutes are great, I'll give it that, but you'll need to endure nearly three hours of pretentious artsy **** before you get to anything significant. (I just want to say that even though I dislike most of Kubrick's work, Dr. Strangelove is amazing. The movie probably worked because it's impossible to drain character from Peter Sellers or Slim Pickens.)

4. Little Miss Sunshine
I am sick of these indie comedies. It's like comedies no longer need to make you laugh. Little Miss Sunshine is the epitome of overrated indie comedies, following a thoroughly depressing family cross-country on a hopeless mission to get a funny looking and unfunny little girl to a pageant. The funniest thing in the whole movie was Dwayne's T-shirt, reading "JESUS WAS WRONG." When the funniest thing in a whole comedy film is a T-shirt, that is not a good sign.

3. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
I don't care what anyone says, Sean Penn's slacker character is extremely unlikable. Instead of being a loveable slacker like the guys from Office Space or Pineapple Express, he comes as a complete surfer douchebag. Add this to the fact that the movie is more depressing than it is funny. Brad's love interest gets pregnant with his friend and gets an abortion. That's another thing, why the hell does Brad insist on hanging around this **** holier-than-thou prick through the whole movie? Frankly, I don't see how this movie is up there with The Breakfast Club as a movie that defined teens of the 80s.

2. The Godfather
That's right. I went there. I went there with bells on. A movie infinitely wrapped up in its own arrogance, The Godfather goes nowhere. It goes nowhere very, very slowly. It's worth seeing so that you understand the references that pop up everywhere, and it is a halfway decent movie. But it is not the best movie of all-time, as so many think it is. Sure, it has the elements of an incredible film: character development, engaging dialogue, conflict, anything any other movie on this list lacks. The problem is that there is far too much of everything. It becomes difficult to focus on or get to know any one character because there's just too much going on. From all this clutter, one would expect an amazing twist or something. But Michael just lies to his wife about being involved in Carlo's death. Yay.

1. The Matrix
I could write novels about how much I can't stand The Matrix. I really could. I didn't even bother to clutter this list with the other two Matrix atrocities, because I can't even bring myself to call them films. What pisses me off the most about this movie is that it could have been awesome. The plot sounds great, but it gets lost in big-budget special effects that make absolutely no sense. The biggest offender: When Morpheus is held captive by Agent Smith, and Neo unloads a Gatling gun from his helicopter, how the **** is Morpheus untouched while every single Agent Smith (even ones off to the side) dies?

Honorable Mention: Forrest Gump
I know it's epic and heartfelt. I know Forrest is loveable and whatever. Why should I care? Therein lies the problem with this movie. Not once does this movie make me feel like I should care about what Forrest Gump is doing. Also, why does no one seem to care that Jenny is a drug addicted whore?

Poster_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Poster_11
Member since 2003 • 438 Posts
burn after reading was the worst movie i've seen in a long time thats #1 for me.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
Let me get this straight.. Clockwork Orange and John Malkovic are overrated but Dude Wheres My Car is underrated? Thats blasphemy!
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I knew there'd be a LotR movie in the Overrated ones. I just did.

But honestly, when does Frodo cry in the movie? :?

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kozzy1234

Underrated

- Rainy Dog

- The Dekalog

- Sacred Sun

- Fireworks

- Easy Rider

- Millers Crossing

- Tombstone

- The Double Life of Veronique

- IT

- Last Life In The Universe

Overrated =

- Wall E

- I am Legend

- Titanic

- Newest Indiana Jones

- Forrest Gump

- Matrix 2 and 3

- 2nd Star Wars

- Rocky Horror Picture Show

bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 bitemeslippy
Member since 2005 • 1626 Posts
Decent lists however I see Donnie Darko as the most overrated movie of all time. Most of my friends have seen this movie and for some reason it seems like all the guys hate it and all the girls like it...I really have no idea why. However I just feel like they're trying so hard to convey some universal message that just isn't even there.
bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bitemeslippy

Underrated

- Rainy Dog

- The Dekalog

- Sacred Sun

- Fireworks

- Easy Rider

- Millers Crossing

- Tombstone

- IT

Overrated =

- Wall E

- I am Legend

- Titanic

- Newest Indiana Jones

- Forrest Gump

- Matrix 2 and 3

- 2nd Star Wars

kozzy1234

What? I loved Wall-E :(. I definitely agree on Rocky Horror Picture Show though, huge cult following for no reason if you ask me.

ciredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ciredude

Decent lists however I see Donnie Darko as the most overrated movie of all time. Most of my friends have seen this movie and for some reason it seems like all the guys hate it and all the girls like it...I really have no idea why. However I just feel like they're trying so hard to convey some universal message that just isn't even there.bitemeslippy

I dunno, man. All my friends, guys and girls, love it. It's my favorite movie of all time. The brilliance of it is that it has a universal message, but they don't just hang it in front of your face like most movies do.

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

Underrated

- The Dekalog

- Millers Crossing

kozzy1234

You are awesome.

Overrated =

- Wall E

kozzy1234
I take it back. :P

*composes own list*

JackMcSexbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JackMcSexbeard
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
Your Overrated films list makes me very sad. 2001 ASO is a masterpiece.
Avatar image for someotherguy654
someotherguy654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 someotherguy654
Member since 2004 • 15122 Posts
How the hell is Donnie Darko overrated? Everyone I hear who has an opinion on it praises it as the best movie ever.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kozzy1234
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Underrated

- Rainy Dog

- The Dekalog

- Sacred Sun

- Fireworks

- Easy Rider

- Millers Crossing

- Tombstone

- IT

Overrated =

- Wall E

- I am Legend

- Titanic

- Newest Indiana Jones

- Forrest Gump

- Matrix 2 and 3

- 2nd Star Wars

bitemeslippy

What? I loved Wall-E :(. I definitely agree on Rocky Horror Picture Show though, huge cult following for no reason if you ask me.

Dont get me wrong, i enjoyed Wall E alot personally, but i put it under overrated for the fact that alot of people where calling it the best film of the year and what not and i dissagree with that. Its a good movie and worth checking out, but its no where near best picture of the year material IMO.

ciredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ciredude
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Underrated

- Rainy Dog

- The Dekalog

- Sacred Sun

- Fireworks

- Easy Rider

- Millers Crossing

- Tombstone

- IT

Overrated =

- Wall E

- I am Legend

- Titanic

- Newest Indiana Jones

- Forrest Gump

- Matrix 2 and 3

- 2nd Star Wars

bitemeslippy

Easy Rider's good. I haven't seen the others on that list, though.

I like Wall-E and I Am Legend though. I Am Legend isn't like, the greatest movie ever by any means but it's still fun. Also, Rocky Horror Picture Show shouldn't even count as a movie. It's just bats**t crazy.

bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bitemeslippy

[QUOTE="bitemeslippy"]Decent lists however I see Donnie Darko as the most overrated movie of all time. Most of my friends have seen this movie and for some reason it seems like all the guys hate it and all the girls like it...I really have no idea why. However I just feel like they're trying so hard to convey some universal message that just isn't even there.ciredude

I dunno, man. All my friends, guys and girls, love it. It's my favorite movie of all time. The brilliance of it is that it has a universal message, but they don't just hang it in front of your face like most movies do.

Out of all the people I have ever talked to about the movie noone has ever been able to tell me the great message that it has. So many have claimed it does but they never are able to tell me, maybe if I knew I'd appreciate the movie more.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Underrated

- The Dekalog

- Millers Crossing

RobbieH1234

You are awesome.

Overrated =

- Wall E

kozzy1234
I take it back. :P

*composes own list*

LOL, i love Walle man, just not best picture of the year as alot of people are saying imo.

Glad to see someone who enjoyed those 3 movies you quoted from my post hehe.

Dekalog friggin blew me away.

bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bitemeslippy
[QUOTE="bitemeslippy"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Underrated

- Rainy Dog

- The Dekalog

- Sacred Sun

- Fireworks

- Easy Rider

- Millers Crossing

- Tombstone

- IT

Overrated =

- Wall E

- I am Legend

- Titanic

- Newest Indiana Jones

- Forrest Gump

- Matrix 2 and 3

- 2nd Star Wars

kozzy1234

Dont get me wrong, i enjoyed Wall E alot personally, but i put it under overrated for the fact that alot of people where calling it the best film of the year and what not and i dissagree with that. Its a good movie and worth checking out, but its no where near best picture of the year material IMO.

Fair enough, I'll agree with you there.

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

10. Waiting...Oh, and Dane Cook's in it. I bet you didn't know that.

ciredude

Are you trying to say that's a good thing? If I remember correctly a lot of people in OT don't find Dane Cook to be funny... Oh, and for the record I did actually know Dane Cook was in the movie. Wasn't he pretty much to only reason to see it?

Also, I'm still not convinced enough to watch Donnie Darko, after reading the back of the box and hearing my friend make fun of it/people from my high school say they love it, I really have no want to see it...

bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bitemeslippy

[QUOTE="ciredude"]10. Waiting...Oh, and Dane Cook's in it. I bet you didn't know that.

Niff_T

Are you trying to say that's a good thing? If I remember correctly a lot of people in OT don't find Dane Cook to be funny... Oh, and for the record I did actually know Dane Cook was in the movie. Wasn't he pretty much to only reason to see it?

Also, I'm still not convinced enough to watch Donnie Darko, after reading the back of the box and hearing my friend make fun of it/people from my high school say they love it, I really have no want to see it...

Yeah I honestly hated the fact that Dane Cook was in this movie. I have never been a fan of his and I don't think he added anything to the movie at all.

ciredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ciredude

How the hell is Donnie Darko overrated? Everyone I hear who has an opinion on it praises it as the best movie ever.someotherguy654

That's because it is! :D

JackMcSexbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JackMcSexbeard

Some random Underrated films:

The River

Elephant

Strangers on a Train

Stray Dog

The Killing

Solyaris

Speed Racer

Nights of Cabira

Vanilla Sky

Harakiri

ciredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ciredude

The River

Elephant

Strangers on a Train

Stray Dog

The Killing

Solyaris

Speed Racer

Nights of Cabira

Vanilla Sky

Harakiri

JackMcSexbeard

Original Solaris = Win.

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RobbieH1234

LOL, i love Walle man, just not best picture of the year as alot of people are saying imo.

kozzy1234

The Dekalog is one of the greatest cinematic achievements, well, ever.

With regards to Wall-E, 2008 is the only year that it could be regarded as the best film of the year. It's my favourite film of 2008, but I don't know if it'd break my top 10 of 2007. If it came out that year and people said it, words would be exchanged. :P

bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bitemeslippy
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

RobbieH1234

With regards to Wall-E, 2008 is the only year that it could be regarded as the best film of the year. It's my favourite film of 2008, but I don't know if it'd break my top 10 of 2007. If it came out that year and people said it, words would be exchanged. :P

I can honestly say I've never even heard of The Dekalog, when'd it come out?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
2001, The Godfather, Forrest Gump, and The Sixth Sense are not overrated. My top overrated: 1. The Dark Knight 2. Braveheart 3. Slumdog Millionaire 4. The Shining (great book, bad movie) 5. The Bridge on the River Kwai Top Underrated: 1. Reservoir Dogs 2. The Green Mile 3. Patton 4. Mystic River 5. Unforgiven
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kozzy1234
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

RobbieH1234

Hell yeah, best peice of film ive ever seen in my life i think Teh Dekalog, simply amazing.

Your a fan of the wire (my fav tv show), so i can agree to dissagree with ya on Wall E being this years best film hehe.

Bloodaxe726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bloodaxe726
Member since 2007 • 7903 Posts
I agree with a lot or your list TC, especially with Just Friends and 3:10 to Yuma, such a great movies.
musicaz70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 musicaz70
Member since 2007 • 1949 Posts

Just Friends is terrible... Waiting was pretty funny, and I remember being pleasantly surprised as I wasn't expecting anything out of it, but Just Friends, man what a bad movie.

JackMcSexbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JackMcSexbeard

Two overrated films from this year are Slumdog Millionaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I would someone to convince me that im wrong.

Also im not a huge fan of:

Heat

Philadelphia Story

Some Like it Hot

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Batman Begins

Peter Jackson's King Kong

Scarface

Hana-bi

Sonatine

Blood Diamond

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RobbieH1234

Hell yeah, best peice of film ive ever seen in my life i think Teh Dekalog, simply amazing.

Your a fan of the wire (my fav tv show), so i can agree to dissagree with ya on Wall E being this years best film hehe.

kozzy1234
I said it was my favourite, not the best. :P

The Wire is the greatest thing I've ever seen, film or television. I was going to compare the quality of The Dekalog to season 4 of The Wire, but I didn't know if you'd seen it or not.

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RobbieH1234

Two overrated films from this year are Slumdog Millionaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I would someone to convince me that im wrong.

JackMcSexbeard
Benjamin Button is one of the films whereby I cannot justify why I think it's great; it just "clicked" with me. The more I think about Slumdog though, the more I dislike it. I'll never understand the praise that it gets.
JackMcSexbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JackMcSexbeard
[QUOTE="RobbieH1234"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

kozzy1234

I really need to go and see that along with the three colors trilogy.

JackMcSexbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JackMcSexbeard
[QUOTE="JackMcSexbeard"]

RobbieH1234

Benjamin Button is one of the films whereby I cannot justify why I think it's great; it just "clicked" with me. The more I think about Slumdog though, the more I dislike it. I'll never understand the praise that it gets.

I can understand why alot of people really dig Benjamin Button, it's got some great scenes and has alot of charm. None of it just clicked with me in anyway.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

RobbieH1234
I said it was my favourite, not the best. :P

The Wire is the greatest thing I've ever seen, film or television. I was going to compare the quality of The Dekalog to season 4 of The Wire, but I didn't know if you'd seen it or not.

I own every season of the wire and the dekalog package (;

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kozzy1234
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"][QUOTE="RobbieH1234"]The Dekalog is one of the greatest cinematic achievements, well, ever.

JackMcSexbeard

I really need to go and see that along with the three colors trilogy.

Yeah man The Dekalog finally is avilable on dvd in north america, so you can pick it up on amazon.com and other places.

As for the colour trilogy, i LOVE Red and Blue but White wasnt up to par with the other two imo (blue and red i consider classics, while white is just decent imo).

I reccomend seeing The Dekalog and The Colour Trilogy over almost all other movies (especially Dekalog, 10 one hour long episodes, simply awesome).

The Double Life Of Veronique was also another great movie from Krystoff that you should see if you havnt before.

I dont know what it is about him as a director, but his work just blows me away. Some might think his work is a bit boring, but i dont think any other director has effected my life as much as he has. His movies just speak to me unlike any other director for some reason. Also always has amazing cinematography, good acting and always good storys. It seems like who ever i watch one of his movies with, we are always chatting about the mvoie LONG after its done, definatly one of my top 3 directors ever.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Donnie Darko underrated? :lol:
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RobbieH1234
Underrated

The Dekalog
Miller's Crossing
The Double Life of Veronique
The Sweet Hereafter
Munich
The Assassination of Jesse James
Quiz Show
The Insider
Carlito's Way
Three Colours Trilogy

Overrated

Forrest Gump
The Silence of the Lambs
Titanic
Crash
Scarface
Slumdog Millionaire
Gosford Park
Gone With the Wind
A Beautiful Mind
...The Shawshank Redemption

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kozzy1234

Underrated

The Dekalog
Miller's Crossing
The Double Life of Veronique
The Sweet Hereafter
Munich
The Assassination of Jesse James
Quiz Show
The Insider
Carlito's Way
Three Colours Trilogy

Overrated

Forrest Gump
The Silence of the Lambs
Titanic
Crash
Scarface
Slumdog Millionaire
Gosford Park
Gone With the Wind
A Beautiful Mind
...The Shawshank Redemption

RobbieH1234

Ahhh, good to see Munich, Carlitos Way and the Colour Trilogy on ya list mang:)

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
A Clockwork Orange is overrated? Blasphemy!
JackMcSexbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JackMcSexbeard
[QUOTE="JackMcSexbeard"]

The River

Elephant

Strangers on a Train

Stray Dog

The Killing

Solyaris

Speed Racer

Nights of Cabira

Vanilla Sky

Harakiri

ciredude

Original Solaris = Win.

Stop trying to make me like you after your badmouthing of 2001.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sammyjenkis898

Oh yeah, I forgot to add my list.

Overrated

1. Forrest Gump

2. Million Dollar Baby

3. Fight Club

4. Titanic

5. Unforgiven

Underrated

1. The Reader

2. Zodiac

3. Half Nelson

4. Little Children

5. The Orphanage

ciredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ciredude

Overrated

1. Forrest Gump

2. Million Dollar Baby

3. Fight Club

4. Titanic

5. Unforgiven

Underrated

1. The Reader

2. Zodiac

3. Half Nelson

4. Little Children

5. The Pianist

sammyjenkis898

I agree with Titanic, Forrest Gump, and Million Dollar Baby, but Fight Club deserves all the praise it gets.

I haven't seen Zodiac, but I just rented it. David Fincher is awesome... except for Alien 3

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] Underrated 5. The Pianist

I agree with most of your list except this one. The Pianist was a great movie and got great reviews so I don't consider it underrated
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="andyboiii"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] Underrated 5. The Pianist

I agree with most of your list except this one. The Pianist was a great movie and got great reviews so I don't consider it underrated

Agreed. After I posted that I thought to myself about all of the praise it gets. I would replace it with The Orphanage.
mixmax5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mixmax5
Member since 2006 • 2347 Posts
The Big Lebowski. I love this movie. Don't really know what to consider it though I would have to guess underrated.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Overrated

5. Unforgiven

sammyjenkis898

I like how you have Unforgiven as overrated while I have it as underrated :D.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

Underrated:

1. American Psycho

2. After Hours

3. Noi the albino

4. Phantom of the paradise

5. Dead Man's Shoes

6. the fall

7. Let the right one in

8. Shadow of the vampire

9. The King of Comedy

10. Nil by Mouth

Overrated:

1. The Matrix

2, The Departed

3. Wall-E

4. Gone with the wind

5. The Dark Knight

6. Training Day

7. Napoleon Dynamite

8. Saving private ryan

9. Terminator 2: Judgement Day

10. Fight Club

TheSpinLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheSpinLight
Member since 2008 • 126 Posts
Fight Club is IMO one of the worst films i have ever watched,i cannot for the life of me see what all my friends do, the fight scenes arn't even good, hell if i wanted to watch a decent fight i'd put in one my dads old Ali tapes so that only leaves the p*** poor 10th grade existentialim that is filled with cliches not to mention the strong overtones of femminism really its just plain awful
JERMINITIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JERMINITIS
Member since 2007 • 1517 Posts

5 Overrated (in no particular order):

2001: A Space Odyssey

Scarface

Magnolia

Talladega Nights

The Truman Show

5 Underrated (in no particular order):

Lonesome Dove

BLOW

Cast Away

61*

Just Friends

Baffels18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Baffels18
Member since 2008 • 573 Posts

Top 5 Overrated Movies in no order

The Dark Knight

Wall-E

Slumdog Millionaire

Scarface

Godfather (All Three)

Top 5 Underrated Movies in no order

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Machinist

American Pyscho

Gattaca

Children Of Men

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Matrix 2-3 are both hated on so much, it's tough to even see the good points in many people's opinions. The philosophy is still there though, but much more hidden and it does progress throughout the series. They're far from the most overrated.

Donnie Darko belongs on the overrated list, however. A cult classic film that I can't go for a week without hearing about it from someone.