To all the people that watched the movie "District 9"

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

Did anyone notice how many ******** times Sharlto Copley said a certain word that rhymes with duck during the film? For Christ sake, over 2 weeks later my gf and I are still joking about it, how many times is it necessary to use foul language in a movie to make the protagonist look badass is beyond me, this is the fist time in a long time i was annoyed by the constant swearing on the screen at some point I just got tired of the swearing, still enjoyed the move a lot, it really impressed me but the constant uncalled for swearing somehow reduced the impact of the message for me.

Do you ********* get my point OT? What Im trying to ********* say is that the movie didnt need the gross amount of swearing at all, the occasional **** Bomb would have sufficed. :P

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
Stop complaining. They're words. >_>
my_mortal_coil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 my_mortal_coil
Member since 2009 • 2839 Posts

I thought it was funny the way he said it.

"Fook"

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Did anyone notice how many ******** times Sharlto Copley said a certain word that rhymes with duck during the film? For Christ sake, over 2 weeks later my gf and I are still joking about it, how many times is it necessary to use foul language in a movie to make the protagonist look badass is beyond me, this is the fist time in a long time i was annoyed by the constant swearing on the screen at some point I just got tired of the swearing, still enjoyed the move a lot, it really impressed me but the constant uncalled for swearing somehow reduced the impact of the message for me.

Do you ********* get my point OT? What Im trying to ********* say is that the movie didnt need the gross amount of swearing at all, the occasional **** Bomb would have sufficed. :P

AgentA-Mi6

Hmmm...

Didn't notice it too much. I suppose I gave it a pass as it fit in with the situation he found himself in.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AgentA-Mi6
Stop complaining. They're words. >_>zakkro
Im loved the Movie, the message, eveything this film was something else but it was the constant swearing what threw me off base at times.
Nevlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Nevlim
Member since 2007 • 5312 Posts
Yeah I still joke with my friends about that. I think using it that much makes the movie worst but it is still a good movie.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zakkro
[QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"] Im loved the Movie, the message, eveything this film was something else but it was the constant swearing what threw me off base at times.

Once again, they're words. That's it.
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AgentA-Mi6
[QUOTE="zakkro"][QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"] Im loved the Movie, the message, eveything this film was something else but it was the constant swearing what threw me off base at times.

I guess you're right, its just my feedback, I wanted to know how other people felt about it or if they noticed at all :P
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Uh, Midnight Run also suffered from this. Well, I wouldn't say 'suffered'. It was hilarious. God I love that film.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
He said it as Fook and it was quite funny. Didn't distract me at all.
JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
I didn't mind.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
If I was in that situation, I wouldn't be saying "Aww, dang it. This isn't going the way I planned. Shucks." It made more sense for him to curse.
Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts
I didn't even notice excessive swearing.
Bedizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bedizen
Member since 2009 • 2576 Posts

Didn't notice, most likely more related to the character than trying to annoy your sensibilities

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
Seeing as half the people I have known in my lifetime use an expletive every other word I hardly notice. Especially in a killer movie that is some of the best science fiction in years.
Bruin4ev3r1520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bruin4ev3r1520
Member since 2005 • 8843 Posts
I never really notice excessive swearing in movies. Except for in In The Loop...but it was hilarious so I dont care
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

does that really matter?

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Yeah, it was hilarious.

I need to fooking get outta here eh?

you fooking prawn eh?

fooking 'A. :lol:

SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

OMG they said bad words. Thats terrible.

Welcome to modern society where have you been, under a rock?

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

To be honest both times I saw it in theaters I didnt know their was so much swearing in this movie.

goth_bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 goth_bacon
Member since 2007 • 1110 Posts
Fook mon! Fook!" I loved that movie and the way he cursed was music to my ears.
Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
You mean to tell me if SPOILERS AHEAD you started turning into a freaking alien, and then you started blowing dudes up with lightning guns you wouldn't be cursing?
nintendo_ds_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nintendo_ds_06
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

I love the way he swears :) it definitely never put me off while watching it

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
If I was in that situation, I wouldn't be saying "Aww, dang it. This isn't going the way I planned. Shucks." It made more sense for him to curse.JML897
Exactly. If anything, it adds to his performance.
Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
It was not for the baddass effect at all! I saw it as humor and thats probably his word instead of "DANG IT" I enjoyed the film and didn't out that into my judgement.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

AgentA-Mi6

Tell you the truth, I honestly didn't notice at all, even after watching the movie twice. The profanity was used so casually that it just didn't stand out at all.

In any case, I certainly don't think that the intent was to make the protagonist look badass. For the majority of the movie, Wickus was sort of a racist insensitive cowardly backstabbing little jerk. In fact, he NEVER really ended up seeming "badass". He was just forced into a really bad situation and did the best he could out of severely limited options.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"] Im loved the Movie, the message, eveything this film was something else but it was the constant swearing what threw me off base at times.zakkro

I still think that this is a bad argument (even though I disagree that the swearing in District 9 hurt the movie).

EVERYTHING that anyone ever says in a movie is just words. If "they're just words" is a valid excuse, then how can we ever criticize ANY movie for having a stupid and porrly written script? After all, it's all just words, right?

And if this was the case, then every novelist would be as good as any other. All they're doing is writing words, right?

That's like excusing a bad painting because "it's all just paint", or excusing a bad photograph because "it's all just photons striking a light-sensitive emulsion".

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 zakkro

I still think that this is a bad argument (even though I disagree that the swearing in District 9 hurt the movie).

EVERYTHING that anyone ever says in a movie is just words. If "they're just words" is a valid excuse, then how can we ever criticize ANY movie for having a stupid and porrly written script? After all, it's all just words, right?

And if this was the case, then every novelist would be as good as any other. All they're doing is writing words, right?

That's like excusing a bad painting because "it's all just paint", or excusing a bad photograph because "it's all just photons striking a light-sensitive emulsion".

MrGeezer

I thought you'd comment on this. :P Eh, I agree with what you're saying, but what I really meant is that in the context that they were used, they weren't done to make people uncomfortable. Someone was either pissed off or amazed at something, and some people just use these words.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Speaking of D9, is there an action figure for the mech at the end? Like a decent, $100-200 model? I've looked everywhere. It'd be cool to have on my desktop.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Honestly I did not notice at all during the movie , but when thinking back on it I do seem to recall it being used quite a bit. Did not mind or even register the heavy use when seeing the film though.
halogenlamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 halogenlamp
Member since 2009 • 36 Posts

Tourette's?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]I still think that this is a bad argument (even though I disagree that the swearing in District 9 hurt the movie).

zakkro

I thought you'd comment on this. :P Eh, I agree with what you're saying, but what I really meant is that in the context that they were used, they weren't done to make people uncomfortable. Someone was either pissed off or amazed at something, and some people just use these words.

In that case, I agree. That IS a valid argument.

Just be sure to say so next time.

Again, I actually DISAGREE that District 9 had too much swearing. But the (admittedly indisputable) fact that swear words are just words really doesn't mean anything. Words are just the means by which certain information and ewmotions are communicated to the audience. This is common to EVERY artistic or journalistic work that ever uses words, but it doesn't mean that all those works are equal.

The clarification definitely helps, and I now agree with what you're saying. I thought that the swearing was fine in the given context. Others obviously disagree, and we can discuss that. But let's just make sure that when we DO criticize, that we are making valid criticisms.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I didn't really notice that.

cpo335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 cpo335
Member since 2002 • 5463 Posts
If him sayiong the F-Bomb that many times offended you or w/e, then you should get out more. Honestly, it's just a word. I've seen so many movies/been in so many situations where it's been used that it doesn't even phase me anymore. My teachers even use it, but rarely.
slevenJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 slevenJ
Member since 2009 • 651 Posts
It's aright I suppose.
WeaponXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 WeaponXY
Member since 2009 • 1280 Posts

I thought it was funny the way he said it.

"Fook"

my_mortal_coil
Agreed. Accented cussing is awesome. :D
bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts
For once, this doesnt bother me so much. The movie was engaging enough that excessive cursing actually seemed logical/ in place. I can tell you, i know plenty of people, and i know many people do to, that will drop f- bombs everytime they trip or get insulted in some way. given the circumstances, im sure that anybody with a potty mouth will go off. And for once, the movie was good enough or realistic enough (maybe its cause they really made it seem like a true documentary) that i didnt really care so much for the excessive f-bombs.
CuDDKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CuDDKiDD
Member since 2004 • 4727 Posts

It didn't really stand out to me. It seemed really natural give Wikus's situation.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

I didnt notice it really. Pretty good film too. The best swearing I have seen in a film this year though is IN THE LOOP. Those who have seen it will know what I mean:D

Shhadow_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shhadow_Viper
Member since 2009 • 2300 Posts

Well TC, don't ever watch Reservoir Dogs. :lol:

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
understand the context OP. he was a friendly guy with a wife and a good life and it all went down the drain. the end result you'll get a really pissed off swedish guy
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Over half of the dialogue was improvised anyway. I find it much easier to act like this by using a lot of common, mostly meaningless words. It allows me to think at the next sentences without paying too much attention to what I'm saying now.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

[QUOTE="zakkro"]Stop complaining. They're words. >_>AgentA-Mi6
Im loved the Movie, the message, eveything this film was something else but it was the constant swearing what threw me off base at times.

They were being shot at. The man was mutating. I would be swearing also.

shaunk89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 shaunk89
Member since 2009 • 945 Posts

Well for starters he said it in a comical South African accent, so I was too busy chuckling to care. Besides which, it fitted well into the context of the scenes, I think it was far from gratuitous swearing.

Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Doctor-McNinja
Member since 2009 • 1515 Posts
It was an awesome movie! :P I think the bald villain was much worse though; always giving the long 'i'm about to kill you' speech rather than just killing the person already.
sentenced83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 sentenced83
Member since 2005 • 1529 Posts

its one of the one worst movies movies i've ever seen

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

You know, normally I find overusage of swear words in movies distracting, too, but if I was turning into an alien in a society where aliens are discriminated against like animals and had no idea how I was going to change back, if it's even possible, or if I'm ever going to be able to live a normal life with my family again, that is about the right time to say,"****".

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

FOOKING PRAWNS!

Heh heh, it did make me chuckle. :P

ZookGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 ZookGuy
Member since 2008 • 2340 Posts

To all the OT'ers that saw District 9: stop making threads about it.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#50 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
actually I thought it gave a bit more authenticity to his character... some people cuss constantly in situations like those... actually I think a lot of people would cuss in those situations.