Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator  Online
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

It's been lord knows how long since I did this, and DaVillain hasn't made one yet, so I'd figured I'd fill in for the time being. The following is courtesy of Box Office Mojo.com:

1Shazam!$25,140,000$94,913,013
2Little$15,499,000$15,499,000
3Hellboy (2019)$12,015,000$12,015,000
4Pet Sematary (2019)$10,000,000$41,121,660
5Dumbo (2019)$9,186,000$89,945,162
6Captain Marvel$8,626,000$386,536,581
7Us$6,946,000$163,498,425
8After (2019)$6,200,000$6,200,000
9Missing Link$5,841,434$5,841,434
10The Best of Enemies$2,000,000$8,101,570

With only two weeks until Avengers: Endgame opens, it seems that Shazam! is still going to hold on to the top spot, at least for this week anyway. It remains at #1 with an estimated $25.1 mil, bumping it's overall U.S. take to $94 mil. With little in the way of competition next week, I got a feeling it's not going to go anywhere. The body switching comedy Little opened with a $15.4 mil take, and surprising analysts with the number two spot.

But the big story this weekend is that Lionsgate's reboot/prequel/whatever of Hellboy died a brutal death this weekend. Performing below its initially expected estimate of $16-20 million, the movie had to settle for brutal reviews, the number three spot, and a mere $12 million--making this the lowest opening in the series to date. Along with a estimated $50 mil budget, this is probably going to be the final nail in the franchise's coffin.

Next week is a slow weekend, with the horror film The Curse of La Llorona, and Disney's latest nature documentary Penguins being the only major releases.

So, sound off OT: What did YOU watch this weekend...and was it any good?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56221 Posts

Glad I saw this before making it. Thanks Hallenbeck77 :)

Hellboy did worse than Little? That's sad but then again, this was expected and for a good reason. By the way, I didn't know Missing Link was out already! I didn't watching anything this week because I'm in the honey mood for Endgame as it is but in the meantime, go see Shazam.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hallenbeck77  Moderator  Online

@davillain- said:

Glad I saw this before making it. Thanks Hallenbeck77 :)

Hellboy did worse than Little? That's sad but then again, this was expected and for a good reason. By the way, I didn't know Missing Link was out already!

I guess that's what happens when a group of producers get rid of the two main creative forces behind the first two movies, slash the budget, and unnecessarily up the gore and swearing content.

Missing Link looks interesting--might have to give it a look eventually.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, the fake Hellboy made 12mill opening weekend compared to Hellboy with the real one AKA Ron Perlman which made 34mill opening weekend.

Wonder why they didn´t want to make it with Ron especially after his success with Sons.

Also how on earth can Little do better that has to be a massive blow to those actors/actresses who are in Hellkid reboot.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hallenbeck77  Moderator  Online
@Jacanuk said:

Hmm, the fake Hellboy made 12mill opening weekend compared to Hellboy with the real one AKA Ron Perlman which made 34mill opening weekend.

Wonder why they didn´t want to make it with Ron especially after his success with Sons.

Also how on earth can Little do better that has to be a massive blow to those actors/actresses who are in Hellkid reboot.

Yesterday, Variety published an article regarding the possible reasons for the reboot without Ron and Guillermo, and the reason this version bombed.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jacanuk
@hallenbeck77 said:
@Jacanuk said:

Yesterday, Variety published an article regarding the possible reasons for the reboot without Ron and Guillermo, and the reason this version bombed.

Thanks for the link

That was an interesting article and what a shame the backers decided not to build on Toro´s success with Shape of Water and Ron´s with Sons

If they had done it, 99% sure it would have drawn in a lot more money than this poor remake.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hallenbeck77  Moderator  Online
@Jacanuk said:

Thanks for the link

That was an interesting article and what a shame the backers decided not to build on Toro´s success with Shape of Water and Ron´s with Sons

If they had done it, 99% sure it would have drawn in a lot more money than this poor remake.

I guess that's what happens when movie execs can only think of filmmaking in terms of just box office as opposed to taking a chance with the talent, both in front of and behind the camera. But I do get that it's a business. Stinks we'll never get a proper follow-up with Del Toro and Pearlman, but at least we got two solid movies.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacanuk
@hallenbeck77 said:
@Jacanuk said:

Thanks for the link

I guess that's what happens when movie execs can only think of filmmaking in terms of just box office as opposed to taking a chance with the talent, both in front of and behind the camera. But I do get that it's a business. Stinks we'll never get a proper follow-up with Del Toro and Pearlman, but at least we got two solid movies.

Yep, but I have not given up hope completely that Toro and Ron will get to work on the third together, both as mentioned in the article have not said no and Ron have on multiple occasions if I recall said that he would love to finish the series with a third :)

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hallenbeck77  Moderator  Online
@Jacanuk said:

Yep, but I have not given up hope completely that Toro and Ron will get to work on the third together, both as mentioned in the article have not said no and Ron have on multiple occasions if I recall said that he would love to finish the series with a third :)

Maybe one day, hopefully before Pearlman ages out. But I think for the immediate future, the likelihood of a 4th movie are slim-to-none at the moment.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

The saddest part of this week's box office for me is how low Laika studio's latest animation ended up getting. That is pretty much the lowest a Laika film has debuted yet. It's a sad tragedy for what is otherwise a quality animation studio responsible for the likes of Coraline and Kubo and the Two Strings. It's a shame to consider such an animation studio might not last for much longer despite making fantastic animated pieces.

Other than that, the success I still see that I insist everyone go see if they have not seen yet, is Jordan Peele's Us. Jordan Peele has a very bright future ahead of him as a film director and Us is easily one of the most fantastic films I've seen in theaters in a long while. It's a must see and I can't express that enough.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Could see a mile away Hellboy would flop.

It didn't need a reboot, at all. A third movie probably would have performed better.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

@hallenbeck77: @davillain-:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o6Zt2HCTf7xq2Mr60/giphy.gif