Things you miss in this "new" generation?

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
#1 Edited by ProtossRushX (5451 posts) -
  • Going to blockbuster video on a friday to rent a new movie
  • Going to local movie store renting NES/SNES games
  • Going to Toys R Us and looking at all the new Lego's, video games, action figures
  • Popping in a cart/disc and start playing a game immediately no updates/downloads
  • Looking at new computers/TV's at Circuit City
  • Reading gaming magazines at bookstores or in bed getting hyped at advertisements and CD Demo's

Basically none of this stuff should have gone away and none of it is really been replaced by anything

We could still use this stuff IMO

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#2 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

I honestly don't miss anything. Except maybe being a kid; I miss the days where getting good grades was the only pressure in my life, and I was in shape and playing sports.

Well, I do miss proper expansion packs. I know some games do it right still (The Witcher 3, for example), but DLC is a pretty lame substitute for full-blown expansion packs.

Avatar image for sakaixx
#3 Posted by sakaiXx (5719 posts) -

I miss old Japanese dev from ps1 - ps2 days. Back then I buy Square ps1 games cause I trust they can provide such a great experience. FF, chrono cross, xenogears, vagrant story, front mission, parasite eve, brave fencer mushahi and the list goes on and on. Same with some other dev like Capcom or Konami.

Nowadays I had to be picky cause man, the quality can be abysmal. Who the heck at Square enix created Left Alive??

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
#4 Posted by ProtossRushX (5451 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

I honestly don't miss anything. Except maybe being a kid; I miss the days where getting good grades was the only pressure in my life, and I was in shape and playing sports.

Well, I do miss proper expansion packs. I know some games do it right still (The Witcher 3, for example), but DLC is a pretty lame substitute for full-blown expansion packs.

yes remember brood war for starcraft its my favorite expansion pack ever love the new . units

@sakaixx said:

I miss old Japanese dev from ps1 - ps2 days. Back then I buy Square ps1 games cause I trust they can provide such a great experience. FF, chrono cross, xenogears, vagrant story, front mission, parasite eve, brave fencer mushahi and the list goes on and on. Same with some other dev like Capcom or Konami.

Nowadays I had to be picky cause man, the quality can be abysmal. Who the heck at Square enix created Left Alive??

omg i was so obsessed with squaresoft I BOUGHT BUSHIDO blade and I Don't even like fighters. But I saw an advert in a magazine for it and it said squaresoft so i bought it right away. Also I bought ff8 day one. Never been so obsessed for a company than squaresoft, and my FF3 USA(ff6 japan) snes is my most precious game I own.

Avatar image for vaidream45
#5 Posted by Vaidream45 (1968 posts) -

Really the only thing I really miss are fun sports games that aren’t filled with micro transactions. Indie devs are covering my other gaming needs.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#6 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

@vaidream45 said:

Really the only thing I really miss are fun sports games that aren’t filled with micro transactions. Indie devs are covering my other gaming needs.

Amen to that.

2010 has been the decade of the independent game creator, the decade belongs to them. The only segment of the industry that is really keeping me playing games.

Avatar image for ezekiel43
#7 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1616 posts) -

Traditional animation. I'm not watching another CG animated film, unless someone invites me. I've had it!

The lower budgets of older games. Felt there was more creativity and uniqueness among the big publishers before gamers made the budgets so obscene. I barely play any of the games that come out now. Even Devil May Cry 5 had to fall victim to the movie envy bullshit. So many more, longer interruptions than in DMC3.

When Japan had style. I'm just done with modern anime. Almost no exceptions to that.

Avatar image for vaidream45
#8 Posted by Vaidream45 (1968 posts) -

@ezekiel43: indeed. I miss when games got less funding and had to rely on making a game fun instead of blowing millions on making cg movies. Indie devs have really knocked it out of the park this past gen and I’m really happy to see some of them finding lots of success. Funny, my Switch is loaded with indie games and some Nintendo games.

Avatar image for warmblur
#9 Posted by warmblur (2541 posts) -

@ProtossRushX said:
  • Going to blockbuster video on a friday to rent a new movie
  • Going to local movie store renting NES/SNES games
  • Going to Toys R Us and looking at all the new Lego's, video games, action figures
  • Popping in a cart/disc and start playing a game immediately no updates/downloads
  • Looking at new computers/TV's at Circuit City
  • Reading gaming magazines at bookstores or in bed getting hyped at advertisements and CD Demo's

Basically none of this stuff should have gone away and none of it is really been replaced by anything

We could still use this stuff IMO

It's funny I made thread just like this not long ago and you have the some of the same things I mentioned it's good to see I'm not the only one that misses some of these things. here's some of mine.

  • Arcade scene
  • When malls weren't dying I like physical stores
  • PC gaming from 98-2007, PC gaming is great but IMO the golden age for it is gone now
  • When mainstream music was awesome!!!! it died sometime around the late 90's with Britany Spears and the boyband crap and music never recovered also the internet played a part in this any idiot can get a record deal now it doesn't take any talent you just need to go viral rock is dead.
  • The Monday night wars wrestling era 1996-01 it will never be this good again now 90 percent of the wrestlers today are nerds it's embarrassing and cringy as hell glad the rating are tanking.
  • When Social Media and smartphones didn't exist the world was better without them I miss that world
  • I miss the 90's in general not the School part of my life but everything else from it
Avatar image for sonicare
#10 Posted by sonicare (56774 posts) -

Backbones and balls.

Avatar image for heirren
#11 Posted by Heirren (1607 posts) -

@sonicare:

I could name a few lol.....or many! Very true. Technology neutered males.

Avatar image for realistic44
#12 Posted by realistic44 (8245 posts) -

I miss the nostalgia feeling of "blockbuster" the fact that I have to get up, get candy and rent a movie, rather than sitting on my bed and streaming a movie *deemed us as being lazy* No offense.

I miss where we as society wasn't so uptight about what people are saying and doing

I miss where as people weren't as racist and demeaning to each other as they are now, nowadays people care for one other die a while ago.

I actually like a world without too much technology such as smartphones as above poster said;

Aside from the internet (56K was a struggle) I miss everything else from the 90's. (Video games, PC Games, TV Shows + Movies).

Avatar image for heathen75
#13 Posted by HEATHEN75 (730 posts) -

@sonicare said:

Backbones and balls.

As someone that has battled testicular cancer, I find that highly offensive.

Just joshing ya. Losing lefty has only heightened my love of ball jokes. Carry on.

Avatar image for sonicare
#14 Posted by sonicare (56774 posts) -

@heathen75 said:
@sonicare said:

Backbones and balls.

As someone that has battled testicular cancer, I find that highly offensive.

Just joshing ya. Losing lefty has only heightened my love of ball jokes. Carry on.

My brother-in-law beat that cancer as well. Glad to hear you're doing well.

Avatar image for judaspete
#15 Posted by judaspete (2991 posts) -

@ProtossRushX: You know, I'm really surprised no one has tried to crowd-fund a spiritual successor to Bushido Blade.

Avatar image for horgen
#16 Posted by Horgen (120622 posts) -

@sonicare said:
@heathen75 said:
@sonicare said:

Backbones and balls.

As someone that has battled testicular cancer, I find that highly offensive.

Just joshing ya. Losing lefty has only heightened my love of ball jokes. Carry on.

My brother-in-law beat that cancer as well. Glad to hear you're doing well.

By kicking I assume. Otherwise he is aiming low in a literal sense. :P

Avatar image for heathen75
#17 Posted by HEATHEN75 (730 posts) -

@sonicare said:
@heathen75 said:
@sonicare said:

Backbones and balls.

As someone that has battled testicular cancer, I find that highly offensive.

Just joshing ya. Losing lefty has only heightened my love of ball jokes. Carry on.

My brother-in-law beat that cancer as well. Glad to hear you're doing well.

Congrats to your brother in law. Did you give him shit and keep him laughing? One of my friends called me up and played, Half the man I used to be by STP. My friends are a-holes and that's why I like them.

Tell your BIL , welcome to the Hung Solo crew.

Avatar image for AFBrat77
#18 Posted by AFBrat77 (26725 posts) -

I miss buying the big box PC games in the 1990's at Comp USA. I also miss sitting down and reading at Borders bookstore.

Avatar image for ArmoredCore55
#19 Posted by ArmoredCore55 (24302 posts) -

The PS1/PS2, SNES/N64, GameCube, Game Boy/Game Gear, Genesis/Saturn, etc. days. Miss seeing those at places like Family Video.

iPod days. I still have the iPod nano and works good.

90's music

When malls were more popular

Writing letters

Toys R Us

Original Beanie Babies

Arcade Days

etc.

Avatar image for Gaming-Planet
#20 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19966 posts) -

Having a sq

Avatar image for clifford_sexylips
#21 Posted by Clifford_Sexylips (66 posts) -

@ProtossRushX said:
  • Going to blockbuster video on a friday to rent a new movie

I agree with this one, because it will be our family time and I also miss the conversations of people outside especially kids because there are no gadgets at that time.

Avatar image for burntbyhellfire
#22 Posted by burntbyhellfire (268 posts) -

i remember renting old SNES games from a local video store.. and renting final fantasy 3 for weeks on end for SNES as well

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#23 Posted by robert_sparkes (3094 posts) -

I miss local rental stores remember renting a Saturn with sonic jam and Daytona usa.

Avatar image for adingoatemybaby
#24 Edited by ADingoAteMyBaby (63 posts) -

Handwritten letters instead of Facebook messaging and texting. Or you know actually going over to someones house to talk to them or picking up the phone and calling them.

Avatar image for heirren
#25 Posted by Heirren (1607 posts) -

@adingoatemybaby:

I dont know i get this girl calling me countless times from a private number.

Avatar image for adingoatemybaby
#26 Posted by ADingoAteMyBaby (63 posts) -

@heirren said:

@adingoatemybaby:

I dont know i get this girl calling me countless times from a private number.

Ask her for nudes.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#27 Edited by comp_atkins (35747 posts) -
@ProtossRushX said:
  • Going to blockbuster video on a friday to rent a new movie
  • Going to local movie store renting NES/SNES games
  • Going to Toys R Us and looking at all the new Lego's, video games, action figures
  • Popping in a cart/disc and start playing a game immediately no updates/downloads
  • Looking at new computers/TV's at Circuit City
  • Reading gaming magazines at bookstores or in bed getting hyped at advertisements and CD Demo's

Basically none of this stuff should have gone away and none of it is really been replaced by anything

We could still use this stuff IMO

uh. they've ALL been replaced with something, which is why they aren't around anymore.


Avatar image for ezekiel43
#28 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1616 posts) -

I also miss film. It's cheaper to shoot movies digitally, but it's not as pleasing to look at.