The Revenant is such a good movie.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

First time I watched it I thought it was decent. Just picked it up on UHD blu ray and I'm loving it a lot more. Going in with different expectations, anybody else watch it a few more times to get the full feel of it?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

Yes, I watched it twice and hated it so much the second time.

For a plot that can literally be written down on a napkin, I was absolutely appalled by its glaring plot holes.

Like when they tied Leo down to the board with rope after he got mauled by the bear. How come in seconds' time in one frame Leo was tied down but then the next frame when Hardy's character decided to drag him to his grave the rope was magically gone?

Or how about when the Natives go to the French camp looking for the Chief's daughter, they didn't have her but next scene they do? I mean there's the argument they could have been hiding her, but that's fetched considering she could have screamed, and also my eyebrows raise even higher considering the Native's tracking skills good enough to find anyone in the frontier yet not a daughter in the same camp? Does not make any sense.

I loved the cinematography in the Director's previous film, Birdman, but it felt awfully pretentious in The Revenant. Much of the shots didn't seem to have much purpose beyond just trying to be flashy.

Leonardo DiCaprio did not deserve an Oscar for his performance in this film. I guess he made a hell of a good grunt and mumble, and crawl. I guess the Academy Awards were just at the point of "just give him a damn Oscar already, it's what everyone wants" without considering all the other groundbreaking roles he's had prior.

5/10

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44683 Posts

I really liked it, great film.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Yeah, it's an excellent movie, some people feel it was overly long, but I think it was just the right length for the impression the director was intending to make on the viewer.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

I give it a 9/10 and am glad Leo got his Oscar.

Another great film made by mostly liberals.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jaydan

@InEMplease said:

@jaydan: Nobody listens to a man that uses the words "how come" to express his thoughts. Go back to fantasizing about bees, Mr. Smith.

The Revenant was beautifully filmed. Long shots were redefined in this movie, and the camera, if I recall correctly, never left man-height. Truly one of the better things you can experience on screen.

It's cool to take two words out of the context of the rest of my feedback as a form of dismissal, and promptly talk about bees and "Mr. Smith", whoever that is. Are you crazy?

I actually highly enjoyed The Revenant the first time through. Unfortunately it took a second glance to see how flawed it really is. Thanks to what you say, some exceptional cinematography albeit pretentious (It just worked better in Birdman, possibly because it was the portrait of an ego?), and Tom Hardy was a good villain, the rest of the magic completely deteriorated thanks to its flaws.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Great film. Wish there was more like it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@jaydan said:

It's cool to take two words out of the context of the rest of my feedback as a form of dismissal, and promptly talk about bees and "Mr. Smith", whoever that is. Are you crazy?

I actually highly enjoyed The Revenant the first time through. Unfortunately it took a second glance to see how flawed it really is. Thanks to what you say, some exceptional cinematography albeit pretentious (It just worked better in Birdman, possibly because it was the portrait of an ego?), and Tom Hardy was a good villain, the rest of the magic completely deteriorated thanks to its flaws.

Wtf...how could you like ANYTHING about that movie?

Tom Hardy/ lol...Tom Hardy was HORRIBLE. This is the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. Yes, even worse than C.H.U.D.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jaydan

@MrGeezer said:
@jaydan said:

Wtf...how could you like ANYTHING about that movie?

Tom Hardy/ lol...Tom Hardy was HORRIBLE. This is the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. Yes, even worse than C.H.U.D.

Jeez, well thank you. I'm not the only one here that hated the movie. For every movie I hate, there must be one redeemable quality. I was willing to throw the crazy man that talks about bees and makes up names a bone.

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

Was really looking forward to this movie and was so disappointed it actually pissed me off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#13 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I thought it was pretty good, but nowhere near the level it was hyped up to be. I caught the hype though, and went in with much more realistic expectations.

I would put Ex Machina, Mad Max, Hateful Eight, and probably a few foreign films over it though.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I really liked it. I just wish there were subtitles when Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy) spoke and an explanation to how Hugh Glass (Leo) managed to mend his broken foot.

The combat was really brutal and realistic. Much better than most other movies. I'd say it's up there with Saving Private Ryan in its realism.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

It's a movie for psychopaths

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59328 Posts

Yet to see it but I love Tom Hardy, dudes amazing.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By N64DD

@hillelslovak said:

I thought it was pretty good, but nowhere near the level it was hyped up to be. I caught the hype though, and went in with much more realistic expectations.

I would put Ex Machina, Mad Max, Hateful Eight, and probably a few foreign films over it though.

Hateful Eight is so damn good.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

Was there a ..... plot???

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jaydan

@and1salttape said:

Was there a ..... plot???

Of course there was a plot. It was on a napkin.

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

@n64dd: I did a 4 hour round trip just to watch Hateful Eight in 70mm. If I had the time I would have bought a second ticket and gone straight back in to watch it again.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2361 Posts

@n64dd said:

First time I watched it I thought it was decent. Just picked it up on UHD blu ray and I'm loving it a lot more. Going in with different expectations, anybody else watch it a few more times to get the full feel of it?

Me too and I get to watch it in here :).

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N64DD

@THUMPTABLE said:
@n64dd said:

nice setup!

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2361 Posts

@n64dd said:
@THUMPTABLE said:
@n64dd said:

nice setup!

Cheers!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#25  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I have extremely mixed feelings about it. On one hand, the movie is a technical marvel. Everything from the cinematography, the lighting, the execution of scenes is just perfect. On the other, the plot is incredibly slim and the slow pace makes it difficult for me to watch. It feels like a movie more hyped by the process of making the film opposed to it being a really great film. Challenging? Absolutely. Perfectly executed? You could argue so. But the themes and story are so simplistic and shallow that there's not much for me to chew on in it. I saw it twice in theaters and honestly the second time felt a bit like a chore because there's really not much to think about or dig in to with the themes, characters, or plot.

Also in regards to Leo's Oscar, I think that got extremely overblown. Yes, he did a lot of really difficult shit for the movie. But you know who else did a lot of really difficult shit for their movie? Everyone involved in Mad Max Fury Road. I read the movie was something like 85%- 90% practical, so they actually did most of the crazy stunts in the film. That movie had to be hell to shoot as well, but people know it for its merits as a great action film, as opposed to the Revenant, which is mostly known for how difficult it was to make.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#26 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I liked it, though I had a hard time understanding a lot of the dialogue

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#27 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

@jaydan said:

Yes, I watched it twice and hated it so much the second time.

For a plot that can literally be written down on a napkin, I was absolutely appalled by its glaring plot holes.

Like when they tied Leo down to the board with rope after he got mauled by the bear. How come in seconds' time in one frame Leo was tied down but then the next frame when Hardy's character decided to drag him to his grave the rope was magically gone?

Or how about when the Natives go to the French camp looking for the Chief's daughter, they didn't have her but next scene they do? I mean there's the argument they could have been hiding her, but that's fetched considering she could have screamed, and also my eyebrows raise even higher considering the Native's tracking skills good enough to find anyone in the frontier yet not a daughter in the same camp? Does not make any sense.

I loved the cinematography in the Director's previous film, Birdman, but it felt awfully pretentious in The Revenant. Much of the shots didn't seem to have much purpose beyond just trying to be flashy.

Leonardo DiCaprio did not deserve an Oscar for his performance in this film. I guess he made a hell of a good grunt and mumble, and crawl. I guess the Academy Awards were just at the point of "just give him a damn Oscar already, it's what everyone wants" without considering all the other groundbreaking roles he's had prior.

5/10

I didn't like it at all. We turned it off in fact. Found it extremely boring and overly melodramatic and plain stupid. I can understand people liking it who've never actually lived in the outdoors. Doing what he did you'd be dead in the first 5 min of the movie and he's supposed to be an experienced tracker.

Walking in freezing water at the start of the movie. Sure if you want frostbite and lose your feet.

Oh hey, lets leave the almost dead guy Dicaprio with the dude (Hardy) who was saying finish him off. You can trust him really what could go wrong !

How about barely escaping indians & jumping into a freezing river going downstream... then making a fire right beside the river where he came out. I guess the indians wouldn't be smart enough to like... walk down the river it only goes one fucking way.

I turned it off about half way through.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Tom Hardy was the best bad guy I have seen in years. I was legit angry at him for leaving Leo like that. I have never hated a guy like that in my life.

THAT is a great heel on screen. Not terrible guys like Joker or a Bond Villian who you want to cheer for.

We are supposed to root for the good guys, not the bad guys.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N64DD

@stuff238 said:

Tom Hardy was the best bad guy I have seen in years. I was legit angry at him for leaving Leo like that. I have never hated a guy like that in my life.

THAT is a great heel on screen. Not terrible guys like Joker or a Bond Villian who you want to cheer for.

We are supposed to root for the good guys, not the bad guys.

I agree with you on some fronts. It worked well for Old Country in Old Men though. You were cheering for the villain.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@jaydan: Worst review of the Revenant I've read.

Johnny_Hydro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Johnny_Hydro
Member since 2016 • 12 Posts

Film was not a top 10 film for me, but overall it was a VERY good film. I thought the main actors did a phenomenal job. Most of the things that bother me are very opinionated: such as Glass's grunting through the first portion of the movie. It was irritating but he did very well in portraying the situation accurately. I do need to say though... that bear didn't give a DAMN! At one point I leaned forward and said "STOP! Already!".

Thing to know about film, everyone should watch it to form there own opinion.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

The film was a technical marvel but the plot has a depth meant for a 10 year old. Classical example of form over content. I usually prefer content but the form of this movie is almost flawless so I gave it a 7/10.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 N64DD

@tubemate321 said:

I find it is not worth watching, I like Korean movies

1 post, new account, 4/10 trolling, good effort.