The Official Spider-Man 3 Discussion Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I was debating whether or not to make this thread since we have a roll-call up with a similar theme, but face it, roll call threads can't really serve dual purpose as official discussion threads.  So, this thread's dedicated to Spidey 3.

I saw it last night, and my feelings about the movie are kinda mixed.  I honestly believe they rushed the film, as character development was all that good.  For the most part, I loved the way they did Sandman, but I didn't really like how he flew around like a sandstorm (not sure if he could do that in the comics).  My main complaint is that they [spoiler] killed off Venom.  I know Dr. Connors still has a bit of the symbiote, so that leaves a door open for Carnage, but Eddie Brock got vaporized with the rest of the suit.  Since Eddie Brock is Venom, that means he simply will not be coming back. [/spoiler]   I also think they botched the casting on Eddie Brock.  Thomas Hayden Church should have been Brock, as Brock is really a huge guy, although Church did a great job as Sandman, I think.

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
Well they might somehow bring Brock back. u never know. it is a movie :)
-hotaru-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -hotaru-
Member since 2007 • 1380 Posts
Rushed for a movie that was 3 years in the making? I suppose so, but I don't think anyone wanted to wait any longer. I liked it, but it definately didn't live up to the hype. Action sequences were good, but the singing and dancing was pretty bad.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JustPlainLucas

Rushed for a movie that was 3 years in the making? I suppose so, but I don't think anyone wanted to wait any longer. I liked it, but it definately didn't live up to the hype. Action sequences were good, but the singing and dancing was pretty bad.-hotaru-

Most of that time was probalby post-production.  But what I really mean by rushed is they crammed too much into the film in too little time.  It needed to be at least three hours to properly tell everything and even that was pushing it.

nobodyshero87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nobodyshero87
Member since 2006 • 22210 Posts

I am wondering how good was this Spiderman movie compared to the other ones...

Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts

To tell the truth Topher's Venom reminded me more of how Carnage would act. Like the "My spidey sense is tingling" thing. I don't know if Venom was like that in the comic book, but since Carnage was insane BEFORE the symbiote I know that's the kinda thing he'd say...

Edit: [spoiler]  And c'mon na, first rule of comics, unless you see a dead body, nothing is certain(and even dead bodies don't stay dead all the time) There was still a bit of the symbiote burning, it for some reason didn't get vaporirzed. So, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Venom. Besides, he's too damn cool to not see again. BTW, was anyone else disappointed that Venom didn't have that long licking tongue?  [/spoiler]

karlgauci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 karlgauci
Member since 2005 • 5504 Posts
This needed to be done, there were a billion threads out there these past few days
nobodyshero87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nobodyshero87
Member since 2006 • 22210 Posts
i do not plan on seeing this crap.geodisicdome
how is this movie crap?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I used to agree on the point of Eddie but then I found out that Topher was playing Eddie Brock Jr. from the Ultimate universe. It is a different continuity... which I think the movies were based off of. Even still, Brock Jr. still becomes as big as Brock Sr. as venom but is still a scrawny guy...

I am going to see the movie either tonight or tomorrow. I do not care if I am disappointed or not. It's Spidey action and I will still have my 5 seasons of the 90's animated series to fall back on. >_>

And I believe you were correct in assuming that a stickey was required.
beldugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 beldugo
Member since 2003 • 2374 Posts

spider man 3 is still the best action heroe movie out there.

there was some wrong things like sandmans lip or green goblins butler (he came out of nowhere) but the story and action sequence are top notch. if you think about it the dancing and singing part where in part 2 also, this one was just longer scene.. does scene made it feel like a 1970 comic book and spider man is older than that.

people are just mad that the movie don't follow comic book scene by scene.. who would pay 9.50 to watch a scene by scene thing if you alreadyd know exactly what will happen and the diologue.

only problem with me against spider man is that venon should have had some more air time. 

lzorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lzorro
Member since 2006 • 7395 Posts
It was a bad movie; it was trying to be sad, funny, romantic, suspenseful, exciting...and really only accomplished being bad >_>
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

if u havent seen the movie, please dont read this post. BECAUSE they whole movie will probably get spoiled for u

id like to start by saying that sm3 was a good movie (or at least i thought it was) but it was probably the worst of the 3

:SPOILERS: (sry i dont know how to do that spoilers thing)

1) for one thing, the movie had WAY to much corny/dumb comedy in it. the comedy didnt mix AT ALL with the scenes that tried to give the movie a dark or sad atmosphere 

2) Who rly gives a crap about sandman? and why did he have WAY more screentime then venom?

3) WHY DOES VENOM DIE!!!!!!!!!!! i figured that he would only be in it for about 20 minutes or so, but y did he die? i thought he would get his ass kicked and then go hide somewhere, and then reappear in sm4. but no eddie brock + the symbiote are DEAD. no continues. this wouldnt have been a problem if venom was a minor spider man character, but he wasnt. venom was in spider man A LOT (wasnt he an arch enemy or something?)

4) too damn long

5) Johnny Cash peter WAS funny, but didnt fit in at all

6) every part that was supposed to make u sad, made the audience laugh. like when mj dumps peter or when peter cries when  harry dies, everyone was loling 

i couldnt think of any more issues, so u guys can try to think of some ureselves 

AquaMantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 AquaMantor
Member since 2004 • 7571 Posts

i do not plan on seeing this crap.geodisicdome

Oh, please. :roll:

It may very well be crap, but you have no idea until you see it. Don't go to see it if you don't want to, that's fine, but you won't know whether you'll like it or not until you actually do see it. Maybe you want to have an opinion on it, but you don't have a right to that opinion until you see it yourself. No matter how many of your friends go see the movie and come back telling you that it sucks, no matter how many critics give it negative reviews, you still won't have a right to that opinion. 

GIJesse77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 GIJesse77
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts

movie= okay

game= better 

P-r-e-y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 P-r-e-y
Member since 2007 • 124 Posts
WELL I WAS REALLY PISSED OFF AT HOW RAIMI KILLED OFF EDDIE, I UNDERSTAND KILLING THE SIMBIOTE CUZ EVEN THEN WE WOULD HAVE A SMALL HOPE ON VENOM RETURNING. I AM A REALLY BIG FAN OF VENOM AND I KNOW THAT HE IS SPIDER MAN'S GREATEST RIVAL, SO IT CANT FIT IN MY HEAD HOW STUPID THWE DIRECTOR WAS AS TO KILL HIM OFF LIKE NOTHING. EXCUSE ME IF I CAME A LITTLE STRONG BUT IM REALLY DISAPPOINTED AND ANGRY BECAUSE I THINK TOPHER DID A GOOD JOB AS EDDIE AND HE DESERVED A BIGGER PART OF THE MOVIE. I DONT KNOW HOW THEYRE GONA DO IT IN THE 4TH PART BUT THEY BETTER RESURECT VENOM OUT OF SOMEWHERE. THE BEST CHANCE THAT VENOM FANS HAVE AT SEEING HIM AGAIN IS IF LUCKILY BONDED REALLY FAST WITH THE SIMBIOTE AND SOMEHOW IS LIVING UNDERGROUND RECOVERING.chuy_1991
Did you not remember the part of venom that the Professor had at the school? yes venom will return and I'm pretty sure Eddie Brock will to, heres my idea, when Eddie diied at the end where was his body? he probably became Venom.
krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 krystians
Member since 2004 • 3577 Posts
Well they might somehow bring Brock back. u never know. it is a movie :)MichaeltheCM
I love DOD Source too :D
cheetah_TM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cheetah_TM
Member since 2003 • 7053 Posts
I was little disappointed..they tried to do too much at once, which resulted in bad pacing. The villains were also poorly devloped. It was good movie none the less, but still nowhere as excellent as Spiderman 2 was.
irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 irmeleeman5995
Member since 2005 • 2484 Posts
I thought the movie was fantastic. Read my blog for all the details, but in short, I have no idea why everyone didn't like it. To be completely honest, I've heard more negative than positive about it--from critics and fans. I think they're on crack. If there's a super hero to hate, it's Superman, right?
cheetah_TM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cheetah_TM
Member since 2003 • 7053 Posts

if u havent seen the movie, please dont read this post. BECAUSE they whole movie will probably get spoiled for u

id like to start by saying that sm3 was a good movie (or at least i thought it was) but it was probably the worst of the 3

1) for one thing, the movie had WAY to much corny/dumb comedy in it. the comedy didnt mix AT ALL with the scenes that tried to give the movie a dark or sad atmosphere

2) Who rly gives a crap about sandman? and why did he have WAY more screentime then venom?

3) WHY DOES VENOM DIE!!!!!!!!!!! i figured that he would only be in it for about 20 minutes or so, but y did he die? i thought he would get his ass kicked and then go hide somewhere, and then reappear in sm4. but no eddie brock + the symbiote are DEAD. no continues. this wouldnt have been a problem if venom was a minor spider man character, but he wasnt. venom was in spider man A LOT (wasnt he an arch enemy or something?)

4) too damn long

6) every part that was supposed to make u sad, made the audience laugh. like when mj dumps peter or when peter cries when harry dies, everyone was loling

i couldnt think of any more issues, so u guys can try to think of some ureselves

REforever101

That was so true. 

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 REforever101
[QUOTE="REforever101"]

if u havent seen the movie, please dont read this post. BECAUSE they whole movie will probably get spoiled for u

4) too damn long

6) every part that was supposed to make u sad, made the audience laugh. like when mj dumps peter or when peter cries when harry dies, everyone was loling

cheetah_TM

That was so true.

i heard that this happened in every theatre that the movie was shown in 

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

I have a question for anyone who has seen all three films:

Judging by some of the revews I've seen so far (both professional and regular moviegoer) this film might not be the best one in the trilogy, but it is STILL pretty good. Taking the third one into consideration, what do you think of the series as a whole?  I haven't seen 3 yet, but I don't wan't to be disapointed with it like I was with X-Men: The Last Stand.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JustPlainLucas

I used to agree on the point of Eddie but then I found out that Topher was playing Eddie Brock Jr. from the Ultimate universe. It is a different continuity... which I think the movies were based off of. Even still, Brock Jr. still becomes as big as Brock Sr. as venom but is still a scrawny guy...

I am going to see the movie either tonight or tomorrow. I do not care if I am disappointed or not. It's Spidey action and I will still have my 5 seasons of the 90's animated series to fall back on. >_>

And I believe you were correct in assuming that a stickey was required.foxhound_fox

Ahh, that makes perfect sense then.  You see, I haven't followed comics in some time, and I know nothing of the Ultimate Universe.  I was really upset at the "liberties" they took in the first movie, until I found out it was based on that entirely new Ultimate Universe.

Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts

every part that was supposed to make u sad, made the audience laugh. like when mj dumps peter or when peter cries when harry dies, everyone was loling

That's cuz Tobey Maguire looks hilarious when he's crying. :lol:

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 REforever101

every part that was supposed to make u sad, made the audience laugh. like when mj dumps peter or when peter cries when harry dies, everyone was loling

That's cuz Tobey Maguire looks hilarious when he's crying. :lol:

Eman5805

yea, but hilarity wasnt the point of those scenes

F4vRe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 F4vRe
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts
I was VERY disappointed with this movie.. Spider-man 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time and I had high expectations for this one. Any part with MJ singing sucked, everyone cryed too much, Venom cracks jokes instead of fighting WTF? worst possible actor playing venom, dance scene was totally not needed.. but it did have Bruce Campbell!
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts
I really liked Sandman's character he wasnt really evil
nintendo_ds_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nintendo_ds_06
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts
i think the movie was good, but definatly didn't live up to the hype.
Avatar image for Diesel_Cappuccino
Diesel_Cappuccino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Diesel_Cappuccino
Member since 2002 • 3543 Posts
I think my feelings are pretty much shared with everyone. The movie was good, but it was not as good as expected, nor was it the best in the series. I did enjoy the fight scenes, but the story just wasn't up to par with the second one. The second film, I thought, did a great job of making you feel sorry for Spiderman, and well portrayed the hardships of him as a superhero.
postulio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 postulio14
Member since 2007 • 729 Posts
Disappointed with lack of Venom screentime, and Venom not being as awesome as usual. Comedy didn't work out. Serious parts didn't work out. Still a good movie. I'd give it a B-.
postulio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 postulio14
Member since 2007 • 729 Posts
[QUOTE="REforever101"]

4) too damn long

cheetah_TM

That was so true.

Yeah, in my theater everyone laughed there, including me.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

I thought the movie was fantastic. Read my blog for all the details, but in short, I have no idea why everyone didn't like it. To be completely honest, I've heard more negative than positive about it--from critics and fans. I think they're on crack. If there's a super hero to hate, it's Superman, right?irmeleeman5995

You honestly have NO idea why people aren't liking it?  Are you that jaded?  The icing on the cake for me disliking this movie was when Peter Parker realised he was "evil" he parted his hair to the side just to show us how emo he was, and to top it off they actually put black eyeliner on him.  I couldn't tell if this was Spider-Man or a 30 Seconds To Mars video.

Awful pacing, TERRIBLE character development, and New York is way to big a city for people to keep bumping into one another.  Brock and Spidey at the same church during a massive plot development for no reason?  Please!  This movie is a notch above Daredevil. 

Avatar image for IsNotInterestes
IsNotInterestes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IsNotInterestes
Member since 2007 • 1836 Posts
The movie was trash. It had unintentional humor, though.
skarfreaky35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 skarfreaky35
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts
Damn you guys are stomping down hard on this movie. Yes, many people laughed during sad moments but who cant laugh at peter's ass-face? But come on, the movie was really fun. Hopefully in spiderman 4 they'll find some way to bring venom back.And not all of the symbiote is dead...how bout the sample at doctor connor's?
Avatar image for Chloroformality
Chloroformality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chloroformality
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts

The movie wasn't that bad. If anything, it's mediocre. The thing that keeps is from being completely horrible is the decent CG they had in certain areas (namely the scenes with Sandman).

I think they should have left Venom out until the next film. We had, what, three villains in this film? For a film that run around two-and-a-half hours long, that's too many.

Most people wanted to see venom, and they did... but, to me, he seemed more like a visual crutch. Everyone was excited to see him, but I'd rather know more about him. I don't want backstory to be sacreficed just so we can see our favorite villain.

I don't follow the comics, so, I don't know a lot about Venom's backstory... which is why they should have put it in there. I'm guessing they assumed everyone already knew who he was, but that's not why the previous films did so well. It explained things to people, so anyone who doesn't know anything about Spider Man can enjoy them.

Now people are going to be like, "What the hell is this black thing?"

I DID, however, love the intro to Sandman. I thought it was brilliant. The cinematography and particle usage in the CG was outstanding and almost braught me to tears. They did a fantastic job on that one part.

...that's about it, though.

RiderGino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RiderGino
Member since 2005 • 657 Posts
[QUOTE="cheetah_TM"][QUOTE="REforever101"]

4) too damn long

REforever101

That was so true.

yeah it pretty much did
Samerzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Samerzz
Member since 2007 • 458 Posts

way way way too much dramma. some really stupid plots also.

7/10 for me. 

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 krystians
Member since 2004 • 3577 Posts
[QUOTE="cheetah_TM"][QUOTE="REforever101"]

4) too damn long

REforever101

That was so true.

How true indeed. That movie was so horrible if i was an @$$ I would demand a refund. That movie made too many people laugh, when they were not supposed to laugh. PLEASE DO NOT SEE THIS MOIVE! HORRIBLE!
Avatar image for reservoir_doggy
reservoir_doggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 reservoir_doggy
Member since 2006 • 4054 Posts
No one laughed at the sad parts in my theatre. I did however think Peter putting his hair to the side to look emo was dumb. More and better fight scenes than the other movies though. The story wasn't so great but the 2 vs 2 was bad ass
Merovingin33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Merovingin33
Member since 2004 • 3877 Posts

I was debating whether or not to make this thread since we have a roll-call up with a similar theme, but face it, roll call threads can't really serve dual purpose as official discussion threads. So, this thread's dedicated to Spidey 3.

I saw it last night, and my feelings about the movie are kinda mixed. I honestly believe they rushed the film, as character development was all that good. For the most part, I loved the way they did Sandman, but I didn't really like how he flew around like a sandstorm (not sure if he could do that in the comics). My main complaint is that they [spoiler] killed off Venom. I know Dr. Connors still has a bit of the symbiote, so that leaves a door open for Carnage, but Eddie Brock got vaporized with the rest of the suit. Since Eddie Brock is Venom, that means he simply will not be coming back. [/spoiler] I also think they botched the casting on Eddie Brock. Thomas Hayden Church should have been Brock, as Brock is really a huge guy, although Church did a great job as Sandman, I think.

JustPlainLucas

no he wasn't. in the comics he was tall and such but he wasn't a big guy. only later while brooding somewere with madness and hate did he start to buff up and take steriods trying to be better then parker better and stronger then spider man.

freeze893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 freeze893
Member since 2004 • 1382 Posts

The action sequences where really cool, but my favorite of the spiderman franchise is still the first one.  

SpiritEmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SpiritEmu
Member since 2006 • 3370 Posts
They ruined Venom.... :cry:
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#45 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts

whatever the faults the movie had...

[spoiler] Harry has a really, really cool green katana thing.  i wish he used that more often. [/spoiler]  

MM555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MM555
Member since 2006 • 1539 Posts

Somehow they will bring back venom for the next movie.  And lizard possibly.  Just wondering, is carnage the same as venom? I don't really read alot of the comics and I have heard about carnage but he looks like venom...

l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 l_The_DetoX_l
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

I have a question for anyone who has seen all three films:

Judging by some of the revews I've seen so far (both professional and regular moviegoer) this film might not be the best one in the trilogy, but it is STILL pretty good. Taking the third one into consideration, what do you think of the series as a whole? I haven't seen 3 yet, but I don't wan't to be disapointed with it like I was with X-Men: The Last Stand.

Hallenbeck77

Trust me, it was wayyy better than The Last Stand. It's just that people had really high hopes. All the trailers really stressed the symbiote and Venom, But the movie was hardly about them. I saw the movie expecting something that I didn't get enough of. 

Avatar image for gorilazandgames
gorilazandgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gorilazandgames
Member since 2006 • 7937 Posts
7/10 for the emo scene... taht 7 only counts for sandmans awesome introduction and particle effects**which BETTER be making htier way into next gen games!!!**
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JustPlainLucas

Somehow they will bring back venom for the next movie.  And lizard possibly.  Just wondering, is carnage the same as venom? I don't really read alot of the comics and I have heard about carnage but he looks like venom...

MM555

Carnage is a spawn of Venom.  Venom's symbiote suit produced a seed that attached itself to Cletus Kasady, a very violent lunatic who escaped from an insane asyllum.  Carnage is way more crazy than Venom, and even though he's weaker, he's much deadlier.  Now, I'm sure they'll introduce Lizard really soon, but people just need to come to grips that Venom is dead.  If the symbiote is returning at all, it'll be in the form of Carnage.

l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 l_The_DetoX_l
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts
[QUOTE="MM555"]

Somehow they will bring back venom for the next movie. And lizard possibly. Just wondering, is carnage the same as venom? I don't really read alot of the comics and I have heard about carnage but he looks like venom...

JustPlainLucas

Carnage is a spawn of Venom. Venom's symbiote suit produced a seed that attached itself to Cletus Kasady, a very violent lunatic who escaped from an insane asyllum. Carnage is way more crazy than Venom, and even though he's weaker, he's much deadlier. Now, I'm sure they'll introduce Lizard really soon, but people just need to come to grips that Venom is dead. If the symbiote is returning at all, it'll be in the form of Carnage.

Well as of right now it is ment for people to assume that Venom is dead. But the way in which he died still leaves room for the possibility that he escaped. A movie with venom but not carnage is understandable, but a movie with carnage without Venom? That would be horrible.