The fundamental nature of Sexism in Society

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Uncle_Uzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Uncle_Uzi
Member since 2007 • 1371 Posts

Where does it come from?Why is it purported today?How does it shape society?

Sexism.

The fundamental belief that Man is superior to woman. Male is greater than female. The dudes get to shoot guns and drive cars, while *****es must clean the dishes and maintain the household.

CONVERSELY

The core assumption that woman is more intelligent than man, that girls are cleaner and more civil than their boy counterparts. The feminine instict is simply better than the masculine.

We've heard it all before.

But is there any truth to it all? Are there actually distinct differences between male and female, and is one inherently more capable than the other? Certainly. It's why the men fight wars... we're stronger. Its also why women usually take on the mother role in parenthood... they have boobs. So, it doesn't take a big jump in logic to assume that's the way it's just supposed to be.

Feminism is arguably a radical departure from our physiological hardwiring. It may represent the mental ability to overcome limiting positions in social interaction. It may also be a psychological condition where testosterone levels are out of sync, manifesting itself as masculine behaviors and dispositions. But it certainly doesn't help in any logical analysis of sexism.

Who knows?

So what do you think? How does society purport sexist ideals, and is it acceptable under any circumstances?

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
Did you use the "b" word in your opening post...about sexism? I can't even read beyond that sentence until I know for sure.
Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

In a hunter-gatherer society, I think the differences in our biology make sense for women to be domestic, and for men to be "warriors", if you will.

That's not how we live, though, and people should choose how they want to live. If I want to be a stay-at-home mom, that's my own choice. If I want to run a corporation, there's nothing in my biology that says I can't.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
"it's why men fight wars...we're stronger" Right, so what of weak men? I've certainly seen buff women at the gym.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

men shoot guns becuase their instincts are teritorial/authority. women are similarly programmed with maternal instincts etc. Its nothing to do with sexism,young boys don't play with dolls, not becuase they aren't allowed, but rather becuese that is not what they are designed to do.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
wait, a second why is sexism only against women? TC your OP is majorly sexist against men.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#7 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Did you use the "b" word in your opening post...about sexism? I can't even read beyond that sentence until I know for sure.clayron
Yeah, I'm in the same boat...I saw that and skipped to the end. Basically, people like grouping things...And the easiest grouping to make is by gender. So once grouped it is easy to make broad assumptions based on the grouping.
NColdhardt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 NColdhardt
Member since 2010 • 713 Posts

There are some sexist stereotypes that are actually accurate. It's not sexist to say something that is generally true.

Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Harkat95
Member since 2009 • 1139 Posts

"it's why men fight wars...we're stronger" Right, so what of weak men? I've certainly seen buff women at the gym.chrisrooR
Dude, read up before posting. Men inherently have more potential to be physically strong than women. This does not mean all men all stronger (EDIT: LOL, at first I wrote "stranger") than all women, it means that if a man and a woman do the exact same amount of exercise for a year, the man will be in better shape than the woman. However, I think there is FAR more sexism in society than necessary. Boys "have to" ask girls out and not vice versa, females in the military is still a bit weird, and so on.

Niner0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Niner0
Member since 2005 • 1630 Posts

Well, since mankind has proven, over and over again, that he doesn't give a **** about what nature intended for her, why would this be any different? I'm all for equal rights, as long as they make sense.

For example, when it comes to jobs, of course a man is better suited as a firefighter or a soldier than a woman, because of the fact that us men have a higher percentage of muscle mass. Therefore, I see no need to use quota system for jobs requiring strength and endurance.

As for feminists, well, I dislike them, not because they fight for equal rights, because that when I hear the word feminist, I think of a middle-aged lesbian wanting to have all of the benefits of being a man, but still keep all of the benefits of being a woman. I'm well aware that these nightmarish creatures are a puny minority, but well, that's what comes to mind. However, I'm still for equal rights. Just not feminists... I'm weird.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

There are some sexist stereotypes that are actually accurate. It's not sexist to say something that is generally true.

NColdhardt
Uh, yes it is. Stereotypes are sexist/racist/*other*ist
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

i blame the liberal media.

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

Boys "have to" ask girls out and not vice versa Harkat95

I can't speak for the entire population, but I was not raised to think that way, and none of my friends were either.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

[QUOTE="Harkat95"]Boys "have to" ask girls out and not vice versa Enid_Green

I can't speak for the entire population, but I was not raised to think that way, and none of my friends were either.

well its still controversial for women to propose

ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ColonelWilks
Member since 2005 • 3149 Posts

To the "anything you can do, I can do better" crowd: there's a reason only men are wanted for Selected Service. There are some biological truths that feminism can't escape.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
It's not sexist if they chose to be that way only if they're forced to or it is somehow socially expected of them ( i don't mean it just being weird, more like greeting your boss with "**** you"). However it seems that those who call themselves feminists now are pushing 'positive' discrimination and such, they're still pushing for women's rights but they no longer have anything substantial to fight against so most of the time they're jumping at ghosts and making iditic claims.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

I believe there are roles that men are generally better at, and there are roles that women are generally better at, and there are roles that neither sex is generally better at.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#19 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
Sexism arises from ignorance. Females are very different from males, and males are afraid to truly see the differences and capabilities.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I'm sorry, is this a question? Go look at history, man. You'll get your answer for sure.
Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

It is just human nature... Pre-History times, women bore children... Men supported the women and "their" (as in the man's) offspring the women bore.

Psychologically humans think that way... Women are psychologically attracted to older and more fit to support them men... Men are psychologically attracted to younger women capable of bearing children...

This evolved farther with religion where it deemed the responsibility of good followers of that particular religion to follow their gender role, women were expected to reside at home and tend to children, men were expected to go out and support the family...

It just evolved that way to where it these things became social norms and only just recently have these norms been challenged...

NColdhardt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NColdhardt
Member since 2010 • 713 Posts
[QUOTE="NColdhardt"]

spazzx625
Uh, yes it is. Stereotypes are sexist/racist/*other*ist

Not necessarily. Let's take: "Girls eat less than guys." as an example. Is that a sexist stereotype? Women, on average, use 2500 calories a day. Men use 3500. Logically, men have to consume more food than women to maintain their weight. It's an educated guess :P
Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

Where does it come from?Why is it purported today?How does it shape society?

Sexism.

The fundamental belief that Man is superior to woman. Male is greater than female. The dudes get to shoot guns and drive cars, while *****es must clean the dishes and maintain the household.

Uncle_Uzi

What the hell? That's not what sexism is.

ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts

My opinion of women in general doesn't matter to women but women are sending huge ripples through society and I think finally society is looking for who is throwing rocks into the pond. If women like bad boys then guess what is going to happen?

I wonder if women liked men in purple tights would men wear purple tights?

maryal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 maryal
Member since 2004 • 193 Posts

My opinion of women in general doesn't matter to women but women are sending huge ripples through society and I think finally society is looking for who is throwing rocks into the pond. If women like bad boys then guess what is going to happen?

I wonder if women liked men in purple tights would men wear purple tights?

ehhwhatever

At first I thought the post said nipples .... but then I read it again and realized the word was ripples. LOL! Kinda made more sense the first way. :oops: