Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#1 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Very brave, not allowing replies. I’d like to thank you for the diatribe because it’s motivated me to purchase all her books again. 👍

Never ceases to amuse me how a marginalized group now accepted goes out of their way to cancel anyone who disagrees with them.

Reality is not everyone agrees with your lifestyle and they never will. You can delete an opinion but you’ll never cancel the idea.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

Always feels like a slap in the face when they don't allow replies. But I get it; more than half the responses would be pissy little twerps saying something negative, some would even be downright bigoted.

I'm not really sure what the point of the article was, either.

I think Gamespot is going to start covering the Harry Potter game a lot more in the future so they let this person write an article about trans rights so they could be like "No we totally support trans people!" followed by "Oh here's a bunch of a ads and coverage that indirectly lines the pockets of JK Rowling, a known bigot, who takes a larger-than-normal cut from her brand because she negotiated it a long time ago and is now a billionaire".

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

….and that’s why they don’t want comments.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44307 Posts

@SOedipus: Bingo.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Thanks to this article that really hurt my feelings I bought 275 copies of each HP book. Thanks Obama!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Archangel3371 said:

Nah, it's a business move.

It's Disney putting gay characters in their films but also donating to homophobic political campaigns.

Except here it's Gamespot collecting ad revenue from a product that will line the pockets of a bigot while paying lip service to civil rights.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44307 Posts

@mrbojangles25: What? My comment was simply about why they locked off the comment section. Not really about the actual article itself.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

What really gets me is this:

“The objective is not to provide you with an answer about how to feel, but to give you the tools needed to consider the questions yourself”.

Well gee thanks GS, is this to suggest that I don’t have the tools needed to consider the question myself, or that I am incapable of attaining them if I so desired? The entire subtext and insinuation of these articles is condescending, patronizing, and insulting. As if we’re all too stupid, lazy, and ignorant to let such a grievous injustice pass us by.

But fear not, the Gamespot crusaders are here to right our moral misdirections!

I don’t need articles informing me or “giving me the tools” necessary as a consumer, when I purchase something it is my responsibility to take initiative and exercise my rights in accordance to MY moral compass and beliefs. Does it ever occur to these people that not everyone is obliged to take offense or feel aggrieved at these issues that they do? What makes their position so righteous above others? I’ve also read J.K. Rowling’s response to the accusations of transphobia, and while I don’t necessarily agree with her on everything she says, she is far, FAR from the unconscionable bigot she has been painted as.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

@mrbojangles25: What? My comment was simply about why they locked off the comment section. Not really about the actual article itself.

Yeah, poster #3 wasn't very nice.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@Skarwolf: "I’d like to thank you for the diatribe because it’s motivated me to purchase all her books again"

It's weird to me how people see perceived bigotry and go commit to giving the source of said bigotry a decent amount of their money.

On a separate note, what article are you even talking about? Was it on gamespot or some other random website?

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8302 Posts

Transwomen are not real woman. A grown man is literally destroying the woman's college swim records in the USA as we speak lol, people have lost it. Never liked Harry Potter it's stupid and corny.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15946 Posts

Regarding this since we can't comment on the post Gamespot should create a downvote button as replacement for us to still able to voice our opinion on the matter. You dislike the article, dislike button. You like it, upvote. No drama.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrbojangles25

@SOedipus said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Yeah, poster #3 wasn't very nice.

Yeah my bad, misunderstanding on my part. Post #3 looks like it was deleted, but at least we got @sargentd to tell us what a real woman is, right? 🤔

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

It is sad to see this kind of shit on Gamespot. Regardless of Rowling's views on trans or whatever, it has nothing to do with the game. Stop bringing political woke SJW bullshit into games journalism. I find the fact that the article exists more offensive than anything. Gamespot should be embarrassed and ashamed for publishing that trash.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts

How to get that ad revenue without the backlash of angry people. We've known for years that GameSpot are cowards, nothing new. They do this all the time.

About the article itself, transgender people should really get over what J.K Rowling thinks already. People are allowed to think whatever they want. Grow up and deal with it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

@Litchie said:

About the article itself, transgender people should really get over what J.K Rowling thinks already. People are allowed to think whatever they want. Grow up and deal with it.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Always feels like a slap in the face when they don't allow replies. But I get it; more than half the responses would be pissy little twerps saying something negative, some would even be downright bigoted.

I'm not really sure what the point of the article was, either.

I think Gamespot is going to start covering the Harry Potter game a lot more in the future so they let this person write an article about trans rights so they could be like "No we totally support trans people!" followed by "Oh here's a bunch of a ads and coverage that indirectly lines the pockets of JK Rowling, a known bigot, who takes a larger-than-normal cut from her brand because she negotiated it a long time ago and is now a billionaire".

How is Rowling a bigot?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Unfortunately you guys are evil and can't be kept in check.

It's up to these hip young liberal fellows to dictate that behave yourself otherwise might create Trump 2: Judgment day

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@eoten said:

How is Rowling a bigot?

Her opinion doesn't fall in line with what a certain group believes. That's why! She's not supposed to have any opinions outside of what people are pushing others to believe.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

That sounds very pathetic of Gamespot if true. I could at least respect them for being pro-trans (or whatever it's called) and attempting to promote that group's interests. Don't necessarily agree with bringing political agendas into games but I would at least understand their motivation behind writing this article.

As for the article itself, don't care what Rowling believes or says. The wizarding world she created is larger than her and as far as I recall, her views on trans people are not even reflected in the books or movies whatsoever.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#22 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Given the state of politics today, I'm not surprised they shut down the comments. Rowling has been getting support from anti-trans (especially from the right-wing) movements, pundits and politicians. Though it doesn't help that Potter fans who happen to dislike her get openly bullied for doing so now saying that "they don't support LGBT rights all" just because they simply like HP.

And yeah, she is a scumbag to the Nth degree.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

The article was just a giant plug for the authors YouTube channel. Such privilege.

JK isn't wrong, her opinion is within reason of how one views the world through science. To paint her with such a broad brush says a lot about the artist imo.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Solaryellow: It's not even an opinion, she just stated a fact that people in la la land can't accept.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4384 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Nah, it's a business move.

It's Disney putting gay characters in their films but also donating to homophobic political campaigns.

Except here it's Gamespot collecting ad revenue from a product that will line the pockets of a bigot while paying lip service to civil rights.

ding ding ding.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Solaryellow

@vfighter said:

@Solaryellow: It's not even an opinion, she just stated a fact that people in la la land can't accept.

Shhhh.... Say that too loud and you will be attacked.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@eoten said:

How is Rowling a bigot?

Her opinion doesn't fall in line with what a certain group believes. That's why! She's not supposed to have any opinions outside of what people are pushing others to believe.

Yeah, that's the point. The definition of "bigot" does not simply include someone who believes something different from someone else, yet that is exactly how they toss that phrase around. It's intention is to slur someone for having different beliefs, which is extremely toxic.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Solaryellow

The word(s) bigot or even racist/racism mean nothing these days as those terms are commonly used with much haste and w/o much thinking any time someone has a differing opinion.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6914 Posts

We're in a weird time where diversity of thought isn't accepted. If you don't agree with them you are actively contributing to a hate crime. This is the batshit insane shit they come up with and MSM outlets like IGN and GameSpot pander to it.

Avatar image for redviperofdorne
redviperofdorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

#30 redviperofdorne
Member since 2016 • 495 Posts

@Skarwolf said:

Very brave, not allowing replies. I’d like to thank you for the diatribe because it’s motivated me to purchase all her books again. 👍

Never ceases to amuse me how a marginalized group now accepted goes out of their way to cancel anyone who disagrees with them.

Reality is not everyone agrees with your lifestyle and they never will. You can delete an opinion but you’ll never cancel the idea.

100%. By not allowing comments, They proved that they don't actually want a discussion. They want a one-sided lampooning of JK, presenting their side of a complicated issue, without allowing any voice on the other side to be heard. The article is written by a trans person, which further proves the point of bias that Gamespot is coming from. It's pathetic. And just an FYI, I am not transphobic, I'm an independent (former democrat) and I support JK on this issue.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts
@SOedipus said:

….and that’s why they don’t want comments.

I understand that, but then why have the article?

Pushing a one sided narrative is arsenic.

Not calling you out or anything man, things like that just make me wonder why things are progressing the way they are these days.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts

@BassMan: Exactly