deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

This decade just feels soulless to me every other other decade had a feeling I was born in the 80's and it had it's own style same with the 90's and even the early 00's to some extent even though it was more of a extension to the late 90's culture aka nu metal, extreme sports games and the rise of the internet.

Maybe it's all the LCD screens and the smartphones everything just feels so vacant music feels manufactured out of a factory there's no soul to it. Gaming publishers are corporate sluts that want to screw you with lootboxxes. People on social media trying to 1up each other pretending to have the perfect life taking pictures of their meals shallow and hollow is this decade man it's the shits.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

We live in a time when people have trouble understanding any ideas that can't be conveyed in 280 characters.

What else do you expect?

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 499 Posts

@warmblur: I agree, especially along the lines of music and social media today. Everything has to have electronica and dance influence or it's going to fail. And most people on Facebook are self-absorbed AF. But there are good folk on there you just have to find your place.

I admit there's no real direction anything now's going in either. With the exception of movies; they're actually getting better - not counting all of these reboots.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

90's own, everything sucks now.

Loading Video...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

Tend to agree, especially about music. I rarely buy any new stuff because the majority of it sounds so similar. Music from the 60s-90s held such variety and every artist was incredibly unique. Now it’s all so cookie cutter and, like you say, so corporate and manufactured.

I also despise social media. I believe I’m the only person I know who doesn’t have an account on FB, Twitter, etc. Everyone keeps telling me to join, but I don’t understand the appeal of sharing generalized happenings in my life to a bunch of people, most of who I only know in passing. Yeah, I ate Cornflakes for breakfast, how enthralling. If I’m going to talk to someone, it’s going to be one on one. Not only because it makes for a more interesting, intimate and mutual relation, but because when it's face to face people can't hide, and I can defend my position without being dog-piled from anonymous users who are condemning me for not adhering to group think or jumping to inaccurate conclusions, for which they'll try to destroy my reputation and life. Unfortunately, not being part of social media can be a liability as some employers necessitate it.

Yeah, the explosion of social media is mostly my gripe with the decade. We're a narcissism nation, and it's little wonder Trump got elected with such an electorate.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

On the bright side we are having a TV renaissance. Just watched the first episode of Fleabag. Pretty funny.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#7 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I'll throw my two cents in but this is a hard topic for me to comment on. Because, I was born in the mid 90's and really have only reached adulthood just around about this time. Sure, my time growing up as a kid was great, but that could of just been because I was a "kid" you know?

I can say that music was far better in the 90's and early 2000's. Cartoons were amazing as well. Cartoon Network was king in my opinion. I miss the cardboard rings they'd put around Big Mac's to keep them together too. That was when Big Mac's were actually bigger though. :P

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Things were much better in the 80"s and 90's before social media and smart phones. TV shows have improved for the most part and I personally enjoy the Marvel movies, but most everything else, meh.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

I agree, things are pretty terrible these days. There is little compassion for our fellows it seems like, we seek to identify as part of some nebulous group/faction/party instead of simply identifying as people with different beliefs.

With that said, I think overall progress of humanity as pretty good. Movies are great, there's great music out there if you stop listening to the radio and go look for it.

@madrocketeer said:

We live in a time when people have trouble understanding any ideas that can't be conveyed in 280 characters.

What else do you expect?

Yeah that about sums it up. hahahaha....aww... :(

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

You can find good entertainment but you have to look for it. The popular stuff that is pushed out and given exposure is just money grabbing drivel. But good exists. Just have to work to find it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

We've just reached a point where corporations are reaching a point of absolute dominance over most art/entertainment. There's little space for stuff that's outside their circle. But it's also true that technology has open access to much more people than before and it's up to the individual to look for stuff.

As a "feel" I might agree as trends show up much less organically and spread much wider due to the internet's viral nature and people's group mentality.

But I think the "meme generation" is a very particular vibe to this decade. It's kind of too acritical and falls easily into corporate thinking but every generation it's also full of growing pains and just a stepping stone into the next one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

We've just reached a point where corporations are getting to a point of absolute dominance over most art/entertainment. Saturation even. There's little space for stuff that's outside their circle. But it's also true that technology has open access to much more people than before and it's up to the individual to look for stuff.

As a "feel" I might agree as trends show up much less organically and spread much wider due to the internet's viral nature and people's group mentality.

But I think the "meme generation" is a very particular vibe to this decade. It's kind of too acritical and falls easily into corporate thinking but every generation it's also full of growing pains and just a stepping stone into the next one.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

What else do you expect?

I agree with the sentiment. Although Twitter did expand from 140 characters to 280. So some progress is made.

It's like everything is screaming for our attention and trying to lock us in. Is there a store these days that doesn't have membership sales/prices?

One on hand, I have tools that make price comparisons for a lot of stuff a lot easier, on the other hand every shop has increased their efforts to look like they are the cheapest just to lure you in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#15 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think there was great progress on many fronts, but the biggest problem this decade is that the people became shit.

You can't have opinions or preferences anymore, facts are now grey areas, and people are so God damned insensitive about every little thing anymore that everything is a constant war of feelings.

Shit, I'll take the assholes from the 80's, 90's and 2k's all at once over the pathetic, entitled, unreasonable, triggered shmucks of the present day!

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#16 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts
@Ovirew said:

I think there was great progress on many fronts, but the biggest problem this decade is that the people became shit.

You can't have opinions or preferences anymore, facts are now grey areas, and people are so God damned insensitive about every little thing anymore that everything is a constant war of feelings.

Shit, I'll take the assholes from the 80's, 90's and 2k's all at once over the pathetic, entitled, unreasonable, triggered shmucks of the present day!

100% agree.