That rare instance: When the movie is better than the book.

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

So have you ever read a book, then watched the movie and found yourself to be surprised that you liked the movie better? Yes, it actually happens. It's rare, but it happens.

Jaws the movie is far better than Jaws the book. In the book, the characters were unlikeable and the story was boring. Nothing happened! It's been years since I read it and I plan to keep it that way.

The movie had characters that were likeable, believable and I could relate to them. Not to mention, one great last hour, with a top notch villain.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
I'll have to say Lord of the Rings.
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
I like Apocalypse Now better than Heart of Darkness. The Shining is a good example. A Clockwork Orange comes somewhat close but the book is simply incredible.
trentman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 trentman7
Member since 2007 • 2969 Posts
I'll have to say Lord of the Rings.jointed
This.
Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts
The Shawshank Redemption
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"]I'll have to say Lord of the Rings.trentman7
This.

Agreed.
Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts
Fight Club I think is a good example. Also Requiem for a Dream is another. There Will Be Blood I also preferred to "Oil!"
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#8 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
[QUOTE="trentman7"][QUOTE="jointed"]I'll have to say Lord of the Rings.Bourbons3
This.

Agreed.

You people scare me.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
The Shining is a good example.gobo212
This one I can agree with.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="trentman7"]This.Cherokee_Jack
Agreed.

You people scare me.

Have you actually read it? It's a very poorly written book if you look at it from a litterary point of view. His descriptive writing kills the mood. The universe he's managed to create is awesome, but the experience you get from reading his books can be compared to the one you get when you read an encoclypedic dictionary.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Travo_basic
The thing about the LOTR books is that all of the mountains, valleys, hills, trees, everything seems the same. It's really hard to imagine exactly where you are at.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"] Agreed.jointed
You people scare me.

Have you actually read it? It's a very poorly written book if you look at it from a litterary point of view. His descriptive writing kills the mood. The universe he's managed to create is awesome, but the experience you get from reading his books can be compared to the one you get when you read an encoclypedic dictionary.

True, but the main strenght of LOTR is the world he created, which is something movie version failed to replicate. So I'm torn on this one

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AdrianWerner
Shewshan Redemption

Green Mile

The Shining

Godfather

A time to kill

The Firm

Dexter

Gone Baby Gone

Fight Club

About a Boy

Psycho

Jaws

Silence of the lambs

Ben Hur

Blade Runner (awfuly torn on this one though :) )

Gone with the Wind

Bond series (the books are utter rubish)

Bourne series

Forest Gump

Interview with the Vampire

The Graduate

CoreyNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CoreyNT
Member since 2008 • 593 Posts
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="trentman7"]This.Cherokee_Jack
Agreed.

You people scare me.

NO WAY! Probably because there is too much travelling in the book :D
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts
Moby Dick
charlulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 charlulz
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

The Shawshank Redemptioncomeonthehoops

I agree so much. I tried getting into the book but I just could not.

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
The Godfather.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
It has yet to happen to me.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
The thing about the LOTR books is that all of the mountains, valleys, hills, trees, everything seems the same. It's really hard to imagine exactly where you are at.Travo_basic
Not for me at all.
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sajedene
It has yet to happen to me.Theokhoth
Read Moby Dick and then watch the movie -- any version of the movie. That book is highly over rated and is nothing more than chapter upon chapter of whale information.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Regarding LotR:

The books were very, very, very descriptive. That was why they became so well-known. Where most authors make a story, Tolkien made a whole world, with its own languages and history and religion and culture. But, like Jointed said, the description nulled the action a good bit.

The movie had more action, but at the expense of cutting out a massive chunk of the journey. So the movies were more fast-paced, and people tend to like that nowadays (most of the greatest literature ever written is slow, really).

So it depends on your preference. I think both movie and book were amazing, but being forced to pick one, I would go with what Tolkien made.

Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
Requiem for a dream is the only one I can think of.
Dalo12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dalo12345
Member since 2007 • 800 Posts
The Polar Express.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

Regarding LotR:

The books were very, very, very descriptive. That was why they became so well-known. Where most authors make a story, Tolkien made a whole world, with its own languages and history and religion and culture. But, like Jointed said, the description nulled the action a good bit.

The movie had more action, but at the expense of cutting out a massive chunk of the journey. So the movies were more fast-paced, and people tend to like that nowadays (most of the greatest literature ever written is slow, really).

So it depends on your preference. I think both movie and book were amazing, but being forced to pick one, I would go with what Tolkien made.

Theokhoth
+1. Also depends on which version you experienced first.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
Moby Dick, definitely. The book was so intolerably boring that any movie at or above the level of "bearable" would have been far more enjoyable than actually reading the book itself. Herman Melville wrote it as more of an encyclopedia on whaling than anything else.
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
Jumanji, I think the book was a bedtime story and was somewhere around 25 pages long.
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts
Never happened to me.
KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts
It has yet to happen to me.Theokhoth
Me also.
pyroistheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 pyroistheone
Member since 2003 • 537 Posts

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is definitely my choice...

But shame to all of you who said Fight Club... As great as the movie is, the book is still significantly better...

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
How about Last of the Mohicans comes to mind, along with Die Hard.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AdrianWerner

The films make the world more implicit than in the book. When they walk through a random glade, and see a random statue commemerating some famous incident that happened in the glade, the entire history of the glade isn't explained, and it doesn't have to be.

Qooroo

But because of that movies lack exactly what made the books so special: the depth and complexity of fictional world. Tolkien was a crappy writer, but amazing worldbuilder, something that's completely absent from the movies.

That's why I can't agree LOTR movies were better than the original novels, they were just diffrent, fixed most problems from original while at the same time loosing their biggest strenght. It's just one of those few cases where the movie ended up too diffrent to decide which version is better (another examples of that would be Prestige and Blade Runner)

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Travo_basic
How about Last of the Mohicans comes to mind, along with Die Hard.Yagr_Zero
I could never find the book that Die Hard was based on. I also disagree with Last of the Mohicans. Great movie, better book.
Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts
Jurassic Park.
gaminggirl8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 gaminggirl8
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts
[QUOTE="trentman7"][QUOTE="jointed"]I'll have to say Lord of the Rings.Bourbons3
This.

Agreed.

Agree.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AdrianWerner

But shame to all of you who said Fight Club... As great as the movie is, the book is still significantly better...

pyroistheone
How come? It almost exactly the same, only that it has worse flow, the narration is shallower and it lacks the focus of the movie. Movie took the book and improved on it in ever way. And then just added a diffrent ending(which I have troubles deciding if it's better or worse than original). Fight Club was a story that just worked a lot better on movie format. THe only thing movie lacked were detailed chemical instructions :)
aRE-you-AFraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 aRE-you-AFraid
Member since 2006 • 3234 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"] Agreed.

You people scare me.

agreed.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
[QUOTE="Yagr_Zero"]How about Last of the Mohicans comes to mind, along with Die Hard.Travo_basic
I could never find the book that Die Hard was based on. I also disagree with Last of the Mohicans. Great movie, better book.

Eh, to each their own :P. Oh, and how about Babe? Thought the movie was slightly better than the book.
jachichorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jachichorro
Member since 2004 • 3058 Posts
Let the Right One In. Ha I beat you Film-Guy! :D
pyroistheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pyroistheone
Member since 2003 • 537 Posts
[QUOTE="pyroistheone"]

AdrianWerner

How come? It almost exactly the same, only that it has worse flow, the narration is shallower and it lacks the focus of the movie. Movie took the book and improved on it in ever way. And then just added a diffrent ending(which I have troubles deciding if it's better or worse than original). Fight Club was a story that just worked a lot better on movie format. THe only thing movie lacked were detailed chemical instructions :)

The book much better shows the relationship between Tyler's personalities, and that is the backbone of the story...

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AdrianWerner

The book much better shows the relationship between Tyler's personalities, and that is the backbone of the story...

pyroistheone
It does? Not to me. Except some random scenes that make the twist far more obvious than in the movie version. In book Tyler is a lot less interesting and charismatic. It's a bit hard to believe he was idealized version of the main character.
musicaz70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 musicaz70
Member since 2007 • 1949 Posts
The LOTR movies are tied with books for me. The movies brought Middle Earth to life so incredibly well, but the books to me had a better story.
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sajedene
Moby Dick, definitely. The book was so intolerably boring that any movie at or above the level of "bearable" would have been far more enjoyable than actually reading the book itself. Herman Melville wrote it as more of an encyclopedia on whaling than anything else.thepwninator
Ahoyhoy! Someone who agrees with me! Seriously... that book was torture. I read it for "fun" thinking that so many people say its one of the greatest books ever written -- but all it was was indeed just an encyclopedia of whales. If we took all that stuff out the book would be so thin but a much more enjoyable read.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 thepwninator
[QUOTE="thepwninator"]Moby Dick, definitely. The book was so intolerably boring that any movie at or above the level of "bearable" would have been far more enjoyable than actually reading the book itself. Herman Melville wrote it as more of an encyclopedia on whaling than anything else.Sajedene
Ahoyhoy! Someone who agrees with me! Seriously... that book was torture. I read it for "fun" thinking that so many people say its one of the greatest books ever written -- but all it was was indeed just an encyclopedia of whales. If we took all that stuff out the book would be so thin but a much more enjoyable read.

I, quite honestly, have never met anyone who has genuinely read through the entire book that enjoyed it. The story is interesting, but the book is just so padded out that it verges on the ridiculous. Another plus for the film, by the way, is that it has Patrick Stewart as Captain Ahab ;)
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Sajedene
[QUOTE="Sajedene"][QUOTE="thepwninator"]Moby Dick, definitely. The book was so intolerably boring that any movie at or above the level of "bearable" would have been far more enjoyable than actually reading the book itself. Herman Melville wrote it as more of an encyclopedia on whaling than anything else.thepwninator

I, quite honestly, have never met anyone who has genuinely read through the entire book that enjoyed it. The story is interesting, but the book is just so padded out that it verges on the ridiculous. Another plus for the film, by the way, is that it has Patrick Stewart as Captain Ahab ;)

Mmmm so true. Patrick Stewart as a captain anything is hot.

I wanted to shoot myself at one point when all the book kept talking about was Narwhales and their teeth or whatever -- I even think he repeats himself. How much crap about whales can one write down. Maybe its a sexual thing. Hmmm....

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thepwninator
[QUOTE="thepwninator"][QUOTE="Sajedene"] Ahoyhoy! Someone who agrees with me! Seriously... that book was torture. I read it for "fun" thinking that so many people say its one of the greatest books ever written -- but all it was was indeed just an encyclopedia of whales. If we took all that stuff out the book would be so thin but a much more enjoyable read. Sajedene

Mmmm so true. Patrick Stewart as a captain anything is hot.

I wanted to shoot myself at one point when all the book kept talking about was Narwhales and their teeth or whatever -- I even think he repeats himself. How much crap about whales can one write down. Maybe its a sexual thing. Hmmm....

I don't think he repeats himself. I know he repeats himself. In one chapter, he's describing a material that whalers take from within sperm whales that is extremely valuable, and he devotes three entire (long) paragraphs to describing its uses, and each one is simply a rearrangement of the previous one.

And he was a whaler himself, you know, there weren't any women aboard the ships, and homosexuality was extremely frowned upon, so maybe it was a sexual thing :|

vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

Can't think of any.

If i've read the book and movie, I liked the book.

Any other movies i've seen with a book version i never read it.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
The Godfather
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

Blade Runner (awfuly torn on this one though :) )

Bourne series

AdrianWerner

I'm with you on Blade Runner. That movie is beautiful, and the acting was great...just enough to put it over "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", although both are fantstic.

However, I'll disagree with you on the Bourne movies. The actions scenes are ok, but there's no story and the characters are soulless and lifeless.Good action movies, but they're remarkably forgettable. The books are some of the best I've read in that genre, the writing is great, the characters are fully fleshed out...I really can't think of many negatives for the books(at least, the initial trilogy).