Tell us what you think...Do MOD's abuse there power?Or should they get more?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fryshakewad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fryshakewad
Member since 2007 • 1178 Posts

I have seen both issues, MODS who take it all personally and have a god complex. Yet there are some who do all they can to help the community. Just wondering what your experiences showed you.

Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Crimtmp
Member since 2006 • 2432 Posts

Personally I think MODs are a joke, sure they are needed in certain situations like banning people who post nude photos or something like that. But curse words? Come on its 2010 if you are not desensitizes to them by now you should not be on a message board.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Sometimes they're a bit strict...but they seem fair in my experiences with them..*cowers in fear of mods* :P..shh they're watching...

Cpt-Obvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cpt-Obvious
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

Wait...The mods get most of their tips by people reporting them, so it's not the mods, all the time, many of the times when you get moderated, it's because another user noticed you breaking the TOS and reported you.

That being said, I think a few rules here could be loosened a bit, but generally I like all the rules. I'd rather not have someone use profanity every second word.

fryshakewad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fryshakewad

That's the thing, should we be afraid literally that they are watching us at all times with there finger over the ban hammer? Is that the purpose they are meant to serve? Sometimes I think they see a topic and make a personal judgement about if they think its right or wrong and DONT go by the topic rules.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Considering that I have a feeling that this is in direct response to the Haiti thread, I stated in no uncertain terms that politics and debate should be kept out of the thread on account of the facts both that it is intended to be an uninterrupted resource for those who wish to donate and that you are more than welcome to talk about such things in the entire rest of the OT forum. If you don't want to donate, then don't; no one is forcing you to.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Its more the rules that I don't like. The mods don't make the rules, they just enforce them, at least as far as I know. :P I sometimes got modded for really stupid things for stupid reasons but its the rules and its what the mods are supposed to do. Plus I like a lot of the mods, they're pretty nice people. Oh my god... Its happened... I've developed Stockholms Syndrome. I have begun to like my evil punishers! Nooo!!! But seriously, they are fine with me.
Cpt-Obvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cpt-Obvious
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

Considering that I have a feeling that this is in direct response to the Haiti thread, I stated in no uncertain terms that politics and debate should be kept out of the thread on account of the facts both that it is intended to be an uninterrupted resource for those who wish to donate and that you are more than welcome to talk about such things in the entire rest of the OT forum. If you don't want to donate, then don't; no one is forcing you to.

GabuEx

:o A Chocobo mod! How can the person who created the thread think Chocobo's are evil?! :P

fryshakewad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fryshakewad

Gabu that's not what the thread is about, but its a contributing factor. Like why did I just receive a warning for making a topic that CAN be made? I'm not in-sighting arguments im trying to get a sense of if its me or if its something else. no disrespect meant.

Jaks_Secret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaks_Secret
Member since 2006 • 9003 Posts
They follow the ToU - it's just that the ToU has some flaws.
Sheena321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sheena321
Member since 2006 • 7489 Posts
Nah, I've said it before , it's not like theyre paid or anything .... from my experiences, I think they do a great job :D ...... I'm a good girl .. honest :) LOL
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Power relations of an online internet forum don't reallyconcern me one way or another.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I don't think so. They're just inforcing the ToU which if you follow you'll have no problems. People complaining about it makes their jobs harder.

x-chump-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 x-chump-x
Member since 2008 • 542 Posts
They probably need more power to enforce, but I guess i'm somewhere in the middle. It really makes a difference with the no cursing policy on these forums. I've been to many forums and it's just a mess with the cursing and provocative sigs. I have to say the mods make the forums what they are.
fryshakewad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fryshakewad

Dont you feel like in some cases vendettas are formed?

If I argue w/ a MOD im 100% wrong no matter what I do or say.

There is no accountability to all the power they do have, like who Modded me? cant I have a dialogue before I get banned for a reason I don't understand?

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
They should do what any decent mod on any other forum does - clam up and stay out of discussions, because they're here to mod forums not to get into arguments with people.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i don't think they abuse their power. i think if one of them did, some higher up mod might notice and maybe say a few words and it would stop. however, i do think some of the moderations i get are kinda iffy though..

EvilSteveo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EvilSteveo
Member since 2008 • 1995 Posts

I used to think they Abused they power here. But they don't after reading a blog i think a mod wrote i changed my view. They only doing what they informed to. Heck i bet some of them don't like some of the rules but they have to apply them.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

Those mods are bunch of haters of you ask me....

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

THEY'RE OUT THERE.

Mods in white suits up before me to commit sex acts in the forums and get it modded up before I can catch them.

They're modding when I come out of the dorm, all of them sulky and hating everything, the time of day, the place they're at here, the people they got to work around. When they hate like this, better they don't see me. I lurk around the boards quiet as dust but they got special sensitive equipment detects my fear and they all look up, all at once, at me, and hand me a moderation.

p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 p00zer
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

Usually it's all cool, but I remember once getting modded for posting the image of an LA Times winning book that happened to have a swear word in the title. That seemed really silly to me on a lot of levels.

fryshakewad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fryshakewad

LOL is a MOD calling me a hater in a roundabout MODish way? THATS EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT god complex.

EvilSteveo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EvilSteveo
Member since 2008 • 1995 Posts

Offtopic needs to give the mods some more lovin

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dariency

solidruss

But he's not talking about mods. He's talking about MODS :P

Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Crimtmp

I wish they would tell you what you get mod'ed? for because I just got it for whatever reason.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
I've yet to be modded, so in my experience they're absolutely fine :)
Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts

Wow, the internet is serious business I guess. It's a internet forum, who cares if the mods are too strict or how the mods act. All they do in reality is remove post tagged by other users as offensive. If you don't like the mods on one forum you can go to another.

Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Crimtmp

Wow, the internet is serious business I guess. It's a internet forum, who cares if the mods are too strict or how the mods act. All they do in reality is remove post tagged by other users as offensive. If you don't like the mods on one forum you can go to another.

Ace_WondersX

Yeah but most mods are pretty strict. There is only one message board I post on where the mods really just dont care about anything as long as: your not trolling, spamming, posting nudes.

Which imo should be how it goes.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I think they do a good job at enforcing the TOU. I think the TOU might need some modifications but since this community includes people from many ages it might not be possible to satisfy all.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GabuEx

There is no accountability to all the power they do have, like who Modded me? cant I have a dialogue before I get banned for a reason I don't understand?

fryshakewad

I wish they would tell you what you get mod'ed? for because I just got it for whatever reason.

Crimtmp

Unless I'm misunderstanding your concerns, that's the entire reason why we have Ask the Mods...

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
What did a bunch of old music files ever do to you? :(
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts

solidruss
Tell me about it. *limps away*
Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Crimtmp

[QUOTE="fryshakewad"]

GabuEx

Crimtmp

Unless I'm misunderstanding your concerns, that's the entire reason why we have Ask the Mods...

This is a serious post

When someone does get mod'ed do the mods even check out the complaint or is it just done solely because someone complained?

fryshakewad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fryshakewad

I love how one MOD responded and he basically insulted all who aren't MOD's hehe. Classic. But yea they have no accountability as MOD's but we do. They are held at a higher standard than the rest of us and there opinions hold more weight is that American?

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dariency

LOL is a MOD calling me a hater in a roundabout MODish way? THATS EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT god complex.

fryshakewad

He was joking :?

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I don't think they abuse their powers but i do think that the TOU is a bit strict.

fryshakewad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fryshakewad

*Holds up MOD shield* "Woah that was a strong wave! Almost got killed."

Im not asking a MOD im asking regular users so this is exactly where it belongs.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GabuEx

This is a serious post

When someone does get mod'ed do the mods even check out the complaint or is it just done solely because someone complained?

Crimtmp

Considering that we are presented with the post that has been reported for us to read before doing anything about it, I think that would kind of be a rather pointless step if we just moderated everything that was reported due to its having been reported.

Lo_236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lo_236
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="fryshakewad"]

*Holds up MOD shield* "Woah that was a strong wave! Almost got killed."

Im not asking a MOD im asking regular users so this is exactly where it belongs.

he was joking
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#41 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

Dont you feel like in some cases vendettas are formed?

If I argue w/ a MOD im 100% wrong no matter what I do or say.

fryshakewad
1. I doubt there are vendettas. If there is a poster I don't care much for, or I'm good friends with, I don't moderate their post that's been reported. We're human, of course we're bias somewhat to our friends, so letting another mod handle it takes care of that. 2. Not at all. I've made mistakes, been pointed out in ATM, and PM'd the user on the mistake I made and had the moderation reversed. I know most every mod has done the same. That being said, going into ATM raging will get you nowhere usually. 3. We have to answer if we make repeated mistakes to those higher than us. On the banned part there's customer service.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
They should have more power. Power so they can send a swat team with an epic banhammer to knock down your door and ban your *** personally.
Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Crimtmp

They should have more power. Power so they can send a swat team with an epic banhammer to knock down your door and ban your *** personally.Pvt_r3d
"YOU SHOULDNT HAVE DROPPED THE F WORD!" *BLACK BAGGED*

fryshakewad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fryshakewad

I guess it makes sense that a MOD wouldn't get the plight of the common user. Hell most MODs have like 100k posts and are lvl 50. They clearly have more experience with video games than I do. It just bugs me that they feel different than an ordinary GS user.

I think MODs should not be able to post. If they do then do it on a personal account. People take there suggestions just because they are MOD's that's dangerous.

Its just this feeling I get when ever I talk to a MOD. And I know others have felt the same way.

fryshakewad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fryshakewad
What did a bunch of old music files ever do to you? :(MAILER_DAEMON
Thanks MOD *rolls*
fryshakewad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fryshakewad
[QUOTE="solidruss"]

Yagr_Zero
Tell me about it. *limps away*

What are you trying to say? or were you just trying to make a joke?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GabuEx

I guess it makes sense that a MOD wouldn't get the plight of the common user. Hell most MODs have like 100k posts and are lvl 50. They clearly have more experience with video games than I do. It just bugs me that they feel different than an ordinary GS user.

I think MODs should not be able to post. If they do then do it on a personal account. People take there suggestions just because they are MOD's that's dangerous.

Its just this feeling I get when ever I talk to a MOD. And I know others have felt the same way.

fryshakewad

...How exactly would it make us more in touch with other users for us not to be able to post? :?

You do realize that we were users before we were recruited as moderators, yes? We weren't carted in from an outside agency to be moderators.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
[QUOTE="fryshakewad"] What are you trying to say? or were you just trying to make a joke?

It be a joke :P.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
They should have more power. Power so they can send a swat team with an epic banhammer to knock down your door and ban your *** personally.Pvt_r3d
I like the sound of that...
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
The mods on this site are ridiculous. The terms of service need some serious revising. The rules on here are stupid as hell. You'd think this was a forum for preschoolers, because with all of the unnecessary rules on here I sure as hell feel like a preschooler sometimes. Anyone who's gotten suspended knows what I'm talking about too. You read the moderation form in your inbox and find out you've been suspended, then you read why and it's usually the stupidest ticky tacky thing that doesn't even warrant a moderation. I've never been suspended on any other website on the whole internet and I've been a member of many. I don't act any different here than I do on those websites, yet I've been suspended here at least like twice. What does that tell you about the rules on GS?