Teenager stabs himself to death onstage

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

An Oregon teenager shocked a crowd at a coffee shop last week when he stabbed himself to death on stage after singing at an open mic night.

Kipp Rusty Walker, 19, took the stage at Strictly Organic Coffee in the town of Bend, Or. on Thursday to perform a song he called "Sorry for the Mess."

When he finished playing, he pulled out a knife with a double-edged 6 inch blade and stabbed himself multiple times in the chest in front of a confused crowd of roughly 15 people.

"It was really unclear at first what was even happening. Because, you know, it is an open mic and it's a performance," the shop's co-owner Rhonda Ealy told local television station KTVZ. "People at first thought it was some sort of theatre."

Once the crowd saw blood and figured out what was happening, Walker was rushed to St. Charles Medical Center where he died of his wounds.

A friend of his, who did not want to be identified, told Oregon's NewsChannel 21 Walker's death did not come as much of a surprise because the teenager had contemplated suicide before and even planned to kill himself in a public place.

"I've been preparing for it for a while, I'm sad about it, but I think I'm in shock, it's like a whirlwind of emotions," the friend said. "It was almost like he wanted to prove a point, like there's no point in being scared of death because it's going to happen to us anyway."

Walker first tried to take his own life on Mar. 20th, the friend said, who helped to have him hospitalized at the psychiatric unit of St. Charles Medical Center-Bend.

He said he warned Walker that killing himself would have lasting implications.

"I actually told him, I was like, 'Dude, this is going to mess a lot of people up," the friend told the TV station.

The traumatic incident is the first of its kind in the area, police Sgt. Chris Carney told Oregon radio station KBND.

"You know, 19 years with the Police Department, I can't think of any event similar to this where somebody's done something in such a public forum," he said. "We still don't know the reason why he chose to do this, why he chose this location or anything and we probably never will."

Counseling has been made available to witnesses or anyone affected by Walker's death.

"Most people never have to see anything like that in their entire lives, and never have before, so it is a life-changing experience," Ealy told KTVZ.

Walker would have turned 20 this week.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/04/17/2011-04-17_teenager_stabs_himself_to_death_onstage_at_open_mic_night_in_front_of_shocked_cr.html

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
What is with people these days and killing themselves in public? People can't do it in their homes anymore?
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
What the... "sorry for the mess" indeed.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

drama queen

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

What is with people these days and killing themselves in public? People can't do it in their homes anymore?MgamerBD

This.

**** that guy. I don't encourage suicide by any means. But if you want to be dead, then I'm not gonna look down on someone just because they decided to be dead.

What I absolutely hate with a passion are the people who deliberately try to do so as a way of affecting other people. The people who make a theater out of that ****. If my dad committed suicide as quietly and as privately as possible, and tried to make sure that he traumatized the least number of people, then fine. But if my dad were to do some **** like hanging himself in front of the Christmas tree on Christmas morning, so that the whole family went downstairs and saw dad hanging from a noose in front of the goddamn Christmas tree, then **** him.

If someone wants to commit suicide because they just don't plain want to live any more, then fine. But THIS **** makes me sick. People DELIBERATELY trying to traumatize others as sort of a last "**** you" to the rest of the world. Those guys don't get an ounce of respect or sympathy from me, all I can say is "good riddance".

I mean, seriously. Don't commit suicide. But if you ARE gonna do it, at least have the goddamn common courtesy not to make a public spectacle out of it.

blurguy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blurguy6
Member since 2010 • 699 Posts
I knew I shouldnt have had clicked on this thread yet I still did and now I feel really depressed....
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I knew I shouldnt have had clicked on this thread yet I still did and now I feel really depressed....blurguy6

Why? If you're gonna be depressed be depressed about people that are alive yet work in volcanoes, deep sea compressor fishing and have terrible lives that still HAVE to live on, they literaly dont have the luxury because their families would be next. Not some pathetic sad kid that wants to stick it to the world.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
what an idiot. world is better off without him
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Kids these days I suppose. I don't know if it's happening more often or just simply getting more exposure but what's up with all the school shootings/suicides?

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16051 Posts

That's a dispicable way to go. He knew that that would fill people's heads with images that will scar them for life, but did it anyway. That disgusts me.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Kids these days I suppose. I don't know if it's happening more often or just simply getting more exposure but what's up with all the school shootings/suicides?

Espada12
I guess they're realizing the past generations haven't really left them with anything worthwhile?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Nibroc420

I guess they're realizing the past generations haven't really left them with anything worthwhile?

Nuts to that.

What were the past generations SUPPOSED to leave for them?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

MrGeezer

Nuts to that.

a world that isn't going to ****
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGeezer

a world that isn't going to ****Nibroc420

1) Please establish that the world IS going to **** now.

2) Please establish that there has EVER been a time when the world HASN'T been seen as "going to ****".

3) Please establish that current generations have EVER been entitled to a world which is indeed NOT "going to ****".

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Great performance, very realistic?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]a world that isn't going to ****MrGeezer

2) Please establish that there has EVER been a time when the world HASN'T been seen as "going to ****".

3) Please establish that current generations have EVER been entitled to a world which is indeed NOT "going to ****".

1.) Watch the news? 2.) never said there hasn't, but apparently global warming is some new thing we're messing with future generations for :roll: 3.) whatever i said "i guess"
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

I guess they're realizing the past generations haven't really left them with anything worthwhile?Nibroc420

Nuts to that.

a world that isn't going to ****

Well they did...and there is nothing we can do about it. As the next generation we have to improve on their mistakes instead of playing the blame game. It is our generation responsibility now to make this world a better place before we die.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]What is with people these days and killing themselves in public? People can't do it in their homes anymore?MrGeezer

This.

**** that guy. I don't encourage suicide by any means. But if you want to be dead, then I'm not gonna look down on someone just because they decided to be dead.

What I absolutely hate with a passion are the people who deliberately try to do so as a way of affecting other people. The people who make a theater out of that ****. If my dad committed suicide as quietly and as privately as possible, and tried to make sure that he traumatized the least number of people, then fine. But if my dad were to do some **** like hanging himself in front of the Christmas tree on Christmas morning, so that the whole family went downstairs and saw dad hanging from a noose in front of the goddamn Christmas tree, then **** him.

If someone wants to commit suicide because they just don't plain want to live any more, then fine. But THIS **** makes me sick. People DELIBERATELY trying to traumatize others as sort of a last "**** you" to the rest of the world. Those guys don't get an ounce of respect or sympathy from me, all I can say is "good riddance".

I mean, seriously. Don't commit suicide. But if you ARE gonna do it, at least have the goddamn common courtesy not to make a public spectacle out of it.

What I hate are the people who kill other people or ruin people's lives in the process of committing suicide. Specifically I'm thinking of one story I heard where a woman killed herself by intentionally driving in the oncoming traffic lane and ended up killing a family (ironically she survived IIRC). That's not an isolated story either. And then there are the people who toss themselves in front of oncoming cars or trains without considering what's going to happen to the guy who hits them (psychological trauma, getting charged with manslaughter, and losing their career if they were a train operator or truck driver).
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

kid HAD to have had issues, idk why his s*** wasn't kept in check.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

Man...now thats what I call avant garde art!

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

Sounds like he put on a

*puts on glasses*

Killer show.

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Hello mods. >_>

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]a world that isn't going to ****Nibroc420

1.) Watch the news? 2.) never said there hasn't, but apparently global warming is some new thing we're messing with future generations for :roll: 3.) whatever i said "i guess"

global warming doesnt exist. its all make believe
Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Vangaurdius
Member since 2007 • 671 Posts

If I were to kill myself I would dress up as Santa Claus. I would stuff my suit full of candy and have a giant bag full of various toys, electronics, and more candy. I'd wait till christmas eve of course. Then I'd strap explosives to myself. I'd go to the top of a really tall building, and hopefully the media would be there filming and everything. Then I'd say "HO HO HO! MERRY CHRISTMAS! I QUIT!" Then I'd leap from the building and blow myself up showering everyone candy, toys, and my exploded bits and pieces.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 needled24-7

Sounds like he put a

*puts on glasses*

Killer show.

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Hello mods. >_>

cybrcatter

a

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer

global warming doesnt exist. its all make believemems_1224

Global warming has occured multiple times in the Earth's past, and the world did just fine.

So again, please establish that the world is indeed "going to ****".

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
I'm sorry for the guy since he died, but that was kind of legendary.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

Good for him.

Sometimes, with certain thoughts... you just feel you can't escape them.
I don't know what his exact case was, but it's not always a thought you 'want' to have stuck in your head.
You simply go through phases where you cannot escape them.

His thought was ending his life, and he did it in a way that garned the attention of the media (which seems to be want he felt he wanted)

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#30 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Is it just me, or should he have sung "Cut's Like a Knife?"
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
To the chest? Um, ow!
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 majoras_wrath

Good for him.

Sometimes, with certain thoughts... you just feel you can't escape them.
I don't know what his exact case was, but it's not always a thought you 'want' to have stuck in your head.
You simply go through phases where you cannot escape them.

His thought was ending his life, and he did it in a way that garned the attention of the media (which seems to be want he felt he wanted)

Baconbits2004

I'm not one to use memes, but if I did, there would be a certain Joker picture right here.

No. Suicide is not justifiable in this circumstance. Especially since he obviously had mental health issues, was not thinking clearly and seriously needed more help.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Baconbits2004

That's a dispicable way to go. He knew that that would fill people's heads with images that will scar them for life, but did it anyway. That disgusts me.

dracula_16
That's a very negative view on what has happened. You don't see the positive in the story?
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

Baconbits2004
That's a very negative view on what has happened. You don't see the positive in the story?

What positive? He could have just stabbed himself to death in his room. Or gone with a less gory, less painful, more private method which would have been better for everyone. Instead he decided "it's all about me".
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

And nothing of value was lost.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Baconbits2004

I'm not one to use memes, but if I did, there would be a certain Joker picture right here.

No. Suicide is not justifiable in this circumstance. Especially since he obviously had mental health issues, was not thinking clearly and seriously needed more help.

majoras_wrath

I'm very serious.

The man is free to do what he wants with his life. His brain/mind felt it needed to be ended.
IME these thoughts are quite unavoidable. He even sought counceling, and it did nothing for him.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"]

Baconbits2004

I'm very serious.

The man is free to do what he wants with his life. His brain/mind felt it needed to be ended.
IME these thoughts are quite unavoidable. He even sought counceling, and it did nothing for him.

Yeah, and some people feel compelled to rape children. Some of them even seek counselling.

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jolt_counter119

[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

Baconbits2004

The only negative I see is people being sad and feeling sorry for him. Thats why kids keep doing this s***. "Oh ill show them ill show everyone and make them all feel my pain" if people would just go "hey kid killed himself, f*** him, who cares" they wouldnt be doing this crap for attention.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 needled24-7

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"]

Baconbits2004

I'm very serious.

he is free to do what he wants, yes, but what a douche move to do it in front of all those people, it's just f***ed up, you expect to see some open mic and you get some open mic with DEATH.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Baconbits2004

What positive? He could have just stabbed himself to death in his room. Or gone with a less gory, less painful, more private method which would have been better for everyone. Instead he decided "it's all about me".gameguy6700

That's another way to look at it. And everyone will form there own opinion on his actions.
The fact that you even have one is proof that he did something better than 'going silently'.

Just think about the person in the article, his friend.
He seen it coming, did he not?
And yet, it still happened.

Maybe next time (those people in that room for example) might give a damn enough to prevent this from repeating itself.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 majoras_wrath

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"]

Baconbits2004

I'm very serious.

I tried many times to formulate a point, but this article does it much better then I do.

He was not thinking clearly. His impulsive and highly selfish action, which probably damaged a lot of people more then he cared to think about, proves that. Stop trying to justify a completely irrational and completely tragic suicide.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Baconbits2004

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"][QUOTE="dracula_16"]

Jolt_counter119

The only negative I see is people being sad and feeling sorry for him. Thats why kids keep doing this s***. "Oh ill show them ill show everyone and make them all feel my pain" if people would just go "hey kid killed himself, f*** him, who cares" they wouldnt be doing this crap for attention.

See! this is the kind of mentality I'm talking about.
I'm fairly certain you wouldn't be thinking this way if you were in that room when it happened.

There is absolutely no way for him to be enjoying this so called attention.... he's dead.

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jolt_counter119

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]What positive? He could have just stabbed himself to death in his room. Or gone with a less gory, less painful, more private method which would have been better for everyone. Instead he decided "it's all about me".Baconbits2004

That's another way to look at it. And everyone will form there own opinion on his actions.
The fact that you even have one is proof that he did something better than 'going silently'.

Maybe next time (those people in that room for example) might give a damn enough to prevent this from repeating itself.

Or maybe next time kids can stop being so pathetic and not kill themselves, its his fault and problem not anyone elses.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MrGeezer

There is absolutely no way for him to be enjoying this so called attention.... he's dead.

Baconbits2004

Precisely.

This wasn't for his benefit, it's for making EVERYONE ELSE feel like ****.

That is not a good thing.

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jolt_counter119

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"] That's a very negative view on what has happened. You don't see the positive in the story? Baconbits2004

I'm fairly certain you wouldn't be thinking this way if you were in that room when it happened.

One of my very close neighbors that my family keeps close with committed suicide in a park on a tree in the middle of the neighborhood for everyone to see, they want attention. His brother had to go and cut him down himself in front of his crying parents as everyone else saw. I feel no compassion for people that commit suicide or even seriously contemplate it.

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts
Weird sounds like something I would do if I ever planed to kill my self would hope for a bigger crowd.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Baconbits2004

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]What positive? He could have just stabbed himself to death in his room. Or gone with a less gory, less painful, more private method which would have been better for everyone. Instead he decided "it's all about me".Jolt_counter119

Or maybe next time kids can stop being so pathetic and not kill themselves, its his fault and problem not anyone elses.

You don't even know this guy, yet you seem only cappable of expressing negative blanket statements to suicidal patients as a whole, while simutaniously instisting that there isn't really much of a problem in the first place. Only "pathetic people"

This is something that really needs to change in society as a whole. The "you're pathetic, get over it" mentality doesn't seem to be helping.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Baconbits2004

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"]

majoras_wrath

I'm very serious.

I tried many times to formulate a point, but this article does it much better then I do.

He was not thinking clearly. His impulsive and highly selfish action, which probably damaged a lot of people more then he cared to think about, proves that. Stop trying to justify a completely irrational and completely tragic suicide.

I'm reading your article in bursts... it will take a while, I am a slow reader, with issues I'm trying to clear out myself. Please bare with me. :P

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Baconbits2004

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

MrGeezer

Precisely.

This wasn't for his benefit, it's for making EVERYONE ELSE feel like ****.

That is not a good thing.

So, you propose everyone go 'silently'?
Just... sweep them under the rug.
Pretend it never happened, that isn't very helpful to people who clearly have something wrong with them.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Baconbits2004

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

Jolt_counter119

One of my very close neighbors that my family keeps close with committed suicide in a park on a tree in the middle of the neighborhood for everyone to see, they want attention. His brother had to go and cut him down himself in front of his crying parents as everyone else saw. I feel no compassion for people that commit suicide or even seriously contemplate it.

He certainly seems to be bringing about a few emotions for someone you don't care about...