Taylor Swift.. Artist of the Year...

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GuysSeriously

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 GuysSeriously
Member since 2009 • 77 Posts
She's my future wife.
DooMsDaYRangeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 DooMsDaYRangeR
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I like her. I was so happy that she won. She deserved the award more than anyone.

DooMsDaYRangeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 DooMsDaYRangeR

I have nothing against Taylor, I don't see anything not to like. But I fail to see what makes her so good. MAYBE I should give one of her albums a chance, but her singles don't do much for me so I'm not sure if I can motivate myself to try out the rest of her stuff. If any fans want to recomend me a great song by her go ahead.alphamale1989

Here are a few reasons.

She has a beautiful voice.

She writes all her own songs.

She handles all her tour stuff on her own. On her tours, she handles everything.

There is more I can't think of off the top of my head.

jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts

Meh, I think they gave sympathy to her because Kanye called her out. :lol:

Lilyanne46
That whole thing was staged.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts

Meh she's not bad, and yeah I mean I know MJ died but give me a break, he really didn't do much this year in terms of music

Boston_Boyy
he got 4 awards, more than anyone ever in AMAs... so yeah pretty much this. btw why isn't anyone talking about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcSuRADnYno&feature=related
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Lockedge"]This is why I don't subscribe to the idea that mass population determines the who the best musicians are. She's popular, good for her.. her voice is ok, and she seems likable, but musically and artistically she doesn't have a foot to stand on against actual competition. But she writes catchy stuff that people can hum to on their way to school or whatever, so kudos to her for succeeding. "Artist" of the year in my books is still probably up in the air, but she's nowhere near the top 100.Lockedge

What's a better way to choose artist of the year aside from popularity? Popularity means alot of people have heard of and like your music, so in a sense it's good enough to tons of people to vote you over other artist and that sounds like a reasonable way to choose who gets the award.

When the word "artist" is used in an awards competition, it should not be held to the whims of the masses, or the opinions of the recording publishers who hold a monopoly over popular music. Call it "Top Female Recording Star" or something, but artist has no place in there. If the Oscars were run the way the Grammys were, Twilight would sweep(not saying the Oscars are run well, but better than the Grammys). There's a reason that the MTV people's choice awards are there...to appease that crowd. Artistically, how do Ms. Swift's songs compare with that of others? What's the lyrical integrity of her works? What's her message and how is it channeled through her music? You have to have significant artistic merit to earn the right to being vlaimed "Artist of the Year" in terms of music. I do not believe her music suffices, and in my opinion, her works are very simple, stereotypical, and flat. They're good background fodder with the odd catchy hook, but her music is not in the upper echelons of releases this year or last year. Popularity-wise, yes, she's right up there, but artistically, she's not. That's absolutely fine, and again, I think she fits her marketed audience very well and I wish her great success as she's worked very hard for it, but she hasn't earned such a title yet.

who would you rather have that award then?
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I think we've all been owned...mattbbpl
lol, tell me about it :x
HitomiChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 HitomiChan
Member since 2009 • 15305 Posts

good for her.. :D

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts
I hate how she sings about tween pop lifestyle crap about high school. Shes 19 going on 20. Shes a woman.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
That doesn't say much for the state of mainstream music. Ugh we have the radio on and work and I hate that current song of hers they play.:(
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

That doesn't say much for the state of mainstream music. Ugh we have the radio on and work and I hate that current song of hers they play.:(LJS9502_basic

I thought you work at a liquor store? Don't you play something... well not that?

THE_BRUTALIZER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62 THE_BRUTALIZER
Member since 2008 • 3488 Posts

So i guess Kanye is owned? She beat out Michael Jackson also :shock:

Tjeremiah1988
Yeah its really cool. I HATE her music, but I personally know her banjoist/guitarist Mike Meadows, he's from my hometown Danville Virginia, his mother was my principal in preschool to ninth grade, and I take lessons from his guitar teacher....he was a good friend, its cool to see him standing on a stage with one of the most popular stars in America....I laugh everytime I see him up there.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

What's a better way to choose artist of the year aside from popularity? Popularity means alot of people have heard of and like your music, so in a sense it's good enough to tons of people to vote you over other artist and that sounds like a reasonable way to choose who gets the award.

nintendo-4life

When the word "artist" is used in an awards competition, it should not be held to the whims of the masses, or the opinions of the recording publishers who hold a monopoly over popular music. Call it "Top Female Recording Star" or something, but artist has no place in there. If the Oscars were run the way the Grammys were, Twilight would sweep(not saying the Oscars are run well, but better than the Grammys). There's a reason that the MTV people's choice awards are there...to appease that crowd. Artistically, how do Ms. Swift's songs compare with that of others? What's the lyrical integrity of her works? What's her message and how is it channeled through her music? You have to have significant artistic merit to earn the right to being vlaimed "Artist of the Year" in terms of music. I do not believe her music suffices, and in my opinion, her works are very simple, stereotypical, and flat. They're good background fodder with the odd catchy hook, but her music is not in the upper echelons of releases this year or last year. Popularity-wise, yes, she's right up there, but artistically, she's not. That's absolutely fine, and again, I think she fits her marketed audience very well and I wish her great success as she's worked very hard for it, but she hasn't earned such a title yet.

who would you rather have that award then?

As I said in the prior post, I don't know yet who I'd rather have the award. It would depend on whether we'd be considering 2008 releases or 2009 releases, and even then, it's a toss-up between a decent number. The last two years have been incredibly good for music, so it really makes it hard for me to declare someone as the best. I could if I spent a few hours, but I don't feel it necessary, as it's not like I'm giving an award out :P.

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
she's not much of a singer, but at the very least she writes her own music....AxeStrangler
yeah to me a song writer with an average voice beats out someone who has an amazing voice but lets other people write for them
aRE-you-AFraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 aRE-you-AFraid
Member since 2006 • 3234 Posts
She's also my future wife.
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 FUBAR24
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="groovdafied"][QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"]

So i guess Kanye is owned? She beat out Michael Jackson also :shock:

More like thanks to Kanye, she's now popular.

I dont get it, do people really not know that she was already selling millions of albums before that even happened and had a HUGE fan base??

its because people here despise country, her first album went platinum in less than a year and that was like 3 years ago
Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 Doctor-McNinja
Member since 2009 • 1515 Posts
Um, Thom Yorke released new music this year. I'm sure Taylor Swift is a better artist than him though.
CyleM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#68 CyleM
Member since 2004 • 2546 Posts
I don't like her, I really don't think she is country and she kinda looks like a pig to me...
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

shes nowhere close to micheal jackson.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
I don't like her, I really don't think she is country and she kinda looks like a pig to me... CyleM
Eh, she's about as country as most country singers/bands are these days. :P Which is to say not much, seeing as popular country is more of a hybrid than anything.
CyleM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#71 CyleM
Member since 2004 • 2546 Posts
[QUOTE="CyleM"]I don't like her, I really don't think she is country and she kinda looks like a pig to me... Lockedge
Eh, she's about as country as most country singers/bands are these days. :P Which is to say not much, seeing as popular country is more of a hybrid than anything.

yeah you are right there... I'm not a big country fan, but my wife is... and it just seems like country is more pop than country these days...
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 FUBAR24
[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="CyleM"]I don't like her, I really don't think she is country and she kinda looks like a pig to me... CyleM

yeah you are right there... I'm not a big country fan, but my wife is... and it just seems like country is more pop than country these days...

unfortunately thats where most of the newer country stars have gone atleast lyrically
Avatar image for wiistation36000
wiistation36000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 wiistation36000
Member since 2009 • 215 Posts

This is the equivalent of Obama getting the nobel peace prize :|

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Taylor Swift's not my type of music but I don't really have a problem with her winning. There are much worse artists out there. What I have a problem with is all the awards Michael Jackson was nominated for/won...we get it, he died and he was one of the most influential artists in history. But why the hell are they giving awards to him for an album released in 2003?
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="CyleM"]I don't like her, I really don't think she is country and she kinda looks like a pig to me... CyleM

same. Not much country these days.
Y2Jfan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Y2Jfan23
Member since 2009 • 898 Posts
Not a fan of her music but she deserved to win. She writes her own songs and almost every song on her debut album became a top 10 hit.
DooMsDaYRangeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 DooMsDaYRangeR

[QUOTE="Lilyanne46"]

Meh, I think they gave sympathy to her because Kanye called her out. :lol:

jakarai

That whole thing was staged.

It wasn't staged. Kanye has done that same thing a while back. He is a racist.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#78 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Good for her. I'm glad they didn't ride the pity wagon for MJ.
wildjango64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 wildjango64
Member since 2009 • 3537 Posts

Yes congrats to her. Anyone else think Taylor looks like Michael Keaton?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Yes congrats to her. Anyone else think Taylor looks like Michael Keaton?

wildjango64
:shock: Whoah, she does. That's a stunning observation you've made there. Congratulations to Taylor Swift.
Avatar image for imthemostwanted
imthemostwanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 imthemostwanted
Member since 2008 • 988 Posts
i actually quite like her music. plus she's achieved a hell of a lot. she's only nineteen and is already a multi-platinum selling artist, has hosted SNL, won a TON of awards
Lucifericus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Lucifericus
Member since 2009 • 363 Posts

Taylor Swift. In the last name replace the w with h, remove letter f and you get my opinion of Taylor and her music.

auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#83 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
Well it's been a bad year.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
I think it is right that she beat out MJ. He didn't do anything this year but die.
darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 darkIink
Member since 2006 • 2705 Posts
she's not much of a singer, but at the very least she writes her own music....AxeStrangler
true but: "...she wears short skirts I wear t shirts..." yeah GREAT writing there :roll: (not to you, to her) I went on a road trip this weekend with friends. every girl wanted the pop radio stations so I ended up listening to that song a least 20 times on the 5 hour drive and back. why do people even like this? the line "you belong with MMMEEEEee........eeeeeeeee..........." sounds so bad and forced. do people just like it because everyone's doing it?
solidte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 solidte
Member since 2005 • 3616 Posts

Unexpected but whatever people like her music. It's ok.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#88 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
Well, congrats to her.
Avatar image for Mercury_May2112
Mercury_May2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Mercury_May2112
Member since 2007 • 2507 Posts

Good for her. I actually like her music. She's not bad at all.

Anarchy4hire82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Anarchy4hire82
Member since 2009 • 828 Posts

Music is ****ed. Seriously. :x

I hate her music. It makes my ears bleed. D: (Not literally)

Lilyanne46

is this the best they can do? Out of all the musicians, singers, songwriters across the world, Taylor Swift is the be all end all best......sounds like a coup to sell albums to me...

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#91 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Her music is crap. Her singing is terrible. And its sad that passes for popular. At least I have the option of shutting the radio off or changing the channel when she comes on. The whole show sucked I just wished the Eagles game was a little more interesting.