Survey indicates strong libertarian inclination among world's intellectual elite

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

What are the politics of the super-intelligent? A nationwide poll just taken among members of the Triple Nine Society (TNS), a worldwide super-high IQ group, shows the surprising result that their views on most issues are closer to libertarian than to either Democratic or Republican positions.

Membership in this group requires a documented IQ score in the top one-tenth of one percent of the general population, corresponding to an IQ of approximately 150 or higher. Only 5% of those who qualify for Mensa, the better-known IQ society, have IQs high enough for admission to TNS.

Link to survey results

I think this thoroughly debunks the myth often spread here that libertarians are just a bunch of loons and stupid teenagers.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
As with any group....libertarians have their positives and their negatives within.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

Unfortunately, possessing a high level of intelligence doesn't mean you'll have good beliefs.

Interesting nonetheless. Thanks.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Is there a way to get rid of stupid bible quotes in people's sigs?
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Each individual person who considers himself or herself a libertarian might have a different set of beliefs that contradict another's viewpoint of libertarianism. For example, there are Libertarians who support government programs for the unfortunate (these people are called "bleeding-heart libertarians") and libertarians who support the pro-life movement due to their own convictions and their concept of "limited government" and/or basic human rights. This goes for any other political label out there.

So I don't see the point of this thread...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Each individual person who considers himself or herself a libertarian might have a different set of beliefs that contradict another's viewpoint of libertarianism. For example, there are Libertarians who support government programs for the unfortunate (these people are called "bleeding-heart libertarians") and libertarians who support the pro-life movement due to their own convictions and their concept of "limited government" and/or basic human rights. This goes for any other political label out there.

leviathan91
I've heard of bleeding heart liberals....never libertarians though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts
Randian world order incoming. And I'm sure this is an attempt by the TC to prove his superior intelligence.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
You've misunderstood. The libertarians on this forum are a bunch of loons and idiot teenagers. The evidence supports this handily. Also lol the top answer for the death penalty here was make more use of it. Good libertarians.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

LJS9502_basic

I've heard of bleeding heart liberals....never libertarians though.

Yep they exist. Basically they do support free markets but they also support government aid for the worst off or whatever. They actually have their own article on wikipedia and Gary Johnson considers himself a Bleeding-heart Libertarian.

Actually I have no idea why I posted this in the first place. My head is going places. :P

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
what does your cute tumblr prove
Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
Chow_Mein_Kampf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chow_Mein_Kampf
Member since 2012 • 6203 Posts

Is there a way to get rid of stupid bible quotes in people's sigs?Jebus213

Oh Jebus................You cray-cray..........

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I don't think IQ has anything to do with being rational, but that might be a bit of evidence against the idea that libertarians are completely ignorant and have no idea what their talking about. Maybe ?
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dkdk999
You've misunderstood. The libertarians on this forum are a bunch of loons and idiot teenagers. The evidence supports this handily. Also lol the top answer for the death penalty here was make more use of it. Good libertarians. Ace6301
Ya the liberal posters here are all wise middle aged men.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Libertarians on this forum are teenagers.

Rule of thumb.

Teenagers are stupid.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ace6301
You know looking around that page and I gotta say: How isn't there a decent web designer in a group of over 1000 people of 150 IQ or greater?
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

I hope this is a joke, and you aren't really tring to imply this proves you aren't a loon

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

It is much easier to exploit people in a libertarian society, so it makes sense that smart people and business owners would support it.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Unfortunately the randians lower the average IQ of the group to near 0.
MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts
Living Expenses Of The Poor - No subsidies these are some really dumb geniuses
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Not surprising.

The intellectual elite are more likely to be wealthy elite as well. And if you have the resources then libertarianism is by far the best system for you.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Laihendi
[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]Living Expenses Of The Poor - No subsidies these are some really dumb geniuses

Please explain why it is dumb to believe that living expenses should not be subsidized.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Laihendi

what does your cute tumblr proveVanHelsingBoA64
That Elijah Wood is a respected figure among the intelligentsia.

Unfortunately the randians lower the average IQ of the group to near 0.kuraimen
Can you substantiate this claim?

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kuraimen
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]Living Expenses Of The Poor - No subsidies these are some really dumb geniuses

Please explain why it is dumb to believe that living expenses should not be subsidized.

If you have a society where a large portion of the population has their basic needs not covered and or has a living situation that is far worse than a small part of the same population then the chance of revolt/resentment/revolution increases. In other words it creates a dysfunctional society that is not good for anyone except if you can build a fort with walls and defense systems to protect yourself like it happened in the middle ages but we thankfully outgrew those models.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kuraimen

[QUOTE="VanHelsingBoA64"]what does your cute tumblr proveLaihendi

Unfortunately the randians lower the average IQ of the group to near 0.kuraimen
Can you substantiate this claim?

The fact that randians have a theory about human nature that completely contradicts the accepted scientific research is proof enough. They are the political equivalent of the creationists.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
Funny how defensive people are getting.......
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ace6301
Funny how defensive people are getting.......Mafiree
This happens all the time with the libertarians here. They post stupid crap trying to defend their stance and then get torn apart.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts
Funny how defensive people are getting.......Mafiree
Meh, I've grown used to Libertarians waving their high school diplomas at everyone while telling them to educate themselves. It doesn't really phase me anymore.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

[QUOTE="Mafiree"]Funny how defensive people are getting.......mattbbpl
Meh, I've grown used to Libertarians waving their high school diplomas at everyone while telling them to educate themselves. It doesn't really phase me anymore.

would you feel better if they had political science degrees or something?

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mafiree
[QUOTE="Mafiree"]Funny how defensive people are getting.......Ace6301
This happens all the time with the libertarians here. They post stupid crap trying to defend their stance and then get torn apart.

Was meant at both sides really...... I don't understand how appealing to the authority of any "intellectual elite" has to do with the validity of arguments.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="Mafiree"]Funny how defensive people are getting.......Storm_Marine

That's not necessary. I'd feel better if they stopped telling people who are more educated than they are to become educated, though.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] Meh, I've grown used to Libertarians waving their high school diplomas at everyone while telling them to educate themselves. It doesn't really phase me anymore.mattbbpl

That's not necessary. I'd feel better if they stopped telling people who are more educated than they are to become educated, though.

more educated in what?

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Laihendi

The fact that randians have a theory about human nature that completely contradicts the accepted scientific research is proof enough. They are the political equivalent of the creationists.kuraimen
Please explain how Rand's theories contradict accepted scientific research. These claims mean nothing if they can't be substantiated.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="Mafiree"]Funny how defensive people are getting.......Mafiree

Was meant at both sides really...... I don't understand how appealing to the authority of any "intellectual elite" has to do with the validity of arguments.

The issue is more that he's appealing to the authority of "intellectual elites" because he can't manage to create a valid argument in normal discussion. I think you're mistaking the other sides mockery as mockery in reaction to having their ideas attacked whereas it's actually mockery like if someone was revealed to have soiled underwear.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Laihendi
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]Living Expenses Of The Poor - No subsidies these are some really dumb geniuses

If you have a society where a large portion of the population has their basic needs not covered and or has a living situation that is far worse than a small part of the same population then the chance of revolt/resentment/revolution increases. In other words it creates a dysfunctional society that is not good for anyone except if you can build a fort with walls and defense systems to protect yourself like it happened in the middle ages but we thankfully outgrew those models.

You seem to be confusing a libertarian constitutional republic with feudalism.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

more educated in what?

Not to point too fine a point on it, but lately (since the election, particularly) my Libertarian friends have gotten rather militant and, during our discussions which we tend to have on a regular basis, they've taken to having rather nasty comments towards those in our group with degrees in economics. I think the worst we've had was a recent discussion in which one stated they were idiots for not supporting a return to the gold standard and then went off into a tangent regarding how economists who weren't educated in the Austrian school of economics wasted their degrees.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Laihendi
Also any people so destitute that they are unable to cover their own basic needs would be incapable of successfully revolting against a first-world government.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]The fact that randians have a theory about human nature that completely contradicts the accepted scientific research is proof enough. They are the political equivalent of the creationists.Laihendi

Please explain how Rand's theories contradict accepted scientific research. These claims mean nothing if they can't be substantiated.

1) humans can be and are individualists. All research shows the highly social and dependable nature of humans. 2) selfishness is a driving force for society and progress while altruism is detrimental. All research shows that cooperation and altruism are main traits in social species and a crucial factor not only in their evolution but in the development of higher cognitive functions. That basically means that selfish individualistic species don't develop big brains and there goes all of Rand's delusions of grandeur to the trash can.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mafiree
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] This happens all the time with the libertarians here. They post stupid crap trying to defend their stance and then get torn apart.

The issue is more that he's appealing to the authority of "intellectual elites" because he can't manage to create a valid argument in normal discussion. I think you're mistaking the other sides mockery as mockery in reaction to having their ideas attacked whereas it's actually mockery like if someone was revealed to have soiled underwear.

Meant both sides broadly (not necessarily people in this thread) I remember a thread a few weeks ago talking about how states that voted democrat had higher levels of education on average. (Basically the same thing here) Judging ideas by their merits is defiantly the way to go though.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
You've misunderstood. The libertarians on this forum are a bunch of loons and idiot teenagers. The evidence supports this handily. Also lol the top answer for the death penalty here was make more use of it. Good libertarians. Ace6301
mhm
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dkdk999
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] Was meant at both sides really...... I don't understand how appealing to the authority of any "intellectual elite" has to do with the validity of arguments.

Meant both sides broadly (not necessarily people in this thread) I remember a thread a few weeks ago talking about how states that voted democrat had higher levels of education on average. (Basically the same thing here) Judging ideas by their merits is defiantly the way to go though.

You can't expect the posters here to be that rational.
Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts

Laihendi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRNGpATRCrI