Stupid lines of thinking that average people adapt

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 NewOrder1984
Member since 2017 • 80 Posts

Here is a list.

- "I should take up exercise because I want to reduce weight"

If you want to reduce weight, it is better to change the diet and never choose to focus on the exercise. There is an exception to that condition. If you like exercising, then you should choose the exercise option. What the average person doesnt understand is the mental and physical effort that it takes to reduce weight with exercise without changing the diet much. Resistance or/and interval training are the two most efficient ways to reduce weight. But very few people would persist training for months. Why?!? because they dont like Resistence/Interval training, but they would like to reduce weight! and that is a mistake. The reason a person is overweight lies somewhere in something going badly with his diet not because of choosing a more passive lifestyle.

- "Reading books is good for you. You should read books."

That statement is only true in specific cases such as when you are at the academic stages of your life. In fact, books consume too much time for the gains they give you. Unless you use books to pass boring time, dont pick up that hobby... trust me I tried it. Ask yourself, why you need the book you are going to buy, and is it crucial for you to read it.. Books also cost me quite a bit to buy.Instead prefer watching documentaries or reading articles from the internet.

- "Gaming is a waste of time, you should do something more productive"

After 25 years of gaming. I can say that I dont want to give up even one year of gaming instead of doing something else. Games helped me when I felt low or very bored... of course if you have more important things in life to do than game such as work/study/social life, set gaming as the second priority.

Those were the stupid lines of thinking on my mind recently. What do you think?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Hello! My name is NewOrder1984, and these are random thoughts I have!

(mandatory image, given your name)

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NewOrder1984

@R3FURBISHED: You posted that post because of my user name..lolz

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@neworder1984: I only partly disagree with the gaming thing. No, gaming isn't productive, unless you're involved in the production of games. For the vast majority of people, they're simply CONSUMING.

Same thing with watching movies or listening to music. You're being productive when you channel your influences into actually making something (hopefully worthwhile, but not necessarily so). If you're just consuming the stuff and then not doing anything with it, then I think it's 100% accurate to say that you're not being productive.

Where I disagree is the idea that "not being productive" equals "a waste of time".

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I read books because it distracts me from reality, same goes for video games. Both also have their benefits.

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NewOrder1984

@MrGeezer: True. But you work to be able to afford your games, right?

You also want games to determine your leisure time, right?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

"It's cold out today, therefore global climate change isn't real"

Weather =/= Climate

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

exercise to reduce weight certainly works. simple but not easy

personally i exercise because i want to be fit. the weight loss is just a side benefit.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

Here's my list:

Conflating factual errors in thinking with methodical errors: The guy who thinks that to reduce weight he needs to exercise is missing factual information. His thinking is correct. And the guy who's saying his thinking is wrong does not know the difference between validity and soundness. This guy, the critic, is our 'average' guy here. The other guy's case is not sure.

Thinking books aren't an efficient method of learning: It depends on the book you're reading, gentleman. If you want to learn statistics, pick up a statistics book, not 'A Song of Ice and Fire'. If you want life tips, pick up books from people who succeeded and thought over their success, who are famous for their advice, like Warren Buffet or Charles Munger, and of course put down your Harry Potter book. Books are a tool; a tool is only as efficient as the task you put it to. No amount of hands on learning is ever going to resolve your existential issues but 20 minutes of reading Camus every day may do just that.

Conflating factual errors in thinking with methodical errors again: People who say gaming is a waste of time are simply missing the knowledge that it is not necessarily a waste of time. But the guy who blames them of being average is definitely average if he still can't discern soundness from validity.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

This was bad