Student loan debt is more than credit cards or car loans

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
The federal student loan program seemed like a great idea back in 1965: Borrow to go to college now, pay it back later when you have a job. Surging above $1 trillion, U.S. student loan debt has surpassed credit card and auto-loan debt. This debt explosion jeopardizes the fragile recovery, increases the burden on taxpayers and possibly sets the stage for a new economic crisis. Story here. Ron Paul wants to get rid of the federal student loan program. Thoughts, opinions? Moody's Analytics doesn't think government loans and subsidies are particularly cost-effective.
Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
Because college is more expensive than those two things?
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
At least the money is being used well.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
education and health are important
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I don't see how getting rid of the federal student loan program would solve this problem when private student loans are lent at a much higher interest rate.
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

I don't see how getting rid of the federal student loan program would solve this problem when private student loans are lent at a much higher interest rate. -Sun_Tzu-

I suppose if the free market principle was put in place and you allowed universities to compete for the students this would drive prices down.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I don't see how getting rid of the federal student loan program would solve this problem when private student loans are lent at a much higher interest rate. Philokalia

I suppose if the free market principle was put in place and you allowed universities to compete for the students this would drive prices down.

Universities already do that.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

The federal student loan program seemed like a great idea back in 1965: Borrow to go to college now, pay it back later when you have a job. Surging above $1 trillion, U.S. student loan debt has surpassed credit card and auto-loan debt. This debt explosion jeopardizes the fragile recovery, increases the burden on taxpayers and possibly sets the stage for a new economic crisis. Story here. Ron Paul wants to get rid of the federal student loan program. Thoughts, opinions? Moody's Analytics doesn't think government loans and subsidies are particularly cost-effective.topsemag55

Germany has a free system of college that you take after high school. Upon deciding a preference for a particular field, you then go to the appropriate school and get a degree for whatever you desire to be involved with.

It's free. Socially subsidized. (I know that's a negative word in the US, but realistically that's what is going to happen anyway and we might as well embrace it. Sounds a lot like the healthcare issue too....)

If the US is going to try and shape it's future in more productive ways, then I suggest we begin by looking at our peers and modeling after them. Clearly something is working in Germany and it's high time we took note.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Hopefully I finish my degree before this bubble bursts.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

Student loan debt, credit card debt and car loan debt all have one thing in common. They are all completely avoidable to the individual person.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
haha take that america
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Getting rid of federal student loan program...

Derp.

I wouldn't have been able to go to school without as with most people in college. No matter what he says, private companies cannot pick up the slack.

PiscesChick93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 PiscesChick93
Member since 2008 • 10732 Posts

It's a good job I enjoy my degree then

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
I don't see how getting rid of the federal student loan program would solve this problem when private student loans are lent at a much higher interest rate. -Sun_Tzu-
^this
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

We should follow the models of the U.K. and Sweden.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
At least the money is being used well.Tylendal
This. Cutbacks can be made in numerous other areas that would not be missed. Such as funding to keep Big Pharma and Big Oil doing their things.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
This is how we will become slaves of the state.
StRaItJaCkEt36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StRaItJaCkEt36
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
probably should just make college education more exclusive so it becomes more valuable again. It's pretty worthless these days.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wasdie  Moderator

probably should just make college education more exclusive so it becomes more valuable again. It's pretty worthless these days.StRaItJaCkEt36

Try getting a decent salaried job without schooling today and then tell me how worthless secondary education is.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BluRayHiDef

probably should just make college education more exclusive so it becomes more valuable again. It's pretty worthless these days.StRaItJaCkEt36

Each level of education has become less exclusive and subsequently less prestigious. Hence, undergraduate degrees have become the new high school diploma, and graduate degrees have become the new undergraduate degrees.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
Yea, student loan debt is getting ridiculous now. However, I don't think there's much that we can do.
StRaItJaCkEt36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 StRaItJaCkEt36

[QUOTE="StRaItJaCkEt36"]probably should just make college education more exclusive so it becomes more valuable again. It's pretty worthless these days.Wasdie

Try getting a decent salaried job without schooling today and then tell me how worthless secondary education is.

I wasn't using the word worthless that way. :)
StRaItJaCkEt36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StRaItJaCkEt36

[QUOTE="StRaItJaCkEt36"]probably should just make college education more exclusive so it becomes more valuable again. It's pretty worthless these days.BluRayHiDef

Each level of education has become less exclusive and subsequently less prestigious. Hence, undergraduate degrees have become the new high school diploma, and graduate degrees have become the new undergraduate degrees.

Exactly, so it hurts more people in the end, because it's more challenging to obtain an undergraduate degree than it is to finish high school. But people are alright with this. They don't mind being exploited by the educational institutions who make billions of dollars off of them. when they are essentially getting the same kind of job their parents got with less education.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="StRaItJaCkEt36"]probably should just make college education more exclusive so it becomes more valuable again. It's pretty worthless these days.StRaItJaCkEt36

Exactly, so it hurts more people in the end, because it's more challenging to obtain an undergraduate degree than it is to finish high school. But people are alright with this. They don't mind being exploited by the educational institutions who make billions of dollars off of them. when they are essentially getting the same kind of job their parents got with less education.

I want a cheeseburger right now.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts
best chance is to get out while you can...
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wasdie  Moderator

Anyways, debt is apart of life. If managed correctly, using things like auto loans and mortgages can get you ahead in life much quicker.

You *can* live near debt free but it's a much more tedius process. Unlike what people want you to believe, banks don't try to screw you whenever possible. Loans and some CC debt isn't the end of the world. You just have to manage it correctly.

People who get in trouble with debt usually are ones who don't think things through. There will always be unlucky people who get hit with massive medical bills, or their house is burnt down and their crappy insurance didn't cover it properly and stuff like that, but if you've got a good head on your shoulders and a stable income, you can really minimize the chances that something like that will happen to you and be able to have a little debt.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

wait what?

"Complicating the picture further: Like child support and income taxes, student loans usually can't be discharged or reduced in bankruptcy proceedings, as can most other delinquent debt. This restriction was extended in 2005 to also include student loans made by banks and other private financial institutions."

So if you get a student loan now from a private bank and go bankrupt you're still on the hook for life for it? The fkuc?

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Planet_Pluto

wait what?

"Complicating the picture further: Like child support and income taxes, student loans usually can't be discharged or reduced in bankruptcy proceedings, as can most other delinquent debt. This restriction was extended in 2005 to also include student loans made by banks and other private financial institutions."

So if you get a student loan now from a private bank and go bankrupt you're still on the hook for life for it? The fkuc?

comp_atkins

Sounds good to me.... or you'll have everyone going to school and upon graduating, promptly filing for bankruptcy.

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dynafrom
Member since 2003 • 1027 Posts

Pick a good major.

Problem solved.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 l4dak47

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

wait what?

Planet_Pluto

Sounds good to me.... or you'll have everyone going to school and upon graduating, promptly filing for bankruptcy.

Yes, because that's exactly what everyone will do. You do realize there are consequences to filing for bankruptcy?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

wait what?

l4dak47

Yes, because that's exactly what everyone will do. You do realize there are consequences to filing for bankruptcy?

FREEDOM
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

wait what?

l4dak47

Those consequences will expire before student loans would be repaid in many instances.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 l4dak47

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]Sounds good to me.... or you'll have everyone going to school and upon graduating, promptly filing for bankruptcy.

Planet_Pluto

Those consequences will expire before student loans would be repaid in many instances.

Yea, meanwhile, they'll have a hard time even getting an apartment or a car or even a job.
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Planet_Pluto

wait what?

comp_atkins

May I ask, what should be the recourse if someone does not repay their student loan(s)? If someone doesn't make their auto loan payments. The car can be repossessed. If someone fails to pay their mortgage, people may face foreclosure. So again, what should the repercussions be to failing to repay this type of debt?

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="l4dak47"] Yes, because that's exactly what everyone will do. You do realize there are consequences to filing for bankruptcy? l4dak47

Yea, meanwhile, they'll have a hard time even getting an apartment or a car or even a job.

Thats the same crap I hear people whining about because they have to pay their loans back.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 l4dak47

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]Those consequences will expire before student loans would be repaid in many instances.

Planet_Pluto

Thats the same crap I hear people whining about because they have to pay their loans back.

Yea, that's what tends to happen when universities bend you over and fvck you for every cent they can get.
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

Pick a good major.

Problem solved.

Dynafrom

I wanna be a theator major, daddy.

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dynafrom
[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

wait what?

May I ask, what should be the recourse if someone does not repay their student loan(s)? If someone doesn't make their auto loan payments. The car can be repossessed. If someone fails to pay their mortgage, people may face foreclosure. So again, what should the repercussions be to failing to repay this type of debt?

If you don't pay your student loans, your loans go into collections. Then the collection agency will call you nonstop, probably bring you to court and have your wages garnished. If they wanted, they can put the loan against your social security. Your credit rating will also tank, and subsequently you'd get the absolute worst rates for mortgages, and autos (if they even qualify you). You would not be able to secure ANY banking job, or jobs that run background checks. Any questions?
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BluRayHiDef

Anyways, debt is apart of life. If managed correctly, using things like auto loans and mortgages can get you ahead in life much quicker.

You *can* live near debt free but it's a much more tedius process. Unlike what people want you to believe, banks don't try to screw you whenever possible. Loans and some CC debt isn't the end of the world. You just have to manage it correctly.

People who get in trouble with debt usually are ones who don't think things through. There will always be unlucky people who get hit with massive medical bills, or their house is burnt down and their crappy insurance didn't cover it properly and stuff like that, but if you've got a good head on your shoulders and a stable income, you can really minimize the chances that something like that will happen to you and be able to have a little debt.

Wasdie

Based on this post and your stance on lax gun laws in the U.S., I'd say that you're a poster boy for the status quo. Shame. The system has programmed you well. Very well.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

wait what?

Dynafrom

If you don't pay your student loans, your loans go into collections. Then the collection agency will call you nonstop, probably bring you to court and have your wages garnished. If they wanted, they can put the loan against your social security. Your credit rating will also tank, and subsequently you'd get the absolute worst rates for mortgages, and autos (if they even qualify you). You would not be able to secure ANY banking job, or jobs that run background checks. Any questions?

A perfect reply.

I was askingComp because he seemed to imply that people should be able to just walk away from their student loan debt via bankruptcy.

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dynafrom

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="l4dak47"] Yea, meanwhile, they'll have a hard time even getting an apartment or a car or even a job. l4dak47

Yea, that's what tends to happen when universities bend you over and fvck you for every cent they can get.

How do they **** you over? Did someone hold a gun to your head when you signed your loans? Maybe you shouldn't have majored in underwater basket weaving, and partied away at school.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]Thats the same crap I hear people whining about because they have to pay their loans back.

Dynafrom

How do they **** you over? Did someone hold a gun to your head when you signed your loans? Maybe you shouldn't have majored in underwater basket weaving, and partied away at school.

Well, college prices are ridiculous.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts
Maybe you shouldn't have majored in underwater basket weaving, and partied away at school.Dynafrom
maybe you shouldn't be such a ridiculous and presumptuous little sh!te? idk
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

College tuition needs to go down, that's the big thing. People need to have the option of going to college, but one year at a private school should not cost more than your entire pre-college education (which it does, my town spends $11,669 for the entire 13 years of education before college per student. Many colleges charge $50,000 per year).

I do not believe for a second that tuition needs to be as high as it is, its bad for the students and its bad for the economy. The colleges like it because they get paid directly by the banks, so there's no risk in not getting their money back, meaning they'll have more available for educational tools, technology, and scholarships, and banks like it because they can seriously collect afterward. It needs to change though. College is far too expensive and the pay off isn't there.

The worst thing is I have so many friends who plan on going to $50,000 a year private schools with majors like Architecture and English. They aren't getting their money back, they're smart, but they're going to get screwed with the debt. Everyone thinks that all previous generatoins had to pay back a $200,000 student loan, they have no idea how wrong they are.

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dynafrom
[QUOTE="Optical_Order"]

[QUOTE="Dynafrom"]

Yea, that's what tends to happen when universities bend you over and fvck you for every cent they can get. l4dak47

Well, college prices are ridiculous.

Then evaluate your ROI by picking a right major. For example what I did: Enter a double degree program BBA + BSc Took on a paid internship every "summer"; netted well over $20k during each of these. Graduate from school with a year+ of professional experiance; get your certifications (i.e Professional Engineer) and get a 6 figure job before you graduate. Did I party at school? Yeah. Did I party everyday? No.
Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dynafrom
[QUOTE="Dynafrom"]Maybe you shouldn't have majored in underwater basket weaving, and partied away at school.T_P_O

Another liberal arts major? How's flippin burgers working out for you?
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts
[QUOTE="T_P_O"][QUOTE="Dynafrom"]Maybe you shouldn't have majored in underwater basket weaving, and partied away at school.Dynafrom

Lol, it's pretty great having people prove your point for you, to be sure
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 l4dak47

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]Thats the same crap I hear people whining about because they have to pay their loans back.

Dynafrom

Not even in college, man. Yes, no one will hold a gun to my head when I sign the loans, but in this day and age, you're going to need a degree to even hold a basic job anymore. And fyi, I'm going to major in accounting so stfu.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
[QUOTE="T_P_O"][QUOTE="Dynafrom"]Maybe you shouldn't have majored in underwater basket weaving, and partied away at school.Dynafrom

rofl, yeah tpo oh and no fries dynafrom is already making them
Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dynafrom

College tuition needs to go down, that's the big thing. People need to have the option of going to college, but one year at a private school should not cost more than your entire pre-college education (which it does, my town spends $11,669 for the entire 13 years of education before college per student. Many colleges charge $50,000 per year).

I do not believe for a second that tuition needs to be as high as it is, its bad for the students and its bad for the economy. The colleges like it because they get paid directly by the banks, so there's no risk in not getting their money back, meaning they'll have more available for educational tools, technology, and scholarships, and banks like it because they can seriously collect afterward. It needs to change though. College is far too expensive and the pay off isn't there.

The worst thing is I have so many friends who plan on going to $50,000 a year private schools with majors like Architecture and English. They aren't getting their money back, they're smart, but they're going to get screwed with the debt. Everyone thinks that all previous generatoins had to pay back a $200,000 student loan, they have no idea how wrong they are.

RandomWinner

This is exactly what I saw in school. Programs like "Art History" or "Philosophy" rammed with 2000+ students who pay a ridiculous amount of money to qualify them for what? A barista at Starbucks?

You don't even need to be a math genius to calculate that with a 120k+ loan @ 6.5%+ has a minimum monthly payment of 1k+. Kind of hard to pay when you only make 30k~ a year, especially when you only pay the minimum (which would probably stay with you for 30 years).