Strengths and Weaknesses of the Canadian military?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeathHeart95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#51 DeathHeart95
Member since 2008 • 2541 Posts
Strengths: Maple Syrup makes it incredibly easy to climb trees Weaknesses: They're part french
Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts

[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]Well most people don't care about the Canadian military and most people don't care about the soliders who have died, but I appreciate the Canadian military.
Their size is a weakness but they are trained very well, it makes me sick how so many people always disrespect the Canadian army..

I find it weird the Canadian military helps out in Afghanistan because most people don't know Canada is even helping out and no one cares about the soliders who die..

Now I am not sure if this is true or not, but I heard a few groups of people in America who have a party every single time a Canadian solider dies.. Why do we help them in Afghanistan if they think it's funny when a Canadian dies??

Meh, at least the Canadian army is the best trained :)

Here is a real Canadian navy ship

Chutebox

That seems like BS to me. First I've ever heard of it.

But from what I hear from my cousins who live in Canada, yall do have a well trained military.

EDIT!

Doesn't Canada hold a good amount of oil in their land? If so, watch out! Maybe you guys will be invaded soon!

ITs oil sands, VERY useless.

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts

[QUOTE="Buck_Hotep"]

Canada's military is based similar to the US and the UK. Their weapons are pretty much either bought from the US or the UK. They are well-trained or the US wouldn't have signed treaties with them after WWII to help in defending the continent from any Soviet invasion by way of the Bering Strait. Could they wage war on another nation? Not really, but they're not set-up to be that kind of military.

RearNakedChoke

If by weapons you mean rifles. They're manufactured by Colt Canada and are actually built differently, and to higher standards than the American M-16. It's the reason why the British SAS use the Canadian C-7 instead of the M-16 (when they're not using British rifles). If you're talking about other weapons, a ton of their vehicles are Canadian. In fact, the American Stryker was based off of the Canadian designed LAV-III. They use the best tank in the world, the German Leopard 2A6. Etc.

They have a very high standard of training and are well respected in military circles for their efforts in WW1 and WW2, as well as in the Middle East. In fact Canadian soldiers have been awarded American awards many times, the Canadian special forces were to be presented with medals by the President Bush but declined, not wanting to be placed into the spotlight.

this man speaks the truth.
foolio_67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 foolio_67
Member since 2003 • 8866 Posts

We have a higher level of technology then most nations, but not compared to other first world countries. The Canadian military is underfunded and is just very small.

Memberino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 Memberino
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts
Enough with these awful threads!
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

Strenghts: Everything
Weaknesses: None

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

I was wondering what you all thought about the Canadian military and whether or not its a force to be appreciated?stupiddk

Well trained, decent equipement (M16/M4 clones. etc), decent vehicles (but lack of good battle tanks), a few F-18's, some old submarines which are useless to us and not many soldiers.

It works though, Canada doesn't need to maintain military presence anywhere but Afghanistan for now.

metalpower08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 metalpower08
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="joshrocks2245"][QUOTE="daftdog"]

Do Canada have a military? I thought the US looked after them?

We are the ones who have to look after the American soliders in Afghanistan, trust me, i've heard stories from Canadian soldiers ;)

Hope you don't believe them...

I'm not saying it can't be true, but come on...

My bro is in Afghanistan and my cousin is driving the LAV. They hate working with the Americans, they feel like they have to train them from the beginning.
metalpower08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 metalpower08
[QUOTE="The_Ish"]

Strength: Average soldier is better trained than the average American Army soldier. and they have some of the best Spec Ops in the world.

Weaknesses: Small military, no Marines.

why do we need marines, In the states apparetnly the marines are better trained than the regular army, But in Canada our army is just as well trained, why do we need a title like the marines?
metalpower08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 metalpower08

Yup, deffinately what a military should look like.

whitechocolate_

K that is obviously a joke and they were doing it for **** and giggles

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

daftdog
we always had a military come on we were in Afghanistan in ww1 and 2 we just dont invest all out money into it like the US
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#62 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Strength- still have one of the best trained infantries in the world. A Canadian also hold the record for longest kill by a sniper rifle. Weakness- When their air units and naval units are the punchline of a joke, you know that something is wrong. Plus, not a lot of people liked the idea of signing up for the military, and the lack of funding doesn't help either.
metalpower08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 metalpower08

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

The Canadian army is the best trained..

OH and also the Americans can't take over Canada easily, I know all Americans say this but if they tried Canada is too big.
They can't even stop fighting in Iraq, imagine how long it would take to defeat Canada.

joshrocks2245

I wasn't referring to America, just in general lol.

Well, considering there are many French in Canada, it will be much easier. :D

(Don't take last part seriously)

Lawl, yeah you can take the french, not the others though :P

haha, we'll give you the french!

jk, or maybe not, I bet they wouldnt mind:P

0diablo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 0diablo0
Member since 2004 • 670 Posts

Agreed with pretty much everyone else, very well trained but small in numbers. That doesn't really matter though. Considering The United States relies so heavy on us for resources they wouldn't let a single thing touch us.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Strengths: Our use of 18th century weapons will baffle the enemy. Then the bear and moose calvary are upon them.

Weaknesses: None. Didn't you read the part about the goddamn bears and moose?

Hot-Tamale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Hot-Tamale
Member since 2009 • 2052 Posts

Canadian Military?Chutebox

lol isn't that an oxymoron?

XBebop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 XBebop
Member since 2003 • 1414 Posts

Canadian troops are some of the best trained in the world, next to Israeli and Swiss troops. Unfortunately, the Canadian military is absolutely miniscule and has almost no funding, so in an actual war it would rely on terrain, cunning, and allied help.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

[QUOTE="southy787"]I think a major weakness is it's Moose Cavalry.TorpidStarch

Have you never seen a moose?!

You called?
josh494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#70 josh494
Member since 2008 • 841 Posts
Canada has a military? For realz?
MTB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MTB15
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
dude the cdn militARY HAS POLAR BEARS WITH LASERS LIKE CYCLOPS
Holyknight_CJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Holyknight_CJ
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

Very interesting topic guys! I am in the Canadian Army and my spouse is in the Canadian Navy. The Canadian Military may be small in size, but it is quite strong in force! We are well known all over the world for our peacekeeping missions, and it is very well known we are in Afghanistan. We are ALL trained extensively and for all conditions. We train closely with the U.S. Military, and that's including for our mission in Afghanistan. Canadians are very proud of their military, and are honoured by the ones who have lost their lives. We have a main highway in Ontario, Canada that is named in honour of Canadian Soldiers, and when a fallen soldier comes home from Afghanistan the plane is met with family and friends. There is a ceremony performed for the soldier. Then there's a huge parade of vehicles that travel with the soldier on this highway. Hundreds of people line up on the overpasses and to the side of the highways saluting these heroes. Fire departments line up with their trucks and wearing their dress uniform, police officers do the same and just our regular folk all come out to honour every one of our fallen heroes. I have pictures but don't know how to post them! But I just thought I would share that with you! 1CDNMP

Route 401 aka Highway of Heroes aka the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway. It is the busiest freeway in North America (yes busier than any US road). I live In Pickering and thus the vehicle parade goes through my suburb (technically a city, but a suburb of Toronto) on its way to Oshawa. You should see all the flags at the overpasses, just yesterday on the cover of the paper two trucks with ladders from the fire department had a flag suspended between their raised ladders.

Holyknight_CJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Holyknight_CJ
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Strengths? Snipers. Weaknesses? Funding and enlistment numbers... which basically means everything else.

However, our military is much better suited towards peace keeping than it is straight-up conflict.

Hilariously, just recently in Afghanistan, they marked the first instance of sending troops into battle via helicopter... in the history of the Canadian military.

snakes_codec

didn't Canada take part in Nam wouldn't they have gotten experience from in that war of dropping troops in from Helis ?

We took part in Korea, but not Vietnam. Something to do with international law and ethical warfare, I'm not really sure, but Canada puts great stress on UN and stuff like that. While many American draft dodgers fled to Canada, 30 000 Canadians signed up for the US military to fight in the war including fifty members of the Mohawk tribe (seriously). 110 died, another 7 are permanently mia. One was awarded the Medal of Honor. As Canada was not officially in the war its veterens were given little support, and to this day are not officially commemorated on Rememberence Day.

Similarly, many Americans joined the Canadian military to fight in WW1 and WW2 before America officially entered the wars.

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Carl_W21
Member since 2004 • 2021 Posts

Wow, this topic is just open for americans to make jokes about canada and gloat about their huge military and budgets when they have no idea they have just seen too many war movies.

Why would Canada a country about 10 times the size of the UK with half the population have a large powerful military ?

Why would they need one too ? Do they have oil greedy leaders ?

effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#76 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

___

FastNorwegian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 FastNorwegian
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"][QUOTE="daftdog"]

We are the ones who have to look after the American soliders in Afghanistan, trust me, i've heard stories from Canadian soldiers ;)

That's not entirely true, and pretty rude to say. Especially when America has a little bit more of a superior war-hammer than Canada does. I love how, besides the fact that about 1-100 people on GS have not been in the military, foreign countries bomb on Americans for doing awful. America has clearly taken the hardest part of everything in the war, and again, excluding the fact that non-of you know how hard it is to fight insurgency (not an army), they have stuck up for pretty much all of Europe in the past, and has had to be the one to intervene in just about everything. Who led the coalition charge? US. Who took the spearhead of the war? Marines. American marines. I'm sorry, I'm a fellow military-man, and I do really enjoy America, and it just bothers me when, (especially foreign countries) rip on them, when the United States would always do their best to intervene and help out a foreign effort. You'd swear NATO doesn't even exist anymore the way some of you act :roll:
FastNorwegian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 FastNorwegian
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts
You should all be ashamed of your selfs here you are making fun of the nation that defeated america in 1812 took over detroit and what does america do go to vietnam the stupidest thing ever to do americas lost many wars canada may have lost battles but not wars think about vimy ridge canada lost 11,000 troops going in there and France lost 150,000 men and america in ww11 was pitifull they could take out germany and japan by them selfs blind folded but they didnt they were wimps wene japan attacked they got all pissy and declared war if it wasnt for hitler declaring war on america then america wouldnt of even attacked germany and newfoundland a country of 300,000 people declared war on germany wene it began america stop being selfish.donovanbyrd
You coward, besides the fact that you are totally incorrect, America has never lost a war, they have retreated, but certianly not lost, but you are a total coward for making a new account because you are afraid of being banned for your stupid statements.
fordhonda230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 fordhonda230
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Dude were have you been? lol

fordhonda230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 fordhonda230

I was wondering what you all thought about the Canadian military and whether or not its a force to be appreciated?stupiddk

You know what, many brave Canadians have lost their life to help our neighbors the Americaians who seem to donothing but put us down!!!! And for no reason!!!! Canada is a great and beutiful place, we trully are free here! And we our proud of our soldiers who have given their life for us to live free. I have heard many stories and seen video of Canadian combat over seas. Someone who graduated from my highschool died over their not long ago and i know many people that knew him and he was a brave, awsome person who wanted to serve their county good! We dont need to take any BS from anyone and you dont know how much it frustrates us to constantlyhear that we are not supported from you down south. NOT NEEDED!But that is my and many of ours opinion.

lzorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 lzorro
Member since 2006 • 7395 Posts
Canadian Military?Chutebox
My exact same thoughts
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

*looks at OP date*

Hmm ;)

fordhonda230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 fordhonda230
[QUOTE="FastNorwegian"][QUOTE="joshrocks2245"][QUOTE="daftdog"]

That's not entirely true, and pretty rude to say. Especially when America has a little bit more of a superior war-hammer than Canada does. I love how, besides the fact that about 1-100 people on GS have not been in the military, foreign countries bomb on Americans for doing awful. America has clearly taken the hardest part of everything in the war, and again, excluding the fact that non-of you know how hard it is to fight insurgency (not an army), they have stuck up for pretty much all of Europe in the past, and has had to be the one to intervene in just about everything. Who led the coalition charge? US. Who took the spearhead of the war? Marines. American marines. I'm sorry, I'm a fellow military-man, and I do really enjoy America, and it just bothers me when, (especially foreign countries) rip on them, when the United States would always do their best to intervene and help out a foreign effort. You'd swear NATO doesn't even exist anymore the way some of you act :roll:

ya but we dont wast money on every little thing that we might or might not need.....
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
Old thread is old. But yeah, I'd say our military is pretty small. From what I can tell, base security is minimal(at least at the air force bases), which doesn't really look good on us. Makes me a tad bit nervous actually. Our equipment is pretty old too, although lately we've taken steps to amend that. However, we're highly trained, we work hard, and we're quite efficient...at least we have been over in Afghanistan.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

[QUOTE="FastNorwegian"][QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

fordhonda230

ya but we dont wast money on every little thing that we might or might not need.....

True, our budget is much lower. Yet, our army has been holding the fort in a lot of areas in Afghanistan and while we haven't taken a lot of casualties (RIP to our brave soldiers) it's been a drain on us, and the USA infusing extra support across all of Afghanistan really has made a difference.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

[QUOTE="freek666"].Hey_Jay

This picture is not accurate.

We only rented the gun.

I am Canadian and I literaly ROFL after that comment!

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

[QUOTE="donovanbyrd"]You should all be ashamed of your selfs here you are making fun of the nation that defeated america in 1812 took over detroit and what does america do go to vietnam the stupidest thing ever to do americas lost many wars canada may have lost battles but not wars think about vimy ridge canada lost 11,000 troops going in there and France lost 150,000 men and america in ww11 was pitifull they could take out germany and japan by them selfs blind folded but they didnt they were wimps wene japan attacked they got all pissy and declared war if it wasnt for hitler declaring war on america then america wouldnt of even attacked germany and newfoundland a country of 300,000 people declared war on germany wene it began america stop being selfish.FastNorwegian
You coward, besides the fact that you are totally incorrect, America has never lost a war, they have retreated, but certianly not lost, but you are a total coward for making a new account because you are afraid of being banned for your stupid statements.

America lost Vietnam and losing Iraq. Why? They had no plan.

majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 majwill24
Member since 2004 • 1355 Posts

Wow, this topic is just open for americans to make jokes about canada and gloat about their huge military and budgets when they have no idea they have just seen too many war movies.

Why would Canada a country about 10 times the size of the UK with half the population have a large powerful military ?

Why would they need one too ? Do they have oil greedy leaders ?

Carl_W21

The US needs a huge military because of the constant drivel about "human rights" violations that come out of Canada and most especially Europe. I guess canada can be excused slightly because your country dont have the resources to vastly increase the size of your armed forces, the same can not be said for the EU. The EU are the strongest voices in the world for "human rights" yet they spend so little money and blood. The EU have a population of almost 500 million and a GDP of 17 trillion!

Oh well, the US wont have the economy to support such a large force before the end of the next decade, so I wonder where all the European and Canadian human rights champions are going to turn to enforce their agenda, China? dont make me laugh, they arent stupid and wont allow you turn them into some puppet to fight and die for some ridiculous "human rights" doctrine

SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#89 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

I heard a something about WW1. The German soldiers feared no enemy becuase they thought the Kaiser was some sort of divine being that watched over them and protected them.

However when they faced Canadian soldiers they soiled themselves with fear.

Not sure why this would be except that in WW1 Canadian soldiers were like "shock troopers" The were the first ones to go in on an assualt and they caused a hell of a lot of damage from what I have heard.

As for today, I would have to say that any army that trains in a frigid climate is gonna be tough. But really here in the states we don't really hear much of anything about Canada's modern military. But most of us, except for the most ignorant, knows that it exists.