WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Proposed laws would crack down on protesters who block roadways with one state allowing for drivers who accidentally run over protesters to not be charged and another to charge protesters convicted of illegally protesting for the enforcement needed.

More states should institute laws making it illegal to protest with any sort of mask or face covering. Own your protesting by showing your face I say. Good on Georgia for making wearing a mask illegal some time ago.

Should laws help those who could face possible charges with protesters running in front of their moving vehicle and getting hit?

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

We could fix societal issues that lead to problems such as this or we can just ban freedom of speech and assembly.

This is obviously a difficult question to tackle but since I'm not a fascist, I think the best solution is to actually fix societal issues instead of legalizing road rage and impeding freedom of assembly and speech.

Also, for people who constantly praise MLK and his peaceful protests, MLK blocked roads and his movement relied on violence from the other side in order to gain sympathy for his side.

Also, rioting =/= protesting if it makes you happy.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

I'm entirely 100% for drivers when it comes to blocked roadways by protestors. I'm also for making it illegal to hide your identity when protesting.

Cover every inch of the sidewalks if you wish with all the signs and screaming you want, but stay off the roads.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

If it means I'm also free to run over the people who take leisurely Sunday strolls through crosswalks, I fully support this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@drunk_pi said:

We could fix societal issues that lead to problems such as this or we can just ban freedom of speech and assembly.

This is obviously a difficult question to tackle but since I'm not a fascist, I think the best solution is to actually fix societal issues instead of legalizing road rage and impeding freedom of assembly and speech.

Also, for people who constantly praise MLK and his peaceful protests, MLK blocked roads and his movement relied on violence from the other side in order to gain sympathy for his side.

Free speech and assembly =/= blocking roads. Your freedoms can't impinge on another person's freedom. While it may seem like a great idea, preventing certain professionals from getting to their jobs can be life threatening.

TotalRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TotalRobot
Member since 2017 • 187 Posts

Blocking the road really is asking to die. There are jobs where the people who have them do have the legal right to run you over or even shoot you for being in their way. And there are jobs that not exactly legal where they don't have that right, but they'll exercise it anyway.

I'm all for these laws, if only to keep protestors from being shot at or run over by people who have absolutely no intention of stopping.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

The idea that this is suppressing freedom of speech is silly. Walking and entering highways on foot was always illegal. Along with blocking them without construction permits or first responder occupations. And crossing the street when you do not have the right of way for local roads is also illegal.

Just a fad to get more attention to a cause. And its a highly unproductive one at that. Stopping people from getting to work or home is not how you win support. But other than those things. Laws like this are necessary to protect drivers who can be held liable for a reckless individual. Like the college crowd that tried to block an American highway at night. And a girl who was not carrying a light, jumped in front of a car.

Loading Video...

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

lol you're a facist if you don't want people to illegally block highways?

Liberals are so lost, it's beyond hilarious.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I wish some protesters would try to block me. Speed up and see how fast they scatter.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I wish some protesters would try to block me. Speed up and see how fast they scatter.

Or just maybe a phony wannabe tough talking ignorant badass who wouldn't actually do shit and saves his badass attitude for the internet.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58382 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

enjoy your 6-11 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter when you run one over.

I hate it too, people, but shit...just take the long way around.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@drunk_pi said:

Impeding freedom of assembly and speech? How about impeding someone's right to access a highway? You ever thought someone's life might be in jeopardy because rescue vehicles can't get to them in time? Ever thought maybe, just maybe, these laws are being proposed for the SAFETY of these protesters on a HIGHWAY? But no, let's act like our first amendment rights are so important, it puts us in danger of being run over by people who just want to get where they're doing. The first amendment is important, but only to a certain degree.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 N64DD

@mrbojangles25 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

enjoy your 6-11 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter when you run one over.

I'd speed up too and claim people were trying to break into my car. I hope anybody driving in an ambulance or emergency vehicle gets up to 90 and just plows through all the idiots.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's bad enough that drivers here in Arizona have a piss poor record when it comes to yielding to pedestrians, especially on a Friday night when half of them are drunk or spacing out on weed. I wouldn't want to picture them with protesters on the same piece of real estate.

Our streets are littered with pretty crosses and flowers which mark a spot where someone died, usually involving a vehicle. Not all of them were in the vehicle.

The dangers of a hit n run are very real.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 N64DD

@jun_aka_pekto said:

It's bad enough that drivers here in Arizona have a piss poor record when it comes to yielding to pedestrians, especially on a Friday night when half of them are drunk or spacing out on weed. I wouldn't want to picture them with protesters on the same piece of real estate.

Our streets are littered with pretty crosses and flowers which marks a spot where someone died, usually involving a vehicle. Not all of them were in the vehicle.

Protesters should block railroad tracks. Republicans would definitely listen and given in then.

:D

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto
@n64dd said:

Protesters should block railroad tracks. Republicans would definitely listen and given in then.

I have kids and relatives their age. So, I can't throw stones. But, I think protesters should exercise a little common sense. A freeway is no place for people on foot at night.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#17 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

Blocking roads for protest should be illegal to begin with.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

This makes sense. If protesters were allowed to block traffic, a Trump-controlled USA will be stuck with 4-year road blocks.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

@n64dd said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Our streets are littered with pretty crosses and flowers which marks a spot where someone died, usually involving a vehicle. Not all of them were in the vehicle.

Railroad tracks are private property.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

That's great

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Drunk_PI

@JustPlainLucas said:
@drunk_pi said:

Impeding freedom of assembly and speech? How about impeding someone's right to access a highway? You ever thought someone's life might be in jeopardy because rescue vehicles can't get to them in time? Ever thought maybe, just maybe, these laws are being proposed for the SAFETY of these protesters on a HIGHWAY? But no, let's act like our first amendment rights are so important, it puts us in danger of being run over by people who just want to get where they're doing. The first amendment is important, but only to a certain degree.

It's already illegal to block a highway unless you have the proper permits and the police are aware of the path you're taking so they can block paths as long as it doesn't hamper traffic to a certain degree. This is just redundant.

It shows that the GOP solves problems that don't exist and if they do exist, ignore the underlying problem. It also shows the selective memory of people today.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Can we also have laws blocking non protesters from aimlessly walking in roads? And bicyclists as well.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

blocking the street while protesting ( assuming no previous arrangements w/ the city had been made ) should be illegal, running protestors over who are blocking the street ( assuming it could have been reasonably avoided ) should stay illegal

that being said, states will need to be careful of 1st amendment infringement.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@LJS9502_basic said:

Can we also have laws blocking non protesters from aimlessly walking in roads? And bicyclists as well.

Don't they have pedestrian and cycling laws where you live?

Here's ours for pedestrians and cyclists:

https://www.pagregion.com/tabid/489/default.aspx

https://www.pagregion.com/Default.aspx?tabid=486#Bicycle%20Traffic

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WhiteKnight77

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Don't they have pedestrian and cycling laws where you live?

Here's ours for pedestrians and cyclists:

https://www.pagregion.com/tabid/489/default.aspx

https://www.pagregion.com/Default.aspx?tabid=486#Bicycle%20Traffic

Exactly. In Georgia, bicycles are considered vehicles and are to be ridden in the street unless there is a dedicated bike/walking trail such as the Silver Comet Trail.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

Can't these protesters use common sense? Blocking in a high speed road isn't a wise idea. I don't know how well planned these protests are, but wouldn't it be possible to sort of announce them a week before they happen or so people know that this road or that intersection will be blocked?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@horgen: Something are planned weeks or months in advance, like planning for the Women's March starting shortly after President Trump was elected.

On the other hand, these protesters marching on highways are almost always spur of the moment. Marching on the highway in the National Capital Region during rush hour would never legally be given a thumbs up, it is bad enough with the normal flow of traffic.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 horgen  Moderator

@ad1x2 said:

@horgen: Something are planned weeks or months in advance, like planning for the Women's March starting shortly after President Trump was elected.

On the other hand, these protesters marching on highways are almost always spur of the moment. Marching on the highway in the National Capital Region during rush hour would never legally be given a thumbs up, it is bad enough with the normal flow of traffic.

Ah. Ok so in Norway it is normally not allowed to walk on the highway. Or next to it on the shoulder. A law like that would make some of these protests illegal without actually targeting them.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

In other news. After having been informed of the new law presented here in this thread, the car manufacturer Chrysler has released the concept art for their next car model.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

@n64dd said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I'd speed up too and claim people were trying to break into my car. I hope anybody driving in an ambulance or emergency vehicle gets up to 90 and just plows through all the idiots.

So you would murder them and then lie to the cops?

You sound like a real upstanding guy.

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts

@jak42 said:

The idea that this is suppressing freedom of speech is silly. Walking and entering highways on foot was always illegal. Along with blocking them without construction permits or first responder occupations. And crossing the street when you do not have the right of way for local roads is also illegal.

Just a fad to get more attention to a cause. And its a highly unproductive one at that. Stopping people from getting to work or home is not how you win support. But other than those things. Laws like this are necessary to protect drivers who can be held liable for a reckless individual. Like the college crowd that tried to block an American highway at night. And a girl who was not carrying a light, jumped in front of a car.

When I saw that video first, I really felt bad for the driver.

Goes to show that stupidity and sheep mentality are a dangerous mix.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WhiteKnight77

@horgen said:
@ad1x2 said:

Ah. Ok so in Norway it is normally not allowed to walk on the highway. Or next to it on the shoulder. A law like that would make some of these protests illegal without actually targeting them.

It is illegal for pedestrians, bicyclists, small motor driven bikes etc. to be on interstate/controlled access freeways. City streets are covered by jaywalking laws though if a permit is granted for a march, city streets can be used. I once posted a sign here on this forum showing exactly who or what is permitted on an interstate.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

When the tables turn, the other side is going to regret such a bill.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By N64DD

@xdude85 said:
@n64dd said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Not murder if it's self defense. I don't know what these nut jobs are going to do me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#36 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I consider myself on the left, and I would not want to put laws further restricting protest on the right wing when the pendulum swing happens and dems are back in power. There are already laws on the books about blocking roadways, and the government getting involved even more is not a good solution. I dont think any restrictions should be put into place to further hem in protest to certain spaces, like the appalling "free speech zones". I would rather condemn the people on both sides of the argument who stoke violence and monologue rather than dialogue. Too often I see people flipping over cop cars, busting shop windows and looting, then I hear the other side of the argument claiming these people have zero to complain about. Both sides are extreme, and thus I feel they are wrong, because they apply no measure in order to actually reach truth and compromise.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By N64DD

@hillelslovak said:

I consider myself on the left, and I would not want to put laws further restricting protest on the right wing when the pendulum swing happens and dems are back in power. There are already laws on the books about blocking roadways, and the government getting involved even more is not a good solution. I dont think any restrictions should be put into place to further hem in protest to certain spaces, like the appalling "free speech zones". I would rather condemn the people on both sides of the argument who stoke violence and monologue rather than dialogue. Too often I see people flipping over cop cars, busting shop windows and looting, then I hear the other side of the argument claiming these people have zero to complain about. Both sides are extreme, and thus I feel they are wrong, because they apply no measure in order to actually reach truth and compromise.

You're such a commie <3

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WhiteKnight77

@hillelslovak said:

As stated earlier, Georgia has a law against wearing masks. With all the BLM protests, including one that blocked the interstate one night, there were no riots or businesses suffering broken windows or any burned cop cars. People do have a right to protest, but no one has the right to destroy public or private property.

As far as blocking the roads, I have no issues with anyone being charged for the cost of enforcement if convicted of illegally protesting. As far as interstates go, enforce the laws already on the books that prohibit pedestrians on said highways, but as far as drivers running over protesters, they need protection as the protesters should understand that roads are for motor vehicles, not pedestrians not at a crosswalk (marked or unmarked).

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58382 Posts

@n64dd said:
@xdude85 said:
@n64dd said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Not murder if it's self defense. I don't know what these nut jobs are going to do me.

Force you to wear a pussy hat?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@WhiteKnight77 said:
@hillelslovak said:

As stated earlier, Georgia has a law against wearing masks. With all the BLM protests, including one that blocked the interstate one night, there were no riots or businesses suffering broken windows or any burned cop cars. People do have a right to protest, but no one has the right to destroy public or private property.

As far as blocking the roads, I have no issues with anyone being charged for the cost of enforcement if convicted of illegally protesting. As far as interstates go, enforce the laws already on the books that prohibit pedestrians on said highways, but as far as drivers running over protesters, they need protection as the protesters should understand that roads are for motor vehicles, not pedestrians not at a crosswalk (marked or unmarked).

Here in WA, pedestrians could run into the middle of the street, take a dump, wipe, and you would have to just sit there. We also have road signs to tell you that a sign warning you about a stop sign is ahead. Shit's crazy. Then you go down to Oregon, and there are 40 mile stretches of road with zero signs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@n64dd said:
@hillelslovak said:

You're such a commie <3

WE MUST LOVE AND SUPPORT ONE ANOTHERRRUHHHH!!!!!! WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT OUR CHAINS!!!!!!

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@hillelslovak said:

Here in WA, pedestrians could run into the middle of the street, take a dump, wipe, and you would have to just sit there. We also have road signs to tell you that a sign warning you about a stop sign is ahead. Shit's crazy. Then you go down to Oregon, and there are 40 mile stretches of road with zero signs.

Pedestrians in WA are bound by the same rules in other states.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/walk/Laws.htm

Pedestrians must yield to vehicles outside of marked crosswalks (except at an intersection.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@hillelslovak said:

Pedestrians in WA are bound by the same rules in other states.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/walk/Laws.htm

Pedestrians must yield to vehicles outside of marked crosswalks (except at an intersection.

I was not making an excuse or anything, just pointing out how insane our traffic rules can get. Like cannabis. If you are under 18 in Washington, you could be tested for thc, and your test could show 0.00 micrograms or whatever measurement they use, and still test positive. Weird things like that abound.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jun_aka_pekto
@hillelslovak said:

I was not making an excuse or anything, just pointing out how insane our traffic rules can get. Like cannabis. If you are under 18 in Washington, you could be tested for thc, and your test could show 0.00 micrograms or whatever measurement they use, and still test positive. Weird things like that abound.

At least people there get tested for drugs to keep them honest. Here, I see people high on drugs driving around and I'm wondering where the cops are? ;)

One time, there was a Dodge RAM weaving left and right on his lane. He came pretty damn close to hitting my car. When we pulled up to a red light, I shouted what the hell was his problem. He rolled his window down. I noticed his eyes were in a daze, maybe even a little bloodshot. But, he wasn't drunk. He then proceeded to give me the bird. Cussed me out too. I just gave a sigh and let it go. I just wanted to get home in one piece.

Here, we have a mix of young, impatient college kids and old (really old) "snowbirds" trying to escape the cold farther north. Dangerous combination. I'm surprised we're not in the top ten states with the most vehicular accidents.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 horgen  Moderator

@WhiteKnight77 said:

It is illegal for pedestrians, bicyclists, small motor driven bikes etc. to be on interstate/controlled access freeways. City streets are covered by jaywalking laws though if a permit is granted for a march, city streets can be used. I once posted a sign here on this forum showing exactly who or what is permitted on an interstate.

Then it sounds like the laws are already in place to prevent these protests....

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

Protesters who are violent and blocking access to entry (example: Milo events) or blacking highways should be dealt with force.

Im talking water cannons and gas, fucking nets to wrangle them up, even live ammo.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 WhiteKnight77

@horgen said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:

Then it sounds like the laws are already in place to prevent these protests....

The laws being floated are not to prevent protests, nor are those other laws, some add bite to existing laws whereas others do expressly prohibit protesters from using such areas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985f1128b98f
deactivated-5985f1128b98f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-5985f1128b98f
Member since 2007 • 1914 Posts

These idiot protesters that block highways and disrupt normalcy for large numbers of citizens are no different than the Westboro Baptist idiots harassing grieving parents at a funeral.

I've never understood why the Westboro scum is given permits to protest near the funerals of private citizens. Yes, you have a right to protest the government for a redress of grievance. But how does that translate to harassing people trying to bury their loved one. If I were in charge they could protest at that location the day before, or the day after, but not the day of the funeral.

Same principle when it comes to these protesters blocking public roads without permission. Yes, you have a right to protest, but you do not have a right to disrupt life for your fellow citizens. Not to mention possibly preventing life saving assistance from getting where it needs to go.

These ass hat protesters on the left could take some lessons from the Tea Party. Get your permits. Provide necessary trash and restroom facilities. Clean up after yourself when you're done. You'll get a lot more support from people when you are behaving yourself while making your point than you will being a douche bag while extolling us with your "wisdom".

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I've seen first hand the "effect" of blocking traffic for a protest. We've had several here in Winnipeg in the intersection of Portage Ave and Main St. All they do is piss off drivers and make them late. They don't care why they are protesting, or for whatever cause... they care that they are in the way of people getting home or to a Winnipeg Jets game.

And from my memory, a little while ago there was a "protest" on an interstate that turned riot down in the US where a bunch of truck drivers were assaulted, their trailers broken open and goods stolen from within. That's not a protest, that is criminal activity. So long as the protest remains peaceful, people should have the right to assemble wherever they please... but as soon as it turns violent, all bets are off.

Mohandas K. Gandhi shut down the Indian economy for days with entirely peaceful protest and won independence for his nation. Nobody but protesters were ever hurt. These modern crybabies should learn a thing or two from him.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Drunk_PI

@foxhound_fox said:

I've seen first hand the "effect" of blocking traffic for a protest. We've had several here in Winnipeg in the intersection of Portage Ave and Main St. All they do is piss off drivers and make them late. They don't care why they are protesting, or for whatever cause... they care that they are in the way of people getting home or to a Winnipeg Jets game.

And from my memory, a little while ago there was a "protest" on an interstate that turned riot down in the US where a bunch of truck drivers were assaulted, their trailers broken open and goods stolen from within. That's not a protest, that is criminal activity. So long as the protest remains peaceful, people should have the right to assemble wherever they please... but as soon as it turns violent, all bets are off.

Mohandas K. Gandhi shut down the Indian economy for days with entirely peaceful protest and won independence for his nation. Nobody but protesters were ever hurt. These modern crybabies should learn a thing or two from him.

For perspective, MLK shut down highways and bridges to get his point across and instigated violence. How?

Encouraged African-Americans to attend/sit in on "whites-only" area, which meant that they were breaking the "law." Violence ensues because of offended whites or the police, which led to sympathy for MLK's cause. We can all agree it was the right thing to do but if we were all thrown back in time with no hindsight, we would have very different opinions of MLK.

I agree though. Breaking into stuff, arson, and rioting is criminal, but it's a sign of a government that refuses to listen to the people. At this point, do we continue to suppress or do we actually listen and fix the root of the problem?

Just my two cents. People can argue that protests need to be "peaceful" but the whole point of protesting and civil disobedience is to disrupt society and make them listen.