Stargate fans, what series you recommend watching?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

I'll be honest, I did watch the movie as a young teen but never got around to watching the TV series in the late 90s. Needed to watch something new/old so Stargate comes to mind and just started with SG-1. Stargate: Atlantis any good?

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2144 Posts

Atlantis is better than the seasons 9-10 (the Ori arc) of SG1.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34664 Posts

I've only seen the one with McGyver. Pretty terrible stuff.

The movie with Kurt Russel was the shit though.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

SG-1 and Atlantis are dope. Enjoy.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

Missed out on the entirety of this series. It was either in syndication where I didn't know which local station aired it, or on cable, which I didn't have at the time.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@davillain said:

I'll be honest, I did watch the movie as a young teen but never got around to watching the TV series in the late 90s. Needed to watch something new/old so Stargate comes to mind and just started with SG-1. Stargate: Atlantis any good?

SG-1 is a pretty good sci-fi show for people who like sci-fi shows, meaning that it can lean into sci-fi tropes pretty heavily which isn't necessarily a bad thing for fans of the genre. I wouldn't say it's always consistent in quality over its 10 season run but few shows that run for anywhere close to that many seasons knock it out of the park with every episode.

Note that if you detect a difference in the production values, swearing, or amount of boobs you see over the course of the series, that's because it started as a Showtime original series before later moving to the SyFy network (Sci Fi at the time).

Atlantis was also decent. Different characters and different vibe but the same roots. Also you get to see some early Jason Momoa outside of a Baywatch context.

Stargate Universe was also good, and in some ways my favorite of the three. It got cut short without a proper ending which is too bad but it had a much grittier, darker vibe to it. Thematically it had more in common with the reimagined Battlestar Galactica.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I was a fan but I never been able to watch it. I would say, it you are interested, something popular on Netflix. Sci-Fi.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

I would just start at the beginning with SG-1 and then watch Atlantis.

Just keep in mind that it is pretty campy stuff most of the time, but that's part of the charm for me. The heroes win, the bad guys lose, and deep in the back of your mind even though everything is going wrong on screen you know everything is going to be OK. It's fun sci-fi with good stories, OK acting, set in a beloved universe.

Atlantis is also fun, I don't remember a lot of it but as a spinoff I remember it being pretty good.

Never finished Universe but I think quality-wise it is probably the best of the three. It's a lot more serious and heavy than SG-1 and Atlantis.

@byshop said:
@davillain said:

SG-1 is a pretty good sci-fi show for people who like sci-fi shows, meaning that it can lean into sci-fi tropes pretty heavily which isn't necessarily a bad thing for fans of the genre. I wouldn't say it's always consistent in quality over its 10 season run but few shows that run for anywhere close to that many seasons knock it out of the park with every episode.

Note that if you detect a difference in the production values, swearing, or amount of boobs you see over the course of the series, that's because it started as a Showtime original series before later moving to the SyFy network (Sci Fi at the time).

Atlantis was also decent. Different characters and different vibe but the same roots. Also you get to see some early Jason Momoa outside of a Baywatch context.

Stargate Universe was also good, and in some ways my favorite of the three. It got cut short without a proper ending which is too bad but it had a much grittier, darker vibe to it. Thematically it had more in common with the reimagined Battlestar Galactica.

Good summary.

I never finished Universe though I recall really enjoying the first half of the first season. Sounds like you recommend it?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

@mrbojangles25: Yes but be prepared to be disappointed when it suddenly stops with no story resolution because it got cancelled early.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I would just start at the beginning with SG-1 and then watch Atlantis.

Just keep in mind that it is pretty campy stuff most of the time, but that's part of the charm for me. The heroes win, the bad guys lose, and deep in the back of your mind even though everything is going wrong on screen you know everything is going to be OK. It's fun sci-fi with good stories, OK acting, set in a beloved universe.

Atlantis is also fun, I don't remember a lot of it but as a spinoff I remember it being pretty good.

Never finished Universe but I think quality-wise it is probably the best of the three. It's a lot more serious and heavy than SG-1 and Atlantis.

@byshop said:
@davillain said:

Good summary.

I never finished Universe though I recall really enjoying the first half of the first season. Sounds like you recommend it?

Thanks for the summary as well Byshop. As of now, SG-1 is where I'm starting, and will move into Atlantis eventually. The campy stuff I can work with so its all good.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator

@davillain: Yeah, def start with SG-1 and probably get at least most of the way through that one before you start Atlantis. Atlantis and SG-1 ran in parallel for a while towards the end of SG-1 but it never got as crazy as like the Arrowverse shows with 4-way crossover episodes. There were also a bunch of TV movies that came after that I certainly remember existed. Universe came after all of it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

The movie was pretty good, the shows where utter garbage.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

@vfighter said:

The movie was pretty good, the shows where utter garbage.

No, they where not.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@SOedipus: You can enjoy them, doesn't mean they weren't trash. I love most of the Fast and Furious movies, doesn't make them any less garbage though.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4384 Posts

@rmpumper said:

Atlantis is better than the seasons 9-10 (the Ori arc) of SG1.

those are fighting words....

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts

The movie was ok but the TV shows blew it out of the water. I was bummed when they cancelled Universe.