[SPOILERS]Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows Part One. Does it fail

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheStatusQuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheStatusQuo
Member since 2004 • 4994 Posts

Here's the review. Click Here

[spoiler]

The Harry Potter Franchise has been strong. A true saga written from the imaginative mind of J.K. Rowling spawning the success of several movies to take on the adaptation of the books.

There's plenty of magic and pop-culture magnetism, where an audience feels attached to Harry James Potter, Ronald Wesley, and Hermione Granger.

The two ending movies has plenty of pressure from movie goers to be epic, grand, and overall satisfying with magical expectations that no wizard can ever conjurer. It is one with incantations of long Latin based words, sighted with wand in hand.

As with any Harry Potter movie, the atmosphere of these last two movies hasn't lost any splendor of the Potter universe, even with the grim and serious tone that of the Deathly Hallows.

The tale of three brothers who sought a means of cheating death, with a delightful ability of creating a bridge, with their imagination to cross the other side, with weaving vine, root, and branching out, hath Death scoff to foil with cunning wit.

"Death be not proud, for some call me mighty and dreadful, art no so."

Death granted the three brothers the gift of riches and choice. One brother sought a powerful deadly wand that is lusted, feared, eventually taken by foe, after the brother murdered, and boasted of how invincible he was. The first brother died as he feel asleep, slain by another. The second brother wanted the gift of necro-observation-- the glancing of loved ones that have past to the neatherealm. Death gave this man the gift of an illusive experience of communicating with the dead through imagination, that the second brother drove himself mad. The final brother sought none of the folly of man. Only the cloak of death himself, to be invisible from death until a lifespan was fullfilled should he give his cloak to his own flesh and blood, and accept gladly his mortal fate the journey with death.

The order of the Phoenix--- the very symbol of an Egyptian bird, is one that dies and blazes away into a perpetual cycle of rebirth only to die and so forth--a path way against the Dark Lord, whence Voldemort and Harry are themselves the Horicrux and not objects alone are to be only considered as such.

Harry doesn't realize it yet, but to kill Voldemort, he must first die himself. It was the love of Harry's mom, that prevented the fatality of Harry, with the sacrifice of parental catering against the darklord, with their effort of protecting their only son. The theme is sacrifice. Power and magic isn't enough. But it is the very nature of sacrifice that is the ending result which is how Dolby met his death with his loving protection whilst saving Harry, Luna, Ron, and Hermione

The movie isn't about special effects. The direction is solidified with great carefulness where Voldemort grasp Professor Dumbledore's wand. A wand so powerful that even Voldemort hasn't a clue of it's potential as he laughs holding the essence of its power in a dark cold night, at the small island of the late Dumbledore.

If not a ether-realm of two universes where magic and reality clash. Where the ministry of magic, at odds with the normality of the muggles- the half breed of wizard and human, against the prejudice of the true-blood, bias of a full wizard of rite.

The locations are dramatic, gleaming the valleys of several highlands, to the icy forest covered with snow. It is nothing more than breathtaking, and it is the prelude to a movement that will intensify with some huge climax.

The movie leaves you wanting more--- making you feel like your interruption from actual reality unfair. This is a good thing. This is truly what I want before the finale.

To resolve the inevitable is to except complete self-destruction and sacrifice.

The actors Daniel, Emma, and Rupert should hail this project as the beginning of their careers by its seriousness.

My opinion of their acting ****is that they really give you that illusion that they are the characters and that they believe in their character. It translates with their puberty and coming of age as they are now adults. The dialog is believable. The music is a fulfillment of the tension and nature of the characters during scenario and location. There is balance. It is like no scale I've seen where a paperweight or feather easily out do each other due to the mass by its pound, ounce, or matter.
It is balance with adult complexity where Harry struggles to find himself has he reminisces about his part experiences.

For the first time, Harry has to make adult decisions with out the guidance of his elders. He finally is truly a wizard, even without his original wand.

Perhaps this story is more about excepting the tact of adapting to a difficult decision as it's theme. The crafting of a man and the understanding behind the things taught at Hogwarts.

The finale is coming soon. 2011 is almost here. July assumed. Probably pushed back to another date. To be announced..

[/spoiler] Mod Note: Spoiler warnings added, please remember to add spoiler warning.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

your review - if it's yours - is mostly a story recap and is thus full of major spoilers. please modify accordingly.

on topic - i don't like it. I've always thought Yates to be the weakest Potter film director, and his shortcomings show prominently in this latest installment. he's good with creating memorable moments through slick cinematography and setpieces, which Deathly Hallows has no lack of. but the film is ultimately bogged down by his inconsistent pacing and weak narrative. i am, once again, sorely disappointed.

PS. that particular scene - you know what - is disgusting to no end and has no business being in a Potter film. i have no problem with gore and violence, but that? that is freaking ridiculous.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
It was one of if not the best potter films....it stayed as true to the book as possible...there are no pacing issues....it was probably one of the most face moving 2 1/2 hour movies I've ever seen.... PS....that particular scene was in the Book :|
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
I loved it. My favorite of the series.Glad they decided to go with two parts.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

there are pacing issues. see? we can go about doing this all day if all you bother is to say no to yes. what i see is crystal clear though - Yates' obsession with moments and visual effects have resulted in his lack of finer touches in narrative that so defines Rowling's books.

PS. not in that way. i'm looking at page 306 and 7 now so don't think you can bluff your way outta this.

PPS. to give credit where it's due - once again the stellar cast did a fantastic job, and provided the film its saving grace.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
It's out already?
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
What was so bad about that particular scene?
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

there are pacing issues. see? we can go about doing this all day if all you bother is to say no to yes. what i see is crystal clear though - Yates' obsession with moments and visual effects have resulted in his lack of finer touches in narrative that so defines Rowling's books.

PS. not in that way. i'm looking at page 306 and 7 now so don't think you can bluff your way outta this.

PPS. to give credit where it's due - once again the stellar cast did a fantastic job, and provided the film its saving grace.

the only one I see bluffing is you..the movies was paced fine...(as well as it was in the book)....the embrace and kiss was in the book when the locket opened...jsut because it wasn't a peck on the cheek like you imagined....doesn't make it bad by any stretch........I think he conveyed Ron's jelousy and feelings on inadequacy perfectly precisely......it's saving grace?..:lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
Too many one sentence paragraphs; didn't read. On-topic: The film had severe pacing issues, struggling to leave the viewer time to reflect on what had happened. They included far too much of the conveluted nonsense that the casual / non-reader wouldn't understand, thus leaving less screen time for the important scenes and, ultimately, the splitting of the adaptation left it almost entirely without pay-off as a movie in it's own right.
hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
I don't think people around here know what "pacing issues" actually means. The movie's plot moved forward at a pace that was both engaging and thoughtful and I, as someone who had to read the final two books, was still completely able to understand and follow the plot. I'm certain there were a few pages, but in the end, judging it solely as a movie and not some sort of 100% media translation of another format, the movie was highly successful in what it attempted, in my eyes.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I don't have time to read that right now but I'd be happy to read it later. All in all I think that DH part one was very successful. I actually thought that it was a good adaptation. It also had striking cinematography - seriously beautiful. The performances were all strong and solid (even the weaker actors - like Emma Watson and occasionally Daniel Radcliffe - were great). The character development was some of the best of the series. It was hilarious, it was appropriately dark, it was sad, etc. It really had everything and I think that it's one of the best of the series so far.
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
It went downhill after HP3 The classic 3 were so amazing,heck,even the games were outstanding!
Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
I don't think people around here know what "pacing issues" actually means. The movie's plot moved forward at a pace that was both engaging and thoughtful and I, as someone who had to read the final two books, was still completely able to understand and follow the plot.I'm certain there were a few pages, but in the end, judging it solely as a movie and not some sort of 100% media translation of another format, the movie was highly successful in what it attempted, in my eyes.hokies1313
What and what?
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

No, it doesn't fail at all; it was fanstastic (Should've been longer, but still great). And Emma Watson was really cute. :oops:
On a side-note, I don't understand your poll at all.

hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
[QUOTE="hokies1313"]I don't think people around here know what "pacing issues" actually means. The movie's plot moved forward at a pace that was both engaging and thoughtful and I, as someone who had to read the final two books, was still completely able to understand and follow the plot.I'm certain there were a few pages, but in the end, judging it solely as a movie and not some sort of 100% media translation of another format, the movie was highly successful in what it attempted, in my eyes.kamikaze_pigmy
What and what?

My bad on the blue text, I don't know what happened there. What I was aiming to say (in my mind atleast, since apparently my hands have betrayed me) is that there were almost certainly going to be parts that didn't turn out exactly as they had in the book, that's always going to happen with things like turning a novel into a movie. However, to answer the first what, I stopped reading the Harry Potter series for a variety of reasons, but because of their popularity and the fact that they've all been turned into movies, the plot is something that is easily followable, even some of the "finer" details of plot some might miss if you don't read the book. Again, you can make all the claims in the world about the plots, but at the end if you've even just been watching the movies, you're not going to miss huge chunks of plot to the point where this movie is unfollowable.
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
Was it perfect? No... They left out many important stuff. However, it was the most faithful to the book, yet. Many scenes where directly from it. And it had tons of references and other stuff from the book, that only the people who read it will undestand. So, for me, that makes it my 2nd favorite movie (the 1st is GOF). I still hated that they were trying to force humor everywhere, though..
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I don't think people around here know what "pacing issues" actually means. The movie's plot moved forward at a pace that was both engaging and thoughtful and I, as someone who had to read the final two books, was still completely able to understand and follow the plot. I'm certain there were a few pages, but in the end, judging it solely as a movie and not some sort of 100% media translation of another format, the movie was highly successful in what it attempted, in my eyes.hokies1313

And what does it actually mean? :roll:

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GreySeal9

I think they should have made a single movie with lots of cuts and changes that runs 3 about three hours and 30 minutes.

Its rare that a movie is that long, but not unheard of.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="kamikaze_pigmy"][QUOTE="hokies1313"]I don't think people around here know what "pacing issues" actually means. The movie's plot moved forward at a pace that was both engaging and thoughtful and I, as someone who had to read the final two books, was still completely able to understand and follow the plot.I'm certain there were a few pages, but in the end, judging it solely as a movie and not some sort of 100% media translation of another format, the movie was highly successful in what it attempted, in my eyes.hokies1313
What and what?

My bad on the blue text, I don't know what happened there. What I was aiming to say (in my mind atleast, since apparently my hands have betrayed me) is that there were almost certainly going to be parts that didn't turn out exactly as they had in the book, that's always going to happen with things like turning a novel into a movie. However, to answer the first what, I stopped reading the Harry Potter series for a variety of reasons, but because of their popularity and the fact that they've all been turned into movies, the plot is something that is easily followable, even some of the "finer" details of plot some might miss if you don't read the book. Again, you can make all the claims in the world about the plots, but at the end if you've even just been watching the movies, you're not going to miss huge chunks of plot to the point where this movie is unfollowable.

Yeah, if you read the book. Otherwise, no, its not. Just consider all those super fast montages that they used to explain the Gregorovitch and Grindelwald parts. How is a non-reader supposed to follow that? How is that in any way clear? What about when Hermione talked about flesh memories? She never said what flesh memories were? How is a no-reader supposed to know what she is talking about?

The filmmakers don't properly explaininga huge number of the scenesor givethem context in this movie (which they actually did a decent, if flawed, job of in other movies despite fan's complaints about them). They just throw stuff at the viewer, expecting them to catch on. And with the exception of alot of the uneccesary camping stuff, they zipped through scenes at such a fast speed that theynever gave the characters time to reflect on the scenes and put them into their proper context with the film's narrativearc. Things just sort of happened, and then something else was happening, with not much of a segue in between.

For instance, in the book,after they learned about the Deathly Hallows at Xenophilius'shouse and escaped from it, they reflected on the Deathly Hallows and Harry started to piece together how they factored into his journey. That didn't happen at all in the movie. In the movie, they escaped the house and then, before they could do any reflecting, BAM! Snatchers! It was ridiculous. And people don't think the movie was rushed? :roll:

It's amazing that people are acting like this movie was less rushed than others. That's just plainly untrue. Since they were trying to be so "loyal", the movie was a mad dash to cram as much stuff in as possible. And the worst thing about it was that the filmmakers spent way too much time on camping. If they could have shaved some out that off, they could have made the more important scenes longer and given the viewer more context.

This movie was just plain sloppy IMO.

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#20 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
I haven't seen it yet, but i want to. I have heard that it is pretty good and the best movie yet out of the series, which in retrospect isnt really saying much
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
I haven't seen it yet, but i want to. I have heard that it is pretty good and the best movie yet out of the series, which in retrospect isnt really saying muchMichaeltheCM
Meh it was alright, however I've never been gaga over the films to be honest. I preferred the Half-Blood Prince. I thought the best part of the movie was the telling of the Deathly Hallows. I just about cringed at the dance scene half way through though, God was that bad.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GreySeal9

I haven't seen it yet, but i want to. I have heard that it is pretty good and the best movie yet out of the series, which in retrospect isnt really saying muchMichaeltheCM

This is just my opinion of course, but this movie isn't even close to the best, mostly because it was so poorly explained, but also because its not even a complete movie and doesn't really stand on its own. It just cuts off and all the suspense they built up evaporates.

I think people have lowered their standards for this movie because it is the finale.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
I liked it. Third one is still my favorite though.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GreySeal9

I liked it. Third one is still my favorite though. TheColbert

The third one was very well paced for a Potter film.

I'd say that either it or the 5th are my favorites.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreySeal9

Does anybody else see it as sort of ridiculous that after Half-Blood Prince which was a transitional, set-up film, we've gotten another transitional, set-upfilm? Its just so uneccesary. Half-Blood Prince left viewers with the exceptation that the finale would happen in the next film, but its really nothing more thana tease.

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

I'm sorry but those poll choices are awful, so I am not going to vote. I will say here that it does NOT fail, and to me it is the best of the series.

F0URZ3R0TW0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 F0URZ3R0TW0
Member since 2010 • 182 Posts

Its only part 1. Part 2 might blow our minds away though.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts
It was okay....not fantastic...just okay. Then again the book it's based on was the worst in the series so you can't expect too much.
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ultrabeatdown55
[QUOTE="GreySeal9
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ultrabeatdown55

[QUOTE="MichaeltheCM"]I haven't seen it yet, but i want to. I have heard that it is pretty good and the best movie yet out of the series, which in retrospect isnt really saying muchGreySeal9

This is just my opinion of course, but this movie isn't even close to the best, mostly because it was so poorly explained, but also because its not even a complete movie and doesn't really stand on its own. It just cuts off and all the suspense they built up evaporates.

I think people have lowered their standards for this movie because it is the finale.

Who lowers standards when a finale comes up? If anything, standards rise considerably.
TheStatusQuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheStatusQuo

your review - if it's yours - is mostly a story recap and is thus full of major spoilers. please modify accordingly.

on topic - i don't like it. I've always thought Yates to be the weakest Potter film director, and his shortcomings show prominently in this latest installment. he's good with creating memorable moments through slick cinematography and setpieces, which Deathly Hallows has no lack of. but the film is ultimately bogged down by his inconsistent pacing and weak narrative. i am, once again, sorely disappointed.

PS. that particular scene - you know what - is disgusting to no end and has no business being in a Potter film. i have no problem with gore and violence, but that? that is freaking ridiculous.

Jinroh_basic

It's my review. My wife was in bed with me, while I kept her up, writing it.

I loved the film and so did my wife.

I thought it was enjoyable and it was worth it.

TheStatusQuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheStatusQuo

I'm sorry but those poll choices are awful, so I am not going to vote. I will say here that it does NOT fail, and to me it is the best of the series.

Ultrabeatdown55

The polls aren't awful. It was done in a way to make people chuckle.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

it was very good, there were a few key moments from the book that I wished they had put in the movie, but I have to be realistic, they cannot put everything in there.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

What is with the poll options? Not only was it one of the best movies in the franchise but it was probably too faithful to the book for its own good. None of the options in the poll are applicable.

darkfantasy999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darkfantasy999
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Here's the review. Click Here

The Harry Potter Franchise has been strong. A true saga written from the imaginative mind of J.K. Rowling spawning the success of several movies to take on the adaptation of the books.

There's plenty of magic and pop-culture magnetism, where an audience feels attached to Harry James Potter, Ronald Wesley, and Hermione Granger.

The two ending movies has plenty of pressure from movie goers to be epic, grand, and overall satisfying with magical expectations that no wizard can ever conjurer. It is one with incantations of long Latin based words, sighted with wand in hand.

As with any Harry Potter movie, the atmosphere of these last two movies hasn't lost any splendor of the Potter universe, even with the grim and serious tone that of the Deathly Hallows.

The tale of three brothers who sought a means of cheating death, with a delightful ability of creating a bridge, with their imagination to cross the other side, with weaving vine, root, and branching out, hath Death scoff to foil with cunning wit.

"Death be not proud, for some call me mighty and dreadful, art no so."

Death granted the three brothers the gift of riches and choice. One brother sought a powerful deadly wand that is lusted, feared, eventually taken by foe, after the brother murdered, and boasted of how invincible he was. The first brother died as he feel asleep, slain by another. The second brother wanted the gift of necro-observation-- the glancing of loved ones that have past to the neatherealm. Death gave this man the gift of an illusive experience of communicating with the dead through imagination, that the second brother drove himself mad. The final brother sought none of the folly of man. Only the cloak of death himself, to be invisible from death until a lifespan was fullfilled should he give his cloak to his own flesh and blood, and accept gladly his mortal fate the journey with death.

The order of the Phoenix--- the very symbol of an Egyptian bird, is one that dies and blazes away into a perpetual cycle of rebirth only to die and so forth--a path way against the Dark Lord, whence Voldemort and Harry are themselves the Horicrux and not objects alone are to be only considered as such.

Harry doesn't realize it yet, but to kill Voldemort, he must first die himself. It was the love of Harry's mom, that prevented the fatality of Harry, with the sacrifice of parental catering against the darklord, with their effort of protecting their only son. The theme is sacrifice. Power and magic isn't enough. But it is the very nature of sacrifice that is the ending result which is how Dolby met his death with his loving protection whilst saving Harry, Luna, Ron, and Hermione

The movie isn't about special effects. The direction is solidified with great carefulness where Voldemort grasp Professor Dumbledore's wand. A wand so powerful that even Voldemort hasn't a clue of it's potential as he laughs holding the essence of its power in a dark cold night, at the small island of the late Dumbledore.

If not a ether-realm of two universes where magic and reality clash. Where the ministry of magic, at odds with the normality of the muggles- the half breed of wizard and human, against the prejudice of the true-blood, bias of a full wizard of rite.

The locations are dramatic, gleaming the valleys of several highlands, to the icy forest covered with snow. It is nothing more than breathtaking, and it is the prelude to a movement that will intensify with some huge climax.

The movie leaves you wanting more--- making you feel like your interruption from actual reality unfair. This is a good thing. This is truly what I want before the finale.

To resolve the inevitable is to except complete self-destruction and sacrifice.

The actors Daniel, Emma, and Rupert should hail this project as the beginning of their careers by its seriousness.

My opinion of their acting ****is that they really give you that illusion that they are the characters and that they believe in their character. It translates with their puberty and coming of age as they are now adults. The dialog is believable. The music is a fulfillment of the tension and nature of the characters during scenario and location. There is balance. It is like no scale I've seen where a paperweight or feather easily out do each other due to the mass by its pound, ounce, or matter.
It is balance with adult complexity where Harry struggles to find himself has he reminisces about his part experiences.

For the first time, Harry has to make adult decisions with out the guidance of his elders. He finally is truly a wizard, even without his original wand.

Perhaps this story is more about excepting the tact of adapting to a difficult decision as it's theme. The crafting of a man and the understanding behind the things taught at Hogwarts.

The finale is coming soon. 2011 is almost here. July assumed. Probably pushed back to another date. To be announced..

TheStatusQuo

To be honest, I only went to see it to sneak hugs and kisses from my hubby in the dark, in an unfamiliar territory, while getting lost in the fantasy of a wizard's tale on the screen. ;)

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="MichaeltheCM"]I haven't seen it yet, but i want to. I have heard that it is pretty good and the best movie yet out of the series, which in retrospect isnt really saying muchUltrabeatdown55

Who lowers standards when a finale comes up? If anything, standards rise considerably.

Well, maybe that's the case sometimes, but I just thought this movie was so undeniablysloppy, that I think everybody must have just relaxed their standards. *shrugs*

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GreySeal9

Seriously though, just look at the editing in this movie. I mean, the franchise has always had some shoddy editing, but this latest movie took it to a whole new level. Some of the scenes were cut off so abruptly with almost no transition to the next. It was so clear that they were rushing like mad to fit everything in.

And the plot was conveyed in such a ridiculously unfleshed sort of way.

Consider the Xenophilius Lovegood scene: after they are told about the Deathly Hallows, and they escape the house, they don'treally reflect on what they learned to convey the revelations that the story of the Hallows brought about. They just apparate into the forest, say a few words to eachother, and then BAM! Snatchers. The movie was obviously a mad dash to cram everything in, so I don't really get why people are acting like it was well paced. I think people just like how close it was to the book.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
I thought it was great and one of the best in the series. Very faithful to the book. Yeah, the middle with Harry, Hermione, and Ron living in the tent dragged on a little, but that part dragged on in the book too.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GreySeal9

I thought it was great and one of the best in the series. Very faithful to the book. Yeah, the middle with Harry, Hermione, and Ron living in the tent dragged on a little, but that part dragged on in the book too. Commander-Gree

Although it was technically faithful to the book (which is not always a good thing), I'm not really seeing how it did most of the plot, save for a few scene, justice. I mean, they pretty much cut corners on all the stuff that made the plot "connect" in order to cram everything in.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Commander-Gree

[QUOTE="Commander-Gree"]I thought it was great and one of the best in the series. Very faithful to the book. Yeah, the middle with Harry, Hermione, and Ron living in the tent dragged on a little, but that part dragged on in the book too. GreySeal9

Although it was technically faithful to the book (which is not always a good thing), I'm not really seeing how it did most of the plot, save for a few scene, justice. I mean, they pretty much cut corners on all the stuff that made the plot "connect" in order to cram everything in.

I understand what you're saying, but I've read the book twice and am so familiar with the plot that I just sort of glazed over the little details and focused on the major scenes (and there were a lot of them in this movie). One complaint i do have is that I didn't like how Dumbledore's back story and The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore was handled. For somebody who has never read the book, I can't imagine that the character of Grindelwald made any sense at all. I hope they go over more of it in Part 2.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Commander-Gree"]I thought it was great and one of the best in the series. Very faithful to the book. Yeah, the middle with Harry, Hermione, and Ron living in the tent dragged on a little, but that part dragged on in the book too. Commander-Gree

I understand what you're saying, but I've read the book twice and am so familiar with the plot that I just sort of glazed over the little details and focused on the major scenes (and there were a lot of them in this movie). One complaint i do have is that I didn't like how Dumbledore's back story and The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore was handled. For somebody who has never read the book, I can't imagine that the character of Grindelwald made any sense at all. I hope they go over more of it in Part 2.

I will admit that many of the major scenes were handled extremely well, i.e. Ron and the Horcrux, the amazing Ministry infiltration, the 7 Potters (I had a few complaints about that, but not enough to cancel out its awesomness).

Like you said, I thought the Grindelwald and Gregorovitch stuff was handled atrociously due to those short trippy flashes into Voldemort's mindthat I'm sure alot of people weren't able to follow (they should have been handled the way HBP handled flashbacks).

But what really annoyed me, as I said earlier, was the lack of reflection on the Deathly Hallows. I remember being amazed as the unfolding relevations in the book after they escaped Xeno's house and to have that skipped was annoying and I'm usually a person that has no problem with cuts.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Commander-Gree

[QUOTE="Commander-Gree"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I will admit that many of the major scenes were handled extremely well, i.e. Ron and the Horcrux, the amazing Ministry infiltration, the 7 Potters (I had a few complaints about that, but not enough to cancel out its awesomness).

Like you said, I thought the Grindelwald and Gregorovitch stuff was handled atrociously due to those short trippy flashes into Voldemort's mindthat I'm sure alot of people weren't able to follow (they should have been handled the way HBP handled flashbacks).

But what really annoyed me, as I said earlier, was the lack of reflection on the Deathly Hallows. I remember being amazed as the unfolding relevations in the book after they escaped Xeno's house and to have that skipped was annoying and I'm usually a person that has no problem with cuts.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Looking back on it, the movie went straight to the climax after leaving the Lovegood house. I'm sure the Deathly Hallows will be explained again in the next movie, and they will reflect on it then, but the whole tale of three brothers sequence in this movie would seem pretty pointless to somebody who hadn't read the book.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Commander-Gree"] I understand what you're saying, but I've read the book twice and am so familiar with the plot that I just sort of glazed over the little details and focused on the major scenes (and there were a lot of them in this movie). One complaint i do have is that I didn't like how Dumbledore's back story and The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore was handled. For somebody who has never read the book, I can't imagine that the character of Grindelwald made any sense at all. I hope they go over more of it in Part 2. Commander-Gree

Yeah, I know what you mean. Looking back on it, the movie went straight to the climax after leaving the Lovegood house. I'm sure the Deathly Hallows will be explained again in the next movie, and they will reflect on it then, but the whole tale of three brothers sequence in this movie would seem pretty pointless to somebody who hadn't read the book.

That being said, the three brothers animation was very beautiful.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Commander-Gree

[QUOTE="Commander-Gree"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

That being said, the three brothers animation was very beautiful.

Agreed. One of my favorite parts of the movie.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Commander-Gree"] I understand what you're saying, but I've read the book twice and am so familiar with the plot that I just sort of glazed over the little details and focused on the major scenes (and there were a lot of them in this movie). One complaint i do have is that I didn't like how Dumbledore's back story and The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore was handled. For somebody who has never read the book, I can't imagine that the character of Grindelwald made any sense at all. I hope they go over more of it in Part 2. Commander-Gree

I doubt that the major plot will be explained in the last movie at all.....

TGM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TGM_basic
Member since 2003 • 6299 Posts

It's pretty much on par with Half-Blood Prince. Ie, it's up there as one of, if not the, very best of the series.

Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#47 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

It was one of the best.:)

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts

Movie was epic the best one yet.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#49 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I went to see Part One on the day it came out and it was awesome. I thought it generally did the book justice. I can't wait for Part Two.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Seriously though, just look at the editing in this movie. I mean, the franchise has always had some shoddy editing, but this latest movie took it to a whole new level. Some of the scenes were cut off so abruptly with almost no transition to the next. It was so clear that they were rushing like mad to fit everything in.

And the plot was conveyed in such a ridiculously unfleshed sort of way.

Consider the Xenophilius Lovegood scene: after they are told about the Deathly Hallows, and they escape the house, they don'treally reflect on what they learned to convey the revelations that the story of the Hallows brought about. They just apparate into the forest, say a few words to eachother, and then BAM! Snatchers. The movie was obviously a mad dash to cram everything in, so I don't really get why people are acting like it was well paced. I think people just like how close it was to the book.

Obviously the characters reflecting on what they learned isn't important to the story. There are ALWAYS going to be more details in books than in movies, because to get a point across, the author has to literally tell the reader what is happening; while it can be much more subtly shown or implied in a film. To include every detail in the book would make a 10+ hour movie, which just is not efficient. Things have to be visually implied on film; rather than the characters reflecting onscreen, it gives time for the audience to do so.