Sorry, but American sport is terrible

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts

It just seems to me that most mainstream American sports (American Football, Baseball) are just an excuse for middle-aged men to get drunk and for megacorps to throw ads at you for 15 minutes on end.

I'd like to know how these sports are entertaining in any way, I just dont understand the merits of them.

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
American football is terrible, British football is way better :) The ice hockey looks interesting though but I never get to see any games
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts

well you're wrong. what a thread! ...

also here in american mainstream sports go like this

football>basketball>hockey>baseball

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zero9167
American football is terrible, British football is way better :) The ice hockey looks interesting though but I never get to see any gamestofu-lion91
honestly do you even know how the game is played?
Avatar image for swizz-the-gamer
swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 swizz-the-gamer
Member since 2005 • 8801 Posts
English football>American anything
-TRAUMA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 -TRAUMA-
Member since 2008 • 136 Posts

i agree, i tried to watch softball, it was so strange. all i heard was STRIKE, FOUL, FOUL, FOUL.

Then i watched the NBA, they were all black, that was scary

i watched american football, guys in tight shorts whippin each other on the arses

scary, scary sports

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts

[QUOTE="tofu-lion91"]American football is terrible, British football is way better :) The ice hockey looks interesting though but I never get to see any gameszero9167
honestly do you even know how the game is played?

It's too much like Rugby. I don't like the way they can run with the ball. I just prefer British football, tis all :)

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#8 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts
I'm sorry but every other countries sports out there are terrible. This includes cricket, even with its badass name, it can't escape my wrath (wrath being opinion).
xtn702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xtn702
Member since 2007 • 4203 Posts
Haha, ur trippin...
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

Australian Football > British Football > American Footbal.

/thread.

swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 swizz-the-gamer
I'm sorry but every other countries sports out there sucks. This includes cricket, even with its badass name, it can't escape my wrath (wrath being opinion). falconclan
Football>Rugby>American everything
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts

football manages physical toughness as well as mental

I love football. I think soccer is extremely bland.

-TRAUMA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -TRAUMA-
Member since 2008 • 136 Posts

Rugby>american football

cricket>baseball

British sport>american sport

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 falconclan
Lol, not enough American's are even on right now to help, its sort of a one sided battle as its 4A.M. + or - 2 hours here. Personally I don't see why you need to try and battle for this, I find soccer bland and boring, but most of the world would disagree with me. I don't care though, Football (American, you know the real kind) dominates.
swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 swizz-the-gamer
Lol, not enough American's are even on right now to help, its sort of a one sided battle as its 4A.M. + or - 2 hours here. Personally I don't see why you need to try and battle for this, I find soccer bland and boring, but most of the world would disagree with me. I don't care though, Football (American, you know the real kind) dominates. falconclan
No it's a bunch of morons running about in freaking knight armor smashing into each other.
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zero9167

English football>American anythingswizz-the-gamer
lol you've got to love how level headed SOME europeans are :)

swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 swizz-the-gamer

[QUOTE="swizz-the-gamer"]English football>American anythingzero9167

lol you've got to love how level headed europeans are :)

It's a scientific fact.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts
Lol, not enough American's are even on right now to help, its sort of a one sided battle as its 4A.M. + or - 2 hours here. Personally I don't see why you need to try and battle for this, I find soccer bland and boring, but most of the world would disagree with me. I don't care though, Football (American, you know the real kind) dominates. falconclan
Although I agree about soccer, NFL isnt that great. Rugby kicks its arse.
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 falconclan
[QUOTE="falconclan"]Lol, not enough American's are even on right now to help, its sort of a one sided battle as its 4A.M. + or - 2 hours here. Personally I don't see why you need to try and battle for this, I find soccer bland and boring, but most of the world would disagree with me. I don't care though, Football (American, you know the real kind) dominates. freek666
Although I agree about soccer, NFL isnt that great. Rugby kicks its arse.

Psh, **** the NFL, I hate it, College football buddy, I'm from Oklahoma, we dominate.
usaaaaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 usaaaaaa
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

American football has a deep strategy to it and is very physical. That's why I like it.

I hate ignorance, and yours is no exception TC. You have probably never played an organized American Football game on a team in an organized league, or even watched an entire game for that matter.

HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts

i cant stand american sport, sorry! Too much focus on individual players and their glory rather than teamwork.

Plus, they refuse to play like REAL men- get rid of the armour and play american football the way rugby is played! Half the fun is knowing you may die.

MasterKingMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MasterKingMP
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
American Football is my most favorite sport ever. Followed closely by hockey.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Heh. I'll never understand American Football, it should be called Handball since you barely use your feet.
xSIZEMATTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xSIZEMATTER
Member since 2008 • 7045 Posts
I love football and baseball. Just because you guys don't like them doesn't mean you have to trash them. Have respect for them at least, other than acting like a child. :roll:
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 falconclan
Heh. I'll never understand American Football, it should be called Handball since you barely use your feet.Black_Knight_00
I think it should be called something really vulgar and in your face. To the American side of American's it would be really... american... but to the christian side there would be an outcry. DEVIL SPORT they say. All they called it was **** you up ball.
usaaaaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 usaaaaaa
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

i cant stand american sport, sorry! Too much focus on individual players and their glory rather than teamwork.

Plus, they refuse to play like REAL men- get rid of the armour and play american football the way rugby is played! Half the fun is knowing you may die.

HellsAngel2c

Ignorance.

American Football is a team effort, you've obviously never played it before.

2nd part of your post is the most common reason on why non-Americans hate American football. "Play American football the way rugby is played!" That's the thing, it's not rugby-It's American football.

MasterKingMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MasterKingMP
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
[QUOTE="HellsAngel2c"]

usaaaaaa

Ignorance.

2nd part of your post is the most common reason on why non-Americans hate American football. "Play American football the way rugby is played!" That's the thing, it's not rugby-It's American football.

LOL no kidding. American Football is so coordinated, it has to be. Every player plays their posistion perfectly to help out another player. It's a great team effort, that's why when you watch the pro bowl, and they just throw players together on a team, it's not as exciting, because the guys aren't used to playing with these other players.

ColdRush88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ColdRush88
Member since 2008 • 1192 Posts

A very touchy subject. lol

I'm from England and the only sports I really enjoy are snowboarding, skateboarding and golf. (our) football I find dull most of the time. Rugby I don't like as half the game is just men rubbing up against each other. NHL is cool. NBA I find boring. Baseball I find boring. Cricket I find boring. Nascar I find boring.

American sports seem to be more about pride for your country than actual skill.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
I used to think European football was boring until I understood the skill needed to play it well. To do all those tricks without using your hands is fun to watch. Not to mention the lack of time-outs and non-stop 45 minute halves.
KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KOTORkicker

I'm sorry but every other countries sports out there are terrible. This includes cricket, even with its badass name, it can't escape my wrath (wrath being opinion). falconclan

Cricket does suck but... You cant say Football (european version) isnt entertaining or that Tennis isnt.

Sorry if I left out basketball, that is actually quite a good game...:)

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

Rugby, Lacrosse and Hockey > Everything

And yes kids, I play rugby, and played lacrosse and hockey for a good number of years, played american football too, tried british football, but, I'm useless at sports where I don't hit people.

Oh Canada!

KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KOTORkicker

I love football and baseball. Just because you guys don't like them doesn't mean you have to trash them. Have respect for them at least, other than acting like a child. :roll: xSIZEMATTER

I'm not trashing American Football or Baseball I'm just asking what makes them stand out from the crowd and what the good things about them are.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts

Basketball is easily the best sport

Hockey is pretty cooool

Football is alright

-

2-1 American sports

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 H8sMikeMoore

A very touchy subject. lol

I'm from England and the only sports I really enjoy are snowboarding, skateboarding and golf. (our) football I find dull most of the time. Rugby I don't like as half the game is just men rubbing up against each other. NHL is cool. NBA I find boring. Baseball I find boring. Cricket I find boring. Nascar I find boring.

American sports seem to be more about pride for your country than actual skill.

ColdRush88

that last line didnt make a lick of sense.

especially considering Europe competes regularly against its individual countries.

Our sports are self contained, except the one or two canadian teams that are in our leagues.

Franken_Berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Franken_Berry
Member since 2004 • 5968 Posts
Football kicks so much ass it's unreal.
ferretzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ferretzor
Member since 2005 • 2792 Posts
I don't know much about American football, but baseball is so dull to watch it's unbelievable. Same as cricket, over here in England.
Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Apollo5000
Member since 2005 • 18782 Posts
Though not mainstream, Slamball begs to differ.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 H8sMikeMoore

[QUOTE="xSIZEMATTER"]I love football and baseball. Just because you guys don't like them doesn't mean you have to trash them. Have respect for them at least, other than acting like a child. :roll: KOTORkicker

I'm not trashing American Football or Baseball I'm just asking what makes them stand out from the crowd and what the good things about them are.

American Football stands out because its not only one of the toughest physical games to play, you have to be smart to play it too.

after every play you have to not only figure out what you want to do, but what you think theyre gonna do. once you line up and you see that they might have known what you're gonna do, you have to (well you dont HAVE to) call an audible to change things up (which requires everyone on the team to know the code names for, and theres limitless amounts of audibles to call. Its very time consuming to be good at football because you have to be athletic and smart.

xtn702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xtn702
Member since 2007 • 4203 Posts
Heh. I'll never understand American Football, it should be called Handball since you barely use your feet.Black_Knight_00
I think you DO have to use your feet... It's called running... :|
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Andrew_Xavier

American Football stands out because its not only one of the toughest physical games to play, you have to be smart to play it too.

H8sMikeMoore

It's nowhere near as tough as rugby to play physically. It's not as tough as box lacrosse either.

KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KOTORkicker
[QUOTE="KOTORkicker"]

[QUOTE="xSIZEMATTER"]I love football and baseball. Just because you guys don't like them doesn't mean you have to trash them. Have respect for them at least, other than acting like a child. :roll: H8sMikeMoore

after every play you have to not only figure out what you want to do, but what you think theyre gonna do. once you line up and you see that they might have known what you're gonna do, you have to (well you dont HAVE to) call an audible to change things up (which requires everyone on the team to know the code names for, and theres limitless amounts of audibles to call. Its very time consuming to be good at football because you have to be athletic and smart.

I see. Thankyou.

Baseball?

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Andrew_Xavier

I see. Thankyou.

Baseball?

KOTORkicker

Baseball is the only real sport that you can be a few hundred pounds overweight and still play do to the excruciatingly slow pace of the game. So, it's something for the average joe to aspire to.

ColdRush88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ColdRush88
Member since 2008 • 1192 Posts
[QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]

Andrew_Xavier

It's nowhere near as tough as rugby to play physically. It's not as tough as box lacrosse either.

Yeah. Rugby (over here in little old Europe) requires alot more physical toughness than American Football. Hence why they wear no body armour...

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 H8sMikeMoore
[QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]

Andrew_Xavier

Okay, lets have a rugby player get slammed by Patrick Willis from 20 yards away.

anyway, even if football isnt as tough as rugby its certainly smarter.

theres no game that can compete with football on a strategic level.

KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KOTORkicker
[QUOTE="KOTORkicker"]

I see. Thankyou.

Baseball?

Andrew_Xavier

Baseball is the only real sport that you can be a few hundred pounds overweight and still play do to the excruciatingly slow pace of the game. So, it's something for the average joe to aspire to.

Really? Thanks...

Don't you just hate it when you have to type...LOL!

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"][QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]

H8sMikeMoore

Okay, lets have a rugby player get slammed by Patrick Willis from 20 yards away.

anyway, even if football isnt as tough as rugby its certainly smarter.

theres no game that can compete with football on a strategic level.

Lets see a football player take a tackle from a rugby player, then get stomped during the ensuing ruck, and see if he wants to keep playing rugby hmm? I can tell you, you come out of a rugby game way more bashed up than you do coming out of a football game, I've played both, stuck with rugby, quit football after high school.

There are lots of games that are smarter than football, football requires a smart coach...it doesn't require the players to be smart at all. There are a few hundred sports in the world that require solid technical merits, american football is *not* the smartest, on any level.

Heck, do you know the level of strategy and ability to change strategies on a dime required to play rugby?

ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ClawKiller
Member since 2005 • 666 Posts

American football is a load of people running about in armour taking breaks every 20 seconds because theyre so unfit.

Rugby is a man's sport.

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 H8sMikeMoore
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"][QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]

ColdRush88

Yeah. Rugby (over here in little old Europe) requires alot more physical toughness than American Football. Hence why they wear no body armour...

I dont really think your opinion is valid on this subject seeing as you live in england and are used to the NFL Europe. Some of the sissiest players ive ever seen.

the way football is played, most players get a real good running start for a head on collision.

if this is an example of how rough rugby is, color me not impressed =

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KcMs-hWvGNM

HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
[QUOTE="HellsAngel2c"]

usaaaaaa

Ignorance.

course ive never played :p i just found from my limited time watching it that most the winning team is the one with the highest points, unlike in British football where the winning team is the one who played the better football. Although i must admit ive only ever watched College Football so i dunno if the big league style is different (if you compare 5th division footy to premiership here, there is a huge difference and a similar problem of people just sprinting to the goal to rack up points)

And im not saying American football should BE rugby, just that they should lose the kit... its not very sexy

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="ColdRush88"][QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"][QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]

H8sMikeMoore

I dont really think your opinion is valid on this subject seeing as you live in england and are used to the NFL Europe. Some of the sissiest players ive ever seen.

the way football is played, most players get a real good running start for a head on collision.

if this is an example of how rough rugby is, color me not impressed =

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KcMs-hWvGNM

Lol, in the first 30 seconds, you see harder hits in rugby without pads, and you aren't impressed? Interesting.

Did you know play doesn't stop when you hit the ground in rugby?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tc0Ut5y-GRc