So what is art? (56K warning)

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

I came across an article about a graphite artist named Linda Huber. She's an extremely talented drawer that can make still life drawings and portraits of photo quality. Some examples for those who don't want to click the links:

No, there's not a person on earth that would say this doesn't take talent. However, there are a lot of people that would say that these are not works of art because they can simply be recreated from a photo. Others say that still life and portraits lack creativity and thus are not artistic.

On the flip side, there's Jackson Pollock. He's world famous for splashing paint on a canvas. Examples:

In a sense, you could say it's creative in that he found a new way of painting. However, I wouldn't say his ****is difficult. It doesn't take much tallent to dribble paint on a canvas.

Then there's arists like Escher who are both very creative and skilled in their craft. Example:

Clearly he didn't copy these from a still life. It took some talent to make those as well.

So what are your thoughts OT? Does art take talent, creativity, or both?

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Jackson Pollock's work is fantastic. I've attempted to do a painting like that, and it is a lot harder than it looks.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cd_rom

Jackson Pollock's work is fantastic. I've attempted to do a painting like that, and it is a lot harder than it looks.

metroidfood
Granted, Pollock probably wasn't the best example. However, I think you guys understand where I'm coming from.
alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
Well the way I seeit I could draw a perfect rendition of a landscape and it wouldn't necessarily be 'art'. It's more of just a reprodution. Creativity is probably the defining factor of art; with technical tallent, emotional expression, and originality being other factors.
nelson415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 nelson415
Member since 2007 • 1807 Posts

what about graffiti?

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

tc, post more cool pics

-Pro-Link-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 -Pro-Link-
Member since 2006 • 6297 Posts

Disctionary.com states Art as being..."the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance."

So I guess if those pieces of...Errr...Art...have some sort of emotional meaning to them and they're expressing themselves, It's art. Do I consider it beautiful, or appealing? Absolutely not...But It's considered art nonetheless.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I would define art very broadly: it is the expression, in one way or another, of that which cannot be fully contained within an objective description; it is the conveying of that which cannot truly be told to another in full, but rather must be felt in an ineffable manner.

So in that sense, what matters is not so much what is created, but rather why it is created and what it both contains from the creator and imparts on the viewer, reader, or listener. Just about anything can be art, and at the same time, just about anything can also not be art.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cd_rom

I would define art very broadly: it is the expression, in one way or another, of that which cannot be fully contained within an objective description; it is the conveying of that which cannot truly be told to another in full, but rather must be felt in an ineffable manner.

So in that sense, what matters is not so much what is created, but rather why it is created and what it both contains from the creator and imparts on the viewer, reader, or listener. Just about anything can be art, and at the same time, just about anything can also not be art.

GabuEx
Well in that sense it would take creativity to come up with and express that deeper meaning. Raw artistic talent can produce good looking objects, but if you're just copying something for the sake of copying, then that's not considered "art".
Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts

The drawing of the light bulb and glass are amazing! :o

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GabuEx

Well in that sense it would take creativity to come up with and express that deeper meaning. Raw artistic talent can produce good looking objects, but if you're just copying something for the sake of copying, then that's not considered "art". cd_rom

I would agree with that. I would have a difficult time describing something as art that was simply copied from reality with no other purpose. Presidential portraits, for example, are most certainly not art.

I would say that art requires both creativity and talent, in fact: creativity to determine both what you want to express and how you want to express it, and talent to properly express it such that one who experiences the work feels that which is intended to be expressed.

Democratik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Democratik
Member since 2009 • 662 Posts
something organized to influence emotions
SpidersRMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpidersRMe
Member since 2006 • 6201 Posts

I don't even care. Argueing the definition of "art" is distressing. I apply the word to things created with "art" in mind. So if a person calls their work "art", I too shall call it "art". I don't care if it's shallow or crap or whatever. I want words to have concrete definitions.

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
The first artist is insane.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Either/or/both.

Firstly, I think there's a difference between "art" and "craft". The first person you showed is an excellent "craftsman/craftswoman", but some might not see her as an "artist". I'd personally disagree with them though.

Now, generally speaking, it's hard to be a good "artist" without also being at least a decent "craftsman". The Jackson Pollock stuff is stuff that I don't "get", and it looks like it needs a lot less "craftmanship", but that doesn't mean it's not art.

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

IMO for art to be really good is when you dont have to explain what the point of your creation is

EDIT: so it doesnt really require talent or creativity

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I hate creative art, because I can poo on a paper and say it's creative.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
id certainly include portraits and other "recreations" as art. i mean, theres a lot more to a portrait than recreating the subject's face (though that is a classic meter as well). a good portrait will tell the viewer something about the subject that is more than their looks. what is their expression? timid? stern? are they looking right at you unflinchingly? beyond you to some greater goal? away to avoid confrontation? what about their posture? i could go on, but the point is that there can be a lot put into the composition of a portrait or a landscape. anyway, to sort of answer the question i go back and forth between intent and a medium of expression.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer

Well the way I seeit I could draw a perfect rendition of a landscape and it wouldn't necessarily be 'art'. It's more of just a reprodution. Creativity is probably the defining factor of art; with technical tallent, emotional expression, and originality being other factors.alphamale1989

Thing is, when drawing that landscape, you WILL have to draw on originality or emotional expression.

If you're creating the landscape in your own head, you're going to draw on your knowledge of "good design", and you're probably going to be drawing a landscape in order to bring about a certain emotional reaction.

And if you just happened to park your ass in front of a mountain and then draw what you see, then that's a lot like taking a photograph. And as we all know, photography is art.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I like the first and third artist that you posted. Never really dug the canvas stuff. Not my taste. Not really eye candy or an illusion.

I prefer both talent and creativity. However if the first artist you posted was supposed to represent just talent alone, then I would take talent over creativity any day. The glass was just beautiful. :shock:

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GabuEx

And if you just happened to park your ass in front of a mountain and then draw what you see, then that's a lot like taking a photograph. And as we all know, photography is art.

MrGeezer

Can be art. I would not accept the assertion that any photograph is necessarily art, however.

stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#22 stupid4
Member since 2008 • 3695 Posts

Art is one's interpertation of something. You don't need talent or creativity for that.

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 8-Bitterness
btw, these are some good examples of art IMO    drew beckmeyer is awesome
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"]btw, these are some good examples of art IMO    drew beckmeyer is awesome

That looks like a kid with some skills and a crayon did that, and was high. Awful.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

GabuEx

Can be art. I would not accept the assertion that any photograph is necessarily art, however.

Well yeah, that's what I meant. I wouldn't accept the assertion that ANY medium necessarily results in "art", be it paintings, photography, sculpture, or sound.

What I simply meant was the the "reproductive" nature of photography doesn't preclude it from being art. Even though every photograph is basically just "reproducing" what already exists. And the same would necessarily apply to drawings or paintings, even if the "artist" was merely "reproducing" what he sees laid out in front of him.

Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

The water and light bulb could fool anyone :o

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer

That looks like a kid with some skills and a crayon did that, and was high. Awful.JigglyWiggly_

It sounds like you're largely talking about his "craft". I think there's enough here to stimulate thought.

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 8-Bitterness
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] That looks like a kid with some skills and a crayon did that, and was high. Awful.

well, i dont know, im not a professional at art or anything, and honestly, you know... critics in general just plain dont even know what they talk about really, cuz as its obvious art is individual, some people will hate what other people love but yeah it does look like a little kid with crayons did that, and its amazing
early15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 early15
Member since 2007 • 84 Posts

Art is a image in your head that u want to make part of reality or it though that u may wish to express one feeling from photography to Moon in Space. That what Art is to me . It what is in you deep inside that creativety that you must share with the world.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]That looks like a kid with some skills and a crayon did that, and was high. Awful.MrGeezer

It sounds like you're largely talking about his "craft". I think there's enough here to stimulate thought.

Sorry I am a graphics whore :P

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] That looks like a kid with some skills and a crayon did that, and was high. Awful.8-Bitterness
well, i dont know, im not a professional at art or anything, and honestly, you know... critics in general just plain dont even know what they talk about really, cuz as its obvious art is individual, some people will hate what other people love but yeah it does look like a little kid with crayons did that, and its amazing

I think that one misconception about criticism is that critics "don't know anything." This sort of misconception that critics are doing nothing more than giving their opinions.

Yes, any kind of criticism will be highly opinionated, but there's a lot more to criticism than that.

For example, one person could look at that art gallery scene, and say "that looks like a kid did it, it sucks". But that's not even addressing what IS there, or what ISN'T there.

Is it saying anything?

Why does everyone have mustaches?

Why is there a Salvador Dali painting on the wall?

Why does it look like a kid drew it?

In a work of art, there's stuff that's there, and there's stuff that isn't. Does the presence or absence of such a thing help the artist to say something? Or is it there (or not there) for absolutely no reason? Anyone is entitled to their opinions, but good CRITICISM is a lot more complicated than just giving an opinion. It begins with openmindedness, progresses to analysis, and then ends in a judgement based on a perceived value. But there's a process in getting to "this sucks", and it takes work. Of course, you might still arrive at the conclusion that a work of art sucks. But as a CRITIC, you sort of have to communicate all of this to your audience. In many ways, art criticism is sort of like a form of art in itself. It requires an understanding of art, and not everyone who understands art can effectively criticize it.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

GabuEx
That blew my mind. :o
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

Well yeah, that's what I meant. I wouldn't accept the assertion that ANY medium necessarily results in "art", be it paintings, photography, sculpture, or sound.

What I simply meant was the the "reproductive" nature of photography doesn't preclude it from being art. Even though every photograph is basically just "reproducing" what already exists. And the same would necessarily apply to drawings or paintings, even if the "artist" was merely "reproducing" what he sees laid out in front of him.

In that case, I think that we are basically in agreement.

Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 Neon-Tiger
Member since 2008 • 7683 Posts
I have a Pollock replica in my living room, and its presence is striking! It's more about the impression it makes and feelings it expresses than technical proficiency.
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

I was an exhibition once in the Tate Modern where the main piece was a video. There was a naked man, who you can see from the knees up until the chin. He's wearing boxing gloves. He keeps punching himself in the face and occasionally grabbing a bottle of hot sauce and pouring it onto his chest and you know what.

So yeah. This guy was very talented.

WestSideAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WestSideAzn
Member since 2003 • 2218 Posts

what about graffiti?

nelson415

Graffing on a wall is artistic when it shows something awesome, not just tagging up a place because you want your name out there. When they use to graf bomb trains, that took a lot of skill and creativity. I believe Art is also a freedom of expression.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

The first drawing tricked me. I thought it was the BS art where you take a dump and stick a fork in it and call yourself a mad genius. But no no that is just an insanely realistic drawing. Wowza.

ernie1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ernie1989
Member since 2004 • 8547 Posts

I don't know. I've thought about it a lot, but no cigar. Maybe someday.

R-A-W-R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R-A-W-R
Member since 2009 • 86 Posts
Langdon B. Gilkey defined art this way, "An encounter with a work of art is an interaction, an interaction of the presence of that work and of ourselves into this new creative event, the enhancement of our experience, of our being, and of our world. Art opens up the truth hidden behind and within the ordinary; it provides a new entrance into reality and pushes us through that entrance. It leads us to what is really there and really going on. Far from subjective, it pierces the opaque subjectivity, the not seeing of conventional life, of conventional viewing, and discloses reality." I guarantee that not everyone will agree with me but I go a step farther and define an artist as a person called and gifted by God - who loves all kids of art; who maintains high aesthetic standards for goodness, truth and beauty; and whose glory is art's highest goal. However, this "true art" has been corrupted like everything else in this world. Instead of emulating our Divine Creator in our own creativity, we lift up our own selves through our work and often ascribe to unholy material (aka, the idea that porn should be considered art. I call that idea bull crap.)
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
You need hard work and determination.
Avatar image for LieutenantFeist
LieutenantFeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LieutenantFeist
Member since 2008 • 1529 Posts

OHH The art of it all!!!

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
I was going to say what was so arty about a light bulb then I realised it was hand drawn. I thought it was a photo.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Art invokes emotion.

You don't need talent to make art.

altairs_mentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 altairs_mentor
Member since 2009 • 696 Posts

The thing is art is a way of expressing different emotions which is creativity.

on the other hand art is away of showing talent by recreating certain things on canvas.

Or a combination of both as with the stairs painting.

It actually matters to you if you want to impress yourself (creativity) or impress others(talent)

Thats my take on ART and i LOVE IT!

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
I only consider it art if it looks hard to draw or create. I once was in an art museum and saw a painting that featured a red circle and triangle on a white backround. My 5 year old sister could have drawn it. That is not art. the Mona Lisa is art.
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Everything can be art, to me, art has no rules or boundaries. If it had it would be boring and limited.

trust_nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 trust_nobody
Member since 2003 • 3356 Posts

I knew a guy in college who could draw just like that (I went to art school). It takes a lot of time, and people tend to think it's all in the shading, but it's not. It's about knowing where to keep darkening lines to the point where it's sheer black, and where to make them extremely subtle, and exactlyhow light or dark tobest represent realism. This is harder than shading.

Edit-

Also known as "rendering".

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
The first artist is absolutely fantastic o_O The paint splashed canvases look good but I think like a plain black canvas entitled "Night" for example is not art
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
So wait? It's not art because it can be recreated in a photo, so are they also calling photography not an artform? Honestly, i see 'everything' as 'art', but some of that art, like Jackson Pollacks ****, is not GOOD art to me. It's lame.