So, Is Solo: A Star Wars Story good ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Topic.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

It's not out yet?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Looks like shit. Doesn't release here for another few days. Not going to see it.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Look average. Not in a rush to see it to be honest.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@dorog1995: The movie starts on May 25 since it was the same date that A New Hope release back in 1977. I'll be sure to Bookmark this thread and give you my honest opinion on the Solo movie.

I have heard from few youtubers stated they like it enough as a standard Star Wars film and it's the first Star Wars film to be a "heist" SW to that as well. I'm not hype about this but I still intended to go watch it day one since there's nothing good releasing until June 2018.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@davillain-: thanks.appreciate it.

Unfortunately I can't watch it on theaters since in my country's theaters they won't show hollywood movies.(Have to wait until the home release)

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I didn't think it looked so good originally, going by what was shown in the trailers. Although after reading some reviews, I'm just going to be open minded and give it a chance. Might end up being about a 7/10.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Not really interested in it myself. I believe it will destroy the original character. Can you say money grab?

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Will probably skip. I havent liked the new star wars films especially last jedi and this one got worse reviewe

Longsnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Longsnout
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts

It's alright. Obviously doesn't do the character of Han any favors by robbing him of his spontaneous charm or mystique. As an adventure/heist movie it felt alright but nothing much to talk about. The plot felt largely episodic (set-piece after set-piece and only barely connected to Han's goals). Movie at least didn't have much that j/k humor I hate from MCU and the other recent Star Wars movies. Kid playing Han does a decent impression but always felt just that, an impression. Donald Glover as Lando is terrific. Everybody else was ok though I couldn't stand the robot. Villain's weak and only shows up for two scenes - completely forgettable. And so on.

I predict a los of fans are going to freak out purely because of the reappearence of Darth Maul, which didn't make sense to me but whatever.

InnerGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 InnerGame
Member since 2018 • 200 Posts

I'm going to watch this movie soon. It starts on May 25. I hope it won't bad, but I know nothing at this moment.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@Longsnout said:

Kid playing Han does a decent impression but always felt just that, an impression.

That's probably been my biggest hangup with the trailers. Buuuut, I just went on my soapbax in another thread about how recasting is no big deal, so I'll try to get past it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

Of course not. All new SW movies have been terrible. Haven't seen Solo, but it being good is extremely unlikely.

Longsnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Longsnout

@theone86 said:
@Longsnout said:

Kid playing Han does a decent impression but always felt just that, an impression.

That's probably been my biggest hangup with the trailers. Buuuut, I just went on my soapbax in another thread about how recasting is no big deal, so I'll try to get past it.

Yes and no, it is a big deal when you're dealing with such a huge icon as Han Solo. Ehrenreich always felt like he was just doing an impression. On the other hand Donald Glover as Lando was spot on.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 theone86
@Longsnout said:
@theone86 said:
@Longsnout said:

Yes and no, it is a big deal when you're dealing with such a huge icon as Han Solo. Ehrenreich always felt like he was just doing an impression. On the other hand Donald Glover as Lando was spot on.

But Lando is still just an impression, just a better impression. I was trying to think last night about why recasting Bond works and Han doesn't. Roger Moore wasn't trying to do Sean Connery, he was just doing Roger Moore. I think people might have been put off, though, if Ehrenreich had not tried so hard to copy Ford's mannerisms. Maybe it's because the the character debuted on film as opposed to a book so we feel tied to Ford's version of him? I dunno.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Waiting for RLM review, prob better than the movie.

Longsnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Longsnout

@theone86 said:
@Longsnout said:
@theone86 said:
@Longsnout said:

But Lando is still just an impression, just a better impression. I was trying to think last night about why recasting Bond works and Han doesn't. Roger Moore wasn't trying to do Sean Connery, he was just doing Roger Moore. I think people might have been put off, though, if Ehrenreich had not tried so hard to copy Ford's mannerisms. Maybe it's because the the character debuted on film as opposed to a book so we feel tied to Ford's version of him? I dunno.

Well obviously both are styling themselves after their predecessors. But Lando felt like an actual character and "Han" never felt Han. I can totally see Solo's Lando growing into the Empire Strikes Back character. Not so Han Solo. The New Hope character had a scummy quality unlike Ehrenreich's take. Problem is part actor, part writing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
@Longsnout said:

I predict a los of fans are going to freak out purely because of the reappearence of Darth Maul, which didn't make sense to me but whatever.

What was his role in the story ? was he played by Ray Park ?(The actor that played as him in episode 1)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@theone86 said:
@Longsnout said:

Well I get that going younger one needs to recast but this actor doesn't say Han Solo to me so I don't see why I should spend my money on it.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Movie restored my faith in Disney. I would put it on par with Rogue One. Absolutely loved it.

Longsnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Longsnout

@dorog1995 said:
@Longsnout said:

What was his role in the story ? was he played by Ray Park ?(The actor that played as him in episode 1)

He appears in a single scene, via hologram, revealing he was the bad guy behind the bad guy (Paul Bettany as Dryden Vos) all along. He doesn't technically do anything, just shows up for a reveal, complete with a pointless dual lightsaber twirl. And yes IMDB says Ray Park is still playing him. Different voice though.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@n64dd: Same here, went in expecting not much bit damn it was good. Rogue One was slightly better IMO, but this wasn't far behind. Glover was great and the kid playing Solo was alright, he had the physical movements down, just didn't look or sound much like Han. It really picked up in the second half and I can't wait for its sequel. The surprise character at the end was awesome and there's a lot of story still to tell. 8/10

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

Saw the movie Friday night and here's my thoughts: I thought it was decent, not bad, but not great either. if you’re expecting a rating, then maybe 7/10 and I like Rogue One a lot more then Solo but I must say, I'm actually enjoying the Star Wars side stories then the actual sequels to be honest. The Kessel Run is jaw-dropping! So many great moments, and a huge surprise, do not let anyone spoil it for you! As in Rogue One, they did a tremendous job of capturing the atmosphere of the Star Wars universe because it's a prequel Star Wars that works well here. Seeing Han and Chewie on their first grand adventure together was amazing, winning the Falcon off from Lando and Glover as Lando was better then Ehrenreich as Han Solo, my issue is that he smiles alot. L3-37 dragged the film down with her character and I don't see how Lando views her as a Sexbot. And most of all, the biggest surprise right near the ending of the film (spoilers) was seeing Darth Maul was a huge surprise but then again, it makes sense due to him rising to power from the Star Wars: The Clone Wars CGI and if you never watch the series, you're gonna be very lost as to why he lives.

Now then for those who might be confuse as to why Darth Maul still lives outside of the main Star Wars movie branch, I'll explain it the details if you never watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars CGI series:

Darth Maul survived his injuries by focusing on his hatred of Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Jedi who cut him in half. His shattered body was dumped amid the refuse of the junk planet Lotho Minor, where the once deadly warrior fell into madness, staying alive on a diet of vermin. When found by his brother Savage Opress, Maul had no memory of who he was, rambled nonsensically, and had built hideous spider-like legs in place of his severed ones. He was stuck on that planet for around a decade till his brother found him. He then took Maul back to their home planet of Dathomir where a space witch (His mother) restored his memories and replaced his spider legs with robotic ones. Since then, Maul has been trying to get revenge on Kenobi and had been building a criminal empire to control the galaxy. The Emperor eventually found out Maul was alive, killed his brother and mother and tried to kill Maul. After Order 66, Maul went into hiding, working in the Shadows which we now know was the main crime syndicate we see in Solo. Also, the Empire doesn't really bother with Crime gangs unless they physically go against the Empire. Which is why Vader was more than happy to hire Bounty Hunters to find Han Solo in The Empire Strikes Back and Maul get's away with it just hiding in the shadows as a Boss Syndicate.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@n64dd said:

Movie restored my faith in Disney. I would put it on par with Rogue One. Absolutely loved it.

Having seen both now, it proves to me one thing.

I like the Star Wars side story movies a lot better than the Disney's Trilogy. They're more grounded because they're still in the Lucas timeline, and they seem to be friendlier to the old EU because of that. They feel more like Star Wars, really.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

That surprise. Can call if man-child pandering, but it was awesome.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Overall I enjoyed it, at least on par with rest of the Disney Star Wars films. I don't know what the rest of the internet has against it.

About my only problem with it is the labored justification for past Kessel Run mentioning being overly written into the plot, but aside from that, mostly positive experience.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Better than episode 8, that much is for sure. This one is watchable and has fun characters.

InnerGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 InnerGame
Member since 2018 • 200 Posts

I saw this film last week. Solo isn't very good, but Solo is better than VII and VIII episodes. I have a lot of questions for plot of this film.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

You will enjoy this more than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Personally I found it ok.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 theone86

I'm not on board with all the hate for VII+VIII in this thread, but I really liked Solo as well. It was an awesome heist movie with Star Wars charm and some really cool set pieces. And I really wasn't put-off by Erehnreich playing Han. I never once thought to myself "this isn't REALLY Han." Don't know what's with all the bad reviews.