So how come people evolved so high and apes didn't?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts

Just to make it clear this is in no way a "God Vs Evolution" thread...

Just wondering why our closest cousins are so far behind us in the evolutionary line?

ligerz76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 ligerz76
Member since 2007 • 2022 Posts
Maybe they are smarter. Maybe we are currently too stupid to understand their ways and that they are more evolved than we are. Maybe they have special features and such that make higher up on the evolutionary line and we just haven't discovered them yet.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
They didn't feel like it.
sovereign_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sovereign_22
Member since 2008 • 1190 Posts
we probebly just adapted better than them and evolved past them because of it
iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts

Just wondering why our closest cousins are so far behind us in the evolutionary line?

killtactics

I cannot answer your question, but I find this ironic: We are so far advanced as a species where technology, philosophy, et cetera are concerned, yet we continue to act worse toward each other than any other creature on this earth.

TheMutableOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheMutableOne
Member since 2006 • 1064 Posts
Maybe they are smarter. Maybe we are currently too stupid to understand their ways and that they are more evolved than we are. Maybe they have special features and such that make higher up on the evolutionary line and we just haven't discovered them yet.ligerz76
Umm... maybe but.. no.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Maybe they did and we didn't....
stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts

Because they're dirty, stinkin' apes.

:D

Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts

Speech would be the reason I would say, while most communication is non-verbal many specific ideas and collaborations can only be effectively done through talking.

The issue isn't that other great apes aren't intelligent, our intelligences are not that drastically different, the issue is we have both the ideas and the means to achieve them while other great apes don't have those means.

I cannot answer your question, but I find this ironic: We are so far advanced as a species where technology, philosophy, et cetera are concerned, yet we continue to act worse toward each other than any other creature on this earth.

iwokojance

Not true. Other primates exhibit the same tendencies towards violence that we do and that includes warfare.
xSIZEMATTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 xSIZEMATTER
Member since 2008 • 7045 Posts
Let the flaming begin. hey duxup stick around, this could get ugly.
Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Insane00
Member since 2003 • 1267 Posts

killtactics

Why do you say that they are far behind us along the evolutionary line?

Chimps have recently been shown to have better photographic memories than humans, they have the ability to learn quite well, and both chimps and gorillas have been able to learn sign language to some degree that implies a certain degree of symbol association. All of these are human traits that are rare if not absent in all species besides advanced primates,namely the great apes and humans.

Avatar image for elite_destroyer
elite_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 elite_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 1118 Posts

cause The Theory of Evolution is a bunch of bull****.

But if you believe this crap, here it goes:

We didnt evolve from apes. We evolved from what apes were before they were apes.

were just a part of the certin family.

BUT THAT IS IF YOU ACCTUALLY BELIEVE THIS NONSENSE.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 teh_destroyer
Member since 2004 • 35328 Posts
because apes don't have the same capabilities as humans do.
Grasshopper_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grasshopper_12
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts
They didn't need to get smarter in order to survive. While we on the other hand did, in order to survive harsher climates and stuff.
sovereign_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sovereign_22
Member since 2008 • 1190 Posts

cause The Theory of Evolution is a bunch of bull****.

But if you believe this crap, here it goes:

We didnt evolve from apes. We evolved from what apes were before they were apes.

were just a part of the certin family.

BUT THAT IS IF YOU ACCTUALLY BELIEVE THIS NONSENSE.

elite_destroyer

MWA MWA MWWWWAAAAAAAA

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
Through evolutionary process, humans became more fit.
futures_past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 futures_past
Member since 2007 • 286 Posts
who said we did evolve or are we better adapted for what we need. If a baboon attacked me ...oh boy do i wish i was a gorilla and not a human
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 killtactics

Speech would be the reason I would say, while most communication is non-verbal many specific ideas and collaborations can only be effectively done through talking.

The issue isn't that other great apes aren't intelligent, our intelligences are not that drastically different, the issue is we have both the ideas and the means to achieve them while other great apes don't have those means.

[QUOTE="iwokojance"]

Aidenfury19

Not true. Other primates exhibit the same tendencies towards violence that we do and that includes warfare.

Then why don't they have those means? they have had the same amount of time to develop them as we have.... they do make noise, have hands, collaborate together..... and i would say that humans are drastically smarter then monkeys....
Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Insane00

[QUOTE="iwokojance"]

Aidenfury19

Yes, speech is the defining feature that has allowed us to advance beyond the great apes, however, I would say that one must ask if the great apes lack the ability to use language, or simply never developed past the physical barriers of language, namely the evolution of the larynx or wind pipe.

And very good point about violent tendencies. In fact anyone that has watched Planet Earth has seen an example of Chimps fighting over territory much like how humans do in order to secure resources for their family/group.

bloodkoala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bloodkoala
Member since 2006 • 108 Posts
It all involves the development of the preforontal cortext, which controls the functions of communication. We communicate better than apes, and so can pass down knowledge to our offspring, this combined with a greater affinity for problem solving gives humans an unprecidented advantage over other animals.
Etherninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Etherninty
Member since 2006 • 1678 Posts

Some people have not evolved "so high" but anyways... Back to the point, when humans started using objects with their hands (before the apes), that developped another way to think about the world, humans decided to adapt the world around him-self instead of adapting to the world as a survival strategy. That's the difference that happened between us and the apes.

killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 killtactics
[QUOTE="killtactics"]

Insane00

Chimps have recently been shown to have better photographic memories than humans, they have the ability to learn quite well, and both chimps and gorillas have been able to learn sign language to some degree that implies a certain degree of symbol association. All of these are human traits that are rare if not absent in all species besides advanced primates,namely the great apes and humans.

Why do i say they are far behind? b/c they poop on their hands and throw it around in a festive manner.....
Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Zagrius
Member since 2002 • 3820 Posts

Are apes still afraid of fire? That might be part of the reason. I remember watching a National Geographic Documentary about how fire helped the evolution of man, since it made meat easier to eat, and so the jaw muscles didn't need to be as strong/big as they were, leaving more room in the head forthe brain to develop. Not to mention the fact that cooked meat stays edible for longer periods of time.
Robertoey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Robertoey
Member since 2005 • 1996 Posts
That just means that we have manners.
ajc_176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ajc_176
Member since 2003 • 2595 Posts
Is it not something like their DNA is about 2% less than humans or something :?

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't know

You cant believe in anything now days with out getting flamed to with in an inch of you life :roll:
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 killtactics
They didn't need to get smarter in order to survive. While we on the other hand did, in order to survive harsher climates and stuff.Grasshopper_12
Were humans and apes living in drastically different climates?
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 killtactics

Some people have not evolved "so high" but anyways... Back to the point, when humans started using objects with their hands (before the apes), that developped another way to think about the world, humans decided to adapt the world around him-self instead of adapting to the world as a survival strategy. That's the difference that happened between us and the apes.

Etherninty
Apes use objects all the time.... unless humans had a few hundred thousand years head start on this i dont see your point...
Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Insane00
[QUOTE="Aidenfury19"]

[QUOTE="iwokojance"]

killtactics

Then why don't they have those means? they have had the same amount of time to develop them as we have.... they do make noise, have hands, collaborate together..... and i would say that humans are drastically smarter then monkeys....

First off, there is a difference between monkeys and apes. Humans are apes, or at least evolved from them. Apes include Chimps, Bonobos (a type of chimp), Gorillas, and Orangatangues. Apes evoloved from Monkeys which are in general much less intelligent than apes.

And as far as why did apes not evolve continually as humans did, a simple study of evolution and how it works would answer your question. You see, evolution, that is adapation, only occurs when the environment a species lives in puts pressure on said species to have to change in order to optimize survival. Chimps, Gorillas, and orangetangues have been living in what is essentially the exact same environment and occupied the exact same ecological niche for millions of years, the same niche that they occupy now. That is a tropical, large mammal niche in which they have already optimized the adaptations to best survive where they live. There is no point in changing for changes sake when your species is already performing at its optimum rate.

Humans, on the other hand, had to adapt. You see as environment changed, the apes that lived on the edge of tropical enviroments were forced to begin to live near and on grassland environments with fewer trees. This required these apes to have to come out of the trees and venture out on the grasslands full of predators such as lions, leapords, hayeenas, and the like. So, in tall grasses it was better for these apes to be able to walk bipedally to look for predators and run faster. Similarly one can see that the ability to communicate conditions on and around the ground to your buddies would give a reason for speech and communication abilities to advance.

There's a lot more to it than this, but this is the rough version.

notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 notconspiracy
Member since 2007 • 2225 Posts
they aren't. there is no such thing as liner evolution. it is just adapting to one's environment.
Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Insane00
[QUOTE="Insane00"][QUOTE="killtactics"]

killtactics

Why do i say they are far behind? b/c they poop on their hands and throw it around in a festive manner.....

I know some kids that like to do that. Does that mean they aren't as fully evolved.

Oh, and Bonobos are known to engage in homosexual activities, something that is contradictory to survival but represents an advanced degree of social interaction. So this is an example of how apes share similarities to us.

cowboymonkey21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cowboymonkey21
Member since 2007 • 5297 Posts
Well really who is the smarter? Sure we have technoligy and language (But maybe apes do to) but have apes have gone into society and learned our language (sign language) and lived with us but have we ever done the same with them?
Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Insane00

Are apes still afraid of fire? That might be part of the reason. I remember watching a National Geographic Documentary about how fire helped the evolution of man, since it made meat easier to eat, and so the jaw muscles didn't need to be as strong/big as they were, leaving more room in the head forthe brain to develop. Not to mention the fact that cooked meat stays edible for longer periods of time.Zagrius

And on this note, early human ancestors such as homo erectus, homo habilus, homo afarensus, and even lucy had very large jaw bone and muscles as well as teeth designed for seed cracking and grinding. They all represented evolutionary stages beyond that of modern apes, and yet had no use or knowledge of fire, thus indicating that fire was something that came about after humans were human, and thus that fire was not the cause of our evolution.

cowboymonkey21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cowboymonkey21
they aren't. there is no such thing as liner evolution. it is just adapting to one's environment. notconspiracy
Proove it.
Etherninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Etherninty
Member since 2006 • 1678 Posts
[QUOTE="Etherninty"]

killtactics

Apes use objects all the time.... unless humans had a few hundred thousand years head start on this i dont see your point...

Humans started using objects way before the apes.

notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 notconspiracy
Member since 2007 • 2225 Posts
[QUOTE="notconspiracy"]they aren't. there is no such thing as liner evolution. it is just adapting to one's environment. cowboymonkey21
Proove it.

prove a negative? sorry, but the TC's objection was based purely on a misunderstanding of darwinian evolution. There is no goal or purpose as natural selection is blind. This is a quite popular misconception, like bacteria are at the bottom while evolution is working slowly to inevitably create intelligent, bipedal creatures. in actuality, organisms simply adapt to changes in their environment
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
because they didn't need to.
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 killtactics
[QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="Aidenfury19"]

[QUOTE="iwokojance"]

Insane00

First off, there is a difference between monkeys and apes. Humans are apes, or at least evolved from them. Apes include Chimps, Bonobos (a type of chimp), Gorillas, and Orangatangues. Apes evoloved from Monkeys which are in general much less intelligent than apes.

And as far as why did apes not evolve continually as humans did, a simple study of evolution and how it works would answer your question. You see, evolution, that is adapation, only occurs when the environment a species lives in puts pressure on said species to have to change in order to optimize survival. Chimps, Gorillas, and orangetangues have been living in what is essentially the exact same environment and occupied the exact same ecological niche for millions of years, the same niche that they occupy now. That is a tropical, large mammal niche in which they have already optimized the adaptations to best survive where they live. There is no point in changing for changes sake when your species is already performing at its optimum rate.

Humans, on the other hand, had to adapt. You see as environment changed, the apes that lived on the edge of tropical enviroments were forced to begin to live near and on grassland environments with fewer trees. This required these apes to have to come out of the trees and venture out on the grasslands full of predators such as lions, leapords, hayeenas, and the like. So, in tall grasses it was better for these apes to be able to walk bipedally to look for predators and run faster. Similarly one can see that the ability to communicate conditions on and around the ground to your buddies would give a reason for speech and communication abilities to advance.

There's a lot more to it than this, but this is the rough version.

hmm very interesting.. however, i have a few things i want to point out. First, weren't apes and humans living in relatively the same place? Also humans ability to walk up right does not necessarily = smarter... Also the reason i asked this question was b/c i just saw a discovery channel special where apes were working together to catch a small monkey (and if anything hunting in trees would be more mentally demanding then the ground).

You say "conditions on and around ect ect" but can't we apply this logic to tons of other animals? You know who would get a kick out of communication? lions, tigers, cheetahs, ect ect

Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Insane00
[QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="Etherninty"]

Etherninty

Humans started using objects way before the apes.

Not true, apes have always used tools such as rocks and sticks in order to acquire food. For instance the use rocks to break bone to get out the marrow, and they use sticks in order to get termites out of their nests in order to eat them. We know that they do this in the wild without any human intervention, thus it stands the reason that apes have been using these techniques for as long as they have been around.

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
They didn't live in areas where there was rock that could be broken and used by their hands.
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 killtactics
[QUOTE="cowboymonkey21"][QUOTE="notconspiracy"]they aren't. there is no such thing as liner evolution. it is just adapting to one's environment. notconspiracy
Proove it.

prove a negative? sorry, but the TC's objection was based purely on a misunderstanding of darwinian evolution. There is no goal or purpose as natural selection is blind. This is a quite popular misconception, like bacteria are at the bottom while evolution is working slowly to inevitably create intelligent, bipedal creatures. in actuality, organisms simply adapt to changes in their environment

your hanging on the word "advanced" too much... i only used it to make a point.... ill put it this way, humans have much larger brains and are capable for more complex forums of thinking
Regneb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Regneb
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
it all started with bipedalism, which freed up the arms in order to carry things and use tools. Being capable to use these tools changed the diet to include more meats, which made the brains grow to a very large size because of the protein. This made early humans smarter than the average animal but the moment that drastically changed all of this was around 70000 years ago when a super-volcano in Indonesia erupted and killed everyone except approximately 2000 of the smartest, strongest, and probably luckiest humans. The aftermath of the volcano made it difficult to find resources in Africa which is why humans spread out into the rest of the world. watched this a few days ago on discovery channel...
cowboymonkey21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cowboymonkey21
[QUOTE="notconspiracy"][QUOTE="cowboymonkey21"][QUOTE="notconspiracy"]they aren't. there is no such thing as liner evolution. it is just adapting to one's environment. killtactics
Proove it.

your hanging on the word "advanced" too much... i only used it to make a point.... ill put it this way, humans have much larger brains and are capable for more complex forums of thinking

How do you know that we think more complex maybe they they think better.
Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Insane00

They didn't live in areas where there was rock that could be broken and used by their hands.quiglythegreat

Your saying that in all of Africa, Europe, Asia, and the Asian islands there are no naturally occuring hand sized rocks that could be used to bash open nuts or bones? Sorry if I don't buy that.

killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 killtactics
it all started with bipedalism, which freed up the arms in order to carry things and use tools. Being capable to use these tools changed the diet to include more meats, which made the brains grow to a very large size because of the protein. This made early humans smarter than the average animal but the moment that drastically changed all of this was around 70000 years ago when a super-volcano in Indonesia erupted and killed everyone except approximately 2000 of the smartest, strongest, and probably luckiest humans. The aftermath of the volcano made it difficult to find resources in Africa which is why humans spread out into the rest of the world. watched this a few days ago on discovery channel...Regneb
Apes have been using tools for quite some time now....
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts

[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]They didn't live in areas where there was rock that could be broken and used by their hands.Insane00

Your saying that in all of Africa, Europe, Asia, and the Asian islands there are no naturally occuring hand sized rocks that could be used to bash open nuts or bones? Sorry if I don't buy that.

Smashing is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about primitive tools that could be used for puncturing or cutting, and few rocks commonly break apart so that they yield any form useful for any sort of sophisticated work (that is, anything other than smashing).
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 killtactics
[QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="notconspiracy"][QUOTE="cowboymonkey21"][QUOTE="notconspiracy"]they aren't. there is no such thing as liner evolution. it is just adapting to one's environment. cowboymonkey21
Proove it.

How do you know that we think more complex maybe they they think better.

How do i know? Compare a monkeys brain to a humans.... or our language....i could go on but i wont..
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 killtactics
[QUOTE="Insane00"]

[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]They didn't live in areas where there was rock that could be broken and used by their hands.quiglythegreat

Smashing is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about primitive tools that could be used for puncturing or cutting, and few rocks commonly break apart so that they yield any form useful for any sort of sophisticated work (that is, anything other than smashing).

So what your saying is: cutting is the basses for human evolution? What about the teeth of dead animals?
Regneb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Regneb
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
yeah that's just the first step though. Maybe that's why a chimpanzee is 'smarter' than another animal.
Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Insane00

it all started with bipedalism, which freed up the arms in order to carry things and use tools. Being capable to use these tools changed the diet to include more meats, which made the brains grow to a very large size because of the protein. This made early humans smarter than the average animal but the moment that drastically changed all of this was around 70000 years ago when a super-volcano in Indonesia erupted and killed everyone except approximately 2000 of the smartest, strongest, and probably luckiest humans. The aftermath of the volcano made it difficult to find resources in Africa which is why humans spread out into the rest of the world. watched this a few days ago on discovery channel...Regneb

There is a possibility of this, but certainly no definite scientific evidence.

70,000 years ago there were human ancestors such as Homo Erectus all over the old world.

Neanderthals lived in Europe.

And Homo Sapiens (that is Cro magnon man, not homo sapiens sapiens aka modern man) had already begun traveling out of Africa.

Remember, Discover dumbs things down so folks with no formal training will be interested in what they say. 80% of the stuff they say in their specials is taken out of context and has very little world wide support, namely because the well known stuff isn't very interesting and doen't intrigue the average joe.

Robertoey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Robertoey
Member since 2005 • 1996 Posts

In some respects, they are more capable of thinking. Was watching one test where the numbers 1-9 all pop up on a screen. And the ape attempts to hit them all in numerical order. Chimps were significantly faster than humans. There was another test that involved the same procefure, except once the first symbol was hit, all the rest became blank and the chimps would continue to press them all in order. They did better than humans again. Shows that they can recognize and sequence symbols.