simple question from a drunk person

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bminns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bminns
Member since 2004 • 4052 Posts

i'm writing a paper, and i need your help.. which sentence is the correct one to use:

1) should dave warn upper management about bob and ryan's intentions?

2) should dave warn upper management about bob's and ryan's intentions?

I'm thinking it's option #1, but i'm not sure...

please help!

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

i'm writing a paper, and i need your help.. which sentence is the correct one to use:

please help!

bminns

Well, the intentions are those of "Bob" and "Ryan", rather than being the intentions of "Bob and Ryan".

bminns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bminns

[QUOTE="bminns"]

please help!

MrGeezer

Well, the intentions are those of "Bob" and "Ryan", rather than being the intentions of "Bob and Ryan".

i see what you're saying, but are one of the options correct? if they're both not correct, how could i reword this?

Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

Neither. You need to capitalize the first letter of the sentence. :)

Then I would choose option #1.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="bminns"]

please help!

bminns

i see what you're saying, but are one of the options correct? if they're both not correct, how could i reword this?

I don't know, man. I THINK that number two is correct, but then again, I never have been big on reading and grammar and ****. So whatever I have to say, take it with a huge grain of salt.

But I THINK that #2 is right. Because what we are really talking about are "intentions", and those intentions belong to Bob and Ryan (which makes them "Bob's and Ryan's intentions").

By contrast, #1 makes it seem like you are concerned about Ryan's intentions, but are also just concerned about Bob in general. I mean, take the claim that you are concerned about "Bob and Ryan's intentions." That implies that there are two things that you are concerned about. You're concerned about Bob. You are also concerned about Ryan's intentions. But Bob has nothing to do with Ryan's intentions. And you are not really concerned about Bob's intentions, you're just generally concerned about Bob. And furthermore, if "Bob" and "Ryan's intentions" are different and distinct concerns, then you ought to be able to flip that around and say that you are concerned about "Ryan's intentions and Bob." Once you flip the two parts around, does the meaning change? If so, then I think that #1 is wrong.

Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts
Number one seems to roll off the tongue better.
bminns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bminns

[QUOTE="bminns"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

I don't know, man. I THINK that number two is correct, but then again, I never have been big on reading and grammar and ****. So whatever I have to say, take it with a huge grain of salt.

But I THINK that #2 is right. Because what we are really talking about are "intentions", and those intentions belong to Bob and Ryan (which makes them "Bob's and Ryan's intentions").

By contrast, #1 makes it seem like you are concerned about Ryan's intentions, but are also just concerned about Bob in general. I mean, take the claim that you are concerned about "Bob and Ryan's intentions." That implies that there are two things that you are concerned about. You're concerned about Bob. You are also concerned about Ryan's intentions. But Bob has nothing to do with Ryan's intentions. And you are not really concerned about Bob's intentions, you're just generally concerned about Bob. And furthermore, if "Bob" and "Ryan's intentions" are different and distinct concerns, then you ought to be able to flip that around and say that you are concerned about "Ryan's intentions and Bob." Once you flip the two parts around, does the meaning change? If so, then I think that #1 is wrong.

i see what you're saying.. i'm thinking #2 is correct, because it's not just ryan's intentions, but bob's intentions as well.. so it has to be bob's and ryan's intentions... that seems like the answer, but when you say it out loud it just doesn't sound right.. bob and ryan's intentions sounds better, but now i'm thinking #2 is correct

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrGeezer

Number one seems to roll off the tongue better. Luncbox1

I agree entirely that #1 rolls off the tongue better. The only thing is that, at least from my point of view, #1 isn't actually saying the same thing as #2. And with that in mind, I still have to side with #2, because #2 seems to be more consistent with the point that the TC is actually trying to get across.

But again, like I said, I very well be wrong. I'm certainly no expert on the english language.

Poedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Poedon
Member since 2002 • 2594 Posts
Just reword it so it isn't confusing. Should Dave warn upper managemnet about the intentions of Bob and Ryan?
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

it should be ryans, not ryan's, correct?

ryan's is a contraction (ryan is). ryans is a possessive pronoun (of ryan, belongs to ryan).

example

my suggestion would be 'bob and ryans intentions.' i believe the plural falls on the last subject in examples like this. 'bobs and ryans' is just awkward and redundant.

correct me if you think i'm wrong.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#11 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

I'd go with #2 for this reason: in 1 it can be taken that dave is going to warn management of bob and ryan's intentions, in other words dave will warn management of bob (whatever bob is going to do) and ryan's intentions. Bob is just a person here, he has no attatchment to the intentions. Bob's and Ryan's intentions though makes more sense, since they are the intentions of Bob and Ryan.

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

ryan's is a contraction (ryan is). ryans is a possessive pronoun (of ryan, belongs to ryan).

example

my suggestion would be 'bob and ryans intentions.' i believe the plural falls on the last subject in examples like this. 'bobs and ryans' is just awkward and redundant.

3picuri3
Yeah that only applies to the word "it". Otherwise, just adding an 's' makes it plural, as though there is more than one Ryan. Nouns need an 's or s' to make it possessive.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

example

3picuri3

The 's also shows possession. In fact one of the first things you learn about grammar and proper punctuation is how to make a noun possess something.

Poedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Poedon
Member since 2002 • 2594 Posts
From wikipedia Joint and separate possession A distinction is made between joint possession (Jason and Sue's emails: the emails between Jason and Sue, or from them jointly) and separate possession (Jason's and Sue's emails: the emails of Jason and the emails of Sue). Style guides differ only in how much detail they provide concerning these.[3] Their consensus: in joint possession only the last possessor has possessive inflection; in separate possession all the possessors have possessive inflection. But if any of the possessors is indicated by a pronoun, then for both joint and separate possession all of the possessors have possessive inflection (His and her emails; His, her, and Anthea's emails; Jason's and her emails; His and Sue's emails; His and Sue's wedding; His and Sue's weddings). so it depends are the intentions the same or do they ahve different intentions
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i think #1 sounds a lot better. i think there should be a comma between management and about.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrGeezer

From wikipedia Joint and separate possession A distinction is made between joint possession (Jason and Sue's emails: the emails between Jason and Sue, or from them jointly) and separate possession (Jason's and Sue's emails: the emails of Jason and the emails of Sue). Style guides differ only in how much detail they provide concerning these.[3] Their consensus: in joint possession only the last possessor has possessive inflection; in separate possession all the possessors have possessive inflection. But if any of the possessors is indicated by a pronoun, then for both joint and separate possession all of the possessors have possessive inflection (His and her emails; His, her, and Anthea's emails; Jason's and her emails; His and Sue's emails; His and Sue's wedding; His and Sue's weddings). so it depends are the intentions the same or do they ahve different intentionsPoedon

Hmm, well, I guess it turns out that I was wrong (not necessarily as far as which one is correct, but either way it looks like my reasoning was just plain wrong).

So..."oops".

Avatar image for DaMattGuy-360XL
DaMattGuy-360XL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaMattGuy-360XL
Member since 2009 • 108 Posts
Grammar make head hurt! Ugh! ROFL I'm about 89% sure that the correct choice is #1.