Should the US withdraw their troops from Europe?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Seeing as there is no threat to Europe itself atm, many people argue that the US should withdraw their troops. 

What do you think?

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

No

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4247 Posts

Any reasons as to why?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

A lot of European governments would hate that. Our military bases bring in a ton of money to European nations. It's all about the money.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

i guess if Europe wants us to leave

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

No, we're not really there to defend Europe...

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deeliman

A lot of European countries would hate that. Our military bases bring in a ton of money to European nations.

Wasdie
How so?
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
There shouldn't be a single US troop outside its own borders unless the country is attacked or they are responding to a natural disaster.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

A lot of European countries would hate that. Our military bases bring in a ton of money to European nations.

deeliman

How so?

Soliders spend tons into the local communities, the bases get a lot of their supplies locally. They are cash farms for nations. Also it's added defense. Why keep up your military budget when the US has a base planted in your nation?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

No

Squeets

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

How so?

Soliders spend tons into the local communities, the bases get a lot of their supplies locally. They are cash farms for nations. Also it's added defense. Why keep up your military budget when the US has a base planted in your nation?

Because we can't trust that our interests are being served?

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

How so?

my country's military, singapore, rented a huge plot of land for a dollar in austrailia to have full scale military exercies, the locals are rich because of the said spending. So it is mutually beneficial for both parties, the same reason why european countries let the US have bases in theirs.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

No

Squeets

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

no, that'd be a lose-lose for everyone.

Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

I don't see why not. I mean, the Cold War is over. I suppose you could keep some there, but the political boundaries have been redrawn so much sine the 1990's.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="deeliman"] How so?punkpunker

my country's military, singapore, rented a huge plot of land for a dollar in austrailia to have full scale military exercies, the locals are rich because of the said spending. So it is mutually beneficial for both parties, the same reason why european countries let the US have bases in theirs.

Why does the U.S want them there?  I was just thinking and I'm sure the U.S doesn't station troops around the world to prop up economies.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deeliman

[QUOTE="punkpunker"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Mikey132

Why does the U.S want them there?  I was just thinking and I'm sure the U.S doesn't station troops around the world to prop up economies.

Probably because of strategic purposes.
Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mikey132

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

[QUOTE="punkpunker"]

deeliman

Probably because of strategic purposes.

That would be my guess too.  I can see airbases over there but troops on the ground seems like a waste of money now.  As long as the English Channel exsist there will always be a stepping stone into Europe if a military force is needed.  (Given U.S/English relations hold up)

So like you said, strategic purposes.  Just there..... watching, waiting.... for what?  The resurrection of Stalin of course!

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Europe needs us to defend them.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deeliman

HyperWarlock
Seems like a good deal for the Europeans.
Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mikey132

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

deeliman

Didn't I just read a thread about how the EU could whoop the Russians?

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deeliman

[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

Mikey132

I'm just saying, if it was true it would be a sweet deal for them would it not? Besides, why spent money on something if your neighbour across the pond is more than happy to foot the bill?

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mikey132

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

[QUOTE="deeliman"] Seems like a good deal for the Europeans.deeliman

I'm just saying, if it was true it would be a sweet deal for them would it not? Besides, why spent money on something if your neighbour across the pond is more than happy to foot the bill?

Well no doubt it's gotta be a sweet deal for them.  I'd love to have a strong army located here to protect me... oh wait, the U.S border is 25 minutes away....  I do! :)

I can see why they are there though, it's no secret that Europe loves it's wars.  Been happening since the U.S was even a country........ or even discovered.    

Is there a map of where they are located.  Now I'd like to see if troop placement looks strategic or if we'll just be sending fisherman back to Dunkirk one day.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deeliman

[QUOTE="deeliman"]

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

Mikey132

Well no doubt it's gotta be a sweet deal for them.  I'd love to have a strong army located here to protect me... oh wait, the U.S border is 25 minutes away....  I do! :)

I can see why they are there though, it's no secret that Europe loves it's wars.  Been happening since the U.S was even a country........ or even discovered.    

Is there a map of where they are located.  Now I'd like to see if troop placement looks strategic or if we'll just be sending fisherman back to Dunkirk one day.

I know that most are located in Germany, I'll try to find a map though.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deeliman

[QUOTE="deeliman"]

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

Mikey132

map-br79.png

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
Sure, those bases where there because of the Warsaw Pact and the Soviet Union. Neither exist now so we should leave.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

yes.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mikey132

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

[QUOTE="deeliman"] I'm just saying, if it was true it would be a sweet deal for them would it not? Besides, why spent money on something if your neighbour across the pond is more than happy to foot the bill?

deeliman

map-br79.png

Too many look to far into western Europe to be useful.  Now that could also be a staging point for a war in the east so the bases don't get abolished in a surprise attack.  

I would keep Gibralter, So will the English!  And the one in Crete, along with the German ones.  The bases in West Europe seem to be doing nothing more than taking up space in todays age. 

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
The main purpose of the bases isn't so we can defend Europe. While that may have been a goal in the past in the present their locations allow US troops to get to certain hotspots faster. You can move troops to a Middle Eastern country faster from Germany than from in the US mainland. Of course, there is a drawdown already in place, ten years ago we had two full divisions in Germany (1st Infantry Division and 1st Armored Division) and both of them have already been moved to Kansas and Texas.
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

US presence in Europe has been massively reduced since the end of the cold war from around 300,000 to about 60,000

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

Let's see.

Saving money, Europeans will be happy, their Governemnts not so much. Sure, why not.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts
[QUOTE="deeliman"]

Seeing as there is no threat to Europe itself atm, many people argue that the US should withdraw their troops. 

What do you think?

Hemmaroids
Russia

Yeah, because Russia is going to invade a place where they sell LOTS of oil for a high profit. While at it I hear shooting your own feet does wonders for walking.
Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

[QUOTE="deeliman"]

What do you think?

Hemmaroids

Russia

You forget the entire reason why Russia set up the Eastern Bloc in the first place. It wasn't done to conquer territory, but rather to set up buffer states for themselves. Europe's aggressive spirit has calmed down a lot since World War II and the Cold War. Honestly, I don't think they would feel the need to invade any state to create a buffer at all.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

yes, we should pull all soldiers out, and bring them all home let the world fend for it self.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

The U.S. seems to think that they are a strategic benefit and the Euros don't mind the small stimulus that it gives them, so no, there's probably not much of a point in withdrawing them.

HyperWarlock

Defend them from what? There is basically no entity in the world that can reach, attack and defeat the Euros on their home soil.

[QUOTE="deeliman"]

What do you think?

Hemmaroids

Russia

Is not a threat to Europe.
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

yes, we should pull all soldiers out, and bring them all home let the world fend for it self.

WilliamRLBaker

I find it rather worrying that you sincerely believe you're protecting us.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
No.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
No.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Considering how much extra money GIs get when they're overseas, sure.

I see all these young GIs with new, fast V8 or turbocharged cars already paid for. I'm sure they made all that dough from being overseas.

One fringe benefit of being overseas is being able to buy (US) cars tax-free in US bases overseas. Then add all the discounts. That's a pretty hefty chunk of change.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#43 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts
No need.
Praisedasun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Praisedasun
Member since 2013 • 504 Posts

Why the hell would russia attack europe?

Also,europe doesn't need any defense.

Those bases help the US reach the middle east faster and more efficiently,so there is no reason for them to abaddon them.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deeliman

Why the hell would russia attack europe?

Also,europe doesn't need any defense.

Those bases help the US reach the middle east faster and more efficiently,so there is no reason for them to abaddon them.

Praisedasun
Some people believe Russia wouldn't mind losing 80% of their oil/gas exports for some reason.
Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
No, we need to keep Britain in check.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deeliman
No, we need to keep Britain in check. NationProtector
Then why are the overwhelming majority of bases and troops in Germany?
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
The majority of those bases are centered in or close to Germany as a result of having been established when it was split between US and Soviet control, When the Berlin wall fell the Russians eventually withdrew and closed down the bases. The US remains for reasons I have to assume is strategy advantages and a possible entry point if the or a nearby European country "starts to mess with the US". But It also grants revenue to the country it is in as the soldiers buy local products and in many cases the US pays rent to have their base on foreign soil.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Someone asked where all the bases in Europe are, here is a better picture of where the bases are located and by branch.

US Military Bases In Europe

I will also leave this here.

German town fears loss of U.S. Army base which shows how much of an economic impact a base has on surrounding cities and towns (this also holds true to cities and towns in the US). 

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Also, isn't Germany not allowed to go full force with their army, like Japan?