Should religion and government mix?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
I say no, it just gets in the way most of the time. Europe generally doesnt mix religion with politics and they are doing fine. Some people say that you need religion to have morals, but that is just a stupid thing to think. I am not religous and I have morals.
notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 notconspiracy
Member since 2007 • 2225 Posts
it depends on what one would consider to be a mixing of religion and politics
Hoodlym_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hoodlym_UK
Member since 2006 • 430 Posts

Religion should be a part of politics, but in no way should it control it.

If religion drives politics it would most likely become biased towards whatever the religion believes.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
No, no, no and no.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Film-Guy

If religion drives politics it would most likely become biased towards whatever the religion believes.

Hoodlym_UK

Why do you think religion should be apart of politics, if it is then eventually it will comtrol more and more of it.

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts
Religion should be at least 100 metres away from Politics at all times.
Hoodlym_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hoodlym_UK
[QUOTE="Hoodlym_UK"]

Film-Guy

Why do you think religion should be apart of politics, if it is then eventually it will comtrol more and more of it.

I mean it in a sense that politics should not eradicate religion, instead they must accomidate their believes and values, there's a difference between religion being a subject of political discussion and relgion controling that discussion.. if you know what I mean.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Probably not, but it's inevitable. Religion plays such a large role in peoples lives, that it's hard for it not to have an affect in the political world.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="Hoodlym_UK"]

Hoodlym_UK

I mean it in a sense that politics should not eradicate religion, instead they must accomidate their believes and values, there's a difference between religion being a subject of political discussion and relgion controling that discussion.. if you know what I mean.

I see what you mean, I agree that government should not exclude religion, but it also shouldnt give religions tax exempt status. I dont see why our government does that.

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#10 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts
No. Religion is moral authority, the government's only concern is the betterment of our country.
ernie1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ernie1989
Member since 2004 • 8547 Posts
No. I would rather not have follow certian morals and values when I have morals and values.
Hoodlym_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hoodlym_UK
[QUOTE="Hoodlym_UK"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="Hoodlym_UK"]

Film-Guy

I see what you mean, I agree that government should not exclude religion, but it also shouldnt give religions tax exempt status. I dont see why our government does that.

Whoa that's a bummer, what ever happend to not being treated differently based on religion O_o.

B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 B05T0N
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
110% no.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="Hoodlym_UK"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="Hoodlym_UK"]

Hoodlym_UK

Whoa that's a bummer, what ever happend to not being treated differently based on religion O_o.

I dunno, I don't dislike religion, but I see no reason why they should get tax emempt status.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
no. i personally have no religious beliefs and i'd hate to have to live in a world with religion being a serious influence in politics. it just wouldn't work with me.
JLAudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 JLAudio7
Member since 2007 • 2729 Posts
sure why not. i mean, look how good the muslim countries are doing. oh wait.
DoHo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DoHo
Member since 2005 • 6570 Posts
Religion and politics should be seperate. In general they should respect each other, and in some instances compliment each other. But over all state and religion should be seperate. Not everyone is Christian, or Muslim or Jewish--you can't account for everyone.
Proobie44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Proobie44
Member since 2006 • 5663 Posts
500% no.
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
Religion shouldn't be mixing with anything, much less government.
buldog300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#20 buldog300
Member since 2003 • 2152 Posts
They don't.An issue arises either caused by or directed towards religions and the government decides to make it political, thus discouraging religious people from stopping the issue.
krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
Never. I'm not advocating banning religion, but basing government decisions on it is unwise.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
Not in democracy. I don't see a problem with it happening in a theocracy or constitutional monarchy or empire, however.
Napster06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 Napster06
Member since 2004 • 5659 Posts

It depends actually. In the Middle East its perfectly fine. There are some government which runs both but split them up accordingly.

Even Britain is starting to consider Syariah Law.

Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts
Religion should STAY OUT OF POLITICS, keep church in the chuch. And I especially don't want the 08 presidential candidates to let their religious beliefs influence their policies, that would be such bull****
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

No, never, aboslutely not, religion and politics are bad enough by themselves, but together?!

omgz

Seriously though, they just get in the way of each other, I remember when people were saying "Vote for bush because if you don't then you're not a christian!!!"

I facepalmed so many times during that election.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
Don't see why not.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#27 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Never. There is nothing wrong with being religious and being in government, but your first duty is to your country not your religion.
gun65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 gun65
Member since 2004 • 3312 Posts
Generally,no.
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

No, it would never work. Theory & faith don't mix. The only adaptation I could see would be methodism. But methodism is a backseat religion so I don't believe there would be a point.

Government is based on logic. Religion is not. So you would be trying to convey reasonable and unreasonable.

banedonoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 banedonoes
Member since 2007 • 701 Posts
No, no, no and no.luke1889
notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 notconspiracy
come to think of it...YES YES AND YES!!!!!!!
thnickaman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thnickaman13
Member since 2006 • 633 Posts
The thing is, the only way to completely keep politics and religion apart is to keep religious people out of politics. A person's religion defines many of the decisions he will make. You can't simply tell the person to turn his religion off.
notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 notconspiracy
The thing is, the only way to completely keep politics and religion apart is to keep religious people out of politics. A person's religion defines many of the decisions he will make. You can't simply tell the person to turn his religion off.thnickaman13
so you mean, not allow religious people to run for office or vote?
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
[QUOTE="thnickaman13"]The thing is, the only way to completely keep politics and religion apart is to keep religious people out of politics. A person's religion defines many of the decisions he will make. You can't simply tell the person to turn his religion off.notconspiracy

If you want to completely and utterly keep religion away from the government -- and even that will not suffice, considering that the religious still vote.
onefiredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 onefiredude
Member since 2007 • 296 Posts
no, because not all of the society is of one religion. Everyone has different beliefs, but for the nation there is only one government.
thnickaman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thnickaman13

[QUOTE="notconspiracy"][QUOTE="thnickaman13"]The thing is, the only way to completely keep politics and religion apart is to keep religious people out of politics. A person's religion defines many of the decisions he will make. You can't simply tell the person to turn his religion off.CptJSparrow

If you want to completely and utterly keep religion away from the government -- and even that will not suffice, considering that the religious still vote.

I think I'm coming off wrong. I don't want to separate the two. In fact I meant to show just how rediculous the notion of keeping religion out of politics is.
allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts

They shouldn't be, but imagine if a government and all it's people fully supported one religion? It would definetly slip it's way into political proceedings.

Then of course we have to take into account what counts as religion? Do traditional christian morals count? If not what do we rely on to determine what is right and wrong and therefore against the law?

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MagnumPI
Fools. You're too naive to realize it would cause more problems than it would repair. You can't give an unreasonable person authority. It would be a disaster. Many religious people are delusional and religion only encourages them. We don't need people like that making decisions.
Avatar image for RKfromDownunder
RKfromDownunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RKfromDownunder
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

It depends actually. In the Middle East its perfectly fine. There are some government which runs both but split them up accordingly.

Napster06

Its NEVER fine. Just because its the status quo doesn't mean that its fine or acceptable. There are some things that just should never be. For centuries, our ancestors existed in Monarchies and empires. Just because it was the status quo then doesn't mean it was the right thing.

And NO Britain is not even starting to think about considering Syariah Law. The archbishop suggested it in his foolish arrogance and got a MASSIVE public and political backlash. Too right, what a completely STUPID thing to say. Someone of his position should keep his head FAR away from the realms of politics or legislature.

notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 notconspiracy
[QUOTE="notconspiracy"][QUOTE="thnickaman13"]The thing is, the only way to completely keep politics and religion apart is to keep religious people out of politics. A person's religion defines many of the decisions he will make. You can't simply tell the person to turn his religion off.CptJSparrow

well thank god we live in a constitutional republic were our rights are guranteed.
thnickaman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thnickaman13

Fools. You're too naive to realize it would cause more problems than it would repair. You can't give an unreasonable person authority. It would be a disaster. Many religious people are delusional and religion only encourages them. We don't need people like that making decisions.MagnumPI

Many unreligious people are also delusional. Many women are delusional. Many blacks are delusional. Should we keep all of them out of politics?

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

Napster06

If that ever happens, I shall be outraged. I can't believe the Archbishop suggested that. :|

If they want to live here in the UK, they should abide by our law, culture change or not. If they don't like it, they can blummin' well lump it and leave.

Crikey, if we went to their country and tried to get British law established, they'd probably execute us.

Napster06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 Napster06
Member since 2004 • 5659 Posts
[QUOTE="Napster06"]

luke1889

If that ever happens, I shall be outraged. I can't believe the Archbishop suggested that. :|

If they want to live here in the UK, they should abide by our law, culture change or not. If they don't like it, they can blummin' well lump it and leave.

Crikey, if we went to their country and tried to get British law established, they'd probably execute us.

I wonder why he did suggest that. And I have to agree with the getting the British law established etc.

I've asked someone and what he said was there is two courts in Britain. One for the Common Law and another Syariah Law. He even said Syariah Law is indirectly implemented. He defined it as 'preventive' law. I'm not sure about this though.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
judging by the state of the Middle East (today) and Europe in the 1300's, that's probably a bad thing.
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MagnumPI

[QUOTE="MagnumPI"] Fools. You're too naive to realize it would cause more problems than it would repair. You can't give an unreasonable person authority. It would be a disaster. Many religious people are delusional and religion only encourages them. We don't need people like that making decisions.thnickaman13

Many unreligious people are also delusional. Many women are delusional. Many blacks are delusional. Should we keep all of them out of politics?

Yes, but since we can't does that mean we should invite more?
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
Absolutely not, a secular government ensures that all religions and the non-religious get treated equally. I also wish people would stop voting for politicians just because they are of the same religion without taking anything else into consideration.
DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#47 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
nope.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
In a perfect world, never. But in a world where people wear their religion like a badge it is very difficult.
streak000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 streak000
Member since 2007 • 6802 Posts

Not in democracy. I don't see a problem with it happening in a theocracy or constitutional monarchy or empire, however.CptJSparrow

How does this make sense? Australia is a constitutional monarchy. So is Denmark. So are many other democracies. I don't know why you would condemn people from these countries to a religious government.... You know, democracy does not exclude monarchy...

And of course not. Religion should come nowhere near politics. As someone already said, religion shouldn't mix with anything, let alone the government of my country. We've already seen how well they mix in places like Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia......

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
No..