Should Poor People Have Kids?

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

Hello OT,

I always through about this debate countless times.....Should Poor People Have Kids?

Some say that not allowing humans to breed is simply wrong while some say that giving birth to children you cannot support financially is wrong as well.

What do you think?

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

In the US, people have rights, so no limits should be put onpeople to have children.

Personally, I think IQ tests and birthing licenses would be great. Certain people should have their number of spawn monitered and limited.

UbiquitousAeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 UbiquitousAeon
Member since 2010 • 2099 Posts

Depends on how poor. If you're living on food stamps and can't pay your bills, of course not. That's just irresponsible, you're in no position to raise a child.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#4 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
second option is the best. Don't let them have a baby until they solve their financial problems. Those people have problems already and they're adding another problem.
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JasonDarksavior
second option is the best. Don't let them have a baby until they solve their financial problems. Those people have problems already and they're adding another problem.shadowchronicle
Thats what I said to a mate, and he said that not allowing someone to have kids is a breach of rights. I think it's right both ways. Not allowing someone seems wrong but allowing it to give birth is wrong as well.
TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts

It's completely irresponsible and a bad idea for a person in a dire financial/other situation to have a kid, but the government should not have the authority to force a person to not have children.

nelson415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 nelson415
Member since 2007 • 1807 Posts

Depends on how poor. If you're living on food stamps and can't pay your bills, of course not. That's just irresponsible, you're in no position to raise a child.

UbiquitousAeon

I'll have to agree with this. I always see single mothers of 3-5 infants/toddlers and they are financially unstable.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

For the sake of the child, I would hope that the adults exercise good discretion and are willing and able to make lifestyIe changes to ensure the child is supported. Kids are expensive, and needless to say, a poor financial situation at home is not helping set them up for success later in life.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I'm not going to tell people if they can or can't procreate, but I would appreciate it if people only had children if they knew they could handle the responsiblity because I don't like seeing people draining the system (in this case I'm referring to government programs) because they can't make responsible decisions. Doing so affects other people, and that's what I have a problem with.
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shadowchronicle

[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]second option is the best. Don't let them have a baby until they solve their financial problems. Those people have problems already and they're adding another problem.JasonDarksavior
Thats what I said to a mate, and he said that not allowing someone to have kids is a breach of rights. I think it's right both ways. Not allowing someone seems wrong but allowing it to give birth is wrong as well.

Yeah it is right and wrong in both ways. But that doesn't help in terrible economy like right now in the USA. Obama already plans on universal healthcare which is too much money and no doctor will look forward to that.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

normal poor people: only a few, at most

3rd world country poor: ummmm no?

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
No, they probably shouldn't, but it's not up to the government to prohibit them from doing so - they should be exercising some of their common sense. Too bad that can't be issued to them in the mail.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

If they cant afford to take care of themselves then, yes they should not be allowed to have children. People are just irresponsible though, and dont actually think about the consequences 9/10 times. Its sad, but true.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

As a supporter of personal freedoms, if someone wants to have a kid they should be allowed to.

The government doesn't need to have a say in who gets to make babies and who doesn't.

UbiquitousAeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UbiquitousAeon
I'm not going to tell people if they can or can't procreate, but I would appreciate it if people only had children if they knew they could handle the responsiblity because I don't like seeing people draining the system (in this case I'm referring to government programs) because they can't make responsible decisions. Doing so affects other people, and that's what I have a problem with.t3hrubikscube
I think the only reason the government has those programs is because people are irresponsible. I think the government should take those programs away. See how that works out for a change...
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
if they want to ruin their lives, i don't see what's stopping them.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15584 Posts

Well how poor are we talking?

I mean homeless no, but lower class, yes, as long as the child can live a happy healthy life.

Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shadowchronicle
if they want to ruin their lives, i don't see what's stopping them.themagicbum9720
they aren't helping the people around them either. It could also be a selfish decision.
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4262 Posts

What if your poor, but you know you are going to become rich??? Then I think having kids becomes debatable.

heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"][QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]second option is the best. Don't let them have a baby until they solve their financial problems. Those people have problems already and they're adding another problem.shadowchronicle

Yeah it is right and wrong in both ways. But that doesn't help in terrible economy like right now in the USA. Obama already plans on universal healthcare which is to much money and no doctor will look forward to that.

Actually, crime rates, jobless claims, poverty levels and domestic violence are lower in areas with higher rates of abortion. the simple fact of the matter is, poor people are much, much better off not having kids.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

Hello OT,

I always through about this debate countless times.....Should Poor People Have Kids?

Some say that not allowing humans to breed is simply wrong while some say that giving birth to children you cannot support financially is wrong as well.

What do you think?

JasonDarksavior
hell yeah, earth need cashiers and peoples to fill my gas tank
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

I think the only reason the government has those programs is because people are irresponsible. I think the government should take those programs away. See how that works out for a change... UbiquitousAeon

It will "work out" with people who are completely dependent on those payments starving or resorting to crime as they do in other nations where government support is not available. It will not stop people from making bad decisions and having children they can't support.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]I'm not going to tell people if they can or can't procreate, but I would appreciate it if people only had children if they knew they could handle the responsiblity because I don't like seeing people draining the system (in this case I'm referring to government programs) because they can't make responsible decisions. Doing so affects other people, and that's what I have a problem with.UbiquitousAeon
I think the only reason the government has those programs is because people are irresponsible. I think the government should take those programs away. See how that works out for a change...

Well, I don't really agree with said programs in the first place, but I just kind of had to acknowledge their existence. It'd be a bit chaotic right now if the government suddenly decided to completely cut everyone off from the programs. I do disagree with them overall though.
UbiquitousAeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UbiquitousAeon

As a supporter of personal freedoms, if someone wants to have a kid they should be allowed to.

The government doesn't need to have a say in who gets to make babies and who doesn't.

airshocker
Unfortunately, overpopulation will become a very real problem in the future. That is if there is no intervention, eventually. I'm not saying that now is the time to tell people to stop, but I can guarantee you that somewhere down the road, there will be intervention.
binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 binpink
Member since 2009 • 9163 Posts

It's completely irresponsible and a bad idea for a person in a dire financial/other situation to have a kid, but the government should not have the authority to force a person to not have children.

TM_Darkside

I agree, the government should stay out of it. I don't want the parents asking for financial help at any point either. Wishful thinking I know but it's awful seeing people insist that having their children paid for by everyone else is a "right" of some kind. No personal responsibility.

JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JasonDarksavior
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

UbiquitousAeon
Unfortunately, overpopulation will become a very real problem in the future. That is if there is no intervention, eventually. I'm not saying that now is the time to tell people to stop, but I can guarantee you that somewhere down the road, there will be intervention.

Is the rate of people being born to dying much higher or just a bit?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58450 Posts

In the US, people have rights, so no limits should be put onpeople to have children.

Personally, I think IQ tests and birthing licenses would be great. Certain people should have their number of spawn monitered and limited.

heysharpshooter

birthing licenses, yes. There are way too many dumb parents, I think you should have to take at least a few months worth of classes before being allowed to have a child, and if you do get pregnant you should be forced to go before the baby is born or soon after.

But IQ tests? Thats a bit Big Brother imo. Plus, the world always needs ditch diggers.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
So that My paycheck can support them? No thanks.
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

mrbojangles25

birthing licenses, yes. There are way too many dumb parents, I think you should have to take at least a few months worth of classes before being allowed to have a child, and if you do get pregnant you should be forced to go before the baby is born or soon after.

But IQ tests? Thats a bit Big Brother imo. Plus, the world always needs ditch diggers.

Stupid people generally raise stupid children. its not like someone who digs ditches are stupid. My father has an IQ of 120, and he's in construction.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

One thing you're forgetting is that reproduction is not a man given right. It's nature. Nature didn't make countries & laws and base the world on man's unwillingness to share and help each other. Man created his own greed. Man decided he should conquer and dictate. Man decided he should possess all of the wealth and own everything. So I'm not going to saypoor people can't have children simply because they aren't wealthy.I'm not going to punish decent people because others abuse welfare.

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

I dont think a law about it should be made. But people should know their financial situation well enough to see if they can afford to raise kids.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

heysharpshooter

Stupid people generally raise stupid children. its not like someone who digs ditches are stupid. My father has an IQ of 120, and he's in construction.

I agree, sorry if I came off as if I was generalizing. I know some smart people in stereoptyical "stupid" jobs (janitors, construction, welding, painting,etc).

However, I also know some pretty stupid people in jobs like that as well. Proportionately, more of them.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there are not enough smart folks (like your Dad) that enjoy such work to fill all the positions, and they need to be supplemented by stupid people.

So while your dad is likely measuring and doing important stuff, he can have some stupid guy with a wheelborrow taking old drywall and stuff out to the dumpster.

Anyway, that is besides the point: I cannot really deny someone the joy of a child or two (hopefully not more) and live with myself, no matter how stupid or bigoted they might be, and have bad their children might turn out.

Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shadowchronicle
There is a difference between stupid people and smart people. A smart person might be smart naturally but they might not try. But a stupid person can try their best and be a smart person who tries.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I don't think it should be banned or anything. If they choose to bring children into their already struggling family, then that's their choice. it may be a bad one, but it's theirs. I don't think, though, that being poor should be an excuse for getting pregnant by accident. My birth control pills cost about $2 for 3 packs (3 months) with this little assistance card or something they gave me for free. I don't really need the assistance, but that just shows you how cheap it is.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

People have the right to make that fundamental choice.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mrbojangles25

One thing you're forgetting is that reproduction is not a man given right. It's nature. Nature didn't make countries & laws and base the world on man's unwillingness to share and help each other. Man created his own greed. Man decided he should conquer and dictate. Man decided he should possess all of the wealth and own everything. So I'm not going to saypoor people can't have children simply because they aren't wealthy.I'm not going to punish decent people because others abuse welfare.

MagnumPI

reminds me of that movie Fortress

you had more than one child. Go to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 dollars.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
If they are poor but not too poor then sure but just don't go over one. If they're dirt poor however I wouldn't even recommend them having sex... cause we all know how that will turn out.
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

mrbojangles25

I agree, sorry if I came off as if I was generalizing. I know some smart people in stereoptyical "stupid" jobs (janitors, construction, welding, painting,etc).

However, I also know some pretty stupid people in jobs like that as well. Proportionately, more of them.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there are not enough smart folks (like your Dad) that enjoy such work to fill all the positions, and they need to be supplemented by stupid people.

So while your dad is likely measuring and doing important stuff, he can have some stupid guy with a wheelborrow taking old drywall and stuff out to the dumpster.

Anyway, that is besides the point: I cannot really deny someone the joy of a child or two (hopefully not more) and live with myself, no matter how stupid or bigoted they might be, and have bad their children might turn out.

I agree that in the end, we can't limit people reproductive urges. However, children are not always a joy. Sometimes, they can truly be nothing but a burden, especially on people not smart or mature enough to handle them.

Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shadowchronicle
Or the government can make a frightening law where they will not support reproduction (as in healthcare) if the person doesn't make over 25,000 a year.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SgtKevali

I think that the whole concept of IQ tests to have children is going WAAAY too far.

That's the government controlling something that is not for the government to control.

The potential misuse is enormous. Remember those tests for voting?

heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 heysharpshooter

I think that the whole concept of IQ tests to have children is going WAAAY too far.

That's the government controlling something that is not for the government to control.

SgtKevali

But if the kids parents are poor, and they are not intellgent enough to make more money to support the child, then they end up paying to feed, cloth and eventually imprision the child. Should they not take preventative measures?

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fastr
To all the people saying it's a natural given right, and you can't tell someone they can't procreate.. why not? thats just BS. We tell people they can't do things that are natural and simple natural all the time. When I get pissed at someone, my natural primal instinct would be to attack them, if I did, I would be penalized. I can't piss in public, it's just a natural thing tho, part of my body yet it's controlled. You can't walk around naked, whats more natural then that? If you can't afford a car.. they wont give you a car, if you can't afford a kid, don't have a kid, specially when you just leach off of us hard working people afterward. People should try to be a productive part of society, not leach off of it. This country needs to cut welfare, it's just a horrid system.
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shadowchronicle
That post cleared my mind.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SgtKevali

But if the kids parents are poor, and they are not intellgent enough to make more money to support the child, then they end up paying to feed, cloth and eventually imprision the child. Should they not take preventative measures?

heysharpshooter

Maybe they shouldn't have the kid, but it's not the government's job to tell them what to do. People should have the right to make that kind of choice.

The potential for misuse is enormous, anyway.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I would hope that people have kids when they are best financially able to raise them, for their sake as well as that of their child(ren). I vehemently oppose the idea that the government should enforce this in any regards. Reproduction is a fundamental right, and should remain so.

heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 heysharpshooter

SgtKevali

Maybe they shouldn't have the kid, but it's not the government's job to tell them what to do. People should have the right to make that kind of choice.

But if the government supports the child, then whose child is it really? The government usually ends up adopting the children by force anyway. Why not save the money and create birthing licenses and have mandatory abortions?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Okay, what are we talking about when we refer to poor people "not being allowed" to have children? Forced abortion? Forced sterilization of poor people?

If we're talking about not allowing them to have children, then how the hell do you people propose preventing them from having children?

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fastr

I would hope that people have kids when they are best financially able to raise them, for their sake as well as that of their child(ren). I vehemently oppose the idea that the government should enforce this in any regards. Reproduction is a fundamental right, and should remain so.

coolbeans90
What makes it a fundamental right?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

heysharpshooter

for better or worse (the debate belongs in another forum, I wont start a welfare argument here) the government pretty much makes sure no one starves in the United States. So while your quality of life might be depressingly low, well, you won't die and there will be some sort of work for you, if you get off your butt.

now, the question is: do we want to lessen the amount of people living this lifestyle (the practical, yet arguably cold choice), or do we want to let people make their own decisions (the compassionate and humane, yet arguably impractical, choice)

I really dont know tbh. I am on the fence. As it is now, with the way the world is, I do not things are even remotely close to being so bad as to warrant population control to this degree

Furthermore, it is a slippery slope. Who, exactly, is too dumb to breed? Who is too fat? Who runs the risk of producing a child with Down Syndrome? Do you have a history of alcoholism or drug abuse in your family?

The amount of time it would take for society to devolve into a "Gattaca"-type one would be suprisingly fast.

Laserwolf65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Laserwolf65
Member since 2003 • 6701 Posts

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

But if the government supports the child, then whose child is it really? The government usually ends up adopting the children by force anyway. Why not save the money and create birthing licenses and have mandatory abortions?

because that's facism