Should movies start featuring intermissions again? (The Irishman)

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Scorsese's upcoming movie The Irishman is three and a half hours long and probably won't have an intermission. It's basically never done now. I know The Hateful Eight had one for some of its showings, but that's because Tarantino really respects the old. If you can sit still for three and a half hours, I commend you, but most people can't, which is why long plays and operas have had intermissions for centuries. If I have to use the pause button, there is a problem. I don't want to be tempted, because that makes it harder to pace myself. Plus, I could unknowingly pause it somewhere very important. They're talking and the next second someone is shot, for example. It throws off the pacing. I'd much rather have it stopped somewhere ideal.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I like the idea of a built-in intermission for exceptionally long movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Yes, it's unhealthy for sitting too long.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Good idea. I'd be in support of any move over 2 hours having an intermission. With longer movies having longer intermissions.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Intermission?

3 hours is a long time but no I don´t think an intermission should be put in, but then again I never go to a theater I wait for it to come out on Blu-ray and watch it at my home-theater which is 100 times better.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

If you can sit still for three and a half hours, I commend you, but most people can't, which is why long plays and operas have had intermissions for centuries.

Movie theater chairs have evolved into la-z-boy's unlike how it used to be similar to sitting on a cement. 210 minutes in a comfortable, reclining chair? Sure. The same time in an old cement like chair with springs poking your arse? No.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Do people really have trouble sitting through long movies? I mean sure, if the movie sucks, I'll get bored, but that's an issue with the film's quality, not length. Sitting still and paying attention to something on a giant screen for 2-3, even 4 hours really shouldn't be difficult, if you're interested in that thing to begin with. Go to the bathroom before it starts. And for home viewing? I don't think directors should be concerning themselves and messing with the pacing of their films in order to cater to people who have some bizarre aversion to the pause button.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

If it's a three and a half hour mark, sure. Absolutely.

Cutting stuff out and changing it (Once Upon A Time In West) can completely ruin it and change the entire context of scenes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@the_bi99man said:

Do people really have trouble sitting through long movies? I mean sure, if the movie sucks, I'll get bored, but that's an issue with the film's quality, not length. Sitting still and paying attention to something on a giant screen for 2-3, even 4 hours really shouldn't be difficult, if you're interested in that thing to begin with. Go to the bathroom before it starts. And for home viewing? I don't think directors should be concerning themselves and messing with the pacing of their films in order to cater to people who have some bizarre aversion to the pause button.

If you really don't think the runtime matters, then I dare you to watch the movie Out 1 in a single sitting. The uncut version. I double dare you.

Most of the people who will be watching The Irishman are the older generation, who will be in more pain sitting still for that long. It's unhealthy for everyone.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

It only feels long if the movie is slow or something. Endgame was 3.5 hours long, wasn't so bad.

I do like intermissions though for bathroom breaks. It's gotten to the point where I don't drink anything at the theater or before the movie simply so I don't have to go during the movie.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_bi99man

@ezekiel43: if you need to bring up a completely ridiculous outlandish example of a 13 hour movie to make this point, it's clearly not a real issue. Also, literally every person over 50 I've ever known is more than capable of sitting in a chair for 4 hours. They do it every single day, if not more. You can say "it's unhealthy" all you want, and you're probably right. Doesnt change that the vast majority of people do it, including old people.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I wouldn't mind it, but it would have to be a "real" intermission, at least 5 minutes long maybe even 10, so it gives me enough time to go to the restroom and back.

But I don't go to the movies so, ha, jokes on Hollywood.

Plus this is a Netflix film, just pause it when a scene is over.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Intermission?

3 hours is a long time but no I don´t think an intermission should be put in, but then again I never go to a theater I wait for it to come out on Blu-ray and watch it at my home-theater which is 100 times better.

Any pics of your home theatre?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@Master_Live said:

I'd rather not have to. Harder to pace myself, like a worker looking at their watch.

Loading Video...

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@Master_Live said:

I'd rather not have to. Harder to pace myself, like a worker looking at their watch.

Loading Video...

I don't understand, what is this "pace myself"? You watch, you stop it, you take a break, look at Twitter for 2 minutes, you continue.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@Master_Live said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@Master_Live said:

Loading Video...

I don't understand, what is this "pace myself"? You watch, you stop it, you look at Twitter for 5 minutes, you continue.

Or I could just keep watching without the ever-present temptation to pause that hurts the movie's flow, until I get to a controlled stop somewhere that is ideal. I tend to feel refreshed after an intermission, more ready for the second part. Honestly, if a movie has to rely on a pause button for the sake of its viewers, that's a flaw. The pause button isn't part of the movie, it's external.

@the_bi99man said:

@ezekiel43: if you need to bring up a completely ridiculous outlandish example of a 13 hour movie to make this point, it's clearly not a real issue. Also, literally every person over 50 I've ever known is more than capable of sitting in a chair for 4 hours. They do it every single day, if not more. You can say "it's unhealthy" all you want, and you're probably right. Doesnt change that the vast majority of people do it, including old people.

Citation needed. My coworkers and I sit all day. We need those breaks, if only to stretch out our legs and breathe. Most people don't like sitting for four hours straight. Outside of work, I'm a hermit, always in my home theater or before my computer, and even I hate sitting for that long.

I don't get why you guys are so opposed to this idea. As I said, plays and operas have had intermissions for hundreds of years. Why are you against this for long movies now?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_bi99man

@ezekiel43: I'm just pretty sure that most people don't need an intermission, are perfectly capable of sitting and watching an entire movie when they make a point of going to a theater to do exactly that, and would actually be more annoyed by the additional 10-20 minutes they would be forced to spend at the theater for a movie that's already very long.

And for home viewing, the pause button makes this a non-issue. I don't even know what you're talking about with this, "ever-present temptation to pause", and "movies relying on pause buttons" nonsense. Nobody makes a movie thinking about where people will want to pause the home video. That's ridiculous. They make movies to be watched, and when you watch them at home, you can pause at your own convenience. If you have some kind of uncontrollable urge to pause constantly just because you can, that sounds like a you-problem, and a weird one at that.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@ezekiel43: I'm just pretty sure that most people don't need an intermission, are perfectly capable of sitting and watching an entire movie when they make a point of going to a theater to do exactly that, and would actually be more annoyed by the additional 10-20 minutes they would be forced to spend at the theater for a movie that's already very long.

I don't need an intermission, am capable of sitting through a 2-3 hour movie, but I would prefer an intermission. This would make the movie more enjoyable for me -- especially going to see a movie with family.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

I don't get why you guys are so opposed to this idea. As I said, plays and operas have had intermissions for hundreds of years. Why are you against this for long movies now?

Plays and operas also have live performers doing shows nightly. They have intermissions not just for the benefit of the audience, but for the actors as well--to change costumes, touch up makeup, bathroom breaks, what have you. The last time I recall movies having intermissions were some of the bigger musicals or epic films from the 1950s, but then again, Hollywood didn't put out too many 3 hour plus movies back then either. With modern movies, it almost practically the norm.

In this day and age, I don't see too many studios or theater chains liking the idea for intermissions because they want to get as many showings for a movie as possible--a scheduled intermission interferes with that, even if it's only for 10-15 minutes. While I'm not disagreeing with you, the idea of an intermission in a modern movie just seems... antiquidated.

Elaisse2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elaisse2
Member since 2013 • 43 Posts

Its coming out on neflix 20 days later.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

Hell no. Don't want intermissions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#22 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I usually get up, take my piss, and return without missing a whole lot. It is what it is. An intermission could be cool, but I can usually live if I miss a few minutes of dialogue.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Depends how compelling the movie is. If time flies from me being entertained, I can sit for quite a while.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

Nah, that's what the pause button is for.

Going to theaters is for chumps!

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yeah, I think it would help. I hadn't watched a long movie such as Avengers: Endgame in a while. Thought I really needed a break while seeing that even though it was good.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
@hallenbeck77 said:
@ezekiel43 said:

Plays and operas also have live performers doing shows nightly. They have intermissions not just for the benefit of the audience, but for the actors as well--to change costumes, touch up makeup, bathroom breaks, what have you. The last time I recall movies having intermissions were some of the bigger musicals or epic films from the 1950s, but then again, Hollywood didn't put out too many 3 hour plus movies back then either. With modern movies, it almost practically the norm.

In this day and age, I don't see too many studios or theater chains liking the idea for intermissions because they want to get as many showings for a movie as possible--a scheduled intermission interferes with that, even if it's only for 10-15 minutes. While I'm not disagreeing with you, the idea of an intermission in a modern movie just seems... antiquidated.

Not only that, but in opera (and I assume it goes for other theater, just don't have any non-opera experience), there are clear delineations of the acts and where to put the intermission. I don't 100% recall if composers themselves put the intermission into the score, I don't have a score handy, but for the most part, each Act/scene is self-contained. It's easy to take a break in between acts, as it doesn't disrupt the storytelling and thematically the acts are completely different. (I hope that made sense)

A lot of movies do not have such a clear delineation, so it would feel forced and out of place. I wouldn't be opposed to an intermission in movies if the movie was constructed in a way that an intermission would feel natural

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Nah

BlackTiger_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BlackTiger_7
Member since 2003 • 50 Posts

I'm fine with or without intermissions, but yes, I do agree that movies need to bring them back. It gives you time to go to the bathroom or get some more popcorn without missing anything.