Should Americans have to pass a test to vote?

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 majwill24
Member since 2004 • 1355 Posts

I know its not a new question, but it something I figured I'll bring up again. There is so much talk about the tyranny of the majority, but what about the tyranny of the stupid? The voting process can help vet candidates to ensure they are qualified, but only if the voters have some semblance of intelligence and rational perspectives. Does it make sense that some Californian drop-out pot head or a superstitious farmhand have equal power to an educated individual?

I think about American society and how everything must be delivered into 1 minute sound bytes, even complex issues. Also, the bogeyman syndrome is another example of the simplicity of the American mind. They need to put face on something, to channel their energies to it. Recent examples of this are Osama Bin Laden, George W Bush, Greedy Bankers and now Obama. Americans seem to need a figure head, not just for the rallying effect, but maybe because their minds arent capable of dealing with the broader perspective of things.

I dont know the perfect solution, but people accept that needing to take a driving test before one get a license is considered a public safety issue, so why cant the stupid voters be in the same way and viewed as a threat to public safety?

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

I don't think so, everyone has the right to vote on who their leader is..

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

No, it's a right........I have to ask though, since you seem to only make and contribute to your own political threads, why don't you just join a political forum?

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

My teacher thinks there should be a basic intelligence test first.:P

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

Absolutely not - the propensity for abuse would be astronomical.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

dercoo

Who makes that test? And there in lies the problem. Any way, it's a right to vote.

Plus, the right wingers would go nuts when the tea party guys can't pass. :lol:

gohan2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gohan2710
Member since 2005 • 4315 Posts
1- Its a right for being a citizen of the US 2-Why do you keep making topics about the US?
Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#8 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts

No. It's an inalienable right given to all adult Americans.

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Using intelligence based tests would lead to something as similar as a literacy test or poll tax. Although it would be nice based on some of the people I've encountered. :P
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12393 Posts
There was once a mandatory test ........ it was used to stop the poor communities from voting .... not such a bad idea, until we started caring about them. Anyways what would they use ?? 1) A dog goes a) woof b) i like watermelon c) blat blat d) ahh duhh
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

SgtKevali

Who makes that test? And there in lies the problem. Any way, it's a right to vote.

And i'm sure the Left Wingers would go nuts when half their party or more fails..

Rheiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rheiken
Member since 2009 • 677 Posts
Nah, there should be no test. It's why we have the Electoral College anyways.
krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
No, it'd just be a glorified literacy test. It wasn't fair back then. It wouldn't be fair now.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

And i'm sure the Left Wingers would go nuts when half their party or more fails..

Calm down, I was partially kidding. Well, not really. Whatever. Have you seen the Tea Party guys?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts
The system seems to weed out the uninformed inherently. Masses of people throw away their right to vote because "one vote won't matter".
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

It would be great if we had a test that filtered out the uninformed voters from the ones capable of making informed voting decisions. Unfortunately, this can never happen in reality because whoever was in power at the time would probably design the test such that people with particular political viewpoints would never pass, or use it to keep out ethnicities like the literacy tests used in the South used to do back before we banned those.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SgtKevali

And anyway, this is the kind of bs that was used against blacks in the South.

Willo_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Willo_10
Member since 2005 • 2043 Posts
If you abolish the right to vote for all citizens, whats then to stop the government imposing further restrictions on voting depending on your ethnicity or religious beliefs? Having some ignorant people voting is the lesser of two evils when you consider the potential for abuse.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

wow this is so wrong on so many levels i dont even know where to start

majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 majwill24

Nah, there should be no test. It's why we have the Electoral College anyways. Rheiken

True, but candidates still have to campaign and appeal to the lowest common denominator. Campaigns are won more by speaking ability then real, articulate, detailed ideas. The few smart ones have to put aside their faculties if they want to win or stay in power.

As for abuse, well the status qua is too destructive and is getting worse. The world was alot more simpler back 200 years ago, but now its infinitely more complex and decisions have major ramifications on a global scale. Elections shouldn't be won by pandering and grotesque "get out the vote" campaigns, which are essentially bribing people who dontknow anything or has ever voted to vote for someone.

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

yes. cuz some ppl are stupid these days

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

So every other voter in the world is well informed and well educated? Must only be americans that have people that aren't up on the issues. Or do you presume to tell us that anyone with a point other than yours is stupid?

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#23 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
For a democracy to work, the people need to be able to make educated decisions and votes. Without proper education and knowledge of current events, you can't make an informed decision. Having a test to determine if a voter is competent enough is the wrong way of approaching the problem is incompetent voters though. For one thing, an intelligence test isn't enough; you can be intelligent but uninformed about current events. If you test for knowledge of current events, who is to say if their knowledge and understanding of current events is sufficient? Who do we give this power too? The potential for abuse is evident. Besides that, a test ignores the problem; it is a band-aid not a solution. To fix incompetent voters, we need better education and more accurate and through coverage of current events.
dracos9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 dracos9000
Member since 2006 • 1318 Posts

Make a 5th grade level test of general knowledge not specific knowledge if the person passes it then at least we know they are as intelligent as a 5th grader.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

No, because suffrage is a right. O_O

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SgtKevali

Make a 5th grade level test of general knowledge not specific knowledge if the person passes it then at least we know they are as intelligent as a 5th grader.

dracos9000

You don't get it, do you? Tests to vote are what they used to do in the South to discriminate against blacks.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12393 Posts

gamerguru100

you sick bastard :P

EDIT : no why did you have to edit your post ??

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
No, as it can be too often twisted for political or racial means (ie: stoping the poor, Latinos, or blacks from voting.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

For a democracy to work, the people need to be able to make educated decisions and votes. Without proper education and knowledge of current events, you can't make an informed decision. Having a test to determine if a voter is competent enough is the wrong way of approaching the problem is incompetent voters though. For one thing, an intelligence test isn't enough; you can be intelligent but uninformed about current events. If you test for knowledge of current events, who is to say if their knowledge and understanding of current events is sufficient? Who do we give this power too? The potential for abuse is evident. Besides that, a test ignores the problem; it is a band-aid not a solution. To fix incompetent voters, we need better education and more accurate and through coverage of current events. bededog

The problem isn't as simple as "we need better news sources". We could have better news sources and they actually do exist. The problem is that the average person simply isn't interested in real news. They want gossip about celebrities, news about TV shows, movies, and music. Any political news that they do watch has to be entertaining too. There has to be an element of conflict (war, intense political diatribes) or gossip (political mis-steps, slip of the tongues, etc). Not only that, but real news has to be delivered in bite-sized portions because the average person quickly gets bored (hence why all the 24/7 news channels have news tickers and summaries of the current story on the screen).

In other words, the problem isn't necessarily the news sources but rather the market. People don't want news, they want entertainment. News companies realize this and in an attempt to be as profitable as possible they cater to that large demographic. The reason Fox News is so successful isn't because it's a good place to get news, it's because they picked a demographic and exploited it by giving the people exactly what they wanted (a news channel that confirms all their pre-existing political biases and beliefs). 24/7 news channels have so many pundits not necessarily because they need something to fill up the time slots with but because those pundits are what get the channels their highest ratings (lots of conflict and lots of gossip-like talking).

To give you an idea of just how anti-news people are, my political science professor back in my American Politics class told the story of how a cable TV provider decided that instead of cutting off non-paying customers' service entirely they would just replace every channel with C-SPAN. The results of this little experiment were that a far greater percentage of people paid their bills, and not just that but they paid them faster.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="Rheiken"]Nah, there should be no test. It's why we have the Electoral College anyways. majwill24

True, but candidates still have to campaign and appeal to the lowest common denominator. Campaigns are won more by speaking ability then real, articulate, detailed ideas. The few smart ones have to put aside their faculties if they want to win or stay in power.

As for abuse, well the status qua is too destructive and is getting worse. The world was alot more simpler back 200 years ago, but now its infinitely more complex and decisions have major ramifications on a global scale. Elections shouldn't be won by pandering and grotesque "get out the vote" campaigns, which are essentially bribing people who dontknow anything or has ever voted to vote for someone.

We live in a representative democracy, deal with it. The government represents the people, even if it's the "lowest common denominator" people.

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

Yeah... and the first question should be "in what country was Jesus born?".

akbar13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 akbar13
Member since 2009 • 2186 Posts

How can people think that it is a bad idea? It is a great idea.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

Nonstop-Madness

you sick bastard :P

EDIT : no why did you have to edit your post ??

*facepalm* Why did I? I'll re-edit it. :P
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

with voter turnout seeming to decrease every election, why would you make it so even fewer people vote

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#36 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I don't know about that, but I do know that I can't help but find it odd that immigrants are required to know basic facts about America before they can vote whereas natural-born Americans are not.

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
States in the US had tests, in the past, in order to disenfranchise voters based on certain criteria such as economic status (poll tax), education (literacy test), or ancestry (grandfather test).
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SgtKevali

I don't know about that, but I do know that I can't help but find it odd that immigrants are required to know basic facts about America before they can vote whereas natural-born Americans are not.

GabuEx

They're taught in school, aren't they? :roll:

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I know its not a new question, but it something I figured I'll bring up again. There is so much talk about the tyranny of the majority, but what about the tyranny of the stupid? The voting process can help vet candidates to ensure they are qualified, but only if the voters have some semblance of intelligence and rational perspectives. Does it make sense that some Californian drop-out pot head or a superstitious farmhand have equal power to an educated individual?

I think about American society and how everything must be delivered into 1 minute sound bytes, even complex issues. Also, the bogeyman syndrome is another example of the simplicity of the American mind. They need to put face on something, to channel their energies to it. Recent examples of this are Osama Bin Laden, George W Bush, Greedy Bankers and now Obama. Americans seem to need a figure head, not just for the rallying effect, but maybe because their minds arent capable of dealing with the broader perspective of things.

I dont know the perfect solution, but people accept that needing to take a driving test before one get a license is considered a public safety issue, so why cant the stupid voters be in the same way and viewed as a threat to public safety?

majwill24

Drop out potheads need representation too.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

GabuEx
Don't be hatin' on us naturales. We wear our ignorance on our sleeve, and we wear it proudly.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

SgtKevali

Sure they're taught in school, but no one asks if they actually learned it before they vote.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

Sure they're taught in school, but no one asks if they actually learned it before they vote.

It's assumed you already know this stuff because you grew up in country, as opposed to the immigrants who didn't.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

SgtKevali

It's assumed you already know this stuff because you grew up in country, as opposed to the immigrants who didn't.

Sure it's assumed. But is that assumption actually correct?

Immigrants have to prove they know that stuff. Americans do not. That is all.

majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 majwill24

[QUOTE="bededog"]For a democracy to work, the people need to be able to make educated decisions and votes. Without proper education and knowledge of current events, you can't make an informed decision. Having a test to determine if a voter is competent enough is the wrong way of approaching the problem is incompetent voters though. For one thing, an intelligence test isn't enough; you can be intelligent but uninformed about current events. If you test for knowledge of current events, who is to say if their knowledge and understanding of current events is sufficient? Who do we give this power too? The potential for abuse is evident. Besides that, a test ignores the problem; it is a band-aid not a solution. To fix incompetent voters, we need better education and more accurate and through coverage of current events. gameguy6700

The problem isn't as simple as "we need better news sources". We could have better news sources and they actually do exist. The problem is that the average person simply isn't interested in real news. They want gossip about celebrities, news about TV shows, movies, and music. Any political news that they do watch has to be entertaining too. There has to be an element of conflict (war, intense political diatribes) or gossip (political mis-steps, slip of the tongues, etc). Not only that, but real news has to be delivered in bite-sized portions because the average person quickly gets bored (hence why all the 24/7 news channels have news tickers and summaries of the current story on the screen).

In other words, the problem isn't necessarily the news sources but rather the market. People don't want news, they want entertainment. News companies realize this and in an attempt to be as profitable as possible they cater to that large demographic. The reason Fox News is so successful isn't because it's a good place to get news, it's because they picked a demographic and exploited it by giving the people exactly what they wanted (a news channel that confirms all their pre-existing political biases and beliefs). 24/7 news channels have so many pundits not necessarily because they need something to fill up the time slots with but because those pundits are what get the channels their highest ratings (lots of conflict and lots of gossip-like talking).

To give you an idea of just how anti-news people are, my political science professor back in my American Politics class told the story of how a cable TV provider decided that instead of cutting off non-paying customers' service entirely they would just replace every channel with C-SPAN. The results of this little experiment were that a far greater percentage of people paid their bills, and not just that but they paid them faster.

I absolutely agree about the fundamental problems with Americans and the "living in the fast lane" ethos they live by and the need for overall better education. However improving the basic knowledge and the cognitive ability to analyze and link things is a great feet, but would be necessary for your top down solution to work, otherwise viewers wouldn't understand it and therefore not trust what they hear.

The idea of a yearly civics test, something that would be thorough and require a written essay done at testing location would be an intermediate solution tostop the harm that the ignorant masses continue to inflict on others. I'm sure many wouldn't even bother and those that do, a few would probably fail. eventually the disenfranchised would become upset and make efforts to educate themselves. It wont take years, just taking an hour or two out of the day and reading a book would go a long way.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
I'd rather have restrictions on campaign content. You know, to avoid misinformation, lies, etc. in campaign ads and whatnot.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

I don't know about you, but I took a lot of tests in school.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts
I'd rather have restrictions on campaign content. You know, to avoid misinformation, lies, etc. in campaign ads and whatnot. Lockedge
Good luck with that while the current Supreme Court Judges/Legislators are in office.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

SgtKevali

Nothing that you are saying is disputing the fact that at no point in time is it verified that natural-born American citizens actually learned the stuff that immigrants are tested on before being allowed to vote.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

Nothing that you are saying is disputing the fact that at no point in time is it verified that natural-born American citizens actually learned the stuff that immigrants are tested on before being allowed to vote.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure immigrants are asked these questions to become naturalized, not to vote. But correct me if I'm mistaken.

majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 majwill24

I'd rather have restrictions on campaign content. You know, to avoid misinformation, lies, etc. in campaign ads and whatnot. Lockedge

That would be far more difficult and once again would be pandering to the lowest denominator. I support restriction on misinformation, but many times proposals and policies are intentionally ambiguous for flexibility purposes.