Selling shares of students’ future income for college financing.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

With student loan debt rising and the threat of new education models looming, Purdue University wants to offer a very different way for students to pay for school: private investors will fund their education, and get paid back as a portion of the students’ future income. It’s called an Income Share Agreement (ISA)—if students earn more than expected after university, they pay back more; if they earn less, they pay less.

Proponents of ISAs (paywall) believe they are the future of education financing—although they have a long theoretical history. Economist Milton Friedman laid out the basics in a 1954 book. ISA boosters argue that the current system of student loans can be unnecessarily burdensome, and contributes to the ever-rising cost of an education. ISAs, they argue, have the potential to be fairer for students, and reduce the price of education over time. Ultimately, ISAs could enable students to take bigger career risks.

Source.

Ayn Rand would approve....

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Indentured servitude says I knew you would come crawling back to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

lol that sounds terrible. It's basically just a loan with variable payments depending on how much you make. I think the UK has something similar. This is only being peddled because it will benefit private investors.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Yeah that sounds suspect. Can I collect my investment back in lap dances instead?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

the value of education isn't simply in what the financial return may be for it

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p  Online
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Wow, that sounds awful.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#8 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Sounds like it would lower the popularity of degrees like Philosophy and MFA programs, where earning enough money to pay back your investors might take a long time.

Avatar image for Andrew_is_basic
Andrew_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#9 Andrew_is_basic
Member since 2004 • 4140 Posts

Sounds worse than a loan.

microsoft4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 microsoft4life
Member since 2005 • 946 Posts

I think making universities and colleges tuition free (not room and board or books) through a speculation tax on wall street would be a better idea.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Not sure what Ayn Rand has to do with this... considering her philosophy wouldn't have people taking loans for education at all, and earning their way into school based on sheer merit of their ability.

As for comparing this to a traditional loan, it makes a little bit more sense, considering that a loan you pay interest, and with this, you'd not be charged interest (I assume) and are somewhat forced to pay it back (making it a decent investment for those giving money into it).

I personally have my current career because of a system similar to this. Trucking companies pay into the Manitoba Public Insurance program, that takes qualified students and pays for their entire training course and mentorship. The costs only have to be paid back if the student leaves after the first two years, or moves to a company not part of the program.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Oh, you Americans and your insane educational system.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

We should make college shorter and more efficient with mentorship. Then you can look at students as potential employees.