Sci-fi is showing Stephen King's The Stand tommorrow at noon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Stephen King's best book, and one of the best TV adaptations of any of his books ever.

Worth seeing if you haven't yet.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts

Its a four part mini series that goes for about eight hours. Its based on a 1200 page book by stephen king which imo is one of the best books i've ever read. If you have some time to kill tommorrow I highly reccommend checking it out it has a really good story.

weaselstomper50

Stephen King's best book, and one of the best TV adaptations of any of his books ever.

Worth seeing if you haven't yet.

AFBrat77
Highly spoke of, might try and catch it if i have the channel :P
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
I hated The Stand, both the book and the movie (the movie was better, though).
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]I hated The Stand, both the book and the movie (the movie was better, though).weaselstomper50

How the hell do you not like the stand? It's like the bacon of literature.

Exactly: it's fatty and if you eat too much of it you'll die of a heart attack. The Stand was pointless rambling for six hundred pages and wacky pseudo-religion for six hundred more. The movie just had crappy acting (with a couple of exceptions). Randall Flagg is the most ridiculous villain I have ever seen in a serious book. I just don't care for King's fiction. On Writing is amazing, but I have yet to read a Stephen King fiction book that I really enjoyed.
Matthew_Kaeser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Matthew_Kaeser
Member since 2002 • 13493 Posts

I agree... The Stand is a masterpiece. I read the book many years ago, and to this day, I haven't read any better fiction. Also, the mini-serieswas exceptionally well done and captured King's intent more-so than any other movie based on his work.

Matthew_Kaeser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Matthew_Kaeser
Member since 2002 • 13493 Posts

Also, why did Sci-Fi change its name to SyFy? I hate that.

Snakewiseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Snakewiseman
Member since 2009 • 1287 Posts

I sat through the marathon 8 hours of the movie I was so into it the whole time really good story overlaps

I didnt like the ending like every other one of his movie adaptations

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

[QUOTE="weaselstomper50"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]I hated The Stand, both the book and the movie (the movie was better, though).Theokhoth

Exactly: it's fatty and if you eat too much of it you'll die of a heart attack. The Stand was pointless rambling for six hundred pages and wacky pseudo-religion for six hundred more. The movie just had crappy acting (with a couple of exceptions). Randall Flagg is the most ridiculous villain I have ever seen in a serious book. I just don't care for King's fiction. On Writing is amazing, but I have yet to read a Stephen King fiction book that I really enjoyed.

I agree - almost everything he writes is nothing but long chains of verbose rambling. He has a chip on his shoulder the size of El Capitan - that combined with his years of drug abuse and alcoholism, make for some pretty miserable reading.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="weaselstomper50"]

weaselstomper50

It wasn't rambling. Most of the first half of the book was fleshing out all of the characters and getting to know and like them so that toward the second half of the book when things started to pick up you deeply cared for each person so that when something bad happened to them you were genuinely saddened or when they barely made it out alive from somewhere you could breath a sigh of relief to know that they were going to be ok. As for the bad acting in the movie, I have not yet seen it so I cannot speak on that just yet. Flagg is easily on my top 5 list for themost awesome villains. On the surface he seems like just a strange guy but when you spend more time with him you can see how evil and ruthless he is on the inside.

The characters weren't memorable at all for me. I can't even remember their names. They were all either heartless murderers/rapists/sadomasochists or weirdos; that girl (Nadine?) with her obsession of purity in her first mate, the guy in prison at the beginning, the bratty teenager with fantasies about making hot girls his slaves (that's totally what I'd be thinking about if 99% of the population died around me. . .); it's all just too much weirdness. [spoiler] The only normal characters in the thing die (the deaf-mute guy and the guy imprisoned at the beginning) [/spoiler]

and the religious woman (Abigail?) was nice until that part where she rambles on to herself about her past sex life.

Flagg is evil for the sake of being evil. There's no reason for anything he does except to do it for the hell of it. A satanic figure impregnating women and partying in Las Vegas with the scourge of humanity so he can piss off God is just. . .stupid.

-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
This book's length intimidates the hell out of me, so I've never tried reading it. Stephen King has written which is by far the scariest short story I have ever read however, called the Man in the Black Suit. Anyone else read it?