Scientists find proof of water on mars.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

moloch999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 moloch999
Member since 2014 • 155 Posts

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140228103206.htm

Looks like there was life there after all.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

Right, because life and water are the same thing. I forgot.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

They found tunnel and micro-tunnel structures that thread their way throughout Yamato 000593. The observed micro-tunnels display curved, undulating shapes consistent with bio-alteration textures observed in terrestrial basaltic glasses, previously reported by researchers who study interactions of bacteria with basaltic materials on Earth.

Very interesting.

Still, it goes on to not rule out abiotic sources or potential for sample contamination, but it's still intriguing nonetheless about the possibilities of what it could mean.

moloch999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 moloch999

@lamprey263 said:

They found tunnel and micro-tunnel structures that thread their way throughout Yamato 000593. The observed micro-tunnels display curved, undulating shapes consistent with bio-alteration textures observed in terrestrial basaltic glasses, previously reported by researchers who study interactions of bacteria with basaltic materials on Earth.

Very interesting.

Still, it goes on to not rule out abiotic sources or potential for sample contamination, but it's still intriguing nonetheless about the possibilities of what it could mean.

Not all anti-biotics are flora based, but this could prove that there is more then basic life than we know.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

How does this prove there was life on Mars? Need more than just water to create life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

@Jacobistheman said:

He meant water and life share similarities not that they are the same thing.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I'll never understand why people assume that life on other planets has to have the same requirements as life on earth.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

@Pirate700: Spot on. There's actually a term for that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_chauvinism

moloch999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 moloch999

@PCgameruk said:

How does this prove there was life on Mars? Need more than just water to create life.

A handful of dirt, a splash a water, and a whole lot of mystery and magic should solve that issue!

SlyRoxas97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SlyRoxas97
Member since 2014 • 59 Posts

@playmynutz said:

@Jacobistheman said:

Why would he say that there was life on Mars then? Despite only having evidence of water on Mars?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

@slyroxas97 said:

@playmynutz said:

@Jacobistheman said:

Why would he say that there was life on Mars then? Despite only having evidence of water on Mars?

People don't need to be politically correct all the time when you can catch the jest of what they meant

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58976 Posts

Europa is apparently possibly harboring life right now. Not cool ones with black eye lids and grey skin, the boring kind.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
@one_plum said:

@Pirate700: Spot on. There's actually a term for that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_chauvinism

Because there's no empirical data to suggest that life can be anything other than carbon based.

Sure, it could be that there is non carbon based life out there. Or maybe we are carbon based because life inherently requires carbon. But...we don't go looking for fish in th middle of the sahara desert because there's no empirical evidence to suggest that fish can live in such an environment. We work off of what we know, then we refine what we know as more data becomes available.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Europa is apparently possibly harboring life right now. Not cool ones with black eye lids and grey skin, the boring kind.

The "greys" IMO actually are the boring kind. Think about it, man. If aliens landed on Earth tomorrow, the second thing you'd be wondering is what they look like (the first being, "do they want to kill us or enslave us?") How freaking disappointed would you be if the spaceship opened up and what walked out was basically just an ashy midget with a big head?

It's like Star Trek. I've got nothing against Star Trek, but their aliens are lame as hell. Space hookers with green skin, emotionally detached space elves, and black dudes with butt cracks on their foreheads. If we find aliens and those aliens basically just look like "some variation of humans", then I will be EXTREMELY disappointed. Who really wants to see that shit? We've already been seeing that shit for decades because Hollywood either lacks imagination or lacks the money/technology to go really wild.

Seriously, movie aliens suck. They're boring as hell. Why? Because humans can't conceive of what an actual alien would look like, so they just slap some Earth based life together and call it a day. Avatar has blue space elves, Starship Troopers said, "**** it, let's just use giant bugs", and Star Trek just slaps some silly ears and noses on people. Even the greys are just the result of an unimaginative line of thinking. They're still humanoid, because of course they would be. If they're smart enough to achieve interstellar travel, then of course they'd look like us. But they're also smarter than us, so let's make their heads bigger to hold their big brains. That's anthropomorphic thinking which is based on our limited understanding of how life works. If that ends up being the case when we finally do discover the aliens, I am going to be SO freaking disappointed.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

@Pirate700:

Because the only successful example of life we have is a carbon-based organic from a water-rich planet that lives in a nitrogen-oxygen composed atmosphere. Yeah, it's about as solid an argument as scientifically proving God exists, but it's that lack of empirical evidence, studies done on the basic functionalities of life, and the abundance of said elements and compounds in the universe that lead many to believe that it is the most likely form of life that's out there. Not the only kind, but it's a safe bet it'll be the first we find.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

@moloch999 said:

@PCgameruk said:

A handful of dirt, a splash a water, and a whole lot of mystery and magic should solve that issue!

The answer is simple: God.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#18  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

I thought that they already had proof of water on Mars.....

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacobistheman

@playmynutz said:

@slyroxas97 said:

@playmynutz said:

@Jacobistheman said:

People don't need to be politically correct all the time when you can catch the jest of what they meant

This has nothing to do with being "Politically correct" (and I think you need to go look up what that means).

It is a completely false statement to say that because there is water, there is life. There is no jest of the statement--it is just inaccurate.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

you might be interest in knowing NASA is planning a mission there in the next decade to search for life in the oceans under its icy surface...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/05/nasa-planning-robotic-mission-to-search-for-signs-of-life-on-jupiters-moon-europa/

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Pirate700 said:

I'll never understand why people assume that life on other planets has to have the same requirements as life on earth.

it doesnt, but it's definitely a great place to start. If there's life in our solar system, it's probably very similar

moloch999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 moloch999

@wis3boi said:

@Pirate700 said:

it doesnt, but it's definitely a great place to start. If there's life in our solar system, it's probably very similar

More proof of life is life in the proof!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:

@slyroxas97 said:

@playmynutz said:

@Jacobistheman said:

This has nothing to do with being "Politically correct" (and I think you need to go look up what that means).

It is a completely false statement to say that because there is water, there is life. There is no jest of the statement--it is just inaccurate.

Telling me I am using the phrase 'politically correct' incorrectly, is you being politically correct. Well maybe you did not catch the jest of the original statement but I did. I can see the correlation between water and life.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jacobistheman

@playmynutz said:
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:

@slyroxas97 said:

@playmynutz said:

@Jacobistheman said:

Telling me I am using the phrase 'politically correct' incorrectly, is you being politically correct. Well maybe you did not catch the jest of the original statement but I did. I can see the correlation between water and life.

Open a dictionary every once in a while.

Politically correct --"agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people--especially involving race, gender, or sexual affinity"

This discussion has nothing to do with being politically correct or not. Just correct or incorrect. You are incorrect.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

they won't be able to find a pilot to fly there until they find alcohol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05
deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts

Water was discovered to be on Mars quite some time ago. They are simply finding more of it, which is very fascinating.

The reason why the finding of water is important in the search for life is because all examples of life on Earth utilize, through some means, water. It is merely a stepping stone. Sure, life elsewhere could be based on something never before seen. But then where do you begin? What kind of tests do you perform? Mr Geezer said it simply: We work off of what we know, then we refine what we know as more data becomes available.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

I thought that they already had proof of water on Mars.....

my thoughts as well.

this is old news

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:

@slyroxas97 said:

@playmynutz said:

@Jacobistheman said:

Politically correct --"agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people--especially involving race, gender, or sexual affinity"

This discussion has nothing to do with being politically correct or not. Just correct or incorrect. You are incorrect.

How about researching my credentials, I don't need to explain myself, neither did the original poster who claimed water proves life.

You keep asking different questions and I keep giving you the same exact answer. It is a one size fits all.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jacobistheman

@playmynutz said:
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:

@slyroxas97 said:

@playmynutz said:

@Jacobistheman said:

How about researching my credentials, I don't need to explain myself, neither did the original poster who claimed water proves life.

You keep asking different questions and I keep giving you the same exact answer. It is a one size fits all.

I give zero s**ts about what "your credentials" are. What you said is either right or wrong, and you are wrong.What you are saying about being being politically correct is wrong and trying to defend someone who says that "if there is water, there is live" (that is the "jest") is wrong.

I honestly hope that you have no credentials to back yourself up, because if you do it is an embarrassment to others who have those "credentials".

But just for s**ts and giggles, what are your credentials.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:

@slyroxas97 said:

@playmynutz said:

@Jacobistheman said:

I give zero s**ts about what "your credentials" are. What you said is either right or wrong, and you are wrong.What you are saying about being being politically correct is wrong and trying to defend someone who says that "if there is water, there is live" (that is the "jest") is wrong.

I honestly hope that you have no credentials to back yourself up, because if you do it is an embarrassment to others who have those "credentials".

I came from a little country in Central America called El Salvador. In the 1980's their was a civil war and my parents escaped at all cost to America so I as their future child can be well educated. I grew up in a sweet town in Virginia, went to school here, learned your American culture, while still remaining true to mine. Now the whole world got's my back because I started from the bottom now I am here.

moloch999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 moloch999

@playmynutz said:
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:
@Jacobistheman said:

@playmynutz said:

@slyroxas97 said:

@playmynutz said:

@Jacobistheman said:

I came from a little country in Central America called El Salvador. In the 1980's their was a civil war and my parents escaped at all cost to America so I as their future child can be well educated. I grew up in a sweet town in Virginia, went to school here, learned your American culture, while still remaining true to mine. Now the whole world got's my back because I started from the bottom now I am here.

If you want to be taken seriously, change your user name. Playmynutz makes you sound 8.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

@moloch999: I was about 15 years old when I made this account so play my nuts lol