TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Are you a big fan of Science Fiction? A lot of people read Dune, watch Star Trek for example..

Are you OT?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

I like it. It good.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

It's one of my favorite genres. More specifically, first contact stories with a bit of hard sci-fi (the Remembrance of Earth's Past book trilogy by Cixin Liu is fantastic), space operas like Mass Effect and thriller/horror such as Alien.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3438 Posts

I love sci-fi but mostly books. Movies and games still have some good stuff but it's more miss than hit.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Not a big fan, but I'll occasionally take a dip. I went through an obsessive Asimov phase after reading The Last Question, around COVID, and burnt myself out a bit.

The rest is mainly compendiums and assorted schlock from the library of a house I used to live in. Most of it was forgettable, but a couple of books by Stanislaw Lem and Primo Levi I clung onto.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Yea I enjoy Sci Fi, mainly books as others have said. most recently read through the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy, first two books were pretty great, third one was not as good. The show Altered Carbon on Netflix is based on these books but I never watched it.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#7  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1179 Posts

I like most things SciFi. Put a spaceship, or futuristic weapons into the movie and I will probably like it.

I even enjoyed movies that I should not have, for example, Battlefield Earth, and what was that Disney movie, Carter something.

I read all of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series and thought it was an easy read.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Watch some sci-fi. Star Trek is my favorite but I like Star Wars, and Dune since you mentioned it. And I watch some other shows/movies as well.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7314 Posts

@strategyfn: John Carter was overlooked. Nothing amazing, but a fun sci-fi action flick. Felt like a Marvel movie, before that whole thing got oversaturated.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58379 Posts

Oh yeah, love it.

Currently reading "Project Hail Mary", the same author that brought us "The Martian". Great book, similar theme: science nerds in space solving problems. Man vs environment.

I love sci-fi but so much popular fiction these days is dark or grim or there's some sinister element to it, it's refreshing to read something where there is an opponent that isn't necessarily malevolent, it's just something to overcome.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58379 Posts
@johnd13 said:

It's one of my favorite genres. More specifically, first contact stories with a bit of hard sci-fi (the Remembrance of Earth's Past book trilogy by Cixin Liu is fantastic), space operas like Mass Effect and thriller/horror such as Alien.

Is that the guy that wrote the series called "The Three Body Problem"? Can't remember if that's the official title or if that's just what it is referred to.

I heard it is great, but also pretty bleak.

Looking for another book to read as I will be done with my home book (Game of Thrones) pretty soon and my lunch-break book (Project Hail Mary) soon as well.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6953 Posts

Huge Sci Fi fan since watching the original Star Trek series in syndication during the mid 1970s.

Currently rewatching the entire Battlestar Galactica series from the mid 2000s.

Highly recommend you watch The Expanse series. It is lesser known but stunning in bringing near term relatable technology and fantastic characters to life.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

Huge Sci Fi fan since watching the original Star Trek series in syndication during the mid 1970s.

Currently rewatching the entire Battlestar Galactica series from the mid 2000s.

Highly recommend you watch The Expanse series. It is lesser known but stunning in bringing near term relatable technology and fantastic characters to life.

just finished the expanse a few weeks ago. took me a season to really get into it but loved it. really liked how the space travel aspects felt a little more grounded in reality.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

@strategyfn: @judaspete: I third the John Carter sentiment.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@johnd13 said:

Is that the guy that wrote the series called "The Three Body Problem"? Can't remember if that's the official title or if that's just what it is referred to.

I heard it is great, but also pretty bleak.

Looking for another book to read as I will be done with my home book (Game of Thrones) pretty soon and my lunch-break book (Project Hail Mary) soon as well.

The Three Body Problem is actually the title of the first novel in the series. I highly recommend it. The trilogy has a bit of everything: Chinese history (cultural revolution), actual science, little bit of philosophy, (what I imagine is) a realistic depiction of an alien invasion and human civilization advancement.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#17 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

@strategyfn: Battlefield Earth the movie was bad however the novel is one of the best sci fi epics I’ve read. Don’t judge it based on L Ron Hubbard theres no scientology crap in it.

In the novel the Psychlos are killed off like halfway through the book. Then all these other alien races show up to investigate because Psychlos controlled all teleportation technology. What humans did essentially shut down everyone.

I’d really recommend reading the book.

John Carter from Mars was also loosely based on a series published in 1912! Its interesting to see early 19th century ideas on aliens and modes of transportation. It was ok but seemed slightly antiquated.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#18 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1179 Posts

@Skarwolf said:

@strategyfn: Battlefield Earth the movie was bad however the novel is one of the best sci fi epics I’ve read. Don’t judge it based on L Ron Hubbard theres no scientology crap in it.

In the novel the Psychlos are killed off like halfway through the book. Then all these other alien races show up to investigate because Psychlos controlled all teleportation technology. What humans did essentially shut down everyone.

I’d really recommend reading the book.

Thank you for the book advice, if I ever take up reading again I will check it out. I was kinda wondering what I should read.

The Three Body Problem also sounds good.