Ricky Gervais: Atheism Shouldn't Offend.

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1XGTrrZjlI

I completely agree with him.

I want to ask those of you who are religious.

Does atheism offend you?

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
I'm not sure how being an atheist, or atheism in general, is supposed to offend anyone.
halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

there should be a i dont care about ricky gervais option :P

anyways i can see how it offends alot of ppl just cuz of the idea it promotes

Vax45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vax45
Member since 2005 • 4834 Posts
I'm not sure how being an atheist, or atheism in general, is supposed to offend anyone. LZ71
It's believing in something else, in general, that offends people. People get offended by video games, art, politics, etc. In religion's/athiem's case, people can potentially go bats*** insane because we're talking about concepts that are well beyond our comprehension and will probably never find out the truth. We fear the unknown and that mixture creates some very heated debates.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Atheism doesn't inherently offend most people. However, like all belief systems, it has its members whom do take measures to offend people.

Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

as long as i have my right to believe in whatever the hell i want to believe in, i could care less what other people believe in.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
He's right.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LZ71

[QUOTE="LZ71"]I'm not sure how being an atheist, or atheism in general, is supposed to offend anyone. Vax45
It's believing in something else, in general, that offends people. People get offended by video games, art, politics, etc. In religion's/athiem's case, people can potentially go bats*** insane because we're talking about concepts that are well beyond our comprehension and will probably never find out the truth. We fear the unknown and that mixture creates some very heated debates.

I guess I just don't understand how someone can take an opinion (especially religion, where no one knows if they're right), and actually get offended by it. I mean, why get angry over someone else's views? However, I do understand anger if the person who has those views is intentionally being a douche about it.

taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 taterfrickintot
[QUOTE="Vax45"][QUOTE="LZ71"]I'm not sure how being an atheist, or atheism in general, is supposed to offend anyone. LZ71

I guess I just don't understand how someone can take an opinion (especially religion, where no one knows if they're right), and actually get offended by it. I mean, why get angry over someone else's views?

fanboys and crusaders.
Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zyrokin
Member since 2010 • 1756 Posts

Does atheism offend you?

Rikusaki

I was with him all the way up until the point when he said "I view all religions equally, unlike religious people." Just kinda lost me at that point, generalizations like that just toss my interest away from that point on.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I'm not sure if atheism offends so much as the specific all-religion-is-a-scam-and-we're-smarter-because-we're-not-religious brand.

...Which, unfortunately, does tend to be the sort that gets the most exposure, similar to the way in which the if-you-don't-agree-with-everything-I-say-then-my-god-will-roast-you-forever-in-hell brand of religion also tends to get the most exposure.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LZ71

I'm not sure if atheism offends so much as the specific all-religion-is-a-scam-and-we're-smarter-because-we're-not-religious brand.

...Which, unfortunately, does tend to be the sort that gets the most exposure, similar to the way in which the if-you-don't-agree-with-everything-I-say-then-my-god-will-roast-you-forever-in-hell brand of religion also tends to get the most exposure.

GabuEx
The radicals/douchebags and their opinions are always shoved to the forefront (at least it seems that way in the media), ahead of more level-headed and respectful individuals. Annoying, to say the least.
Vax45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vax45

I guess I just don't understand how someone can take an opinion (especially religion, where no one knows if they're right), and actually get offended by it. I mean, why get angry over someone else's views? However, I do understand anger if the person who has those views is intentionally being a douche about it.LZ71
I could be wrong, but I think what makes religion/atheism debates so heated is it's primarily driven by our natural fear of the unknown.

taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 taterfrickintot
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

LZ71
The radicals/douchebags and their opinions are always shoved to the forefront (at least it seems that way in the media), ahead of more level-headed and respectful individuals. Annoying, to say the least.

true what will get more media attention "local church donates to charity group in africa" or "westboro baptist church protests soldier funeral"
whiplash26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 whiplash26
Member since 2009 • 113 Posts

I was southern baptist, then agnostic, Now atheist. I grew up in the Bible Belt and live in SC.

Vax45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vax45

[QUOTE="taterfrickintot"]The radicals/douchebags and their opinions are always shoved to the forefront (at least it seems that way in the media), ahead of more level-headed and respectful individuals. Annoying, to say the least. LZ71
true what will get more media attention "local church donates to charity group in africa" or "westboro baptist church protests soldier funeral"

One thing we all know for certain is that the media will burn in hell forever for spreading fear wherever it goes. Get out the torches and pitchforks, we're gonna put those media heathen's in their place!

whiplash26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 whiplash26
Member since 2009 • 113 Posts

[QUOTE="LZ71"][QUOTE="taterfrickintot"]The radicals/douchebags and their opinions are always shoved to the forefront (at least it seems that way in the media), ahead of more level-headed and respectful individuals. Annoying, to say the least. Vax45

One thing we all know for certain is that the media will burn in hell forever for spreading fear wherever it goes. Get out the torches and pitchforks, we're gonna put those media heathen's in their place!

The media does suck here in the US, actually people from other countries find out situation sad and amusing for numerous reasons.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I agree with him, thankfully most people I know are tolerant of other peoples beliefs, but there's the sad few that just can't accept people don't believe in God. The fact some of these people get so defensive when faced with opposing opinions makes me really question their reasons for their beliefs in God.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Atheism can't offend anyone, however an atheist can and it so happens that the most vocal are also the most offensive.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#20 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
I'm not offended by atheism in itself. I just think that there is just as much reason to believe in God than there is evidence to the contrary. After all, would you like to live with someone who shoves his or her beliefs down people's throats obnoxiously? Atheism in itself doesn't offend people, obnoxious atheists, just like everyone else like them, do offend people.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#21 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

There's not really any reason to get offended by obnoxious athiesm either. Just ignore them.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#22 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

I was southern baptist, then agnostic, Now atheist. I grew up in the Bible Belt and live in SC.

whiplash26
Being raised in a Christian background =/=an actual Christian, just to make that clear. Enlighten me, just how did you stop believing in God?
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
I'm not sure how being an atheist, or atheism in general, is supposed to offend anyone. LZ71
It crushes their entire beliefs, some people get hurt by that kind of thing.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
The religious people I know don't get offended by my lack of belief. They would get offended if I started rubbing my superior intelligence and condescending attitude towards religion in their face, though.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I do have a religion but I am not offended by any other belief or lack thereof.
GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GD-1369211121
Member since 2006 • 4087 Posts

Nothing offends me. What other people believe is their business not mine. So I don't care either way. The truth is none of us will ever know weather there is a god or not. Just die and see what happens I guess. Believing in something and it not surely being there seems pointless to me. And going to church seems like a waste of time I could be playing video games, or watching sports.

james007_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 james007_14
Member since 2007 • 3036 Posts

I can agree with him, Being an athiest isn't in and of itself a bad thing. I don't find it offensive at all. If that is what he wants to believe then good for him. I will keep my faith and keep on going also. What would annoy people is when you try to force your veiws on others. It doesn't matter if you are very religious or not because it is just annoying and stupid.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

You gotta love Ricky he says stuff people only dare to think and he really puts it to the fat people.

As for his stance on Athiesm i really love how he expresses himself about it because through my entire life religious people have bashed my non-faith so i dont care if one athiest basges theirs.

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#29 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

I'm not offended by atheism in itself. I just think that there is just as much reason to believe in God than there is evidence to the contrary. After all, would you like to live with someone who shoves his or her beliefs down people's throats obnoxiously? Atheism in itself doesn't offend people, obnoxious atheists, just like everyone else like them, do offend people.hiphops_savior
I agree with this.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Atheism doesn't inherently offend most people. However, like all belief systems, it has its members whom do take measures to offend people.

coolbeans90

This. Got plenty of all sorts of real world and internet friends of all religious stripes or non-religious as well. My problem isn't that by being a non-Muslim (in my case that is my religion) and are strong in your convictions that you are offensive to me. My problem is if you go out of your way to not just be mean spirited but be purposely offensive and insulting.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

GabuEx
and what GabuEx said as well. ditto.
rockerbikie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 rockerbikie
Member since 2010 • 10027 Posts
[QUOTE="LZ71"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Yeah I agree.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Nobody rational should be offended by it. Of course, some atheists doubtless offend. Bill Maher springs to mind.
barcx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 barcx17
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts

It doesn't really offend me. I actually found his comment at the end of the Golden Globes hilarious.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 X360PS3AMD05
The new CNN British anchor? lol
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

I don't see how being an atheist offends someone.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

The actual ideology...no. But some individuals do promote atheism in an offensive way..... And Ricky Gervais is not what I consider a philosopher of our time.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

atheism doesnt offend but some atheists piss me off with their arrogant attitude. They think they're the only ones with working brain.

Mu5uk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mu5uk0
Member since 2005 • 19144 Posts

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

Does atheism offend you?

Zyrokin

I was with him all the way up until the point when he said "I view all religions equally, unlike religious people." Just kinda lost me at that point, generalizations like that just toss my interest away from that point on.

How is that a generalisation? That a religious person believes in their religion over other religious? That's not a generalisation that's a fact.
kev_stevens67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kev_stevens67
Member since 2010 • 616 Posts

I'm very religious. I go to Church every Sunday for at least 3 hours and sometimes during the week as well for an hour or two. I'm not sure why Atheism should offend me or anyone else.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 X360PS3AMD05
lol it's true, i can understand one who is respectful of other religions but it does not change the fact that yours preaches it's the right one. "Don't put other gods before me" and yada yada "Show others the light"
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
atheism should not offend more than any other belief system, the problem is the large population within that belief system that decide to dedicate their life to assaulting others belief systems.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 X360PS3AMD05
"Belief system" and "Ideology" admit it guys this is making us chuckle :lol:
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I'm offended that you ask the question.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
Some are easily offended
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Some are easily offended weezyfb
And what do you mean by that, exactly?
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="whiplash26"]

hiphops_savior

Being raised in a Christian background =/=an actual Christian, just to make that clear. Enlighten me, just how did you stop believing in God?

:| Yes it does.. When your born into that environment those beliefs are drilled into the kid at a very young age.. If anything its the closest thing to being a Christian because a kid does not doubt the way adults do.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#49 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
The idea of atheism isn't offensive. Depending on your religion, atheism could mean nothing at all in the grand scheme of things.
mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

The Atheists can sometimes offend but Atheism itself shouldn't.