madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Not strictly gaming-related, so OT it is.

Report by Windows Central. Apparently, Microsoft are throwing in the towel on their browser business, killing both their EdgeHTML rendering and Chakra JavaScript engines. Instead, they're going to replace it with a new browser based on Chromium, the open-source base of Google's Chrome.

A sad day for the two people who don't just use it to download Chrome.

(Disclosure: I'm one of those two people - I use it to download Firefox. Save the lifebuoy, because I'm dead set on going down with the "S.S. Netscape Nostalgia.")

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Seems like a good idea, Edge sucks. First thing I do with a new install is replace it with Firefox or Opera.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#3 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts
@madrocketeer said:

Now I feel a little guilty for being one of those people who only uses Edge to download Chrome.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Edge is currently my go to browser in cases that Chrome doesn't work for whatever reason, which happens very rarely. Don't really care what they do to it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Like said above only use edge to download chrome

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15919 Posts

Edge is a decent browser but it came way too late, I got used to chrome and firefox layout to care. But isn't edge one of the more widely used browser? I mean many company PC/laptop uses edge/IE widely due to restriction on 3rd party softwares.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

Meh, I only use Chrome as my all-in-one browser on my main PC and besides, I use the Internet Explorer so I could download Chrome in the first place when I upgrade W10 while back when W10 was free to upgrade.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Ha, I didn't even use it to download Firefox. That's what Internet Explorer is there for.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Report by Windows Central. Apparently, Microsoft are throwing in the towel on their browser business, killing both their EdgeHTML rendering and Chakra JavaScript engines. Instead, they're going to replace it with a new browser based on Chromium, the open-source base of Google's Chrome.

(Disclosure: I'm one of those two people - I use it to download Firefox. Save the lifebuoy, because I'm dead set on going down with the "S.S. Netscape Nostalgia.")

I thought the two people where the people who were working on the browser at MS as well.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58308 Posts

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@madrocketeer: I'm a firefox user as well, chrome has become too much of a resource hog in recent years for me to bother with it, and I find that firefox has faster start up times.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I've been using Edge the last few weeks and no issues. I am pleased with it, haven't found the need to download a substitute browser.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#14 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Update: Confirmed.

Today we’re announcing that we intend to adopt the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web compatibility for our customers and less fragmentation of the web for all web developers.

As part of this, we intend to become a significant contributor to the Chromium project, in a way that can make not just Microsoft Edge — but other browsers as well — better on both PCs and other devices.

Yeah, I think this is smart, and well in line with Satya Nadella's "presence" strategy; i.e., instead of trying to create their own ecosystem and dominate the market with it like they have in the past, they're just looking to have a lasting presence in one, whether they own it or not. If you've been following the news, you would know it paid off big time.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's a browser. I don't feel guilt over little things like using it.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

As a web developer this makes me so happy I don’t think I can express it in words. Writing was on the wall. They just kept falling behind on supported features and the dwindling user base didn’t justify trying to keep up.