Religious people are not more moral than atheists

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#151  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@BranKetra said:

That seems to be a definition at odds with Oxford.

Dictionaries are changed and updated all the time. They are not absolute (and languages are always evolving). And they are not involved in the realm of philosophy, where this discussion actually lies.

Resorting to a dictionary definition to prove an argument is a really weak means of backing up an argument regarding the nature of something.

In your own words, define what the nature of "agnosticism" would be. And don't just tell me it's "somebody who doesn't know what they believe". Describe what agnosticism is.

If that is the case, I wonder why you are focusing on me. Defining agnosticism is what the debate between The_Last_Ride and myself in this thread has mainly been about thus far. Both of us are relying on defining sources to determine what agnostic means and while the definition I listed is related to the religious perspective more so than his philosophical explanation, I believe both are credible in different contexts. Your consideration of agnosticism, like The_Last_Ride's, being a philosophical one rather than religious is valid, but not absolute. The religious perspective deserves credence as well and I already talked about that earlier.

Dictionaries are made to define things and that was partially the point I was making. Saying it is weak is a vague criticism. It does not say my logic is weak, but that the reliance upon this logic is or something.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#153 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@BranKetra: No, it's the common wording of an agnostic

That common wording is contrary to the Oxford dictionary definition which agrees with my opinion. There is no need to be dogmatic.

> There is no need to be dogmatic.

>contrary to the Oxford dictionary definition which agrees with my opinion

am I the only one seeing the irony here, especially since dictionaries don't dictate language?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#154 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@BranKetra said:

I wonder why you are focusing on me.

Professional victim alert.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#155 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

@alim298 said:

@softwaregeek said:

@alim298 said:

uhhh....no. I just think religious people actually do more wrong things because they have this false belief that there's a god that will forgive them for it and everything will be okay. So it's easier for them to clear their conscience whereas an atheists don't have that luxury and are probably less likely to commit the wrong doing in the first place. Probably studies that prove my point too. I get that people have their beliefs...I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem when their beliefs effect my life. I don't believe them to be morally superior to anyone else.

I just thing atheists actually do more wrong things because they don't believe that there's a god that can forgive them for their crimes so once they fall they see no way out of it and so they perpetuate their wrong-doings. So it's harder for them to change and become good people again whereas a religious persons hopes that God will forgive him and that he can become a good man once again. Probably studies prove my point too. Especially studies regarding suicide and depression. I get that atheists have their opinions... I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem when their opinions are based on misinterpretation of religious beliefs. I don't believe them to be morally superior than religious people.

See? Talking bullshit is easy.

My dad was a minister. I know all about the Bible. It is a flawed book as all religious books are. I think your views are at best ridiculous. At worst they are stagnating to the human race.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@softwaregeek said:

@alim298 said:

@softwaregeek said:

@alim298 said:

uhhh....no. I just think religious people actually do more wrong things because they have this false belief that there's a god that will forgive them for it and everything will be okay. So it's easier for them to clear their conscience whereas an atheists don't have that luxury and are probably less likely to commit the wrong doing in the first place. Probably studies that prove my point too. I get that people have their beliefs...I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem when their beliefs effect my life. I don't believe them to be morally superior to anyone else.

I just thing atheists actually do more wrong things because they don't believe that there's a god that can forgive them for their crimes so once they fall they see no way out of it and so they perpetuate their wrong-doings. So it's harder for them to change and become good people again whereas a religious persons hopes that God will forgive him and that he can become a good man once again. Probably studies prove my point too. Especially studies regarding suicide and depression. I get that atheists have their opinions... I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem when their opinions are based on misinterpretation of religious beliefs. I don't believe them to be morally superior than religious people.

My dad was a minister. I know all about the Bible. It is a flawed book as all religious books are. I think your views are at best ridiculous. At worst they are stagnating to the human race.

I have not stated any of my views in this conversation yet. I was only mocking yours.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#157 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

@alim298 said:

@softwaregeek said:

@alim298 said:

@softwaregeek said:

@alim298 said:

I have not stated any of my views in this conversation yet. I was only mocking yours.

oh no. you stated them all right.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By branketra

@wis3boi said:

@BranKetra said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

That common wording is contrary to the Oxford dictionary definition which agrees with my opinion. There is no need to be dogmatic.

am I the only one seeing the irony here, especially since dictionaries don't dictate language?

You took that out of the context of our entire conversation and incorrectly assume it has a separate meaning.

@foxhound_fox: Read the thread before you continue that baseless accusation.

I do not see any point to continuing this conversation if users simply stop posting when we come to the point of inadvertent acknowledgement that one's logic is ethically questionable after pages of adamant denial and then taking statements out of context. In addition, not paying attention to the conversation that one decides to continue was shown in the comment I quoted above. I will pass on that. Have a nice day.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@BranKetra said:

I wonder why you are focusing on me.

Professional victim alert.

call a medic, someone got flayed alive

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By branketra

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#161 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@BranKetra said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

He does have a point there.