1 0%
10 25%
8 13%
5 0%
2 0%
9 13%
4 13%
7 13%

New York is just an ugly crowded city with little to no redeeming value. Sure it has a lot of culture (Broadway, Wall Street, Times Square, etc.), Central Park is nice in the fall (just don’t go there at night) but it has so many negatives.

It’s almost impossible to live in the city unless you are ultra rich (the city has no middle class, people are either really rich or really poor), it is so crowded that it feels like people live stacked up on each other, the weather sucks, everything is expensive including street food, car ownership is impossible unless you’re rich, there is an ambiguous difficult to explain odor in the air there, and it competes with LA for the sheer volume of self important pretentious people and they’re rude.

A terrible city that everyone should visit once but if I had money, there are hundreds of places I would live instead of New York. 3/10

• 
Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

The city is a decent place to rarely visit but a tough place to live if you expect normality in your life.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44683 Posts

NYC seems like a great place to live if you have lots of lots of money.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17693 Posts

There’s a username that’s a blast from the past.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

7/10

my wife lived there for a few years after college in a decent neighborhood on the east side. really enjoyed it. her place was small but she shared it with a friend from college. she was working in the city at the time so commute was easy. no need to have a car as everything was in walking distance or accessible via subway or cab if needed.

i wouldn't want to live there now that we have kids as it's nice to have more living space and not need $10M for it but as a young professional right out of school it was great.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

Can't rate it as I've never been. But I've been to towns and cities around NYC. I'd rate those as 9/10. The Hudson Valley area is far more beautiful than I would have expected. And the food was great.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

@shellcase86 said:

Can't rate it as I've never been. But I've been to towns and cities around NYC. I'd rate those as 9/10. The Hudson Valley area is far more beautiful than I would have expected. And the food was great.

don't tell anyone.

don't need more city folk buying up all the homes

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

NYC might smell and is not the prettiest city, but it has a reputation that gives it a unique place in the world The UN headquarters is located there after all, so if there's any city that could be considered the capital of the world, New York would be it. That said, I have no interest in the fast-paced New York lifestyle and its exorbitant rent prices. I guess it's fun to explore the city as a tourist for the sheer size of it.

espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts

I actually view the density and impracticality of owing a car as positives. Americans seem to hate both of these things but I would point out that the alternative followed by most of the rest of the country (driving everywhere and living in single family homes) has a ton of downsides.

As mentioned, New York has a ton of culture, but it also has a ton of professional opportunity. There are multiple industries where being in New York is a huge advantage. Yes, this is still the case even in the age of working from home. I think this is indicative of the people there. Yes, they can be rude but there is also a lot of talent and intelligence there.

Agreed however, that the cost of living is out of control. NYC will always be more expensive than most of the county where there's simply less demand for goods and services, but the cost of housing is the fault of local government. There needs to be A LOT more housing supply.

Nonetheless, it's arguably the best American city. Dynamic and interesting, not to mention relatively safe (compared to American standards for cities). 9/10

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59326 Posts

Stop spreading the news, I don't want to be part of it.