Racial humor: a nasty double standard

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I made the mistake of watching The Cleveland Show tonight, not really because it's a horribly unfunny show, but because I happened to have heard a very appauling joke. I heard Cleveland Brown say, "I have never hated white people more." I got disgusted and just turned off the show. I'm trying not to be upset at this, but I just am. If Peter Griffin were to say "I have never hated black people more", then the show would be branded as racist and be taken off the air. But it's not just The Cleveland Show; it's in movies and music as well. It seems to be generally accepted that it's ok for a black person to make fun of a white person, but if it were the other way around, then it becomes racist. This social stigma needs to go away.

I wonder how many black people can openly admit that they laugh when a white person makes fun of their ethnicity by stereotyping them as gangsta rappers or criminals. I'm sure some of you have great senses of humor and are able to laugh at everything, which is awesome. We all need to have that ability as far as I'm concerned, but this double standard just drives me nuts. I want to make a black joke without feeling like blacks are going to mob me for it, not that I would go around spreading black jokes, but it would be nice to know I have that right.

This is why I appreciate South Park. They don't hold anything back. They make fun of EVERYONE. You can't call Trey Parker and Matt Stone racist, because they've dealt it to everyone. To be fair, I haven't watched The Cleveland Show long enough (not even a third of an episode) to really see how broad their humor is, but I'm sure it's no where near the same level as South Park. Can't be, because it's network.

A part of me did really want to laugh at what Cleveland said, because I do believe that if you can't laugh at something offensive, you shouldn't laugh at anything offensive, but the other part of me just can't get past the double standard. I don't know who wrote that episode, if it was McFarlane himself, or someone else, but did he really need to include that line? Was this person not aware that one of the main character's friends just so happens to be white?

Anyway, what's your stance on racial humor? Are you bothered by the double standard? Are you able to laugh at everything? Discuss.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
What was the context in which Cleveland said the statement?
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
You make some very fine points, Lucas. The double standard does need to go away.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

Yes, Double Standards are not good.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts
Play on xbox live much? O.o
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I don't like the double standard either. However, I laugh at everything. Jokes about my own race too, I'm not offended by white jokes. They should have just left cleaveland on family guy, his 'spinoff' isn't really funny. They basically make the same jokes as on family guy, over and over and over. South park is much better.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JustPlainLucas
What was the context in which Cleveland said the statement?clayron
Unfortunately, I didn't catch it. My attention wasn't on the tv at the time when I heard the joke. It was probably Cleveland's reaction to a white person doing something stupid.
ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ColonelWilks
Member since 2005 • 3149 Posts

Racial humor is not for the easily offended; I consider good racial humor to be the type that makes light of(rather than embraces) long-standing stereotypes and misconceptions. As for double standards like the one you described, they exist due to the social history of our nation. I'm not justifying them, but it's not as if blacks and whites have been on equal footings throughout American history, lol.

And yes, the Cleveland Show is absolute garbage.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
I love racial humor. But your right Peter can't say that because it is offensive. Even I would feel offended. Your right there is a double standard. First of all you can't compare South Park to family guy. South Park was built on crude and racist humor that is why I laugh. But Family Guy was not so that would not be necessary. Second why are you so offended by what people said on the Cleveland show if it sucks? Last this social stigma will not go away there is too much history behind it to be stopped. Even after slavery there were still mounds of racism until at least the 70s.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

while i do agree that the double standard exists to varying degrees i don't think thats the best show to exemplify it. the humor is pretty much exactly the same as family guy. speaking of, i recorded those i should go watch'em and see for myself.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JustPlainLucas
Play on xbox live much? O.oBaconbits2004
Nope. But I know what you mean. :P I usually only play with a tight knit group of friends, though, so I very rarely run into that.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Agreed. Double standards suck.

EDIT: Excellent OP Justplainlucas

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

we need to do away with double standards.

Unfortunately I dont think it will ever go away

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]Play on xbox live much? O.oJustPlainLucas
Nope. But I know what you mean. :P I usually only play with a tight knit group of friends, though, so I very rarely run into that.

Lucky, Most of my friends don't play MW2 or anything that I play. :(

It's pretty funny hearing the "N Word" get tossed around so much by both black and white people. People from England and Germany too :P

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I agree with the OP 200%. All of these racial double standards against whites need to GTFO.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

Yup, the powers that be have decreed that certain groups are to be considered to have been wronged in perpetuity and nothing derogatory must ever, EVER be said about them. Certain other groups (namely white males) are to be the ones to bear the blame for all that is bad in the world and are fair game.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MgamerBD

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]Play on xbox live much? O.oSnipes_2

It's pretty funny hearing the "N Word" get tossed around so much by both black and white people. People from England and Germany too :P

No....its not...
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JustPlainLucas
I love racial humor. But your right Peter can't say that because it is offensive. Even I would feel offended. Your right there is a double standard. First of all you can't compare South Park to family guy. South Park was built on crude and racist humor that is why I laugh. But Family Guy was not so that would not be necessary. Second why are you so offended by what people said on the Cleveland show if it sucks? Last this social stigma will not go away there is too much history behind it to be stopped. Even after slavery there were still mounds of racism until at least the 70s. MgamerBD
Yeah, I don't know. I guess it just affected me while not being in the best of moods. Still, I'm also basing this on personal experience, because I've known black people to make white jokes all the time, and everyone laughs, but when the white member of the group makes a black joke, the room gets quite. And I know the stigma will never go away, which is a shame.

while i do agree that the double standard exists to varying degrees i don't think thats the best show to exemplify it. the humor is pretty much exactly the same as family guy. speaking of, i recorded those i should go watch'em and see for myself.

z4twenny
I only used it as an example, because it just happened and was fresh in my mind.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts

I agree with the OP 200%. All of these racial double standards against whites need to GTFO.

gamerguru100
I agree. I'm so sick of it.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JustPlainLucas

Agreed. Double standards suck.

EDIT: Excellent OP Justplainlucas

coolbeans90
Thank you.

we need to do away with double standards.

Unfortunately I dont think it will ever go away

Colin1192
Yeah... but one can always hope.

Snipes_2
Well, back when I was working for directory assistance, we had some old guy calling all of our operators the N word. We thought it was more pathetic than funny.
JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JonnyEagle
Member since 2009 • 1196 Posts
don't worry, the guy who voices Cleveland is white.......
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Snipes_2

don't worry, the guy who voices Cleveland is white.......JonnyEagle

But his character is not.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

hmm youre right. if they had said "I had never hated black people more" it would make national news. but replece black with white and its fine. its a sad state when we can all be made fun of equally, at least south park has founds the correct balance.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MgamerBD
don't worry, the guy who voices Cleveland is white.......JonnyEagle
See look problem solved.
TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 TheNewEraIcon
Member since 2009 • 12196 Posts

Totally agree! 150%! I'm someone who knows how to kick back and laugh at myself in life once in awhile. So i don't take it personally, but it is such a double standard honestly

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts
[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]don't worry, the guy who voices Cleveland is white.......MgamerBD
See look problem solved.

yeah thats true...because ultimately its a white guy saying that.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MgamerBD
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"][QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]don't worry, the guy who voices Cleveland is white.......IZoMBiEI
See look problem solved.

yeah thats true...because ultimately its a white guy saying that.

Yes that is how things work in this world....thats the reality...
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

I'm sick of it, but hey, watchya gonna do, right? >_>

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamerguru100

supa_badman
More and more people are going to "wake up" to these bull crap double standards....something could eventually happen...something SHOULD be done about it...
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

You make some very fine points, Lucas. The double standard does need to go away.scorch-62

agreed, it is a double standard

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]don't worry, the guy who voices Cleveland is white.......Snipes_2

yeah see thats the thing, the character is black....however, if the guy who voiced it is white, we cannot blame African-Americans for this, its some stupid remark made by a white guy, so its those responsible at network who should be blamed for poor decisions.

JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#32 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts
I am totally bothered by double standards. You are slowly realizing a crap load of people in this world are, in fact, hypocrites.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JustPlainLucas

supa_badman
Piss and moan about it on an Internet forum! :x
More and more people are going to "wake up" to these bull crap double standards....something could eventually happen...something SHOULD be done about it...gamerguru100
Maybe the world should become more like the one in Equilibrium.. That would solve a lot of things... >.>
Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

yep, i hate racist jokes

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]don't worry, the guy who voices Cleveland is white.......AFBrat77

yeah see thats the thing, the character is black....however, if the guy who voiced it is white, we cannot blame African-Americans for this, its some stupid remark made by a white guy, so its those responsible at network who should be blamed for poor decisions.

But if it was a White Character and a Black guy was voicing it would it still be the same if he said He hates Black Men? I think it would definitely make the news.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clayron

[QUOTE="clayron"]What was the context in which Cleveland said the statement?JustPlainLucas
Unfortunately, I didn't catch it. My attention wasn't on the tv at the time when I heard the joke. It was probably Cleveland's reaction to a white person doing something stupid.

So, you are just appalled by the statement but have no real clue what was happening with the show? Not saying the statement is justified or appropriate under any context, but to flip your **** from just one small statement seems silly.

Not to be a prick But family guy has no double standard, they have things that could be easily considered "racist" or playing a negative stereotype towards other ethnicities/religions. Plus, I believe that Family Guy, and its spin offs, is written by a series of white men, so the jokes really are not racist. I could see if a Tyler Perry show had said that -- then I would be on your side. But, its a cartoon developed by people who want to make a living by playing on stereotypes and making jokes.

I personally love racial HUMOR. Racism sucks. But racial humor is hilarious.

Just as an example I found some forums online where people were particularly offended by the following:

One.

Two.

Three.

I can not find a clip, but apparently there was a joke in a recent Family Guy Episode: "Dial Meg for Murder" that people the internets have called fairly racist. If I find the clip I will edit it.

JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#37 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts
I think "Jew Jokes" in particular are VERY annoying. I'm not Jewish (Or I dont think I am), but its CONSTANTLY talked about in movies and Tv. It is insanely annoying. I want to punch every single person who makes Jew jokes.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JustPlainLucas

AFBrat77
Actually, my thread is also addressing the group of African-Americans who are able to laugh at white jokes, but call black jokes offensive. So even though a white person said the joke, I'm still bothered those people laugh at it, but will get offended if it was the other way around.
ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ColonelWilks
Member since 2005 • 3149 Posts

Decrying something simply because it is a double standard isn't much of an argument, you have to examine the implications of whatever it is those standards apply to. Tax brackets can be considered double (even multiple) standards, as can be affirmative action and physical requirements for male/female soldiers in basic training. A reasonable case can be made for certain double standards, so make your arguments more substantive.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#40 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Any ethnicity making fun of white people is accepted. It's the same as with giving preference to ethnic workers for jobs as opposed to white ones.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MgamerBD
[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

JustPlainLucas
Actually, my thread is also addressing the group of African-Americans who are able to laugh at white jokes, but call black jokes offensive. So even though a white person said the joke, I'm still bothered those people laugh at it, but will get offended if it was the other way around.

No no no don't use the term African American. Also black people laugh at black jokes it just depends on the context, which I have said numerous times. I mean look at some comedians look at South Park look around. You ever wonder that it is just the white race that takes it more seriously out of fear. I remember in this episode of Family Guy when Stewie was about to tell a black joke and he looked around just to tell, then when the black guy comes he changes his joke.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clayron
[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

JustPlainLucas

Black people do not write the Cleveland Show. Its written by two white guys named Kevin Briggs and Julius Sharpe. How about you call them out on why they think it is okay to make those kind of jokes.
loft8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 loft8000
Member since 2008 • 1435 Posts

That happens all the time and its ******* stupid, as for the cleveland show its weak and pathetic, family guy and american dad are entertaining but cleveland show is just poor.

Btw are they gonna keep making family guy?????

JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JonnyEagle
Member since 2009 • 1196 Posts
[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

JustPlainLucas

Don't worry, nobody laughed, it's the Cleveland Show.....
Duxsox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 Duxsox56
Member since 2009 • 1186 Posts

Yeah, this whole racism deal is whack. Just on these here forums I was moderated for saying "Black people are stupid" while in the same thread a mod, and many other people said "White people are stupid" without moderation.

I don't really think black people are stupid, I was just testing to see if the response to my post would be different than it was to the others. Of course, it was.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gamerguru100

a mod, and many other people said "White people are stupid" without moderation.

I don't really think black people are stupid, I was just testing to see if the response to my post would be different than it was to the others. Of course, it was.

Duxsox56
No, GabuEx actually got modded for that so people would be happy. :P
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Surprisingly Family Guy got away with a very racist joke, I have no idea, I was in disbelief when I heard it.

Stewie was thinking of leaving his wife and he was talking to Brian.

Stewie: "What kind of man would I be if I just walked out on her?"

Brian: "Well you would be a black man."

My facial expression = :shock:

Anyway I agree the the double standard regarding racial humor should be done away with, it in itself is only promoting racism, it isn't solving the problem at all.

Duxsox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Duxsox56
Member since 2009 • 1186 Posts

[QUOTE="Duxsox56"]

a mod, and many other people said "White people are stupid" without moderation.

gamerguru100

No, GabuEx actually got modded for that so people would be happy. :P

Well.... he wasn't modded for a while, and only because people made a fuss. I was modded in literally under 5 minutes.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clayron

Surprisingly Family Guy got away with a very racist joke, I have no idea, I was in disbelief when I heard it.

Stewie was thinking of leaving his wife and he was talking to Brian.

Stewie: "What kind of man would I be if I just walked out on her?"

Brian: "Well you would be a black man."

My facial expression = :shock:

Anyway I agree the the double standard regarding racial humor should be done away with, it in itself is only promoting racism, it isn't solving the problem at all.

DarkGamer007
:lol: I remember that! :lol:
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Yeah, this whole racism deal is whack. Just on these here forums I was moderated for saying "Black people are stupid" while in the same thread a mod, and many other people said "White people are stupid" without moderation.Duxsox56
Well, first of all, his post was nothing more than sarcasm. Even then, he got modded for that.