"Why Does A Loving God Send People To Hell?" - video

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#151 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts

I once spoke with a friend of mine about this. I asked him if children go to hell. He told me he believes there is a frame of time when a child can die, not know God, and still go to heaven.

I asked him, "give me an age. What's an age that you would say is a reasonable time for God to lift the grace period?"

Perhaps without thinking, he told me, 8 years old.

So I told him, "okay. So imagine a starving child in Africa who dies at the age of 8. No missionaries reached his village, the message of Jesus was not preached to him, he has simply never heard the Word of God. That child is now burning forever. He has no hope for escape. Because of your God's arbitrary requirements for salvation, that child who was born, by no fault of his own, in an area of the world where your religion is unheard of, and where children die of disease and starvation every single day, is now burning in hell and is completely confused as to why. How can you feel comfortable trying to convince me, with no evidence, not only that such a God exists, but that he is fair and loving?"

He couldn't answer with any sort of logic. He knew I had cornered him and he simply told me he still believes, and that what I had said had not reached him in any meaningful way.

I used to tell myself that people who don't know God in different countries where Christianity doesn't exist, would automatically be sent to heaven. That's not theologically sound, however. It destroys the whole point of the message of this religion. It is irreconcilable. Either God is unworthy of worship, or simply does not exist. That was my conclusion.

Thuganomic05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#152 Thuganomic05
Member since 2004 • 3456 Posts

I once spoke with a friend of mine about this. I asked him if children go to hell. He told me he believes there is a frame of time when a child can die, not know God, and still go to heaven.

I asked him, "give me an age. What's an age that you would say is a reasonable time for God to lift the grace period?"

So I told him, "okay. So imagine a starving child in Africa who dies at the age of 8. No missionaries reached his village, the message of Jesus was not preached to him, he has simply never heard the Word of God. That child is now burning forever. He has no hope for escape. Because of your God's arbitrary requirements for salvation, that child who was born, by no fault of his own, in an area of the world where your religion is unheard of, and where children die of disease and starvation every single day, is now burning in hell and is completely confused as to why. How can you feel comfortable trying to convince me, with no evidence, not only that such a God exists, but that he is fair and loving?"

He couldn't answer with any sort of logic. He knew I had cornered him and he simply told me he still believes, and that what I had said had not reached him in any meaningful way.

I used to tell myself that people who don't know God in different countries where Christianity doesn't exist, would automatically be sent to heaven. That's not theologically sound, however. It destroys the whole point of the message of this religion. It is irreconcilable. Either God is unworthy of worship, or simply does not exist. That was my conclusion.

cheezisgoooood

Didn't read all of your post - but the beginning is what my post is directed towards.. Different religions believe different things. Catholics baptize children when they are still infants. Baptism is basically giving yourself to God and beginning to live your life for him. But, as a Christian, we believe that you should be baptized when you know why Jesus died and want to live your life for him. Meaning - if you die at 10 years old, and you're still an innocent child - not knowing right from wrong, you have no worries about going to Hell. It doesn't make a lot of sense... which is why my religious views have been doing 360 turns lately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#153 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

cheezisgoooood

You're making the assumption that Christianity and Christianity's literal version of Salvation is the sole representation of God and God's will for Humanity. Christianity is over 2,000 years old, was written for a specific region of the world, and for a specific culture.

Don't you think that God would provide new spiritual and social teachings for the modern age of our time?

muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 muffincakes87
Member since 2008 • 3913 Posts

Depends on how you picture Hell. Most people have the stereotypical view of whips and chains for the rest of eternity then yes, hell seems rather preposterous. That image was pretty much orginated from The Divine Comedy. But if you view hell as a place absence of God, then from a Christain stand point, Hell seems possible.

Thuganomic05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#155 Thuganomic05
Member since 2004 • 3456 Posts

[QUOTE="cheezisgoooood"]

Nuck81

You're making the assumption that Christianity and Christianity's literal version of Salvation is the sole representation of God and God's will for Humanity. Christianity is over 2,000 years old, as written for a specific region of the world, and for a specific culture. Don't you think that God would provide new spiritual and social teachings for the modern age of our time?

That's a good point - would a God expect us to live our lives like we are still living in the first century? The world has changed so much - in so many ways that we can't even compare today's society to what existed then.

If it's true... that is.

cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 cheezisgoooood

There is a reason the idea of hell has taken hold of so much of religion. It is because apostacy needs punishment. If there is no punishment, and no evidence, there is no reason for me to believe. If there is no hell, then God does not care whether I or anyone else believes or not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 deactivated-5e9044657a310

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="cheezisgoooood"]

Thuganomic05

You're making the assumption that Christianity and Christianity's literal version of Salvation is the sole representation of God and God's will for Humanity. Christianity is over 2,000 years old, as written for a specific region of the world, and for a specific culture. Don't you think that God would provide new spiritual and social teachings for the modern age of our time?

That's a good point - would a God expect us to live our lives like we are still living in the first century? The world has changed so much - in so many ways that we can't even compare today's society to what existed then.

If it's true... that is.

That's why I am no longer a Christian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 deactivated-5e9044657a310

There is a reason the idea of hell has taken hold of so much of religion. It is because apostacy needs punishment. If there is no punishment, and no evidence, there is no reason to believe. If there is no hell, then God does not care whether I or anyone else believes or not.

cheezisgoooood
That's incredibly flawed and pessimistic logic. Are you polite to people, refrain from Murder, rape, and theft, solely because you fear punishment? If there was no consequence would you regularly and willfully engage in such activity?
Avatar image for deactivated-58df4522915cb
deactivated-58df4522915cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#159 deactivated-58df4522915cb
Member since 2007 • 5527 Posts

umm because he gave us free will and the ability to choose right from wrong while warning us not to do evil acts to each other and he has the right to punish us much like a parent would to his/her children because he is god?

muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 muffincakes87

I once spoke with a friend of mine about this. I asked him if children go to hell. He told me he believes there is a frame of time when a child can die, not know God, and still go to heaven.:18

cheezisgoooood

For the needy shall not always be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever. (Pslam 9:18)

Your friend needs to do his homework. Eternal judgement of others is a sin. "Thou shall not have any other Gods before me." In your hypethical situation with your friend, he was wrong giving a judgment whether that child goes to hell or anyone in that fact. Your friend made himself a God by judging and predicting anothers eternal punishment.

cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 cheezisgoooood

[QUOTE="cheezisgoooood"]

There is a reason the idea of hell has taken hold of so much of religion. It is because apostacy needs punishment. If there is no punishment, and no evidence, there is no reason to believe. If there is no hell, then God does not care whether I or anyone else believes or not.

Nuck81

That's incredibly flawed and pessimistic logic. Are you polite to people, refrain from Murder, rape, and theft, solely because you fear punishment? If there was no consequence would you regularly and willfully engage in such activity?

Believing in something that has no evidence for its existence is apparently the same as refraining from murder, rape, and theft to you. In not believing, I have not inconvenienced anyone else. My question to you is, what reason is there for believing in something without evidence, if there is no punishment for not doing so? Why must I do it?

darx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 darx55
Member since 2008 • 1528 Posts

[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="gaming25"]

So? It's still what he did himself.

Pikdum

I'll ask the question again, why hate what he created? Is the sole purpose of Devil's creation is to be hated by the one who made him what he is? That seems to be unfair IMO. Probably why he would rebel and end up on Gods bad side. Kind of like me having a son and telling him "The purpose of your existence is to be the sponge for my hatred". Then proceed to punish him every way one can think of....

God didn't create the devil. He created Lucifer, Lucifer loved god so much he wanted to be him and he didn't want to serve humanity. Then god casted him down and he became the Devil and corrupted angels became demons. So god didn't directly create the Devil. I'm not religious though so correct me if I'm wrong.

I have trouble understanding how a creation of god can be powerful enough to oppose him though.

i belive the last part is truth.but then i think,if god is really all knowing,then he would have known that lucifer would eventually turn into the devil.why did he not stop this?if he really loved people,why would he just let all the devil get a hold of so many people?its contradictory.hes not all knowing,or he doesnt love people...he cant do both.

cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 cheezisgoooood

For the needy shall not always be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever.(Pslam 9:18)

Your friend needs to do his homework. Eternal judgement of others is a sin. "Thou shall not have any other Gods before me." In you hypethical situation with your friend, he was wrong giving a judgment whether that child goes to hell or anyone in the fact. Your friend made himself a God by judging and predicting anothers eternal punishment.

muffincakes87

And the kicker is, he wants to be a missionary. I agree, he needs to do his homework.

Nowhere does it say in the Bible whether there is a grace period, or how long that period lasts. However, the question is problematic all the same, in my opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 deactivated-5e9044657a310

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="cheezisgoooood"]

cheezisgoooood

Believing in something that has no evidence for its existence is apparently the same as refraining from murder, rape, and theft to you. In not believing, I have not inconvenienced anyone else. My question to you is, what reason is there for believing in something without evidence, if there is no punishment for not doing so? Why must I do it?

You shouldn't, that's your choice. You said Hell and punishment is the sole reason that people believe in God and religion. My Religion does not believe in Hell, or at least not a hell where you spend every waking moment of eternity playing Marco Polo in a Lake of Fire. In Fact no other religions believe in a hell of a Lake of Fire and endless torment. That is solely a Christian invention and not even all Christian denominations believe in it as well. Probably because it doesn't have a lot of Biblical evidence to back it up. Unless you take a lot of scripture out of context and apply to it to situations that it doesn't relate too. So No, I do not believe in God because I fear going to Hell.
cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 cheezisgoooood

You shouldn't, that's your choice. You said Hell and punishment is the sole reason that people believe in God and religion. My Religion does not believe in Hell, or at least not a hell where you spend every waking moment of eternity playing Marco Polo in a Lake of Fire. In Fact no other religions believe in a hell of a Lake of Fire and endless torment. That is solely a Christian invention and not even all Christian denominations believe in it as well. Probably because it doesn't have a lot of Biblical evidence to back it up. Unless you take a lot of scripture out of context and apply to it to situations that it doesn't relate too. So No, I do not believe in God because I fear going to Hell.Nuck81

Oh hey, straw man argument, didn't see you there.

No I didn't. Read my post again.

EDIT: Actually you know what, I can see where you get that insinuation. While I didn't intend for it to sound that way, it does seem to say that in some way. I'll go back and edit the post and highlight it so that it doens't cause any more misunderstanding.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#166 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I think the better question is why does a loving god send people to church?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 deactivated-5e9044657a310

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]

You shouldn't, that's your choice. You said Hell and punishment is the sole reason that people believe in God and religion. My Religion does not believe in Hell, or at least not a hell where you spend every waking moment of eternity playing Marco Polo in a Lake of Fire. In Fact no other religions believe in a hell of a Lake of Fire and endless torment. That is solely a Christian invention and not even all Christian denominations believe in it as well. Probably because it doesn't have a lot of Biblical evidence to back it up. Unless you take a lot of scripture out of context and apply to it to situations that it doesn't relate too. So No, I do not believe in God because I fear going to Hell.cheezisgoooood

Oh hey, straw man argument, didn't see you there.

No I didn't. Read my post again.

Just saw your edit. We're cool.

Edit in response to your new statement. What exactly would you consider evidence?

cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 cheezisgoooood

As far as evidence goes, I need something verifiable. God in general is described as invisible, untouchable, and outside of our realm. You can no better prove that than you can prove invisible this or invisible that. Because of that, there is no evidence, and just like I can make up the idea that there is an invisible pyramid right in the middle of Manhattan, i can also make up that there is a being who created the universe who is invisible and outside of our realm.

If you're talking a specific religion that makes claims that it has access to God, well every religion does that, and generally with the same results. There would have to be a really really good reason to believe the claims of any religion, because there are so many out there. If the only reason they give is the same as the reasons all the other ones give, such as "you can see god all around you," or "my personal experience tells me it's true," or "(insert religious text) makes vague prophecies that came true," or "my toast has the portrait of (insert religious figure) on it," those, to me, don't count as evidence. I need something unique that proves that that specific god exists, and that can be tested and verified, and that you can make predictions based on, kind of like scientific evidence. I have yet to see such evidence, but I have always welcomed anyone to provide me with some.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 deactivated-5e9044657a310

As far as evidence goes, I need something verifiable. God in general is described as invisible, untouchable, and outside of our realm. You can no better prove that than you can prove invisible this or invisible that. Because of that, there is no evidence, and just like I can make up the idea that there is an invisible pyramid right in the middle of Manhattan, i can also make up that there is a being who created the universe who is invisible and outside of our realm.

If you're talking a specific religion that makes claims that it has access to God, well every religion does that, and generally with the same results. There would have to be a really really good reason to believe the claims of any religion, because there are so many out there. If the only reason they give is the same as the reasons all the other ones give, such as "you can see god all around you," or "my personal experience tells me it's true," or "(insert religious text) makes vague prophecies that came true," or "my toast has the portrait of (insert religious figure) on it," those, to me, don't count as evidence. I need something unique that proves that that specific god exists, and that can be tested and verified, and that you can make predictions based on, kind of like scientific evidence. I have yet to see such evidence, but I have always welcomed anyone to provide me with some.

cheezisgoooood
I agree with you. There is no way to ever be able know God as God is simply beyond our comprehension. This a quote from my Religion.

God is so far beyond His creation that, throughout all eternity, human beings will never be able to formulate any clear image of Him or attain to anything but the most remote appreciation of His superior nature. Even if we say that God is the All-Powerful, the All-Loving, the Infinitely Just, such terms are derived from a very limited human experience of power, love, or justice. Indeed, our knowledge of anything is limited to our knowledge of those attributes or qualities perceptible to us

That's why my religion emphasizes knowing the attributes and qualities of God rather than God itself. A direct quote from the Son of my religions founder

Know that there are two kinds of knowledge: the knowledge of the essence of a thing and the knowledge of its qualities. The essence of a thing is known through its qualities; otherwise, it is unknown and hidden. As our knowledge of things, even of created and limited things, is knowledge of their qualities and not of their essence, how is it possible to comprehend in its essence the Divine Reality, which is unlimited? ... Knowing God, therefore, means the comprehension and the knowledge of His attributes, and not of His Reality. This knowledge of the attributes is also proportioned to the capacity and power of man; it is not absolute

I don't know if this helps, but my religion concentrates on knowing the attributes and essence of what God actually means. Rather than focusing on knowing the Physical being itself. Although we do believe that a Physical God exists, there is no way we can ever comprehend what he is. So instead we concentrate on the Idea of God itself. It may not be enough for everybody, but to me at least, to truly believe in a Religion requires at least a little blind Faith. :shrugs:
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#170 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Not all denominations of Christianity believe the same thing. Some denominations don't even believe in hell. Then, you have some people who make up their own beliefs or hear rumors about what happens. I knew one person who said that you do go to hell if you sin but it's like a jail sentence, where you only stay a certain amount of time depending on what sin you committed.

Fact of the matter is that you're not going to convert or make someone an Atheist on a video game forum. If a forum post was enough to give you doubts your religion (or lack of religion) wasn't that strong to begin with. Makes me wonder why religious topics are even allowed here. I'd rather see a bunch of hot girl topics than these, at least with hot girl topics you have some eye candy instead of a bunch of insults.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 deactivated-5e9044657a310
at least with hot girl topics you have some eye candy instead of a bunch of insults.ad1x2
No part of this, or at least anything I have been discussing has degraded to insults. If it does I will simply stop participating. I like discussing these things. I really love philosophy and theology. I enjoy thinking about things in new ways and challenging preconceived ideas and beliefs. In five years I have gone from being a devout Christian. To an Agnostic (after my Father died) to being a Baha'i. People can change their ideas and they can change their beliefs. For some I'm sure it is just an opportunity to insult and make fun of others. Those folks are pretty easy to spot and ignore. For others it's simply a chance to exchange ideas and learn. Do it think I will convert anyone? No, and that is not my intention, and I hope no one thinks it is. I'm just really interested in what others have to say. Almost every discussion about theology or religion I have leads to me hearing or thinking about a new question I had never previously had. It's finding the answers to those questions in my own study and search for knowledge that I tend to find my Faith strengthened and more secure. It's one of the reasons I seek discussions such as this.
muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 muffincakes87

[QUOTE="ad1x2"]at least with hot girl topics you have some eye candy instead of a bunch of insults.Nuck81
No part of this, or at least anything I have been discussing has degraded to insults. If it does I will simply stop participating. I like discussing these things. I really love philosophy and theology. I enjoy thinking about things in new ways and challenging preconceived ideas and beliefs. In five years I have gone from being a devout Christian. To an Agnostic (after my Father died) to being a Baha'i. People can change their ideas and they can change their beliefs. For some I'm sure it is just an opportunity to insult and make fun of others. Those folks are pretty easy to spot and ignore. For others it's simply a chance to exchange ideas and learn. Do it think I will convert anyone? No, and that is not my intention, and I hope no one thinks it is. I'm just really interested in what others have to say. Almost every discussion about theology or religion I have leads to me hearing or thinking about a new question I had never previously had. It's finding the answers to those questions in my own study and search for knowledge that I tend to find my Faith strengthened and more secure. It's one of the reasons I seek discussions such as this.

I agree. I love reading these comments because it aspires my own faith. Its good to know and recognize your own doubts or fallacies. You're suppose to wrestle with whatever you believe in. I do fear, though, the residual effect of too many people relying on internet forums like this to get their opinions from. Like this topic, for example: Why does a loving God send people to Hell? There been countless of authors and theologians who been on both sides arguing this topic of hundreds of years, yet people go on OT to discover the answers instead reading an actual book.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

[QUOTE="ad1x2"]at least with hot girl topics you have some eye candy instead of a bunch of insults.Nuck81
No part of this, or at least anything I have been discussing has degraded to insults.

That was in reference to most religious topics in general, not just this one. Almost every religion topic has at least one or two people in it who either imply or flat out say that only a total moron would be religious (despite Harvard and Yale graduates who are religious) and anybody with intelligence would know that God doesn't exist. It's the main reason a lot of them get locked. I like to have a conversation or a debate but in my short time in OT I've learned that any topic that talks about religion or music that isn't metal is destined to have people come in and belittle others.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#174 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

cause he doesnt truly forgive herpy derpy derp

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

umm because he gave us free will and the ability to choose right from wrong while warning us not to do evil acts to each other and he has the right to punish us much like a parent would to his/her children because he is god?

Neo-ganon
Show me a parent who thinks eternal damnation is an appropriate punishment.