"My taste in music is better than yours"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts

I like most all music but I do have my favorites Metalcore and Glam Rock. The Only music I despise is Gangsta Rap. Some pop I like as Lady Gaga is the **** I was brought up on country and still listen to the classics from time to time. Symphony Choral is pretty epic also.

Actually, I'd be quicker to say that my taste is worse :P At least by popular opinion.

Not that I actually think anyone's taste in music is better or worse, just different.

zeldaluff

I can't tell you how many people have told me they hate Metalcore. So I like what I like and won't say I have better taste then anyone basically.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Taste is neither here nor there, but I will concede I know many people with a similar taste who are far more knowledgeable than me and whose catalogues are better than my own.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

because I like better music, less people know about it, simple as that.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#54 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Im sorry then... I am an "elitist: by that definition. Taste in music is regarded to the wide range of styles and context within genres, NOT preference. With that said, I am a strong believer that artists within their field of work can be measured up against one another. Opinions can be formed to think why artist A is better than artist B and examples can be giving. Its silly that we can compare different forms of art like food and literature to form a strong argument but when it comes to music, for the sake of people not bothering to learn about it, the "its my opinion" card is pulled. That imo is more elitist than claiming to know more, and actually proving it with knowledge you have discovered yourself. Its better than being some pretend phony....

Theirs nothing wrong with claiming you have better taste than someone else, however there is a difference when you put someone down for liking it and that is just being rude.

mexicangordo

I don't know. I think saying to somebody "I have better taste than you" would seem pretty douchey. I mean, there's nothing wrong than thinking one has better taste than another person, but to actually go out there and "compare" tastes just seems kind of immature.

I don't think anybody is saying that music can't be compared to eachother within genres (I do believe that some songs are better than others for various reasons) and I like a good musical argument, but I don't think anyone should pretend that there's some kind of objectivity involved. There simply isn't. Yes, one might have a stronger argument for why they think one song is better, but at the end of the day, it is just that, an opinion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="FFCYAN"]Why would music somebody else likes be better than what I like? Should I like music I don't enjoy hearing because it's "better" because another person believes what they listen to is best? That's absurd.

mexicangordo

That's only assuming that "liking something" makes it "good".

If you are ever willing to accept that someone can like something that's just plain bad, then it makes perfect sense that you'd be willing to admit that someone else's taste in music is better than yours.

Very well said and agreed.

But to take "liking something" out of the equation of something being "good" would be to imply that one can objectively prove something to be good, which doesn't work on any logical level.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 GreySeal9

iloverikku11

I don't get what "less people know about it" has to do with anything.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Apparently, people think my favorite music is just screaming. I point out that it's not just screaming, but rather a complicated process of aggressive, hard-to-maintain vocalization and range of singing, and complex and mathematical songwriting and instrumentation. They don't listen, which proves that my taste are, indeed, superior.CRS98
The hell is mathematical songwriting? Most of the time I hardly understand what they are saying...
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

[QUOTE="iloverikku11"]

GreySeal9

well maybe not, but it shows how passionate I am about music, I am willing to explore everything and looks as hard as I can to find something I really enjoy. It may not make my music objectively better but it does show that I am passionate about music to a level most people aren't.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

Im sorry then... I am an "elitist: by that definition. Taste in music is regarded to the wide range of styles and context within genres, NOT preference. With that said, I am a strong believer that artists within their field of work can be measured up against one another. Opinions can be formed to think why artist A is better than artist B and examples can be giving. Its silly that we can compare different forms of art like food and literature to form a strong argument but when it comes to music, for the sake of people not bothering to learn about it, the "its my opinion" card is pulled. That imo is more elitist than claiming to know more, and actually proving it with knowledge you have discovered yourself. Its better than being some pretend phony....

Theirs nothing wrong with claiming you have better taste than someone else, however there is a difference when you put someone down for liking it and that is just being rude.

GreySeal9

I don't know. I think saying to somebody "I have better taste than you" would seem pretty douchey. I mean, there's nothing wrong than thinking one has better taste than another person, but to actually go out there and "compare" tastes just seems kind of immature.

I don't think anybody is saying that music can't be compared to eachother within genres (I do believe that some songs are better than others for various reasons) and I like a good musical argument, but I don't think anyone should pretend that there's some kind of objectivity involved. There simply isn't. Yes, one might have a stronger argument for why they think one song is better, but at the end of the day, it is just that, an opinion.

yea it is douchy, and I wouldnt do it. That is what my last sentence is for, I mean who actually compares taste to one another on a casual basis? Nobody does! (well i do that with my music friends sometimes only cause we are music geeks) :P

I think thats exactly what it is, a comparison can be made however don't take my words too literal. I am just answering within the context of this thread. The point im trying to make is, taste can be determined (if it came down to that) and opinions only go so far.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]Im sorry then... I am an "elitist: by that definition. Taste in music is regarded to the wide range of styles and context within genres, NOT preference. With that said, I am a strong believer that artists within their field of work can be measured up against one another. Opinions can be formed to think why artist A is better than artist B and examples can be giving. Its silly that we can compare different forms of art like food and literature to form a strong argument but when it comes to music, for the sake of people not bothering to learn about it, the "its my opinion" card is pulled. That imo is more elitist than claiming to know more, and actually proving it with knowledge you have discovered yourself. Its better than being some pretend phony.... Theirs nothing wrong with claiming you have better taste than someone else, however there is a difference when you put someone down for liking it and that is just being rude.

Can you give an example of how you would compare two different artist and how you determine which is better than which.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Screaming, or whatever they want to call it to avoid the fact that it is screaming or growling, sucks, it has been scientifically proven.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="iloverikku11"]

iloverikku11

well maybe not, but it shows how passionate I am about music, I am willing to explore everything and looks as hard as I can to find something I really enjoy. It may not make my music objectively better but it does show that I am passionate about music to a level most people aren't.

Fair enough.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

That's only assuming that "liking something" makes it "good".

If you are ever willing to accept that someone can like something that's just plain bad, then it makes perfect sense that you'd be willing to admit that someone else's taste in music is better than yours.

GreySeal9

Very well said and agreed.

But to take "liking something" out of the equation of something being "good" would be to imply that one can objectively prove something to be good, which doesn't work on any logical level.

Again my friend, your being to literal. By that definition you can never prove Pepperoni Pizza is good. Which we can :P

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Lonelynight
taste can be determined (if it came down to that) and opinions only go so far.mexicangordo
Then how do you determine what is good taste and what is bad?
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

You can't help it, people will have their opinions. I'm pretty open minded and understand what I may like nobody else likes. When I first heard Eminem the only song I heard of his (I didn't listen to the radio that much back then) was "My Name Is." I thought he was some kind ofjoke rapper based on that song and dismissed him until I heard the rest of his work. Some people will do the dismiss part and just leave it at that. I may not like metal but I have enough common sense to know people out there do like it and I'm not going to insult their taste of music. I would hope people wouldn't dismiss my taste in hip hop but the fact of the matter is that people will always act like if they don't like it then it's crap and if somebody does like it they're obviously mentally handicapped.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

mexicangordo

yea it is douchy, and I wouldnt do it. That is what my last sentence is for, I mean who actually compares taste to one another on a casual basis? Nobody does! (well i do that with my music friends sometimes only cause we are music geeks) :P

I think thats exactly what it is, a comparison can be made however don't take my words too literal. I am just answering within the context of this thread. The point im trying to make is, taste can be determined (if it came down to that) and opinions only go so far.

Well, I assume that standards have something to do with taste, but are standards anything other than a collection of elevated opinions?

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]Im sorry then... I am an "elitist: by that definition. Taste in music is regarded to the wide range of styles and context within genres, NOT preference. With that said, I am a strong believer that artists within their field of work can be measured up against one another. Opinions can be formed to think why artist A is better than artist B and examples can be giving. Its silly that we can compare different forms of art like food and literature to form a strong argument but when it comes to music, for the sake of people not bothering to learn about it, the "its my opinion" card is pulled. That imo is more elitist than claiming to know more, and actually proving it with knowledge you have discovered yourself. Its better than being some pretend phony.... Theirs nothing wrong with claiming you have better taste than someone else, however there is a difference when you put someone down for liking it and that is just being rude.Lonelynight
Can you give an example of how you would compare two different artist and how you determine which is better than which.

Sure, Lady Gaga and Miley Cirus are two pop artist that target the same demograph. However, I strongly believe Lady Gaga is far more talented. She writes her own music, and is a classically train pianist. She likes to use 120 BPM disco which is incredible easy to listen too and makes you wanna dance, while giving a pop chorus and hooks. All that stuff is catchy and easy to remember. Aside from that she is a strong singer (you might not like her singing, but she can sing) as opposed to Miley who prefers not to write her own songs with fears of not achieving a hit, has a nasal voice in high pitches, and relies on a pop chorus to uplift her songs.

That was a kinda shallow example, but it was an example as to what i mean. And i would say its one that people can understand. Now someone can come from the other prospective with other facts and "prove" why Miley is better.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"] Very well said and agreed.

mexicangordo

Again my friend, your being to literal. By that definition you can never prove Pepperoni Pizza is good. Which we can :P

You can send me a box of Pepperoni Pizza so that I can scientifically verify that. :P

Maybe I'm being overly literal again, but isn't it true that you can't prove that pepperoni pizza is good?

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I've always found it weird that people seem to be so attached to the idea that their music is the best. More so than other media like games and movies. (although they are like that about those too).
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"]Im sorry then... I am an "elitist: by that definition. Taste in music is regarded to the wide range of styles and context within genres, NOT preference. With that said, I am a strong believer that artists within their field of work can be measured up against one another. Opinions can be formed to think why artist A is better than artist B and examples can be giving. Its silly that we can compare different forms of art like food and literature to form a strong argument but when it comes to music, for the sake of people not bothering to learn about it, the "its my opinion" card is pulled. That imo is more elitist than claiming to know more, and actually proving it with knowledge you have discovered yourself. Its better than being some pretend phony.... Theirs nothing wrong with claiming you have better taste than someone else, however there is a difference when you put someone down for liking it and that is just being rude.mexicangordo

Sure, Lady Gaga and Miley Cirus are two pop artist that target the same demograph. However, I strongly believe Lady Gaga is far more talented. She writes her own music, and is a classically train pianist. She likes to use 120 BPM disco which is incredible easy to listen too and makes you wanna dance, while giving a pop chorus and hooks. All that stuff is catchy and easy to remember. Aside from that she is a strong singer (you might not like her singing, but she can sing) as opposed to Miley who prefers not to write her own songs with fears of not achieving a hit, has a nasal voice in high pitches, and relies on a pop chorus to uplift her songs.

That was a kinda shallow example, but it was an example as to what i mean. And i would say its one that people can understand. Now someone can come from the other prospective with other facts and "prove" why Miley is better.

Conversely they can say neither is good.....why does it have to be one or the other?
Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Tetrarch9
Screaming, or whatever they want to call it to avoid the fact that it is screaming or growling, sucks, it has been scientifically proven. SF_KiLLaMaN
Well just because you don't like it doesn't mean others such as myself don't too.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]taste can be determined (if it came down to that) and opinions only go so far.Lonelynight

Beh you took that out of context. I can tell you why I think The Smashing Pumpkins are better than Radiohead (just an example...) but how would we argue that? By stating facts against eachother, and at the end of the day, we will still listen to whatever we enjoy, regardless if its "bad" or not. These are all extream cases i will say. :P

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]Can you give an example of how you would compare two different artist and how you determine which is better than which. LJS9502_basic

Conversely they can say neither is good.....why does it have to be one or the other?

Its an example.... Just an example to answer HIS question. To answer YOU"RE question their doesnt need to be one. Its just all within the context of this thread. I mean who honestly constantly compares artists or taste? No body.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Well, I assume that standards have something to do with taste, but are standards anything other than a collection of elevated opinions?

Im not so sure what elevated opinion means...Im assuming its the same as our "douche" example, which is a different situation in general.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"] Sure, Lady Gaga and Miley Cirus are two pop artist that target the same demograph. However, I strongly believe Lady Gaga is far more talented. She writes her own music, and is a classically train pianist. She likes to use 120 BPM disco which is incredible easy to listen too and makes you wanna dance, while giving a pop chorus and hooks. All that stuff is catchy and easy to remember. Aside from that she is a strong singer (you might not like her singing, but she can sing) as opposed to Miley who prefers not to write her own songs with fears of not achieving a hit, has a nasal voice in high pitches, and relies on a pop chorus to uplift her songs.

mexicangordo

Its an example.... Just an example to answer HIS question. To answer YOU"RE question their doesnt need to be one. Its just all within the context of this thread. I mean who honestly constantly compares artists or taste? No body.

I was just curious. I don't find either particularly interesting......
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"]Im sorry then... I am an "elitist: by that definition. Taste in music is regarded to the wide range of styles and context within genres, NOT preference. With that said, I am a strong believer that artists within their field of work can be measured up against one another. Opinions can be formed to think why artist A is better than artist B and examples can be giving. Its silly that we can compare different forms of art like food and literature to form a strong argument but when it comes to music, for the sake of people not bothering to learn about it, the "its my opinion" card is pulled. That imo is more elitist than claiming to know more, and actually proving it with knowledge you have discovered yourself. Its better than being some pretend phony.... Theirs nothing wrong with claiming you have better taste than someone else, however there is a difference when you put someone down for liking it and that is just being rude.mexicangordo

But again, in that argument, you're still relying on opinions.

Like I said, I do think that one can certainly make a stronger argument for their preferred artists or song or album or whatever, but they will pretty much need to engage in tons of subjectivity to do it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"]taste can be determined (if it came down to that) and opinions only go so far.mexicangordo

Beh you took that out of context. I can tell you why I think The Smashing Pumpkins are better than Radiohead (just an example...) but how would we argue that? By stating facts against eachother, and at the end of the day, we will still listen to whatever we enjoy, regardless if its "bad" or not. These are all extream cases i will say. :P

In this example I'd imagine both bands are talented and good at their craft. Which is preferred comes down to preference though....
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Conversely they can say neither is good.....why does it have to be one or the other?LJS9502_basic

I was just curious. I don't find either particularly interesting......

So you feel special. That, "you might not like her singing..." part was mostly targeted to you since I know you strongly dislike her. And then you came along with that question, how weird is that? :P

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"] Then how do you determine what is good taste and what is bad? LJS9502_basic

In this example I'd imagine both bands are talented and good at their craft. Which is preferred comes down to preference though....

Thats totally fair...BUT again, to answer the things that have been asked within this thread, and give extream cases (which ive been saying all day long) If one were to compare, facts would be provided rather than "my opinon."

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"] yea it is douchy, and I wouldnt do it. That is what my last sentence is for, I mean who actually compares taste to one another on a casual basis? Nobody does! (well i do that with my music friends sometimes only cause we are music geeks) :P

mexicangordo

Im not so sure what elevated opinion means...Im assuming its the same as our "douche" example, which is a different situation in general.

By "elevated opinion", I mean that musical standards are not objective, but are rather opinions that are given alot of clout. They rely on people getting together subjectively defining said standards. So whle a certain kind of film might be considered good "taste", it's only considered good taste because of very subjective standards.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]Sure, Lady Gaga and Miley Cirus are two pop artist that target the same demograph. However, I strongly believe Lady Gaga is far more talented. She writes her own music, and is a classically train pianist. She likes to use 120 BPM disco which is incredible easy to listen too and makes you wanna dance, while giving a pop chorus and hooks. All that stuff is catchy and easy to remember. Aside from that she is a strong singer (you might not like her singing, but she can sing) as opposed to Miley who prefers not to write her own songs with fears of not achieving a hit, has a nasal voice in high pitches, and relies on a pop chorus to uplift her songs. That was a kinda shallow example, but it was an example as to what i mean. And i would say its one that people can understand. Now someone can come from the other prospective with other facts and "prove" why Miley is better.

Thanks.
Beh you took that out of context. I can tell you why I think The Smashing Pumpkins are better than Radiohead (just an example...) but how would we argue that? By stating facts against eachother, and at the end of the day, we will still listen to whatever we enjoy, regardless if its "bad" or not. These are all extream cases i will say. :Pmexicangordo
What do you think about saying a statement like "x man/woman listens to bad music".
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"] Beh you took that out of context. I can tell you why I think The Smashing Pumpkins are better than Radiohead (just an example...) but how would we argue that? By stating facts against eachother, and at the end of the day, we will still listen to whatever we enjoy, regardless if its "bad" or not. These are all extream cases i will say. :P

mexicangordo

Thats totally fair...BUT again, to answer the things that have been asked within this thread, and give extream cases (which ive been saying all day long) If one were to compare, facts would be provided rather than "my opinon."

Oh I don't deny that talent varies amongst musicians...though in this example I'd not say either band was more talented than the other.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"] Then how do you determine what is good taste and what is bad? LJS9502_basic

And it further comes down to preference as one might not find either band to be particularly good at their craft.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

By "elevated opinion", I mean that musical standards are not objective, but are rather opinions that are given alot of clout. They rely on people getting together subjectively defining said standards. So whle a certain kind of film might be considered good "taste", it's only considered good taste because of very subjective standards.

But now you are getting at something totally different. I feel like I am being incredible redundant since Ive been reapting the same things over and over so I'll just directly answer that question. Being good is universal isnt it? I mean you might not like The Beatles, but you can still respect what they have done? Right? Or you might not like Pizza ( :P) but you might be able to see why others enjoy it, right? Again it might not be the case for everything but...Do you kinda see what im saying?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] In this example I'd imagine both bands are talented and good at their craft. Which is preferred comes down to preference though....LJS9502_basic

Oh I don't deny that talent varies amongst musicians...though in this example I'd not say either band was more talented than the other.

And this phrase exemplifies why I was arguing a while ago that talent is subjective.

Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Tetrarch9
Lonely Night you like those *** pop bands right? like the Brown Eyed Girls. Do you know what they're saying?
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]Sure, Lady Gaga and Miley Cirus are two pop artist that target the same demograph. However, I strongly believe Lady Gaga is far more talented. She writes her own music, and is a classically train pianist. She likes to use 120 BPM disco which is incredible easy to listen too and makes you wanna dance, while giving a pop chorus and hooks. All that stuff is catchy and easy to remember. Aside from that she is a strong singer (you might not like her singing, but she can sing) as opposed to Miley who prefers not to write her own songs with fears of not achieving a hit, has a nasal voice in high pitches, and relies on a pop chorus to uplift her songs. That was a kinda shallow example, but it was an example as to what i mean. And i would say its one that people can understand. Now someone can come from the other prospective with other facts and "prove" why Miley is better.Lonelynight
Thanks.
Beh you took that out of context. I can tell you why I think The Smashing Pumpkins are better than Radiohead (just an example...) but how would we argue that? By stating facts against eachother, and at the end of the day, we will still listen to whatever we enjoy, regardless if its "bad" or not. These are all extream cases i will say. :Pmexicangordo
What do you think about saying a statement like "x man/woman listens to bad music".

Thats just being rude. Just to give someone the chance to be better than someone else. I would say that it would be elitism or them being douchey

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"] Thats totally fair...BUT again, to answer the things that have been asked within this thread, and give extream cases (which ive been saying all day long) If one were to compare, facts would be provided rather than "my opinon."

GreySeal9

And this phrase exemplifies why I was arguing a while ago that talent is subjective.

*sigh* I don't really wish to discuss this with you again. However, I was not talking subjectively in regard to the talent but objectively. Subjectivity is the preference one has to either band or neither band.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] In this example I'd imagine both bands are talented and good at their craft. Which is preferred comes down to preference though....LJS9502_basic

Yea, maybe a comparision of Queen and Lady Ga Ga would have been better :P

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Oh I don't deny that talent varies amongst musicians...though in this example I'd not say either band was more talented than the other.LJS9502_basic

*sigh* I don't really wish to discuss this with you again. However, I was not talking subjectively in regard to the talent but objectively. Subjectivity is the preference one has to either band or neither band.

Geezus, finally someone else....

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"] Im not so sure what elevated opinion means...Im assuming its the same as our "douche" example, which is a different situation in general.

mexicangordo

But now you are getting at something totally different. I feel like I am being incredible redundant since Ive been reapting the same things over and over so I'll just directly answer that question. Being good is universal isnt it? I mean you might not like The Beatles, but you can still respect what they have done? Right? Or you might not like Pizza ( :P) but you might be able to see why others enjoy it, right? Again it might not be the case for everything but...Do you kinda see what im saying?

I do, on some level, understand what you're saying. I think an intelligent person should, except in extreme cases, be able to figure out why somebody likes something instead of simply write it off because they don't care for it.

On the other hand, while I love The Beatles to death (I have all their records), if somebody said The Beatles are not a good band, I don't see how I could prove them wrong. I could potentially argue with them and make a much better case them them, but I couldn't actually prove their premise that The Beatles are not good wrong.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"]taste can be determined (if it came down to that) and opinions only go so far.mexicangordo

No, an extreme case would be comparing Vanilla Ice to Mozart.

Or comparing a Big Mac to a Filet Mignon.

It certainly gets HARDER to state which one is objectively better, once the two things start becoming similar in quality. But some things are just plain BAD, period. I might like Hot Pockets, but it's simply bad food regardless of if I like it. Wanna prove that there's objectivity, then compare the WORST of the worst to the BEST of the best.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"] Thats totally fair...BUT again, to answer the things that have been asked within this thread, and give extream cases (which ive been saying all day long) If one were to compare, facts would be provided rather than "my opinon."

mexicangordo

You know how to wound.:x Queen was the more talented.....
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Oh I don't deny that talent varies amongst musicians...though in this example I'd not say either band was more talented than the other.LJS9502_basic

I'm sure Lady Ga Ga is more popular among people. Wouldn't that make her the more talented performer?
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Lonelynight
But now you are getting at something totally different. I feel like I am being incredible redundant since Ive been reapting the same things over and over so I'll just directly answer that question. Being good is universal isnt it? I mean you might not like The Beatles, but you can still respect what they have done? Right? Or you might not like Pizza ( ) but you might be able to see why others enjoy it, right? Again it might not be the case for everything but...Do you kinda see what im saying?mexicangordo
With the Beatles example, they are influential, but to some, that might not have been a good thing, since they might hate their influence. And with the pizza, what if the person has a different kind of tastebuds because of some medical illness, and think that they are bad.
Lonely Night you like those *** pop bands right? like the Brown Eyed Girls. Do you know what they're saying?Tetrarch9
BEG is a Korean group, and not understanding what they are saying is one of the reason why I listen to them.
Thats just being rude. Just to give someone the chance to be better than someone else. I would say that it would be elitism or them being doucheymexicangordo
Ignoring the douchy behavior, do you think that they are right or wrong in thinking that?
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I do, on some level, understand what you're saying. I think an intelligent person should, except in extreme cases, be able to figure out why somebody likes something instead of simply write it off because they don't care for it.

On the other hand, while I love The Beatles to death (I have all their records), if somebody said The Beatles are not a good band, I don't see how I could prove them wrong. I could potentially argue with them and make a much better case them them, but I couldn't actually prove their premise that The Beatles are not good wrong.

You shouldn't have to feel obligated to prove anyone wrong. You can if you want, but it shouldnt be anything that would ruin your day.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Lonelynight
Geezus, finally someone else....mexicangordo
Why do you think that it is possible to be objective with music? And what do you use to measure it with?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"] Yea, maybe a comparision of Queen and Lady Ga Ga would have been better :P

Nibroc420

I'm sure Lady Ga Ga is more popular among people. Wouldn't that make her the more talented performer?

No. Talent is skill...not popularity. In some demographics she'd be more popular than Mozart or Beethoven. You aren't saying she's more talented?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

But what I'm arguing is that objectivity can't really exist when judging talent because it is ultimately a judgment.

Objectivity can only exist in regard to facts in their purest form, not any kind of judgment.

If talent was objective, you would be able to have some kind of objective process by which to determine which band is more talented.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You know how to wound.:x Queen was the more talented.....LJS9502_basic

No. Talent is skill...not popularity. In some demographics she'd be more popular than Mozart or Beethoven. You aren't saying she's more talented?

They're all performers. Their job is to entertain their current following whilst adding more fans to their "collection." As such, popularity is a great way to measure which entertainer/performer is more talented. Talent isn't all voice.